Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/18/2019 11:09:28 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Six games in and a closed door, players only meeting after the game......like that will help anything.

What did they do? Assemble the players, so that their captain could stand up and be stoic?

According to Russo you could hear him being stoic behind the door.
The only quote from after the meeting was from who else.......Zucker.

"I think more than (a meeting's) going to have to jumpstart us to be honest with you,” the 27-year-old Jason Zucker said, per Russo. “It’s going to be each individual guy from Bruce on down. Bruce has got to be better. We’ve got to be better. Everybody’s got to be better. That’s it."

“Honestly, I’ve never seen anything like it,” Zucker said about the team’s ability to concede tallies in bunches. “It’s like they score one goal and all of a sudden we decide let’s just give them two more and then we’ll start playing again. I don’t have an answer for it.”

Wild defenceman Matt Dumba says the team has the players in the room capable of turning things around.

“We all have to take a look in the mirror and kind of take some onus on our game and helping each other,” he said, per Russo. “We aren't going to get far if we don't come together here and it's going to be miserable like it is right now.”

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 351
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/18/2019 11:31:55 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Six games in and a closed door, players only meeting after the game......like that will help anything.

What did they do? Assemble the players, so that their captain could stand up and be stoic?

Problem is, our leaders are just mouth-pieces now, they can't lead by example because they are done, as in used up (Koivu, Staal, Parise, Sutes).

Zucker should have some juice left, but he just seems too comfy with his current role to really turn it on and lead.
Post #: 352
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/18/2019 1:37:01 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Problem is, our leaders are just mouth-pieces now, they can't lead by example because they are done, as in used up (Koivu, Staal, Parise, Sutes).

Zucker should have some juice left, but he just seems too comfy with his current role to really turn it on and lead.

No kidding. Those 4 have been very expensive invisible men.

Parise especially. Parise at his best was a hard working opportunistic guy who fed off of chances created by talented players surrounding him. But when surrounded by mediocrity and he's expected to be 'The Guy'...not to mention that he's older and slower...he disappears. Magic.
Post #: 353
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/18/2019 3:32:00 PM   
thebigo

Is it time for a post-mortem thread yet?
Post #: 354
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/18/2019 5:54:13 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Is it time for a post-mortem thread yet?

Nah, there's a few of us here that will just keep on watching and hoping.....it's what we do.
Post #: 355
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/20/2019 8:51:46 AM   
stfrank

From a tweet dated 10/17.....
Tonight Darcy Kuemper (@dkuemps35) became the first goalie in franchise history to allow two or fewer goals in 12 consecutive starts. 🔥
Why is it they always seem to blossom once they leave the Wild?
Post #: 356
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 7:24:42 AM   
SoMnFan

Loved his one. Kudos

All is good now!
We won a game barely last night, against an average NHL team, playing twice in 20 hours.
But it was glorious
Parise and Zucker the "stars" Not.

Hunt and Foligno remain the only two guys imo, who have earned a meal all year.
The rest all feel sorry for themselves.
"hot goalie' excuses abound.
Pssst ….. not every goalie is playing out of his mind against us, because we're us …. Its funny we would think that.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 357
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 7:49:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Loved his one. Kudos

All is good now!
We won a game barely last night, against an average NHL team, playing twice in 20 hours.
But it was glorious

Pssst ….. not every goalie is playing out of his mind against us, because we're us …. Its funny we would think that.

If we don't turn the puck over all the time we have a shot...who would have thunk it?

Add Hartman to your meal ticket list Scott.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 358
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 8:04:29 AM   
SoMnFan

Agreed
Like Hartman
A lot
Especially when the media types want to blame him for our woes.
"he turns the puck over" … Duh, yeah. Because he gets to it, at least.
BB said as much last night … "yeah, we want to clean up his mistakes, but the guy does so much more good than bad"
Bingo.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 359
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 8:50:01 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Loved his one. Kudos

All is good now!
But it was glorious

If we don't turn the puck over all the time we have a shot...who would have thunk it?

Add Hartman to your meal ticket list Scott.

Add Kunin and Ek too.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 360
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 9:36:05 AM   
SoMnFan

The list grows, but I'd agree on those two, as well
Kunin has grown on me, seems like a winner who's pissed off he's losing
Ek's showing the toughness and willingness we need as well

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 361
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 9:40:40 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

The list grows, but I'd agree on those two, as well
Kunin has grown on me, seems like a winner who's pissed off he's losing
Ek's showing the toughness and willingness we need as well

The issue is that all of the guys we mentioned will continue to languish on the 3rd and 4th lines, while guys who are solidly in decline like Koivu, Parise and Staal and an underachiever like Zucker will be top 6 and get all of the power play shifts.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 362
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 9:45:27 AM   
SoMnFan

Exactly
Those on our list have been the STARS
But they are looked at as our grunts.
When teams get upside down like that, its time to scrap the project.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 363
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 10:23:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

No reason to not have Mikko and Parise on the third line. Less Minutes and they should have less PP minutes. During our best seasons (just a couple/few ago) they were limited in the playoffs. Keep them rested....maybe just give them a game off now and then?

Only reason to have them on the top two is showcasing for a trade.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/21/2019 10:24:58 AM >

Post #: 364
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 10:28:03 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

No reason to not have Mikko and Parise on the third line. Less Minutes and they should have less PP minutes. During our best seasons (just a couple/few ago) they were limited in the playoffs. Keep them rested....maybe just give them a game off now and then?

Show casing them for trades is pointless. They have full No Move contracts. Can't trade them ... can't waive them and send them to the minors ... can't leave them unprotected in a waiver draft .... just can't get rid of them unless they retire.

Post #: 365
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 12:34:59 PM   
SoMnFan

Its funny how these Mn teams morph into each other over time
This talk is similar to what we used to do in the Twins thread
We all spent years trying to limit Mauer's at-bats and PT, while the sheep were all anytime something like that got mentioned
I can tell you with complete certainty right now … there are a LARGE number of rabid Wild fans who would be speechless if they saw us talking this way about the two untouchables
They are still considered our only elite players. (in their circles) Makes it impossible to talk to them about reducing or eliminating them.

Walz kept droning on and on about keeping Mikko out there for the face offs in the final minutes.
Off the top of my head, I'd say he won AT Best … one of the six he took
Mn sports legends live off of perceived excellence in areas …. wayyyyyyyy longer than they should be allowed to.
Neither Koivu or Parise is even average at their strengths at the current time. But people love them so deeply they cannot see truth or cold hard facts.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 366
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 12:38:27 PM   
SoMnFan

Much like the crowd that still does the horrific DOOOOOOOOOOOB thing.
It should be only in mocking, at this point.
Decent players with game around here last a couple years and we easily move on
Players who have some kind of special attachment or schtik with the fans, last forever here.
Can't pry them out of their cold, dead, hands.
Get these guys to accept reduced roles. or piss them off by sitting them. Lets see how long they keep that NTC attached to their name.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 367
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 12:38:32 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

We all spent years trying to limit Mauer's at-bats and PT, while the sheep were all anytime something like that got mentioned
I can tell you with complete certainty right now … there are a LARGE number of rabid Wild fans who would be speechless if they saw us talking this way about the two untouchables
They are still considered our only elite players. (in their circles) Makes it impossible to talk to them about reducing or eliminating them.

Walz kept droning on and on about keeping Mikko out there for the face offs in the final minutes.
Mn sports legends live off of perceived excellence in areas …. wayyyyyyyy longer than they should be allowed to.
Neither Koivu or Parise is even average at their strengths at the current time. But people love them so deeply they cannot see truth or cold hard facts.

Here is the mythology about Mikko's face off winning percentage. He cheats constantly on the draw. He either gets away with and wins a high percentage of those or he gets booted from the face off (and he gets booted A LOT) and doesn't get tagged for it when a winger loses the draw in his place.

Post #: 368
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 1:29:26 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Here is the mythology about Mikko's face off winning percentage. He cheats constantly on the draw. He either gets away with and wins a high percentage of those or he gets booted from the face off (and he gets booted A LOT) and doesn't get tagged for it when a winger loses the draw in his place.

Great point....I haven't paid much attention until the last game. I always thought he was good at Faceoffs but technology showed the faceoff enlarged and he was kicked out.

Post #: 369
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/21/2019 3:21:38 PM   
kevinemmer

Mikko squared off legally at the dot happens as much as Mikko crashing the net or finishing a check....
Post #: 370
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/22/2019 8:55:57 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

Show casing them for trades is pointless. They have full No Move contracts. Can't trade them ... can't waive them and send them to the minors ... can't leave them unprotected in a waiver draft .... just can't get rid of them unless they retire.

What about another scenario? Picture them WANTING to be traded because they see their chances for a Stanley Cup being with another team that just needs one more piece to take them to the top. In that situation they would waive their no trade clause, correct?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 371
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/22/2019 9:02:07 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

What about another scenario? Picture them WANTING to be traded because they see their chances for a Stanley Cup being with another team that just needs one more piece to take them to the top. In that situation they would waive their no trade clause, correct?

I don't see that either. Both Parise and Suter prioritized signing here so they could play close to home and be with their families year round. That seems to be a higher priority than the Cup.

Post #: 372
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/22/2019 9:06:41 AM   
Lynn G.

That's true, about Parise and Suter. But who knows how dear a Stanley Cup would be to them? They're both strong competitors.

I feel like I have to keep reminding people how in awe we were that July when we signed the two of them on the same day. We were hoping for one of the two, and that's all we dared hope for. When the news hit that we got both of them I think we all felt like we'd won the lottery.

It's just interesting to me to read how angry people are with the front office of the Wild for having them on the team just a few short years later. It makes sense to decry the fact that their signing didn't lead to a Stanley Cup - yet - but to be ticked at the team for their very existence in Wild jerseys is weird.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 373
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/22/2019 12:00:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

That's true, about Parise and Suter. But who knows how dear a Stanley Cup would be to them? They're both strong competitors.

I feel like I have to keep reminding people how in awe we were that July when we signed the two of them on the same day. We were hoping for one of the two, and that's all we dared hope for. When the news hit that we got both of them I think we all felt like we'd won the lottery.

It's just interesting to me to read how angry people are with the front office of the Wild for having them on the team just a few short years later. It makes sense to decry the fact that their signing didn't lead to a Stanley Cup - yet - but to be ticked at the team for their very existence in Wild jerseys is weird.

It's called "regret"*.

Sometimes you think you're making a good decision and it turns out to be horrible. It doesn't mean you have to hold to your original opinion.

*Also it can be referred to as "the history of the Minnesota Timberwolves organization"...
Post #: 374
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/22/2019 12:44:15 PM   
SoMnFan

Well said DL
I think we've all gone thru our mea culpas on that huge move
It was huge and it was exciting, and no one knows how it will play out.
I guess at least we can say it gave us elevated expectations for many years.
Its like lots of things in life, buy the fancy pretty sports car, and always need the pickup instead.
Buy the big fancy house and then find out later your family used to be happier in that cute little starter house you had.
Should be an interesting couple of years ahead, if nothing else.
Definite regret, but nothing that we can immediately fix at this point.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode