Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 4:36:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I see Oak has only given up 126 rushing yards in 2 games.

Well, one was against Mahommes.
Post #: 801
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 4:39:26 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Which good teams will Cousins beat this season?

Last year that was a very short list with lots of misses.

Which teams that we lost to were we better than last year? Cousins has had his struggles, but this particular pinata has no candy.....We were objectively better than the Bills and he sucked that day, along with everyone else. While it's true he didn't elevate us to beat teams we weren't as good as, which we can reasonably expect him to do at least occasionally given his contract and centrality, we were worse than all the rest of the teams we lost to, and not by a little. He almost elevated us past the Rams, but.....

There is ample room to criticize Kirk without tropes that don't hold water.

Should be better than a lot of teams if you paid Cousins because you believed he was final piece.

If you are telling me Cousins can’t win games by himself when needed, I agree. It will likely cost Speilman his job.

I don’t think the Vikings beat anybody that was worth a damn last season. They certainly stunk in most if not all “big” games.

Cousins was not the "final piece". He was an unlikely UFA at the premier position, which was of great need. Hell, our OL was in shambles.

Fran Tarkenton coming back from the Giants was the final piece.

Hershel Walker was the final piece.

That's about it.

Favre

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 802
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 4:41:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

The Packers went into this game with a clear intention to pick on cornerback Xavier Rhodes, and it worked. Almost every time they threw to his coverage, the receiver not only picked up a first down but was open by multiple steps. Rhodes didn’t break up a single pass thrown his way and was the biggest issue for the Vikings’ defense in this game.

I know Rhodes has had trouble with Adams but a team targeting your #1 CB doesn't bode well for Rhodes closed.

Rhodes to safety!

Ahem. He seems more muscle bound than quick. More and more Diggs types are entering the league. What is he going to be? A high priced player we wheel out only when the opposition has big WRs (granted there are a lot of those out there too).

He just seems like a guy Belechik would trade for a #1 because he is a name, but the inside story is he is past his prime. Not age necessarily but whatever strengths he had don't seem to be strengths any more.
Post #: 803
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 4:54:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Which good teams will Cousins beat this season?

Last year that was a very short list with lots of misses.

Which teams that we lost to were we better than last year? Cousins has had his struggles, but this particular pinata has no candy.....We were objectively better than the Bills and he sucked that day, along with everyone else. While it's true he didn't elevate us to beat teams we weren't as good as, which we can reasonably expect him to do at least occasionally given his contract and centrality, we were worse than all the rest of the teams we lost to, and not by a little. He almost elevated us past the Rams, but.....

There is ample room to criticize Kirk without tropes that don't hold water.

Should be better than a lot of teams if you paid Cousins because you believed he was final piece.

If you are telling me Cousins can’t win games by himself when needed, I agree. It will likely cost Speilman his job.

I don’t think the Vikings beat anybody that was worth a damn last season. They certainly stunk in most if not all “big” games.

Cousins was not the "final piece". He was an unlikely UFA at the premier position, which was of great need. Hell, our OL was in shambles.

Fran Tarkenton coming back from the Giants was the final piece.

Hershel Walker was the final piece.

That's about it.

Favre

To me he was up there as that final piece but not in the true sense. Favre was washed up, we got him in his 18th year. Traded to the Jets for a 4th. Then the Jets released him and he had a torn biceps.

Certainly the hoopla speculation made it look better than he was, and IMO he played out of his mind that first year. So he looked more like the final piece only after several weeks in.
Post #: 804
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 4:56:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Here were Patrick Mahomes' final five completions of the first half against the Raiders: 42-yard TD to Mecole Hardman, 32 yards to Damien Williams, 43 yards to Demarcus Robinson, a 27-yard TD to Travis Kelce and a 39-yard TD to Robinson. Superman stuff. Mahomes threw for an astounding 278 yards and four touchdowns in the second quarter alone and finished a game with more than 350 yards and four-plus touchdowns for the fourth time in 18 career starts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001055967/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-3-cowboys-hit-top-five-saints-sink
Post #: 805
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 5:11:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

Here were Patrick Mahomes' final five completions of the first half against the Raiders: 42-yard TD to Mecole Hardman, 32 yards to Damien Williams, 43 yards to Demarcus Robinson, a 27-yard TD to Travis Kelce and a 39-yard TD to Robinson. Superman stuff. Mahomes threw for an astounding 278 yards and four touchdowns in the second quarter alone and finished a game with more than 350 yards and four-plus touchdowns for the fourth time in 18 career starts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001055967/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-3-cowboys-hit-top-five-saints-sink

Bill, to your point Oakland is only giving up 2.8 ypr. But it's a small sample size.
Post #: 806
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 5:19:16 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bill, to your point Oakland is only giving up 2.8 ypr. But it's a small sample size.

I guess when you're dead last in passing yards given up, teams don't feel the need to run against you.
Post #: 807
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 5:34:27 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess when you're dead last in passing yards given up, teams don't feel the need to run against you.

Which is why balance on the stat sheet is overrated. If a team stinks at stopping the pass then pass all day on em. If they can't stop the run handoff until they start putting 9 in the box. I think we need balance in the "ability" to to both. We don't need to have 240 yards passing and 150 yards rushing every week.
Post #: 808
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 5:42:26 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which is why balance on the stat sheet is overrated. If a team stinks at stopping the pass then pass all day on em. If they can't stop the run handoff until they start putting 9 in the box. I think we need balance in the "ability" to to both. We don't need to have 240 yards passing and 150 yards rushing every week.

Best post I've read in a while.
Post #: 809
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 6:48:34 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Lets face it, the reason so many of us are so down on Cousins is because we held out hope that he would be better than what he has showed his entire career. If we want to relieve some of the stress, we just need to understand that even though he's being paid a lot of dough, he's just an average QB and not expect anything different. I have seen enough of his body of work to understand that he is best if there isn't pressure on him to perform and our current offense should be able to minimize the need for these types of situations. We came back on GB yesterday, running the ball, not passing it. So, if we can get the head coach to have his team prepared right out of the gate, maybe we won't be so far behind and not need Cousins to feel the pressure.

I hope they keep Dakota right where he's at, this offensive line can be special with time. Elf makes a better swing guy/backup.

I feel the same way Phil about Diggs play yesterday, I even mentioned it to my brother. With Cousins not playing at his best, we don't need Diggs being a dumbass out there, we needed leadership and he certainly didn't show that. That is one of the huge differences between Diggs and AT.

I am wondering about the booth review after the TD Diggs scored on the drag across the middle. They called Cook for blocking in the end zone, even though no flag was thrown. Does that mean they are now going to scour every scoring play to look for a penalty that didn't get called. The hit in the end zone was five yards away from the play, Diggs wasn't going to get stopped by they guy that had contact with Cook. I don't know if I've ever seen a review of a TD and had a penalty called from the booth when there wasn't a penalty called on the field. That was very strange and sets a very bad president.

Didn't it get reviewed because it was in the last 2 minutes?

I don't think every scoring play will get reviewed. Only if team throws flag, or in last 2 minutes NY takes a look at it.

I believe I heard him say that it was being reviewed because every scoring play gets reviewed, not sure. But if they just reviewed it because it was in the last two minutes of the half, that is just another thing that is terrible about the review process. I am with Doc, you can take instant replay and throw it away as far as I'm concerned. The NFL reached the place of unwatchable for me a couple of years ago. Now I just watch the condensed games, no commercials, penalties go by in an instant and I only have to listen to a minimum of blabber from announcers calling Garrett Bradbury, "Garrett Bradley", I mean really, the whole product is certainly not what it was 20 years ago, much less 40 years ago. They have dummied the game down to draw interest from the ladies, lets face it, they (the girls) usually control the money and the remote. (Please understand I am not saying that ladies are dumb, just that the NFL have gone to an extraordinary effort to explain every play in huge detail, that isn't meant for guys who already understand the game) They want to sell the product and teamwear it is a huge profit for them, girls buy much more then men.

It's just a changed form of entertainment that is loosing it's appeal. Collage Football is better, but they will find a way to screw that up too, then it's just the Friday night games of the local High School. Oh well, everybody needs to please the stakeholders I guess, that's just too bad!

Wowzers. You and I have differing views on women for sure.

You think women are dumb?

That's what you took from that?

Dana: I am not saying that ladies are dumb
You: You and I have differing views on women for sure.

I do apologize if my comments were taken as a slight to the ladies, let me explain. About 15 years ago I read a very solid article, I believe it was in Sports Illustrated, maybe not, but the article talked about how the NFL was trying to sell the game to the ladies, get them more involved, sell more stuff. In that article they made the observation that most women control the checkbook and spend more money on clothes and team-wear. In their efforts to sell the game to the ladies, the NFL was purposely changing the guys in the booth that call the games, how they detail the play calling to help people less familiar with the game to understand it better. It was a long article and I wont try to explain it all here, but ever since I read it I understand better why the game has changed so much and the way the NFL has marketed the game. Good for their pockets, bad for guys like me.

I'm a dinosaur in this discussion, as I am old school and certainly against the direction the NFL has taken in the past 20 years. Slowing the game down, replay, announcers talking relentlessly about details that mean noting to the average/knowledgeable fan of the game. It's just the changes that the game has gone through, no huge deal, I'm just not crazy about it and have lost my passion for the NFL. I still love the game and I am hoping to get back into coaching high school kids when I return to the states, but really, it's not enjoyable to watch any longer, that's all.

I do not think ladies are stupid,
Post #: 810
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 7:07:26 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Dana I can relate to what you're saying especially about how the game has changed for the worse. Watching older games seem much better than this new product we are seeing. I like some things don't get me wrong. For example handling concussions much more carefully. I think you nailed it with the pacing being slowed down with endless replays etc. Now we get to see them watching clear tds and looking all over for some infraction to negate it. I think it's taking it way too far now.
Post #: 811
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 8:18:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Lets face it, the reason so many of us are so down on Cousins is because we held out hope that he would be better than what he has showed his entire career. If we want to relieve some of the stress, we just need to understand that even though he's being paid a lot of dough, he's just an average QB and not expect anything different. I have seen enough of his body of work to understand that he is best if there isn't pressure on him to perform and our current offense should be able to minimize the need for these types of situations. We came back on GB yesterday, running the ball, not passing it. So, if we can get the head coach to have his team prepared right out of the gate, maybe we won't be so far behind and not need Cousins to feel the pressure.

I hope they keep Dakota right where he's at, this offensive line can be special with time. Elf makes a better swing guy/backup.

I feel the same way Phil about Diggs play yesterday, I even mentioned it to my brother. With Cousins not playing at his best, we don't need Diggs being a dumbass out there, we needed leadership and he certainly didn't show that. That is one of the huge differences between Diggs and AT.

I am wondering about the booth review after the TD Diggs scored on the drag across the middle. They called Cook for blocking in the end zone, even though no flag was thrown. Does that mean they are now going to scour every scoring play to look for a penalty that didn't get called. The hit in the end zone was five yards away from the play, Diggs wasn't going to get stopped by they guy that had contact with Cook. I don't know if I've ever seen a review of a TD and had a penalty called from the booth when there wasn't a penalty called on the field. That was very strange and sets a very bad president.

Didn't it get reviewed because it was in the last 2 minutes?

I don't think every scoring play will get reviewed. Only if team throws flag, or in last 2 minutes NY takes a look at it.

I believe I heard him say that it was being reviewed because every scoring play gets reviewed, not sure. But if they just reviewed it because it was in the last two minutes of the half, that is just another thing that is terrible about the review process. I am with Doc, you can take instant replay and throw it away as far as I'm concerned. The NFL reached the place of unwatchable for me a couple of years ago. Now I just watch the condensed games, no commercials, penalties go by in an instant and I only have to listen to a minimum of blabber from announcers calling Garrett Bradbury, "Garrett Bradley", I mean really, the whole product is certainly not what it was 20 years ago, much less 40 years ago. They have dummied the game down to draw interest from the ladies, lets face it, they (the girls) usually control the money and the remote. (Please understand I am not saying that ladies are dumb, just that the NFL have gone to an extraordinary effort to explain every play in huge detail, that isn't meant for guys who already understand the game) They want to sell the product and teamwear it is a huge profit for them, girls buy much more then men.

It's just a changed form of entertainment that is loosing it's appeal. Collage Football is better, but they will find a way to screw that up too, then it's just the Friday night games of the local High School. Oh well, everybody needs to please the stakeholders I guess, that's just too bad!

Wowzers. You and I have differing views on women for sure.

You think women are dumb?

That's what you took from that?

Dana: I am not saying that ladies are dumb
You: You and I have differing views on women for sure.

I do apologize if my comments were taken as a slight to the ladies, let me explain. About 15 years ago I read a very solid article, I believe it was in Sports Illustrated, maybe not, but the article talked about how the NFL was trying to sell the game to the ladies, get them more involved, sell more stuff. In that article they made the observation that most women control the checkbook and spend more money on clothes and team-wear. In their efforts to sell the game to the ladies, the NFL was purposely changing the guys in the booth that call the games, how they detail the play calling to help people less familiar with the game to understand it better. It was a long article and I wont try to explain it all here, but ever since I read it I understand better why the game has changed so much and the way the NFL has marketed the game. Good for their pockets, bad for guys like me.

I'm a dinosaur in this discussion, as I am old school and certainly against the direction the NFL has taken in the past 20 years. Slowing the game down, replay, announcers talking relentlessly about details that mean noting to the average/knowledgeable fan of the game. It's just the changes that the game has gone through, no huge deal, I'm just not crazy about it and have lost my passion for the NFL. I still love the game and I am hoping to get back into coaching high school kids when I return to the states, but really, it's not enjoyable to watch any longer, that's all.

I do not think ladies are stupid,

If anything, the game has gotten more complicated. I think the tuck rule ushered in a new era of "we are going to cover every contingency with a rule and sub-rules that nobody understands."

Far less of a fan than I used to be. NFL-wise, it's due to the game stoppages and endless new rules that are very subjective.

Hell, if just one ref would have called that blatant PI in LA vs. NO, we likely would not even have these silly ass reviews in NY, more OFI calls, etc! So rather than admit the game is officiated poorly (due to subjective rules... caused by poor referee decisions... which add more bogus rules... never-ending cycle), the NFL totes on.

The root cause for the missed call in that game is greed, because the NFL won't pay for full-time refs. So we get ineptness. And new rules, and NY reviews, more commercials, etc.
Post #: 812
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 8:30:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I suppose 25 camera angles and hi-def are contributing factors to putting the refs on the hot seat. 50 years ago, the call was made and you got your ass back to the huddle. Fans couldn't scream cause there was but one camera angle and the damn play wasn't worth repeating.

Replaying every 5 yard run is crap too. It's like they can't have a moment of actual on the field coverage after the whistle. No time for a good play-by-play guy to set up the play, drive, momentum, etc.

If (Edit: WHEN) the Vikings win the SB, I'm off the NFL circus. Even now, I may start to watch a 'big' game now, but the anticipation is better than the actual event so I usually go do something else.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 9/17/2019 9:10:20 PM >
Post #: 813
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 8:30:29 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Now get off my lawn!
Post #: 814
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 8:32:05 PM   
CPAMAN

Twins trying hard to lose this game.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 815
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 8:33:14 PM   
CPAMAN

They just were bragging about May and on two pitches the game is tied.

Post #: 816
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 8:33:58 PM   
CPAMAN

Sorry, wrong thread.

Post #: 817
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 9:01:21 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The other thing that dumbs it down is all the graphics and crap on the screen.

Oak 28, Mia 26 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgoPSsvjJlE

6:13 mark, Gowdy announcing THE play of the game. Oakland's black towels at 6:38.

NO graphics or colored computer generated lines across the field. You follow the game!

And now there would be a 10 minute review....

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 9/17/2019 9:08:44 PM >
Post #: 818
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 9:09:29 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Good stuff Bill!!! I gotta agree with you on all points. I really miss the way NFL films used to do things. Just imagine the hd capability with the formula they used back then.

It could be so much better than it currently is. Heck I miss the highlights from Inside the NFL with Dawson and Co. Or even NFL Primetime from however long ago.

The Blitz was a sucky implementation of NFL highlights.
Post #: 819
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 9:15:06 PM   
Dave Odle

Don't forget how they are using picture in picture to advertise Duracell batteries while teams are in the huddle. Can't even wait for commercial breaks to sling products.

It makes me want to not buy Duracell batteries, even though I remember the product. Maybe I'm an Energizer guy now.

< Message edited by Dave Odle -- 9/17/2019 9:16:13 PM >

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 820
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 9:17:28 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

Don't forget how they are using picture in picture to advertise Duracell batteries while teams are in the huddle. Can't even wait for commercial breaks to sling products.

I think that's a good way to describe how I feel Dave. It's just too much overload! Follow that with a slowed down game with stupid reviews and lousy pace and no wonder we can all get grouchy about the way the game is going.

Yikes I'm starting to sound like my Dad!
Post #: 821
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 9:28:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Good stuff Bill!!! I gotta agree with you on all points. I really miss the way NFL films used to do things. Just imagine the hd capability with the formula they used back then.

It could be so much better than it currently is. Heck I miss the highlights from Inside the NFL with Dawson and Co. Or even NFL Primetime from however long ago.

So right about HD.

Fewer highlights, replaced by gabbing about Antonio Brown or OBJ's latest stunt.

Inside the NFL with Dawson and NB was the best. No commercials, Harry Kalas doing the play by that was more like a mini-drama.
Post #: 822
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2019 10:01:12 PM   
hagar

quote:

Mostly because they're so easy to throw against
Post #: 823
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2019 12:13:37 AM   
quote:

Nothing compared to the “Voice of god” John Facenda presented by the Sable’s with music by Sam Spence IMO..
  Post #: 824
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2019 1:49:35 AM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Nothing compared to the “Voice of god” John Facenda presented by the Sable’s with music by Sam Spence IMO..

Yea, the problem with high tech is that everything is high tech now. There is simply nothing from the entertainment category now that doesn't contain high tech. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate many of the high tech gadgets we have today, it makes life easier and in many cases, verifiable, but today's world certainly isn't better to live in. I've talked about it many times with friends and family. Sure, there are great things today and many innovations that we simply can't see us going back to the old days from, but really, I feel very fortunate that I was born in '57, and lived through the 60's, 70' and 80's, before there were cell phones, computers, 157 channels with nothing on, (Springsteen {:~). Remember when kids used to play in the streets, hide and go seek, kick the can, football, baseball at the park, don't see it at all these days. It's all good, I have the fond memories of a time that won't come back, but I wouldn't want to be a kid today and not know what I know about the not too distant past. Sorry, nostalgic moment
Post #: 825
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode