Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Spring Training 2019

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> Spring Training 2019 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spring Training 2019 - 2/14/2019 11:11:35 PM   
McMurfy

Ask and Ye shall receive.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/15/2019 7:31:10 AM   
SoMnFan

What the?
You da man.
Post #: 2
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/15/2019 10:59:20 AM   
McMurfy

Gibson’s comments yesterday, I interpreted as anti-Mauer.

Post #: 3
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/15/2019 11:02:17 AM   
TJSweens

What did Gibson say?

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 4
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/15/2019 11:12:14 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

What did Gibson say?

That Mauer sucked, was weird, bad leader and weak.
Overpaid, soft, lazy and stupid.

Post #: 5
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/15/2019 11:18:28 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

What did Gibson say?

That Mauer sucked, was weird, bad leader and weak.
Overpaid, soft, lazy and stupid.

No, I mean what did he say out loud.

Post #: 6
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/18/2019 8:43:51 AM   
TJSweens

I hate this decision. He is only 24, has been a starter all along, can touch 100 mph in that role. Why move him to the pen before he shows that he can't start? And if your going to tell me that 11 major league starts as a 23 year call up from AA was enough to show he can't start, you're stupid.

Twins plan to use Fernando Romero as reliever

22, 2018, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)
By BETSY HELFAND | bhelfand@pioneerpress.com |
PUBLISHED: February 16, 2019 at 8:35 pm | UPDATED: February 17, 2019 at 7:37 pm

FORT MYERS, Fla.— The Twins have been talking internally about moving Fernando Romero to the bullpen for months and Saturday, manager Rocco Baldelli said they’re planning on preparing him for “shorter stints” this spring.

Romero, who was the organization’s top pitching prospect heading into 2018, was a starter throughout his minor league career and made 11 starts with the Twins last season, posting a 4.69 earned-run average across his first 55 2/3 major league innings.

“Fernando we look at as a weapon going forward, and a guy that could fill the role as it was described in shorter stints, as someone we rely on to pitch important innings for us,” Baldelli said. “We see him as the kind of guy, with the mentality and the ability to be really impactful, and that’s why we’re doing what we’re doing.”

Though the Twins have talked about this for some time, they’ve only recently talked to Romero about it.

“I told him (Baldelli) I’m ready to face the role and I’m ready to pitch as a reliever,” Romero said.

Baldelli said when he brought it up to Romero, the righty pointed to his finger as if to indicate a ring and said he just wanted to win.

At the winter meetings in December, chief baseball officer Derek Falvey said Romero’s third pitch development “hasn’t come quite as far as we hope he can come,” as the righty needs another pitch to add to his fastball and slider to start.

Romero said he’s been working specifically on his slider and his release point this winter.

“There’s always — you’ve got to be working on all of these pitches, but I’ve been focusing on having better command of my four-seam fastball and my slider, too.”

While Romero gets set to start working as a reliever, Baldelli said the Twins will prepare Adalberto Mejia as a starter, giving him some length, at least initially in camp.

Nelson Cruz shows up, gets to work

Nelson Cruz reported to camp on Sunday morning, slapped some hands with his new teammates and then immediately went to work out.

“Yeah, that’s typical of myself,” Cruz said. “I like to get everything going early, so I have time to chat with you guys, chat with my teammates.”

No ejections? That could change

Near the end of his media session Sunday, Baldelli was asked for an over/under on the number of times he’d be ejected in his first season.

Baldelli didn’t give an exact number, though predicted he might eclipse his career total at some point.

“Never been tossed to this point, but I could see that changing at some point,” Baldelli said. “Zero career ejections, but I’ve got to believe that’s not going to stay where it’s at.”

Post #: 7
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/18/2019 8:49:44 AM   
TJSweens

The ‘new Miguel Sano’ arrives at camp slimmed down

By BETSY HELFAND | bhelfand@pioneerpress.com |
PUBLISHED: February 17, 2019 at 3:08 pm | UPDATED: February 18, 2019 at 8:13 am

FORT MYERS, Fla. — For years, Miguel Sano’s conditioning has been the focal point of plenty of chatter.

Often, it wasn’t good chatter.

It has picked up again this offseason and carried into the spring, but this time it’s for all the right reasons as a noticeably slimmed-down Sano arrived at Twins camp Sunday.

The “new Miguel Sano,” as he referred to himself, might have to wait a bit longer to join his teammates in all spring activities after suffering a cut on his right heel while in the Dominican Republic, but he drew rave reviews for his conditioning.

“We’re going to basically get it looked at first, then make a determination as far as timetable and see where he’s at,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “Otherwise, besides that, he looks great. He looks as good or better as we ever could have hoped coming into camp.”

Strength and conditioning coordinator Ian Kadish said Sano’s transformation began last June when the Twins sent him down to Class-A Advanced Fort Myers to reset.

Kadish assessed Sano in the Dominican Republic this offseason. He gave him an offseason program and the two communicated weekly through WhatsApp, FaceTime and videos that Sano sent along.

“He realized he needed to make the commitment to himself long-term, and he did,” Kadish said. “It’s still unfolding and it’s still putting in the effort and the work, and I think it’s just the start for him. I’m really excited to see how well he can perform and stay healthy and contribute to the club throughout the entire course of the year.”

Baldelli, who went down to visit Sano in the Dominican Republic, said the third baseman was “extremely engaged” this offseason with his workouts.

The results were evident.

“He worked really hard, and I think he’s really happy and proud of the way he approached the offseason,” Baldelli said. “When you see him … you’re going to see this guy spent a lot of time on his body and made it a focus of his winter.”

On his own initiative with permission from the Twins, Sano, who appeared briefly this offseason in the Dominican winter league, added yoga into his routine to increase his mobility.

As someone who hadn’t done yoga before, the first two weeks were difficult, he said, but after that, he started getting more comfortable with it.

“I feel better,” he said. “I worked really hard and I’ve been doing a lot of yoga and a lot of agility stuff and a lot of lifting so I feel really different from last year and I hope this year can be really good for everybody here.”

He also refined his eating habits, with his sister serving as his nutritionist. He said she would probably come with him to Minnesota once the season started.

Sano spent the offseason eating plenty of fish, chicken and steak, occasionally eating pork.

“We won’t have something if it’s not good nutrition,” he said.

Now, when Sano’s heel heals, it’s time to see whether the new diet and training routine will provide the results on the field that Sano and the Twins are depending on.

After an all-star season in 2017, Sano regressed last year, hitting .199/.281/.398 while battling injures and dealing with his weight. For the Twins to be successful this year, they will need rebound performances from Sano and Byron Buxton.

If the offseason is any indication, they’re on the right path.

“New year, 2019, everything’s in the past,” Sano said. “It’s just good to see something different for now and the new Miguel Sano. We’ve got a great team, so we look at the positive stuff, so the negatives we’re leaving in the past.”

Post #: 8
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/18/2019 9:51:55 AM   
TJSweens

Slightly smaller Miguel Sano aiming for big gains with Twins this year
But the slugger arrived at camp with a cut on his leg.
By Phil Miller Star Tribune FEBRUARY 18, 2019 — 6:18AM

FORT MYERS, Fla. – The winter project of Team Sano reported to Twins camp on Sunday, the cumulative effort of a nutritionist and a football trainer and a yoga instructor and a batting coach and yes, the big third baseman himself, all amalgamated into the noticeably slimmer but still intimidating chassis of Miguel Sano.

The long-rumored but now self-evident conditioning commitment made an immediate impression on his teammates, who streamed past Sano’s locker to welcome him back. But if Twins feel like celebrating Sano’s makeover — “The new Sano,” the man himself declared — be forewarned: Celebrating has already complicated this comeback story line.

“I feel great,” Sano said more than once, but Twins manager Rocco Baldelli later revealed a caveat in that affirmation. Sano might not be able to take part fully when Baldelli conducts the team’s first full-squad workout Monday, the reported fallout from a raucous celebration following his hometown winter league team’s unlikely Dominican championship, its first in 51 years. Sano suffered a cut on the back of his lower right leg, apparently during the on-field jubilation after Estrellas Orientales’ series-clinching victory over Toros del Este on Jan. 23, and he will be examined further Monday.

“It’s something we are going to keep an eye on,” Baldelli said. “Truthfully, I’m not really sure” how long the laceration might keep Sano from 100 percent participation, though the new manager didn’t sound concerned. Rather, Baldelli sounded eager to see whether the prodigious slugger has been weaponized anew by his weight loss.

Sano maintained he isn’t certain how much lighter he is, but clubhouse observers put the reduction, from his reporting weight in the 290s a year ago, at a couple dozen pounds, at least.

“We’re thrilled at what he looks like,” Baldelli said. “He worked really hard and he’s really happy and proud of the way he approached the offseason.”

Sano approached it with a squadron of support. He employed his usual batting teacher, former big leaguer Fernando Tatis, to help him refine his swing and reclaim his grasp of the strike zone. He hired his sister to serve as his nutritionist, even moved her into his house, and tasked her with limiting him to healthy foods, and in appropriate amounts. He hired a personal trainer, a football guru from Texas, who ratcheted up Sano’s normal offseason workouts.

“It’s hard because I never did football stuff. Everything is a little harder,” Sano said. “If you want to get better, that’s what it takes. I took some positive stuff and I’d go home and do these.”

Sano even tried yoga, in hopes of recovering some of the flexibility that allows him to patrol third base despite his unusual size. “I’ve been doing a lot of yoga and a lot of agility stuff and a lot of lifting. So I feel really different from last year,” an injury-pocked season that quickly spiraled into a .199 batting average, 115 strikeouts in 71 major league games and a June demotion to Class A. “I hope that this year can be really good for everyone here.”

So does Baldelli, who delivered that message in person this offseason with a visit to Sano in the Dominican Republic, a trip to personally demonstrate his support for Sano’s mind-set. “He was extremely engaged. He worked really hard and he’s really happy and proud of the way he approached the offseason,” Baldelli said. “You’re going to see this guy spent a lot of time on his body and made it a focus of his winter.”

The pair bonded over their intention to make 2019 a successful new start for the Twins and their 25-year-old slugger, Sano said.

“It was a great meeting down there” in the Dominican Republic, Sano said. “When I saw him face-to-face, I saw he’s a great person. He can help the team have a lot of [positive] mentality.”

After a quiet winter — well, as quiet as an offseason that began with a 3 a.m. incident outside a bar that left a police officer hospitalized, an episode that Sano did not address, can be — Sano tested his newfound agility by joining Estrellas for the Dominican Winter League playoffs. Sano served as designated hitter for 12 games, batting .222 (10-for-45) with one home run, two doubles, five RBI, four walks and 12 strikeouts.

He will be more than a DH once the Twins take the field. After taking a look at the lighter and hopefully nimbler Sano, Baldelli reaffirmed his commitment to Sano as his third baseman.

“One hundred percent. People like to focus on the fact that he’s a big, strong guy. The guy is an incredible athlete,” Baldelli said. “You watch him move, he doesn’t move like a guy who is 6-4 and big and strong like that. He moves like a smaller man. He’s light on his feet.”

He’s lighter all over now. The Twins hope that makes for a weightier presence in their lineup.

Post #: 9
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/19/2019 10:35:50 AM   
ronhextall

Sano out 7 to 10 days with cut on foot, shows up at spring training with a brace on it.

ROFLMAO.

Welcome to the SAME OLD SHIT.
Post #: 10
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/19/2019 10:41:13 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Sano out 7 to 10 days with cut on foot, shows up at spring training with a brace on it.

ROFLMAO.

Welcome to the SAME OLD SHIT.

This will be used as the excuse for his shitty Spring training and start to the season. And it will also allow him time to beef up around the belly a bit.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 11
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/19/2019 4:40:01 PM   
Mr. Ed

Sano can be the new Say Hey! kid

as in

Fat Albert

(HEY!HEY!HEY!)

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 12
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/19/2019 6:35:05 PM   
Mr. Ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87cIxZXEME

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 13
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/22/2019 3:45:41 PM   
lylej

TWINS signed Marwin Gonzales...versatile who can play almost anywhere in the field and infield!

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins/breaking-twins-to-sign-versatile-marwin-gonzalez-r7546?fbclid=IwAR1YzOQVj9Vqippb9boCM56UoJ-2r-63cIYTlmMZ7JonPbywSOZFTAH7OfE

Good pitching will beat good hitting any time, and vice versa.
Post #: 14
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/22/2019 3:58:45 PM   
TJSweens

Believe it or not, 2 years ago Gonzalez actually finished in the top 20 in the American League MVP voting.

Post #: 15
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/22/2019 4:06:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

Too bad he can't catch. Castro sucks.

Post #: 16
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/22/2019 8:57:22 PM   
twinsfan

How did I not know Ichiro is officially back? Shouldn't that be all over the news? Just watched him single in a couple runs against the A's.

--------------------------
---------
--
Post #: 17
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/23/2019 7:29:31 PM   
lylej

Buxton hot .... 2-2 5 RBIs!

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/rays-vs-twins/2019/02/23/566945#game_state=live,game_tab=,game=566945

Good pitching will beat good hitting any time, and vice versa.
Post #: 18
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/23/2019 7:46:12 PM   
Mr. Ed

Cave, Gordon with a couple of hits on the road, pitching pretty much sucked.

Buxton 5 RBI's in the 6 spot with a 3 run ding and 2 run single.

Lineup went

Polanco
Schoop
Cruz
Rosario
Buxton
Astudillo (C)
Kirilloff (0-3)
Rosales (3B)

Post #: 19
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/24/2019 10:28:54 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: lylej

Buxton hot .... 2-2 5 RBIs!

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/rays-vs-twins/2019/02/23/566945#game_state=live,game_tab=,game=566945

I recall Buxton still at only four RBI last season into the early part of May.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 20
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/24/2019 12:22:30 PM   
Mr. Ed

Kepler led off with a HR vs Boston

Garver and Wade had doubles to make it 2-0 in the first.

Post #: 21
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/24/2019 12:41:12 PM   
Mr. Ed

Perez gave up a dinger(solo)

Probably first of many

Post #: 22
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/24/2019 12:41:39 PM   
Mr. Ed

Kepler HR's again in the second inning

Some thing named Cesar also hit a solo hr.

Post #: 23
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/24/2019 12:47:25 PM   
Mr. Ed

Perez gives up a double to Nunez and RBI single

First of many

Post #: 24
RE: Spring Training 2019 - 2/24/2019 12:53:55 PM   
Boyd Tesch

With the game not on KWAT last night or today. so glad to have XM radio app on my phone to listen to the game.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> Spring Training 2019 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode