Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 6:29:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

The biggest key for me is the 3rd on short....in the middle of the season if we convert a couple we win 1 or 2 more games and then you add in the GB tie.

The biggest problem with the oline and there were many was the short yardage plays....we get that figured out we should be a pretty tough team to beat.

Agree to a limited extent, because by far the biggest problem was the shitshow in pass protection. I get that the new scheme should help the run game pop, but as you say I'm interested to see what happens on "power" runs where we just need a yard or two and the defense stacks, and most interested in pass pro.

Bradbury and Elflein are both undersized, so a stacked defense will likely remain challenging for a power run.

But weren't they wrestlers or something? Zimmer likes that.
Post #: 76
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 6:38:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The old 'keys to the game', same as they always are:
- Control both sides of the LOS.
- Don't turn over the ball.
- Outscore them.
Post #: 77
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 6:39:20 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

The old 'keys to the game', same as they always are:
- Control both sides of the LOS.
- Don't turn over the ball.
- Outscore them.

Make plays, especially when they need to be made.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 78
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 6:41:28 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

I guess a 4th-string scrub TE is more important than making sure the OL is a little more solid, especially since Elf is struggling. Rick must be in pain to lose the 7th he gave up for Jones.

I wonder if part of getting the punter who can hold is so well is so Beebe can be dumped if he keeps imitating Treadwell. I'm good with giving Docston a shot, even though Zimmer can't be happy about his lack of ST play and poor blocking.

I think keeping 10 of the 12 they drafted this year was a bigger key....they also put the other 2 on the PS. Can't keep them all but they have kept a majority of their picks on the roster.

You keep bringing this up. Guess the roster wasn't as good/deep as you thought. And they couldn't afford to do much more than bring in a bunch of lower picks.

That was the first thought I had. And not being in the loop right now probably the only thought I had on the matter
Post #: 79
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 6:52:27 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

The biggest key for me is the 3rd on short....in the middle of the season if we convert a couple we win 1 or 2 more games and then you add in the GB tie.

The biggest problem with the oline and there were many was the short yardage plays....we get that figured out we should be a pretty tough team to beat.

Agree to a limited extent, because by far the biggest problem was the shitshow in pass protection. I get that the new scheme should help the run game pop, but as you say I'm interested to see what happens on "power" runs where we just need a yard or two and the defense stacks, and most interested in pass pro.

Bradbury and Elflein are both undersized, so a stacked defense will likely remain challenging for a power run.

But weren't they wrestlers or something? Zimmer likes that.

Brian Ferentz (coach's son) is the OC at Iowa. He placed 2nd in state in wrestling. Here’s his offensive linemen: Paulsen: 1st, Schott: 2nd, Linderbaum: 3rd. Paulsen: 2nd, Wirfs: 1st (Paulsen’s are brothers. The took turns wrestling varsity at the same weight)
Post #: 80
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 7:13:07 PM   
Pager

The #Vikings released an injury report: Stefon Diggs (hamstring) did not participate and Mikes Hughes was limited. Kentrell Brothers (wrist), Everson Griffen (elbow), Brian O'Neill (elbow), Linval Joseph (shoulder) and Mackensie Alexander (hamstring) were full participants.

https://twitter.com/VikingsCorner/status/1169362869755867136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Eprofile%3AVikingsCorner%7Ctwcon%5Etimelinechrome&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mnvikingscorner.com%2F

We are screwed if Diggs it out for any length of time.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 81
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 7:37:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Diggs has hammy issue, getting in midseason form right off...

Also speculation Diggs is seeking a bump in his pay...

OMG. If he's playing injured trying to get more money that is one of the biggest punk moves ever. He just signed for a huge increase in pay. Sure others are getting more, but they are mostly better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 82
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2019 7:43:05 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

OMG. If he's playing injured trying to get more money that is one of the biggest punk moves ever. He just signed for a huge increase in pay. Sure others are getting more, but they are mostly better.

It's only speculation. Not being widely reported, as far as I can tell.
Post #: 83
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 4:10:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

spotrac has the vikings at $2.7m under the cap....

that's with wile gone, jones still listed, and doctson and colquitt listed but without any salary indicated...i think that spielman is presently trying to re-work some existing contracts to accomodate the new players....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 84
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 7:23:16 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

I guess a 4th-string scrub TE is more important than making sure the OL is a little more solid, especially since Elf is struggling. Rick must be in pain to lose the 7th he gave up for Jones.

I wonder if part of getting the punter who can hold is so well is so Beebe can be dumped if he keeps imitating Treadwell. I'm good with giving Docston a shot, even though Zimmer can't be happy about his lack of ST play and poor blocking.

I think keeping 10 of the 12 they drafted this year was a bigger key....they also put the other 2 on the PS. Can't keep them all but they have kept a majority of their picks on the roster.

You keep bringing this up. Guess the roster wasn't as good/deep as you thought. And they couldn't afford to do much more than bring in a bunch of lower picks.

That was the first thought I had. And not being in the loop right now probably the only thought I had on the matter

The thought is three fold...They aren't bringing in old cast offs for positions (Chilly style), they have a lot of current players being paid well and there isn't cap space, and they drafted well as these new picks have shown something. It is the exact opposite of what they are doing at QB outside of Browning.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 85
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 1:25:36 PM   
twinsfan

Diggs is practicing today.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 86
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 1:28:26 PM   
Rob Viking

I must say I am enjoying the fact that almost every pundit is juggling between the Bears or Packers for the division. They just assume the Bears will replicate the 36 turnovers they forced last season. While the Packers defense is seen as a much improved unit, I don't see it either, improved perhaps but they were still bottom 10 last season, and I don't see Amos, Z'Darius and I can see Gary being a bust much like he was vs quality opposition at Michigan.

As for our beloved Vikes, I worry about the OLine and the transition to Kubiak's zone blocking schemes. The passing offense can be really dynamic and the addition of Doctson can be a real weapon in the red zone, he was one of the best jump ball receivers I ever saw in College at TCU, the other was Sidney Rice.

The DLine has me a little worried, Linval and Griff both regressed last season, something that wasn't so apparent with Richardson being a force.

Hopefully the Zimmer trend yo-yoing between a strong season and mediocre one continues this season.
Post #: 87
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 1:30:47 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

I must say I am enjoying the fact that almost every pundit is juggling between the Bears or Packers for the division. They just assume the Bears will replicate the 36 turnovers they forced last season. While the Packers defense is seen as a much improved unit, I don't see it either, improved perhaps but they were still bottom 10 last season, and I don't see Amos, Z'Darius and I can see Gary being a bust much like he was vs quality opposition at Michigan.

As for our beloved Vikes, I worry about the OLine and the transition to Kubiak's zone blocking schemes. The passing offense can be really dynamic and the addition of Doctson can be a real weapon in the red zone, he was one of the best jump ball receivers I ever saw in College at TCU, the other was Sidney Rice.

The DLine has me a little worried, Linval and Griff both regressed last season, something that wasn't so apparent with Richardson being a force.

Hopefully the Zimmer trend yo-yoing between a strong season and mediocre one continues this season.

The Bears seem to alternate years. They're good when you expect them to be bad and then they disappoint when are they are picked to win.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 88
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 1:44:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Diggs is practicing today.

Excellent

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 89
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 1:46:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

The Bears seem to alternate years. They're good when you expect them to be bad and then they disappoint when are they are picked to win.

I've heard from and read many pundits picking the Vikings to win the division. From what I've seen much more than are picking the Pukers. Of course Pete Prisco sees the Pukers as having the best D in the NFL and winning the Super Bowl.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 90
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 1:53:22 PM   
Todd M

This isn't Sunday but it is getting through a looooong off season with football starting again. I am so freaking excited. Good head space on this season. I mean it's no worrying about Coach getting fat or Diggs hamming up an 'injury' angling for more money, or obsessing about who did or didn't do what etc...but I wouldn't trade in my positive feelings on this year for anything.
Post #: 91
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 1:55:53 PM   
Todd M

I simply believe that this is our year.
Post #: 92
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 1:57:35 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I simply believe that this is our year.

Awesome Todd! What's the point of being a fan if you can't be a fan? I forget that too easily sometimes.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 93
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 2:03:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The newest Viking.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDuBEiaWwAQmQrU?format=jpg&name=large

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 94
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 2:06:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2019/09/four-key-areas-to-watch-during-2019.html

Post #: 95
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 2:09:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Diggs looks really good.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1169677682302509056

Post #: 96
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 2:12:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Ian Rapaport says the Brown/Mayock confrontation got "very ugly" and players had to separate the two.

(Purple Post on Twitter)

I wouldn't touch Antonio Brown for the Vikings with a ten foot pole.

Check this out for the irony:

One of the players holding Antonio Brown back from the near-altercation with GM Mike Mayock was ... Vontaze Burfict.

(Vic Tafur on Twitter)

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/5/2019 2:15:11 PM >

Post #: 97
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 2:38:58 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

This isn't Sunday but it is getting through a looooong off season with football starting again. I am so freaking excited. Good head space on this season. I mean it's no worrying about Coach getting fat or Diggs hamming up an 'injury' angling for more money, or obsessing about who did or didn't do what etc...but I wouldn't trade in my positive feelings on this year for anything.

Love hearing that
And it's damn time something good happened around here.
Post #: 98
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 2:48:15 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Isn't that our MO?

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 99
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2019 2:52:08 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

That's pretty irritating. Glad we didn't play him in the last preseason game.

He just received a new contract....i don't think so. 5/72.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode