Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/12/2020 12:35:55 PM   
Mark Anderson

No reason to postpone Free Agency. Private jets and fancy dinners will keep them away from the common people.

Plus, the NFL is in a great position. Don't have to fight the NBA and NHL for ratings. Free Agency is probably a Top 5 event for the NFL.

1) SB
2) Playoffs
3) Opening Day, Thanksgiving
4) Draft
5) Free Agency

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 3/12/2020 12:48:06 PM >
Post #: 126
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/12/2020 1:47:28 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

No reason to postpone Free Agency. Private jets and fancy dinners will keep them away from the common people.

Plus, the NFL is in a great position. Don't have to fight the NBA and NHL for ratings. Free Agency is probably a Top 5 event for the NFL.

1) SB
2) Playoffs
4) Draft
5) Free Agency

Yep

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 127
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 1:07:27 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Here's a comprehensive mock free agency/ draft for the Vikings. I can pass along your comments to the author.

https://vikingsspin.wordpress.com/2020/03/10/vikings-spins-2020-mock-offseason-v5/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 128
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 4:09:21 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Here's a comprehensive mock free agency/ draft for the Vikings. I can pass along your comments to the author.

https://vikingsspin.wordpress.com/2020/03/10/vikings-spins-2020-mock-offseason-v5/

one of their recommendations...the kiss of death imo....

Dalvin Cook 4 year extension, $55 million, $30 million guaranteed

The Vikings want to lock up Cook long term and continue to build their offense around he and Cousins. This deal wouldn’t affect the 2020 cap very much as only the signing bonus would cause a slight increase but the following years will show the increased cap hits.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 129
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 6:42:04 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

one of their recommendations...the kiss of death imo....

Dalvin Cook 4 year extension, $55 million, $30 million guaranteed

The Vikings want to lock up Cook long term and continue to build their offense around he and Cousins. This deal wouldn’t affect the 2020 cap very much as only the signing bonus would cause a slight increase but the following years will show the increased cap hits.

Yeah. I already told him that I have a different opinion about that from my past. I'm with you, that RB's are easily replaced and perhaps more importantly, they don't perform as well on the second contract.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 130
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 6:49:44 AM   
Bruce Johnson

As far as free agency is concerned, I would like to see the Vikings get younger. I read that Zimmer said exactly the same. So don't be surprised if some of the veterans are let go and we pick up some free agents that most of us never heard before, but are young and hopefully on the upswing. Just about every position is fair game. Certainly we could expect to see a new CB. I would hope that we pick up a DT, because I have this opinion that they do get better as they mature from boys to men at that position more than any other. Of course this is a very good draft for DT's, so we'll see. I guess if I was Spielman I would go for young value in free agency and then try to cover what was missed in the draft.

Post #: 131
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 11:10:32 AM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

1) SB
2) Playoffs
4) Draft
5) Free Agency

The NFL is in a great position. Think about being the head of programming at ESPN. You have 5 channels or whatever. You need to fill something like 120 hours of programming a week. There is not much to talk about about any major sport right now because they are suspended at a point of their season where not much will be going on with no games. But, you can go into huge depth about free agency and the draft, which people care about anyway, because that should not really change.
Post #: 132
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 11:40:10 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

As far as free agency is concerned, I would like to see the Vikings get younger. I read that Zimmer said exactly the same. So don't be surprised if some of the veterans are let go and we pick up some free agents that most of us never heard before, but are young and hopefully on the upswing. Just about every position is fair game. Certainly we could expect to see a new CB. I would hope that we pick up a DT, because I have this opinion that they do get better as they mature from boys to men at that position more than any other. Of course this is a very good draft for DT's, so we'll see. I guess if I was Spielman I would go for young value in free agency and then try to cover what was missed in the draft.

i would be content with a top tier left guard, a second-tier defensive tackle, a second-tier cb, a second/third tier wr....

then go: cb - dt - ot - s - cb....

reiff - fa - bradbury - klien - o'neill...reiff is not a problem we should deal with this offseason - next offseason, yes....

cut joseph, rhodes, stehpens, elflien, rudolph...restructure reiff, harrison,, hunter, diggs, thielen....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 133
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 12:13:23 PM   
Pauldiercks1

If Reiff is still a starter, I have a problem with that. Not sure I can watch another season of him sucking.
Post #: 134
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 1:49:48 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Thanks. Good Read.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 135
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 1:52:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

If Reiff is still a starter, I have a problem with that. Not sure I can watch another season of him sucking.

When did you find a season of him sucking? I am unaware of such occurrence.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 136
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 2:17:56 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

i would be content with a top tier left guard, a second-tier defensive tackle, a second-tier cb, a second/third tier wr....

then go: cb - dt - ot - s - cb....

reiff - fa - bradbury - klien - o'neill...reiff is not a problem we should deal with this offseason - next offseason, yes....

cut joseph, rhodes, stehpens, elflien, rudolph...restructure reiff, harrison,, hunter, diggs, thielen....

Have to look beyond this season. Cousins is not signed beyond 2020, "They should draft his replacement this spring,

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 137
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 2:52:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Vikings announcing cuts. Reiff, Joseph and Rhodes, I believe. I'll verify.

Edit:. Not Reiff, but Morgan, as well.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/03/13/vikings-cut-linval-joseph-xavier-rhodes-clearing-2020-nfl-draft-plans/

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 3/13/2020 2:58:14 PM >

Post #: 138
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 3:20:48 PM   
Bruce Johnson

And I am reading that Vikes will announce a two year extension for Cousins by the weekend.

Post #: 139
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 3:30:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

And you already know. Just checked general Vikings talk.

Post #: 140
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 3:44:55 PM   
Pager

quote:

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/03/13/vikings-cut-linval-joseph-xavier-rhodes-clearing-2020-nfl-draft-plans/

If the CBA gets approved on Monday, and the rules don't change - there is value to cutting Reiff after June 1st. His cap hit would be spread out over this year and next. That is not the case in the final year (currently) of the CBA.

It also makes sense to wait a little longer and see how the draft goes and who still has Tackle needs. A trade could also be in play.

We currently have 20M in cap space and a lot more flexibility.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 141
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 3:45:45 PM   
joejitsu

How much do these decisions net us in salary cap relief?
Post #: 142
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 3:46:03 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Will we franchise Harris with new cap space?

Plus, if players pass new deal, there will be more cap space.
Post #: 143
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 3:46:53 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

How much do these decisions net us in salary cap relief?

These moves net 18.5M and we had around 1.5M so I'm thinking around 20M.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 144
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 3:47:34 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

If the CBA gets approved on Monday, and the rules don't change - there is value to cutting Reiff after June 1st. His cap hit would be spread out over this year and next. That is not the case in the final year (currently) of the CBA.

It also makes sense to wait a little longer and see how the draft goes and who still has Tackle needs. A trade could also be in play.

We currently have 20M in cap space and a lot more flexibility.

You answered my question before I asked it! Thanks, man.
Post #: 145
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 3:51:35 PM   
Bill Jandro

I don't think we should cut Reiff unless the all along was to move O'Neal to LT.

It would be extremely risky to cut Rieff now and pray a decent LT falls to 25. Then pray some more that he doesn't suck if thrown out there his rookie year (which this regime tends to do with rd 1 picks whether they suck or not).

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 146
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 4:06:43 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I don't think we should cut Reiff unless the all along was to move O'Neal to LT.

It would be extremely risky to cut Rieff now and pray a decent LT falls to 25. Then pray some more that he doesn't suck if thrown out there his rookie year (which this regime tends to do with rd 1 picks whether they suck or not).

I'm with you Bill. Reiff IMO didn't suck last year. He just wasn't particularly good either. We dump Reiff without a solid replacement ready it will kill us.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 147
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 4:07:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

And I am reading that Vikes will announce a two year extension for Cousins by the weekend.

Sounds good to me.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 148
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 5:06:48 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I'm with you Bill. Reiff IMO didn't suck last year. He just wasn't particularly good either. We dump Reiff without a solid replacement ready it will kill us.

Maybe the cheap answer is to move Reiff to lg, move O'Neill to lt, and put Udoh at rt. Samia could be ready to play rt, and Brad plays center.
Post #: 149
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 3/13/2020 6:08:54 PM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Maybe the cheap answer is to move Reiff to lg, move O'Neill to lt, and put Udoh at rt. Samia could be ready to play rt, and Brad plays center.

That could be a smart plan because if O'Neill does not work at LT or Udoh at RT, you could switch players back to their previous positions.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode