Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 3:40:11 PM   
ratoppenheimer

looks like dillon is headed to the practice squad....

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings make signing of Brett Jones official and waive TE Brandon Dillon.

Eric Thompson@eric_j_thompson
BRETT'S BACK! The #Vikings have re-signed Brett Jones, waived Brandon Dillon, and released K Chase McLaughlin from the Practice Squad.

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 9/10/2019 3:54:32 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 4:16:14 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

The Vikes averaged 4.5 yards per carry. Pulling out the five best carries might help an argument and that's about it. As has been posted by others a few times since the game the Vikes could have run play-action pass to great success any time they wanted but they chose not to - because they didn't need to. I also posted this morning that I really REALLY hope we stuck to the run because we finally got smart and didn't just get lucky and stumble across a winner by chance.

4.5 yards per carry against a defense that knows we're running is complete domination. The Vikes won that game from start to finish with a sound strategy and therefore I don't give two flipety doos. In fact, now I don't even give one.

It's not about winning an argument. It's about objectively assessing the running game over the course of the entire game. 68% of our offensive plays averaged 2.12 yards. You can argue that they didn't wind up needing to mix in a couple of passes to keep the defense honest, but that doesn't make it a good strategy. When your offense is that inefficient, you put a tremendous burden on the defense to make the strategy work. Keep giving the ball back to the other team and you invite them to get back in the game. You can call it brilliant game planning if you want. I think it's also a case of the Vikings away with it.

FWIW, the Viking coaches have also alluded to the fact that weren't entirely happy with the running game.

Up 28-0?

Now we go into Greem Bay not having shown quite as much of our playbook.
Post #: 377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 4:26:28 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

The Vikes averaged 4.5 yards per carry. Pulling out the five best carries might help an argument and that's about it. As has been posted by others a few times since the game the Vikes could have run play-action pass to great success any time they wanted but they chose not to - because they didn't need to. I also posted this morning that I really REALLY hope we stuck to the run because we finally got smart and didn't just get lucky and stumble across a winner by chance.

4.5 yards per carry against a defense that knows we're running is complete domination. The Vikes won that game from start to finish with a sound strategy and therefore I don't give two flipety doos. In fact, now I don't even give one.

It's not about winning an argument. It's about objectively assessing the running game over the course of the entire game. 68% of our offensive plays averaged 2.12 yards. You can argue that they didn't wind up needing to mix in a couple of passes to keep the defense honest, but that doesn't make it a good strategy. When your offense is that inefficient, you put a tremendous burden on the defense to make the strategy work. Keep giving the ball back to the other team and you invite them to get back in the game. You can call it brilliant game planning if you want. I think it's also a case of the Vikings away with it.

FWIW, the Viking coaches have also alluded to the fact that weren't entirely happy with the running game.

Up 28-0?

Yeah, it's not like the Packers already know our personnel and that we run first ... you know the kind of things they would know if they had played us twice a year, every year of our existence .... oh, wait ... I'm sure the Puker coaches are going to lose sleep all week over it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 4:31:24 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Up 28-0?

Yeah, it's not like the Packers already know our personnel and that we run first ... you know the kind of things they would know if they had played us twice a year, every year of our existence .... oh, wait ... I'm sure the Puker coaches are going to lose sleep all week over it.

And I suppose the Vikings can expect the Packers defense to be the same old crappy defense they've been over the last few seasons... you know the kind of things they would know if we had played them twice a year, every year of our existence .... oh, wait ...
Post #: 379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 4:33:04 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Up 28-0?

And I suppose the Vikings can expect the Packers defense to be the same old crappy defense they've been over the last few seasons... you know the kind of things they would know if we had played them twice a year, every year of our existence .... oh, wait ...

Precisely my point. Not digging into our playbook isn't going to make a whole hell of a lot difference.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 4:41:03 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

BRETT'S BACK! The #Vikings have re-signed Brett Jones, waived Brandon Dillon, and released K Chase McLaughlin from the Practice Squad.

Was the timing (release before the 1st game, bring back after the 1st game) just to avoid guaranteeing the contract? Vested veteran shenanigans? Got to play those games when you're tight against the salary cap.
Post #: 381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 4:52:55 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Was the timing (release before the 1st game, bring back after the 1st game) just to avoid guaranteeing the contract? Vested veteran shenanigans? Got to play those games when you're tight against the salary cap.

It could also be to keep Dillon on PS by giving him a game check.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 5:08:39 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

One convincing regular season home victory, and the talk turns to where the SB parade should be located; Lol.

But the analysis here is really cool, it usually is, provided it doesn't get caught up in personal disputes.

Shelf the Elf, lol. But he is one of Santefanski's little helpers.

Learn to read sarcasm....
Post #: 383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 5:32:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I take all of these cuts personally. I don't know why. I'm glad that Dillon is still a Viking. Personally I would rather keep him than Rudolph. That's me. Rudolph had a holding penalty last Sunday. He's a lousy blocker so he has to cheat. I'm thrilled about the blocking of Irv Smith, though. Maybe that made Dillon less necessary.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 5:45:57 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This was interesting to watch.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1171549874443059200

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 7:12:48 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I take all of these cuts personally. I don't know why. I'm glad that Dillon is still a Viking. Personally I would rather keep him than Rudolph. That's me. Rudolph had a holding penalty last Sunday. He's a lousy blocker so he has to cheat. I'm thrilled about the blocking of Irv Smith, though. Maybe that made Dillon less necessary.

I heard Conklin got dinged up
Post #: 386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 7:15:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Up 28-0?

Precisely my point. Not digging into our playbook isn't going to make a whole hell of a lot difference.

How much difference would you say?
Post #: 387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 7:31:58 PM   
TJSweens

None.

Post #: 388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:05:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

You have to love on successive plays Cousins throws a pass to Dalvin in the flat who gets tackled for no gain.Falcons LBer Deon Jones

stands over Cook celebrating as the broadcast team lauds about how Jones is the best LBer in the league nobody knows about.

Next play Dalvin absolutely trucks over that same Jones about 25 yards down the field. Dalvin changes the scoreboard two plays later from 19 yards out.

Special player w/ better blocking bodes well.

Favorite play of the game, Dalvin trucking a guy who had him lined up
Dudes a real football player
Still think he hits the hole faster than any back we've had
I'm sure that will get shot down, but it just appears that way to me.
Love how he bursts thru small openings.
That can make a shitty O line look ok. An ok O line look good, and an above-average O Line look fantastic.
Hope we keep growing what we saw, and I hope we realize the scouting that will be done on us from this point on.
Creativity in play-calling is going to start to get more important every week. Starting now.

Cook is so fun to watch.

Very smooth and explosive.
(seems like a contradictory statement, but he is smooth and fast! )

I told my buddy here to draft Cook in FF; that he'd be monster this year. First time in 17 years I don't have a FF team, kinda nice to turn off the games after the Vikes played.

Cook reminds me a bit of Robert Smith. He could hit the hole and be through it with the best of them (pls Cook & AP among the top Vikes I've seen speed through the hole). Smith was also deceptively fast, so smooth, you didn't realize the chunks of yards he was eating up. Loved the debate on who would be faster Smith or Moss.

Cook is fast, but not Moss/Smith fast. However, Cook runs with more power and is harder to tackle. Robert Smith so fast and seldom gets recognition for it. As I said before I have seen Randy Moss get caught from behind. Have never seen Robert Smith get caught from behind. Not saying I'm just saying.

I think you're mistaken about Smith not getting recognition for being fast. My recollection was that it was often mentioned that he ran the 100M in college, and I would imagine that OSU is reasonably competitive nationally.

No question he was recognized as fast. Just not recognized as fast as he actually is. One of the fastest ever in the NFL. I'm not saying he was faster than Moss, but I'm not saying Moss was faster than him either.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:10:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

quote:

Couple of thoughts on the other posts.

We did what Bilichick does. Finally. They couldn't stop the run, we f****** ran it down their throats. Would 1-2 play-actions have helped extend a drive or two late in the game. Sure. But the game was over by mid way through the 3rd Quarter. Atlanta was warming up their back-up. It's a good thing we are pseudo-debating this (instead of "real issues"). Didn't think twice during or after the game about offensive play calling.

Elf has to be on a short leash. Garrett is tough. So is Hicks, Daniels, Clark, Cox, etc, etc, etc. Yes they were attacking him, and so will every other defensive coordinator worth a grain of salt. You can argue 2nd string all day, but Jones best year in the NFL dwarfs Elf's best year. I'm not saying pull him today, but Elf completely whiffed on too many plays not to be worried. Almost got Cousins killed on that fumble. OR you better have a scheme that protects him, which is tough with a rookie Center.

I would say we ran effectively enough. I wouldn't say we ran it down their f****** throats. The Vikings piled up 102 rushing yards on 5 explosive plays, which is quite impressive. We didn't really control the ball that well on the ground outside of that. The remaining 33 runs averaged 2.12 ypc. Even if you take out Cousins's sneak totals of 4 yards on 6 carries, you have 27 carries at an average of 2.47.

The defense and special teams combined to give the offense some short fields and the offense took advantage nicely and turned them into touch downs. When it came to the grind it out, control the ball eat the clock phase of the game, they were not all that effective running the ball.

pretty much anytime we wanted, we could have played action and killed them, they were selling out on the run, but we didnt need to

like i said previously, i would have preferred a few more reps to practice are pass protection, but understand why we didnt

The goal is to win the game. I don't give two flipety doos about how many yards we gained in any facet of the game. This reminds me of how enthralled many are/were of AD's rushing titles. THEY ARE MEANINGLESS.

One come a day there's going to be a parade down Washington Avenue and won't be for anything other than winning enough to get to the Super Bowl and then winning that.

You should and it's nothing at all like being enthralled with AD's rushing titles. I am talking about TEAM performance, not individual. The fact is that Atlanta was 29th in the NFL against the run. Our strategy once we got ahead was to run and chew the clock. The strategy worked because of the effectiveness of the defense. Not because of the effectiveness of the running game.

Point is it worked for whatever reason.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:11:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Expect #Vikings CB Mackensie Alexander to miss about 4 weeks with dislocated elbow. Big blow to the Vikings secondary with Hughes and Hill both out.

(Vikeologist on Twitter)

Don't be so fast to say Hughes is out.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:12:53 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Top Graded #Vikings on offense yesterday via @PFF

- Adam Thielen 85.0
- CJ Ham 78.4
- Chad Beebe 73.2

Lowest Graded #Vikings on offense yesterday
- Garrett Bradbury 35.1
- Ameer Abdullah 48.5
- Pat Elflein 58.1

(Matt Anderson on Twitter)

I saw some film breakdown on Bradbury and he was instrumental in several of our best plays. Do people actually care about what PFF has to say?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:15:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

PFT Power Ranking

7. Saints (1-0; No. 8): It’s been a long time since they’ve been 1-0.

8. Vikings (1-0; No. 11): The Vikings finally figured out how to best use Kirk Cousins... As little as possible.

9. Packers (1-0; No. 16): The “audible thing” provided good cover for the fact that the defense appears to be significantly improved.

10 pass plays Cousins completed 8 with a TD. I'd say he did very well in the chances he had.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:20:03 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

Anyone believing PFF should stop now.
Elf rated higher than Garrett...r u flipping kidding me.
Whomever came up with ELF ON THE SHELF, needs a gold star!!!

Exactamundo. PFF rankings are only worth the paper they are printed on if you use that paper for bathroom purposes.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:25:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This is pretty good at explaining the confusion of why Jones was released and then re-signed. I can not figure out why the Vikings did it.

https://youtu.be/vW6T1hAOpKs

Post #: 395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:26:41 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

PFT Power Ranking

7. Saints (1-0; No. 8): It’s been a long time since they’ve been 1-0.

8. Vikings (1-0; No. 11): The Vikings finally figured out how to best use Kirk Cousins... As little as possible.

9. Packers (1-0; No. 16): The “audible thing” provided good cover for the fact that the defense appears to be significantly improved.

10 pass plays Cousins completed 8 with a TD. I'd say he did very well in the chances he had.

80% completion rate is pretty good
hope he keeps it up
Post #: 396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:28:05 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

You have to love on successive plays Cousins throws a pass to Dalvin in the flat who gets tackled for no gain.Falcons LBer Deon Jones

stands over Cook celebrating as the broadcast team lauds about how Jones is the best LBer in the league nobody knows about.

Next play Dalvin absolutely trucks over that same Jones about 25 yards down the field. Dalvin changes the scoreboard two plays later from 19 yards out.

Special player w/ better blocking bodes well.

Favorite play of the game, Dalvin trucking a guy who had him lined up
Dudes a real football player
Still think he hits the hole faster than any back we've had
I'm sure that will get shot down, but it just appears that way to me.
Love how he bursts thru small openings.
That can make a shitty O line look ok. An ok O line look good, and an above-average O Line look fantastic.
Hope we keep growing what we saw, and I hope we realize the scouting that will be done on us from this point on.
Creativity in play-calling is going to start to get more important every week. Starting now.

Cook is so fun to watch.

Very smooth and explosive.
(seems like a contradictory statement, but he is smooth and fast! )

I told my buddy here to draft Cook in FF; that he'd be monster this year. First time in 17 years I don't have a FF team, kinda nice to turn off the games after the Vikes played.

Cook reminds me a bit of Robert Smith. He could hit the hole and be through it with the best of them (pls Cook & AP among the top Vikes I've seen speed through the hole). Smith was also deceptively fast, so smooth, you didn't realize the chunks of yards he was eating up. Loved the debate on who would be faster Smith or Moss.

Cook is fast, but not Moss/Smith fast. However, Cook runs with more power and is harder to tackle. Robert Smith so fast and seldom gets recognition for it. As I said before I have seen Randy Moss get caught from behind. Have never seen Robert Smith get caught from behind. Not saying I'm just saying.

I think you're mistaken about Smith not getting recognition for being fast. My recollection was that it was often mentioned that he ran the 100M in college, and I would imagine that OSU is reasonably competitive nationally.

No question he was recognized as fast. Just not recognized as fast as he actually is. One of the fastest ever in the NFL. I'm not saying he was faster than Moss, but I'm not saying Moss was faster than him either.

Michael Bennett was the fastest.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 9:27:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Moss had the best official combine 40 time, although Bennett was also sub 4.3. Both of them are mentioned in this article. Robert Smith did not do as well in the combine 40, but we all know he had those long strides and higher gear.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2564409-the-fastest-nfl-players-of-the-last-20-years.amp.html

Post #: 398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 9:59:44 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

What is it?
Post #: 399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 11:46:24 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

What is it?

Supposed to be every Vikings run play, but they missed at least one that I can think of, the 0ne yard touchdown run by Cousins.

I've had a chance to watch the game on the SKOL site, love that it is available!!

My .02 cents worth.

1. I really much prefer our defense when it's aggressive, I know that you have to be careful, especially when your last name is Zimmer, but this defense was flying around and that's the way it needs to stay, great job by the defense!

2. Our punt block was great, almost had two of them, but our punt coverage was terrible. It looked like people weren't sure where they were supposed to be, just not good. Other than that, special teams were improved over the poor play of the preseason.

3. I had zero problem with only having 10 passes in the game. The way the game played out and push we were generating on the outside, we didn't need to be going backwards, just lean and go! OK, and speaking of running the ball, you can go to each O-line guy and say he had a play or two that were ugly, all of them did. Sure Elf had a few bad moments, but he had a few really good moments too. I haven't been an Elf apologist and I'm not going to start, but his play certainly wasn't terrible when you look at the entire body of work. He went up against a pro bowl player and got beat a few times, shit like that happens. He needs a few games to get squared away, I'm not too concerned about him right now, the whole group still has work to do. But it was a pretty good performance to start the season, now lets see how they fare on the road. (P.S. Welcome to your first NFL game Garrett)

4. Zimmer needs to relinquish the red flag. He's just not good at it, enough said.

5. Harris, wow, Harris, (need I say more)

6. Love our running back stable. This is going to be a really special group if their health remains solid. Sort of like the New Orleans group, just many different talents on display, love it.

7. Really liked the D-line rotation. The guys were fresh and when they were in to play, they balled out, can't ask for more than that.

Finally, Atlanta is a good team, I know they didn't show up at our place and show it, but you will see as the year goes on, that this wasn't a fluke, just a well prepared team beating a team that wasn't ready to go. I have criticized the Vikings coaching staff, especially Zimmer, for the team coming out un-prepared for a game, but not this one. They knew what they wanted to do and did it, my hats off to the whole team, solid effort. Now clean up some of the silly mistakes, go smack those Packers in the mouth!
Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode