Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 3:02:16 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I take all of these cuts personally. I don't know why. I'm glad that Dillon is still a Viking. Personally I would rather keep him than Rudolph. That's me. Rudolph had a holding penalty last Sunday. He's a lousy blocker so he has to cheat. I'm thrilled about the blocking of Irv Smith, though. Maybe that made Dillon less necessary.

I heard Conklin got dinged up

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
I'm told that Brandon Dillon, waived by the #Vikings, could have other options. More will known if he clears waivers.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 6:12:54 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

I take all of these cuts personally. I don't know why. I'm glad that Dillon is still a Viking. Personally I would rather keep him than Rudolph. That's me. Rudolph had a holding penalty last Sunday. He's a lousy blocker so he has to cheat. I'm thrilled about the blocking of Irv Smith, though. Maybe that made Dillon less necessary.

I heard Conklin got dinged up

I'm told that Brandon Dillon, waived by the #Vikings, could have other options. More will known if he clears waivers.

Beyond the salary cap implications, this could be one of the opportunity costs to paying Rudolph to stay. With Rudolph getting older and Morgan injured so often, Dillon might not be that far off from making a meaningful contribution.
Post #: 402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 6:57:09 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

You have to love on successive plays Cousins throws a pass to Dalvin in the flat who gets tackled for no gain.Falcons LBer Deon Jones

stands over Cook celebrating as the broadcast team lauds about how Jones is the best LBer in the league nobody knows about.

Next play Dalvin absolutely trucks over that same Jones about 25 yards down the field. Dalvin changes the scoreboard two plays later from 19 yards out.

Special player w/ better blocking bodes well.

Favorite play of the game, Dalvin trucking a guy who had him lined up
Dudes a real football player
Still think he hits the hole faster than any back we've had
I'm sure that will get shot down, but it just appears that way to me.
Love how he bursts thru small openings.
That can make a shitty O line look ok. An ok O line look good, and an above-average O Line look fantastic.
Hope we keep growing what we saw, and I hope we realize the scouting that will be done on us from this point on.
Creativity in play-calling is going to start to get more important every week. Starting now.

Cook is so fun to watch.

Very smooth and explosive.
(seems like a contradictory statement, but he is smooth and fast! )

I told my buddy here to draft Cook in FF; that he'd be monster this year. First time in 17 years I don't have a FF team, kinda nice to turn off the games after the Vikes played.

Cook reminds me a bit of Robert Smith. He could hit the hole and be through it with the best of them (pls Cook & AP among the top Vikes I've seen speed through the hole). Smith was also deceptively fast, so smooth, you didn't realize the chunks of yards he was eating up. Loved the debate on who would be faster Smith or Moss.

Cook is fast, but not Moss/Smith fast. However, Cook runs with more power and is harder to tackle. Robert Smith so fast and seldom gets recognition for it. As I said before I have seen Randy Moss get caught from behind. Have never seen Robert Smith get caught from behind. Not saying I'm just saying.

I think you're mistaken about Smith not getting recognition for being fast. My recollection was that it was often mentioned that he ran the 100M in college, and I would imagine that OSU is reasonably competitive nationally.

No question he was recognized as fast. Just not recognized as fast as he actually is. One of the fastest ever in the NFL. I'm not saying he was faster than Moss, but I'm not saying Moss was faster than him either.

Michael Bennett was the fastest.

he was a contestant, but no. I've seen him play and Moss and Smith. Moss and Smith were both faster.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 7:25:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

Moss and Smith didn't wear much for pads...so in pads they were faster.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 7:45:38 AM   
jbusse

quote:

Moss had the best official combine 40 time, although Bennett was also sub 4.3. Both of them are mentioned in this article. Robert Smith did not do as well in the combine 40, but we all know he had those long strides and higher gear.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2564409-the-fastest-nfl-players-of-the-last-20-years.amp.html

Commenting on one of Moss's long run-after-the-catch TDs, Dennis Green said, "That's what 4.1 speed looks like."
Post #: 405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 7:59:01 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

This was interesting to watch.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1171549874443059200

What is it?

Every running play by the Vikings in order of shortest to longest gains. It just keeps getting better and better.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 8:05:50 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Fair points.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/09/11/3-thing-minnesota-vikings-improve-before-week-2/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 8:10:22 AM   
Todd M

I'd like us to get 3 wins under our belts before being tested. Chicago being the tester. Not that I'm afraid of them but it's a divisional foe on the road where we don't always do well. So in that game escaping with a win by a point or 3 is fine with me. Then of course I want us to keep rolling. 8-0 before facing Dallas and KC on the road. Split those 2 and we are in the drivers seat.

Let's continue on with another non tester though....Vikes 42 GB 17.
Post #: 408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 8:31:27 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I'd like us to get 3 wins under our belts before being tested. Chicago being the tester. Not that I'm afraid of them but it's a divisional foe on the road where we don't always do well. So in that game escaping with a win by a point or 3 is fine with me. Then of course I want us to keep rolling. 8-0 before facing Dallas and KC on the road. Split those 2 and we are in the drivers seat.

Let's continue on with another non tester though....Vikes 42 GB 17.

It would bother the hell out of me if we gave up 17 to the Puke. I can live with 10. 42-10.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 8:47:59 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This games me nervous. I'm a nervous fan, though.

Post #: 410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 8:49:52 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You have to love on successive plays Cousins throws a pass to Dalvin in the flat who gets tackled for no gain.Falcons LBer Deon Jones

stands over Cook celebrating as the broadcast team lauds about how Jones is the best LBer in the league nobody knows about.

Next play Dalvin absolutely trucks over that same Jones about 25 yards down the field. Dalvin changes the scoreboard two plays later from 19 yards out.

That can make a shitty O line look ok. An ok O line look good, and an above-average O Line look fantastic.
Hope we keep growing what we saw, and I hope we realize the scouting that will be done on us from this point on.
Creativity in play-calling is going to start to get more important every week. Starting now.

Cook is so fun to watch.

I told my buddy here to draft Cook in FF; that he'd be monster this year. First time in 17 years I don't have a FF team, kinda nice to turn off the games after the Vikes played.

Cook reminds me a bit of Robert Smith. He could hit the hole and be through it with the best of them (pls Cook & AP among the top Vikes I've seen speed through the hole). Smith was also deceptively fast, so smooth, you didn't realize the chunks of yards he was eating up. Loved the debate on who would be faster Smith or Moss.

Cook is fast, but not Moss/Smith fast. However, Cook runs with more power and is harder to tackle. Robert Smith so fast and seldom gets recognition for it. As I said before I have seen Randy Moss get caught from behind. Have never seen Robert Smith get caught from behind. Not saying I'm just saying.

I think you're mistaken about Smith not getting recognition for being fast. My recollection was that it was often mentioned that he ran the 100M in college, and I would imagine that OSU is reasonably competitive nationally.

No question he was recognized as fast. Just not recognized as fast as he actually is. One of the fastest ever in the NFL. I'm not saying he was faster than Moss, but I'm not saying Moss was faster than him either.

he was a contestant, but no. I've seen him play and Moss and Smith. Moss and Smith were both faster.

Well if YOU'VE seen them all play then it must be true
Post #: 411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:24:32 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cook is so fun to watch.

I wonder where Dillon ranks in there. (pretty dang high if you study the tape)
Post #: 412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:30:21 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Mike Zimmer said Mackensie Alexander’s MRI went “pretty good” and “we’ll see” if the team will be without him on Sunday.

#Vikings. (Sean Borman on Twitter)

Post #: 413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:33:30 AM   
ratoppenheimer

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Mackensie Alexander's elbow MRI turned out pretty good and he could play this week. "Who said I'm going to be without him?''

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:34:53 AM   
Bruce Johnson

A meaty article.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2019/analysis/how-kevin-stefanski-and-gary-kubiak-are-turning-the-vikings-running-attack-around/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Post #: 415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:36:28 AM   
Bruce Johnson

#Vikings Anthony Harris named NFC Defensive Play Of The Week.
No surprise here after a 3 takeaway performance to open the '19 season.

#BeenKnown😤 #SKOL. (Vikings Nation on Twitter)

Post #: 416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:38:07 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cook is so fun to watch.

So, at a minimum, you've seen the tape on Dillon?
Post #: 417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:40:25 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Mackensie Alexander's elbow MRI turned out pretty good and he could play this week. "Who said I'm going to be without him?''

Ha! And y'all probably thought I was being ridiculous when I said he'd just need to ice it!My kind of player!
Post #: 418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:43:53 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cook is so fun to watch.

So, at a minimum, you've seen the tape on Dillon?

never. nor does it stop me from making outrageous statements with complete certainty.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 9/11/2019 10:49:39 AM >
Post #: 419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:47:02 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Top Graded #Vikings on offense yesterday via @PFF

- Adam Thielen 85.0
- CJ Ham 78.4
- Chad Beebe 73.2

Lowest Graded #Vikings on offense yesterday
- Garrett Bradbury 35.1
- Ameer Abdullah 48.5
- Pat Elflein 58.1

(Matt Anderson on Twitter)

I saw some film breakdown on Bradbury and he was instrumental in several of our best plays. Do people actually care about what PFF has to say?

I heard, don't know how true it is, That Chris Collinsworth is part owner or a high level executive for PFF.

That's was all I needed to know.

No useful information there at all.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:55:33 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

- Adam Thielen 85.0
- CJ Ham 78.4
- Chad Beebe 73.2

- Garrett Bradbury 35.1
- Ameer Abdullah 48.5
- Pat Elflein 58.1

I saw some film breakdown on Bradbury and he was instrumental in several of our best plays. Do people actually care about what PFF has to say?

I heard, don't know how true it is, That Chris Collinsworth is part owner or a high level executive for PFF.

Why does it have to be that PFF is either the bible or 'no useful information at all'? On a scale of 1-100 with 1 being no useful information at all and 100 being rock solid nailed it I'd say PFF sits at about a 65-70. It's better for certain positions and worse for others. The majority of their guesswork comes in trying to determine what the players' assignments were on any particular play. Easy for WR, RB, TE, DE, S, CB, and to some extent - QB. Very hard for T, G, C, DT, and to some extent - LB.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 10:59:28 AM   
TJSweens

The problem with PFF IMO is that the concept of advanced analytics in football is in its infancy and football is a difficult more difficult sport to create good advanced stats. There is so much more context to football stats than most other sports.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 11:03:38 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

- Adam Thielen 85.0
- CJ Ham 78.4
- Chad Beebe 73.2

- Garrett Bradbury 35.1
- Ameer Abdullah 48.5
- Pat Elflein 58.1

Why does it have to be that PFF is either the bible or 'no useful information at all'? On a scale of 1-100 with 1 being no useful information at all and 100 being rock solid nailed it I'd say PFF sits at about a 65-70. It's better for certain positions and worse for others. The majority of their guesswork comes in trying to determine what the players' assignments were on any particular play. Easy for WR, RB, TE, DE, S, CB, and to some extent - QB. Very hard for T, G, C, DT, and to some extent - LB.

So you are rating a wildly inconsistent scale with your own arbitrary scale as 65-70% accurate?

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 9/11/2019 11:05:28 AM >
Post #: 423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 11:09:39 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

- Adam Thielen 85.0
- CJ Ham 78.4
- Chad Beebe 73.2

- Garrett Bradbury 35.1
- Ameer Abdullah 48.5
- Pat Elflein 58.1

I saw some film breakdown on Elflein and he was instrumental in several of our best plays.
Post #: 424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/11/2019 11:31:33 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

- Adam Thielen 85.0
- CJ Ham 78.4
- Chad Beebe 73.2

- Garrett Bradbury 35.1
- Ameer Abdullah 48.5
- Pat Elflein 58.1

My favorites are the people that quote PFF when the results are positive and crucify them when they're negative.

They're far from the "be-all-end-all", but they're a useful supplemental piece of information.
Post #: 425
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode