Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 4:50:16 PM   
DeLain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

Quote:

Original: JT2

Here's what I don't get; you have a good defense. You spent a great deal of resources building that defense. You have a coach that has been really good developing and coaching his defense. Wouldn't that be exactly the right time to let the offense fly? God forbid, maybe take some risks? 

It would be so great to unleash the offense, knowing our defense is good enough to mitigate offensive mistakes. Imagine a high flying offense, with a good defense. 

Maybe it's just me, but having a good defense should allow you to be extra aggressive on O. 

You want to play that conservative game, and keep it close? Almost every team in the NFL can move the ball down the field in the last 3 minutes of a close game. Hell, even some bad offenses can do it. It would be nice to have more than a 3 or 8 point lead. 

Take advantage of your good defense by being aggressive on offense. Put 'em away early. Make it no contest. 

Zimmer thinks losing 0-3 is a tie. I'm guessing he would also not like winning 42-35. It's 2019, sometimes you have to get 42 to win. 

If my defense was great, my offense would be wide open, aggressive, scary.

Now that they've signed Doctson, I would love if they tried to sign Aldrick Robinson. Jettison Beebe and J.Johnson/Abdullah/Ham.

They would then have a WR lineup of Thielen, Diggs, Doctson, Robinson and Bisi.

I'd be comfortable with that tandem.

I don't think "tandem" means what you think it means.

It is really weird but I think Beebe is more of the quick, possession guy and Johnson/Doctson are the deep threats (bigger, and pretty fast). We don't need Aldrick....develop the rest.

Bisi Johnson is the epitome of a possession receiver. Known for his route running, sure hands and quickness.

Johnson participated in the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, where his time of 6.88 seconds in the 3-cone drill was good enough for fifth-best among wide receivers.

He clocked in at 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash, reached 38 inches in the vertical jump and leapt 10 feet, 4 inches in the broad jump. Johnson lifted 14 reps of 225 pounds at the bench press station.
Johnson is not a deep threat. He is the epitome of a possession guy. He is known for his route running, sure hands and quickness.

Johnson was nicknamed “The Standard” by his CSU teammates and coaches for his work ethic, precision route-running, consistency and blocking ability.

“I definitely pride myself in my consistency and durability,” Johnson said. “I’m going to catch anything that comes my way as long as it’s in my frame.”

During his Combine workout, Johnson hopes to show he has improved his vertical route-running speed to combine with what he feels is solid work on the rest of the route tree.

“My intermediate routes, in and out of my breaks, curls, double moves, corner posts — those should look good,” Johnson said. “This is huge. I’m grateful for the opportunity and I’m going to go out and do the best I can.”

Asked specifically what has helped Johnson pull away from some of his counterparts, Zimmer referenced his attention to detail.

“He knows all the spots, and every time he goes in, he makes plays, whether it’s practice or games,” the coach said. “He catches the ball well, runs good routes, and seems to have a good feel with leverage.”

None of this has happened by mistake for the seventh-round draft pick out of Colorado State. He has worked tirelessly since arriving in the Twin Cities, whether it is sticking around after practice to catch passes, or staying up late to study his playbook.

“I would say in the early weeks it was two and a half hours a night, at least,” Johnson said. “It was a grind. Now I’m getting more comfortable. I can just look over a script real quick and understand it. It took awhile to get there.”

Aside from that, Johnson spoke at length about the minor details of playing the position that often go unnoticed to the untrained eye.

“There’s a huge emphasis on depth and things like that,” he said. “We talk about it every day in meetings. You were half-a-yard short on this route or something like that. We focus a lot on details, and that’s what Coach Zimmer talked about after the last game. It wasn’t stuff that maybe the fans saw. It was just the little things.”

Like, say, running the wrong route on a particular play, something Johnson won’t soon forget.

“They’re giving me the opportunity to go out there, so I have to show Kirk that I’m going to be in the right place at the right time,” Johnson said. “That’s what the coaches have told me. They want a guy who is going to be where he’s supposed to be on the field. You don’t have to be the fastest. You don’t have to be the most athletic. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.”
Post #: 26
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 5:13:58 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

The #Vikings have released OL Brett Jones to make room for WR Josh Doctson.

(Purple Post on Twitter)

Shocking to me and I'm not happy.

I reckon that the Vikings are pleased with the progress of Samia and Dozier did play well towards the end of the preseason. He became more valuable because he plays two positions. Jones was one of the backups at center. I really don't like this. We don't have a player on the practice squad who plays the position, but I predict that we will soon from another team.

Let me reword that ... the team must be more comfortable with Elf covering Bradbury and Dozier covering LG than Jones backing up Bradbury.

I don’t like it either.

Agree with sentiments.

Wouldn't be surprised to see New England pick him up with their starting center diagnosed with lung clots. I guess that I should give Rick the benefit of the doubt that he tried calling Bill to work out a trade (I know NE traded with the Bills for someone as well).

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 27
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 5:31:43 PM   
Born2Blitz

I am ok with he Jones release. I really like Aviante Collins. This may mean he will be on the 53 sooner than we think.

skol...Skol...SKol..SKOl.....SKOL
Post #: 28
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 5:51:29 PM   
bohumm

Jones was horrible in the regular season last year, and this preseason he was a veteran playing against reserves. I'm glad he showed well, but I'd rather have Elf slide over and let one of the youngsters play while continuing to develop them and see what we've got. Jones was not a long-term part of the plan, I'd guess.
Post #: 29
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 6:36:12 PM   
odin

I guess a 4th-string scrub TE is more important than making sure the OL is a little more solid, especially since Elf is struggling. Rick must be in pain to lose the 7th he gave up for Jones.

I wonder if part of getting the punter who can hold is so well is so Beebe can be dumped if he keeps imitating Treadwell. I'm good with giving Docston a shot, even though Zimmer can't be happy about his lack of ST play and poor blocking.
Post #: 30
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 6:43:25 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Jones was horrible in the regular season last year, and this preseason he was a veteran playing against reserves. I'm glad he showed well, but I'd rather have Elf slide over and let one of the youngsters play while continuing to develop them and see what we've got. Jones was not a long-term part of the plan, I'd guess.

Quite a lot of unexpected moves for sure.

Jones showed next to nothing last year. True.

Could have more to do with the confidence in Samia sliding in at guard.

I love what Udoh brings potentially, is VERY intriguing.

Any word on O’Neill?
  Post #: 31
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 7:08:56 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Any word on O’Neill?

Wobby's pick six mail bag video indicated Zimmer will provide an O'Neill update during his Wednesday press conference.
Post #: 32
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 7:30:57 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Any word on O’Neill?

Wobby's pick six mail bag video indicated Zimmer will provide an O'Neill update during his Wednesday press conference.

Thank you
  Post #: 33
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 8:58:11 PM   
Pager

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001047170/article/rams-goff-agree-to-terms-on-4year-134m-extension

$34M/per and 110 guaranteed. Cousins drops another spot in highest paid rank.

Couple of thoughts. I think Goff benefits a ton from McVay, one of the best lines in football, Gurley/run game, and very good weapons. I think he's an average to slightly above average QB.

Can you imagine what Mahomes is going to get? Or even Watson?

Post #: 34
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 9:01:19 PM   
Pager

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001046271/article/nfc-wintotal-projections-eagles-on-top-packers-ceiling-high

8.3 wins with a range of 7.3 to 9.4. Their model has our oline as the 6th worst. I don't blame them but I expect an average (15 ranked or so).

Post #: 35
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 11:04:06 PM   
Dana Turner

I don't think the Vikings are done with their 53 man roster, could be wrong, we'll see. Jones was playing good the year in camp and preseason, but not that great. They could have let JJ go or Abdullah, but really, it's a "meh" thing for me. Doctson gets a chance to show he can contribute on a much better team with a couple of WR's in front of him that could inspire him to work even harder on his game. Could be a win-win for the Vikings, if not, no big loss in trying! We needed to get someone in there for sure!
Post #: 36
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 11:09:59 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Born2Blitz

I am ok with he Jones release. I really like Aviante Collins. This may mean he will be on the 53 sooner than we think.

I had forgotten that Collins was on the practice squad. That is comforting. I guess the team is going for the younger players. Also, the plays in the regular season are not the plays in the preseason. It may be that Jones doesn't do as well with what the team will be doing Sunday.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 37
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 11:27:33 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001046271/article/nfc-wintotal-projections-eagles-on-top-packers-ceiling-high

8.3 wins with a range of 7.3 to 9.4. Their model has our oline as the 6th worst. I don't blame them but I expect an average (15 ranked or so).

By Cynthia Frelund
NFL Network Fantasy Analytics Expert
Post #: 38
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/3/2019 11:40:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Looking at the depth chart we can see that Abdullah is the kick and punt returner. I believe that's why he's on the team. I did think that he had more juice as a returner than any of the others.

https://www.vikings.com/team/depth-chart

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 39
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 2:28:33 AM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

Quote:

Original: JT2

Here's what I don't get; you have a good defense. You spent a great deal of resources building that defense. You have a coach that has been really good developing and coaching his defense. Wouldn't that be exactly the right time to let the offense fly? God forbid, maybe take some risks? 

It would be so great to unleash the offense, knowing our defense is good enough to mitigate offensive mistakes. Imagine a high flying offense, with a good defense. 

Maybe it's just me, but having a good defense should allow you to be extra aggressive on O. 

You want to play that conservative game, and keep it close? Almost every team in the NFL can move the ball down the field in the last 3 minutes of a close game. Hell, even some bad offenses can do it. It would be nice to have more than a 3 or 8 point lead. 

Take advantage of your good defense by being aggressive on offense. Put 'em away early. Make it no contest. 

Zimmer thinks losing 0-3 is a tie. I'm guessing he would also not like winning 42-35. It's 2019, sometimes you have to get 42 to win. 

If my defense was great, my offense would be wide open, aggressive, scary.

Now that they've signed Doctson, I would love if they tried to sign Aldrick Robinson. Jettison Beebe and J.Johnson/Abdullah/Ham.

They would then have a WR lineup of Thielen, Diggs, Doctson, Robinson and Bisi.

I'd be comfortable with that tandem.

I don't think "tandem" means what you think it means.

I should have been more clearer. "Tandem" meant the two new guys in addition to our other Vikings...Robinson and Doctson. Thanks

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 40
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 6:41:22 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Be prepared to be disappointed.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 41
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 6:42:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

I guess a 4th-string scrub TE is more important than making sure the OL is a little more solid, especially since Elf is struggling. Rick must be in pain to lose the 7th he gave up for Jones.

I wonder if part of getting the punter who can hold is so well is so Beebe can be dumped if he keeps imitating Treadwell. I'm good with giving Docston a shot, even though Zimmer can't be happy about his lack of ST play and poor blocking.

I think keeping 10 of the 12 they drafted this year was a bigger key....they also put the other 2 on the PS. Can't keep them all but they have kept a majority of their picks on the roster.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 42
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 7:34:16 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

A way of life for many
Post #: 43
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 8:06:50 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Bill you may be underestimating the effect the scheme has on the line. I'm hoping the offense keeps the defense guessing much more than last year.
Post #: 44
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 8:15:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

The biggest key for me is the 3rd on short....in the middle of the season if we convert a couple we win 1 or 2 more games and then you add in the GB tie.

The biggest problem with the oline and there were many was the short yardage plays....we get that figured out we should be a pretty tough team to beat.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/4/2019 8:16:27 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 45
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 8:19:25 AM   
bohumm

quote:

The biggest key for me is the 3rd on short....in the middle of the season if we convert a couple we win 1 or 2 more games and then you add in the GB tie.

The biggest problem with the oline and there were many was the short yardage plays....we get that figured out we should be a pretty tough team to beat.

Agree to a limited extent, because by far the biggest problem was the shitshow in pass protection. I get that the new scheme should help the run game pop, but as you say I'm interested to see what happens on "power" runs where we just need a yard or two and the defense stacks, and most interested in pass pro.
Post #: 46
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 8:28:09 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

Agree to a limited extent, because by far the biggest problem was the shitshow in pass protection. I get that the new scheme should help the run game pop, but as you say I'm interested to see what happens on "power" runs where we just need a yard or two and the defense stacks, and most interested in pass pro.

Bradbury and Elflein are both undersized, so a stacked defense will likely remain challenging for a power run.
Post #: 47
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 8:57:22 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bradbury and Elflein are both undersized, so a stacked defense will likely remain challenging for a power run.

I suspect we'll see a lot of play action or off tackle runs. We aren't going to move a lot of people if they have their bigs in.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 48
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 9:29:23 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

I suspect we'll see a lot of play action or off tackle runs. We aren't going to move a lot of people if they have their bigs in.

I think the Bradbury is undersized narrative is inaccurate. He came in at 305 and with his first off season with an NFL training regimen I would guess he is 315. What is the average weight of Centers in the NFL? I would guess it is less than 315.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 49
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 9:37:08 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think the Bradbury is undersized narrative is inaccurate. He came in at 305 and with his first off season with an NFL training regimen I would guess he is 315. What is the average weight of Centers in the NFL? I would guess it is less than 315.

You may be correct on Bradbury -- it was pointed out in a recent film study (don't recall who said it). I think the scheme dictates mobility over size, such that they'll have a difficult time manhandling D lines.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode