Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  192 193 [194] 195 196   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 2:17:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

Our CBs have no INTs.

Leading our CBs in PD is Holton Hill with 3.

Boyd could have won game yesterday. Bang bang but good CBs pick that one in EZ.
Post #: 4826
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 2:17:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

On another note, they would be wise to start easing up on Cook's carries
Dude has had like 30+ carries multiple games.
They signed him to a big contract, and really need him for several years to come.
He's been getting creamed lately. he has an injury history, and he will not survive this.

Start working in Mattison 10+ touches, and start throwing more.

Its bad when casual observers (like my wife) spend most of the game saying "they're gonna kill that poor young man" (Cook)
Dude is a beast. he takes more punishment than the rest of the roster combined, imo.
Some is self-inflicted, yeah, but I respect that man. He gives all. And he's had plenty of opps this year to just lay down and take the rest of the game off.
Or grab the hammy. (which people used to accuse him of)
But he hasn't. He's been carrying our asses for long periods of time, especially in the toughness department.

Cook will be past his prime soon IMO. Before an elite QB and adequate defense is assembled.

It's like Adrian Peterson, so much fun to watch but borderline pointless if a Super Bowl is what you want.

Cannot disagree
All these good efforts in the running game, has it ever moved us closer to the ultimate goal?
Nope.
We need to focus more on "dynamic and innovative" and less on "tradition and balance" imo.

Maybe Ziggy wasn't too enamored with Tarkenton being innovative back in the day with the Giants.
Post #: 4827
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 2:27:41 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Our CBs have no INTs.

It seems almost impossible that after 10 games we have one DB with an INT (Smith with 3).
Post #: 4828
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 2:39:05 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

On another note, they would be wise to start easing up on Cook's carries
Dude has had like 30+ carries multiple games.
They signed him to a big contract, and really need him for several years to come.
He's been getting creamed lately. he has an injury history, and he will not survive this.

Start working in Mattison 10+ touches, and start throwing more.

Its bad when casual observers (like my wife) spend most of the game saying "they're gonna kill that poor young man" (Cook)
Dude is a beast. he takes more punishment than the rest of the roster combined, imo.
Some is self-inflicted, yeah, but I respect that man. He gives all. And he's had plenty of opps this year to just lay down and take the rest of the game off.
Or grab the hammy. (which people used to accuse him of)
But he hasn't. He's been carrying our asses for long periods of time, especially in the toughness department.

I have no problem with him stepping out of bounds(Franco Harris style) with the amount of hits he takes(and gives) in between the tackles.

Robert Smith style...
Post #: 4829
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 2:40:20 PM   
Jeff Jesser

All these posts on Cousins could easily been replaced with Zimmer.
Post #: 4830
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 2:42:36 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

All these posts on Cousins could easily been replaced with Zimmer.

Agreed, get rid of them both, and Speilman.
Post #: 4831
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 2:53:50 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Getting Oli Udoh on the field SOMEWHERE say at left guard could go a long way to fixing our OL.

We don't know this.

It could. but it also could not. We don't see the practices etc and there may be a reason he isn't getting a chance like he sucks more than Samia.

Who'd that ever stop from yapping with absolute knowledge? I at least said 'could'. Considering the way he handled Khalil Mack last year in his only game action (he was clearly much more effective than Samia) he certainly looks like he would be able to handle the work at guard. Easily big and strong enough with a massive reach to stone just about any interior DL in pass blocking, and athletic enough to do the downfield stuff we ask of our OL. And by all reports a nasty attitude. Our OL staff seems all over the place with where to put our young guys. Are we penciling in Cleveland as out LT of the future, or are we going to leave him at RG? After 4 games he is already injured, is he too slight to take the interior pounding longterm?
Post #: 4832
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 3:25:49 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Getting Oli Udoh on the field SOMEWHERE say at left guard could go a long way to fixing our OL.

We don't know this.

It could. but it also could not. We don't see the practices etc and there may be a reason he isn't getting a chance like he sucks more than Samia.

Who'd that ever stop from yapping with absolute knowledge? I at least said 'could'. Considering the way he handled Khalil Mack last year in his only game action (he was clearly much more effective than Samia) he certainly looks like he would be able to handle the work at guard. Easily big and strong enough with a massive reach to stone just about any interior DL in pass blocking, and athletic enough to do the downfield stuff we ask of our OL. And by all reports a nasty attitude. Our OL staff seems all over the place with where to put our young guys. Are we penciling in Cleveland as out LT of the future, or are we going to leave him at RG? After 4 games he is already injured, is he too slight to take the interior pounding longterm?

OK.. just to be clear, I think Udoh should have a shot just like you. Just based on that one game against Mack. I'd love to see it. But for some reason that we are not aware of the coaches aren't giving him that shot.

Samia didn't work. Elflein didn't work. Cleveland worked but got hurt. Jones worked but has been here before and for some reason they don't want to hold onto him or give him a permanent job. Udoh should have a shot. Why not? i can't think of one reason. He may be a guy that just doesn't practice well but gets into the game and steps it up to another level. I don't know.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 4833
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 3:40:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

Thielen just put on the COVID list.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4834
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 4:03:26 PM   
David Levine

Receiver Adam Thielen became the sixth Vikings player in the past month to be isolated on the team’s reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced on Monday.

Thielen either tested positive or was in close contact with an infected individual; based on NFL-NFLPA policy, teams don’t officially announce individual cases. But there have been only two known positive cases, linebacker Todd Davis and guard Dru Samia, among the six players. Only Thielen and Samia are on the list as of Monday afternoon.

Thielen can still be cleared to return for Sunday’s game against the Panthers. The NFL requires a minimum five-day quarantine for high-risk close contacts and asymptomatic cases, and at least 10 days for symptomatic cases. Players can return even sooner if they’re not positive nor deemed a “high-risk” close contact, as long as they test negative.

Three other players, including fullback C.J. Ham last week, have been put on the list and returned without missing game time. Samia and Davis, the known positive cases, missed at least one game.
Post #: 4835
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 5:04:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We don't know this.

OK.. just to be clear, I think Udoh should have a shot just like you. Just based on that one game against Mack. I'd love to see it. But for some reason that we are not aware of the coaches aren't giving him that shot.

Samia didn't work. Elflein didn't work. Cleveland worked but got hurt. Jones worked but has been here before and for some reason they don't want to hold onto him or give him a permanent job. Udoh should have a shot. Why not? i can't think of one reason. He may be a guy that just doesn't practice well but gets into the game and steps it up to another level. I don't know.

Does this coaching staff even have a clue on judging G play?

Jones is probably our best G and he's been treated like a disease by this regime.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4836
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 6:51:40 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We don't know this.

Jones is probably our best G and he's been treated like a disease by this regime.

They should leave him in there and see how he does over the next 2-3 games. Could he be worse than Samia??? I doubt it.
Post #: 4837
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:01:02 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Our CBs have no INTs.

It seems almost impossible that after 10 games we have one DB with an INT (Smith with 3).

Anthony Harris has been invisible for the most part.

Post #: 4838
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:07:46 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We don't know this.

They should leave him in there and see how he does over the next 2-3 games. Could he be worse than Samia??? I doubt it.

Not even Elf is worse than Samia.

Let's put Jones and Clev as the G's. Dozier isn't exactly creme dela creme

Post #: 4839
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:20:14 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

A few thoughts:

1. Well, there goes the season. At least the Vikings dashed our hopes early. Usually the team sucks us in, strings us a long, then and finds a way to make it as painful as possible to be a Vikings fan.

2. When your team has as many holes as the Vikings do, you cannot be terrible in any one area. Mediocre, maybe. Our special teams are terrible. Definitely needs to be a focus of the team's attention going into next year.

3. What happened to Harrison Smith? Easily the worst game I've seen him play. Obviously he was trying to cover for the rookie CB's but he only made matters worse.

4. We need a QBOTF in the draft. Kirk can't put a team on his shoulders and lead them to victory. The Vikings need to keep swinging until they find their version of Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson. Watch KC last night. Did anyone think that Mahomes was NOT going to lead his team to a comeback victory? It's not okay to settle for mediocrity at the position.

5. We have an elite core of skill position players on offense with Cook, Smith, Thielen and Jefferson. With a better offensive line this team could lead the league in scoring next year.

5. I don't trust Spielman at all, but the Vikings have a lot of quality players and can easily compete next year with a few smart decisions:

- save salary by booting Reiff, Barr, Rudolph, Harris
- draft/sign 2 OG's, 1 3T DT

That's it!

Spielman has a million draft picks, and could free up the cap space to make it happen. Of course we need depth, and we'll need another S, but if we make it a priority to fill those 3 positions this team can compete for a Superbowl next year.

We'll see...

Irv Smith is 164th in the league in receiving yards with 182. 20 yards per game over his 9 games. He could literally get that by catching 5 balls at the LOS, taking one small step, and lunging forward to the ground. Unrealized potential; the league is littered with those types.

Theilen IMO is not elite, although he has a lot of TDs this year. Depends on what you define as "elite". He had a great 20117 and 2018, and I think he will have a few awesome games this season, less next season, etc. Although, he may do well longer if the other weapons suck up more attention.

A QB is IMO part of an offensive skill set, at least as much as a TE. Cousins is not elite.

We have Cook and a rookie WR who will need to show year on year consistency, especially as he faces better defenders and possibly schemes against him. Ideally Smith Jr. joins them. And we get a QB. And blocking, yadda, yadda.

Irv Smith has elite level talent. The guy was a stud at Alabama, he's an excellent blocker and when he's been put into position to use his skills as a route runner and receiver he's performed. Our offensive gameplanning has not been good at taking advantage of his abilities, probably because our oline sucks and needs extra blocking help. For a few games it looked like they were starting to feature him more, but that positive trend has stalled in the past couple of weeks.

Thielen leads the league in TD's and averages more yards per reception than guys like Mike Evans and Davante Adams. He has speed and is considered one of the best route runners in the league with exceptional hands. He has a better skill set at the position than the vast majority of WR's in the league. That is "elite".

I did not include Cousins because he's not part of the core group I'm referring to. Although Cousins can play at an elite level occasionally, he certainly is not an elite QB.

Jefferson is currently the 7th ranked WR in the NFL, is on pace to top Moss's rookie stats, and has a serious case for OROTY. The kid is special and is absolutely an elite talent.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 4840
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:27:53 PM   
Bill Jandro

Kind of puzzling why our TE's aren't targeted much. maybe what 5-6 times between them all per game.

Irv is a mismatch that needs to be exploited. Rudy is like an octopus catching the football no matter how covered he is. Completely idiotic to not target Rudy when we need a 1st down.

Post #: 4841
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:29:36 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We don't know this.

Not even Elf is worse than Samia.

Let's put Jones and Clev as the G's. Dozier isn't exactly creme dela creme

Excuse me, but Dozier is the very definition of (not literally) fat, dumb, and happy - AKA creme dela creme - over there on the left side.
Post #: 4842
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:36:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

A few thoughts:

1. Well, there goes the season. At least the Vikings dashed our hopes early. Usually the team sucks us in, strings us a long, then and finds a way to make it as painful as possible to be a Vikings fan.

2. When your team has as many holes as the Vikings do, you cannot be terrible in any one area. Mediocre, maybe. Our special teams are terrible. Definitely needs to be a focus of the team's attention going into next year.

3. What happened to Harrison Smith? Easily the worst game I've seen him play. Obviously he was trying to cover for the rookie CB's but he only made matters worse.

4. We need a QBOTF in the draft. Kirk can't put a team on his shoulders and lead them to victory. The Vikings need to keep swinging until they find their version of Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson. Watch KC last night. Did anyone think that Mahomes was NOT going to lead his team to a comeback victory? It's not okay to settle for mediocrity at the position.

5. We have an elite core of skill position players on offense with Cook, Smith, Thielen and Jefferson. With a better offensive line this team could lead the league in scoring next year.

5. I don't trust Spielman at all, but the Vikings have a lot of quality players and can easily compete next year with a few smart decisions:

- save salary by booting Reiff, Barr, Rudolph, Harris
- draft/sign 2 OG's, 1 3T DT

That's it!

Spielman has a million draft picks, and could free up the cap space to make it happen. Of course we need depth, and we'll need another S, but if we make it a priority to fill those 3 positions this team can compete for a Superbowl next year.

We'll see...

Irv Smith is 164th in the league in receiving yards with 182. 20 yards per game over his 9 games. He could literally get that by catching 5 balls at the LOS, taking one small step, and lunging forward to the ground. Unrealized potential; the league is littered with those types.

Theilen IMO is not elite, although he has a lot of TDs this year. Depends on what you define as "elite". He had a great 20117 and 2018, and I think he will have a few awesome games this season, less next season, etc. Although, he may do well longer if the other weapons suck up more attention.

A QB is IMO part of an offensive skill set, at least as much as a TE. Cousins is not elite.

We have Cook and a rookie WR who will need to show year on year consistency, especially as he faces better defenders and possibly schemes against him. Ideally Smith Jr. joins them. And we get a QB. And blocking, yadda, yadda.

Irv Smith has elite level talent. The guy was a stud at Alabama, he's an excellent blocker and when he's been put into position to use his skills as a route runner and receiver he's performed. Our offensive gameplanning has not been good at taking advantage of his abilities, probably because our oline sucks and needs extra blocking help. For a few games it looked like they were starting to feature him more, but that positive trend has stalled in the past couple of weeks.

Thielen leads the league in TD's and averages more yards per reception than guys like Mike Evans and Davante Adams. He has speed and is considered one of the best route runners in the league with exceptional hands. He has a better skill set at the position than the vast majority of WR's in the league. That is "elite".

I did not include Cousins because he's not part of the core group I'm referring to. Although Cousins can play at an elite level occasionally, he certainly is not an elite QB.

Jefferson is currently the 7th ranked WR in the NFL, is on pace to top Moss's rookie stats, and has a serious case for OROTY. The kid is special and is absolutely an elite talent.

Figured someone would blame Smith's stats on the blocking while trumpeting the WR stats... which depend on the same blocking. Right now Smith is the NFL equivalent of a tease.

As for Theilen, I already pointed out his spike in TDs. The rest of your post on him is circa 2018. And the exceptional hands piece... hmmm, right after the Chi bobble leading to a Mack pick? But I agree he does have good hands.

I'll give JJ a bit more time before crowning him.
Post #: 4843
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:48:45 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Jefferson is currently the 7th ranked WR in the NFL, is on pace to top Moss's rookie stats,

His yards and ypr are close, but his 4 TDs to 17 TDs for Moss? Good luck with that.

JJ is no doubt talented and he should track well. But as I said, let's see how it goes and how he handles better defensive coverage. And since you bring up Moss, my eyeball said he was a REAL "elite" almost from the get go.

We obviously have different definitions of "elite".
Post #: 4844
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:52:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Our CBs have no INTs.

#Vikings are 26th in net turnover margin this year. Last year they were 3rd.

(Warren Ludford on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4845
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 7:59:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Kirk Cousins now has the most games with 300+ Yards, 3+ TDs, and 0 INTs in Minnesota Vikings history.

Previously, Daunte Culpepper had 4 such games. Cousins now has 5 as a member of the Vikings.

(Dustin Baker on Twitter)

80 vs 41 starts. Guess who had the 80. Culpepper.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 11/23/2020 8:02:17 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4846
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 8:09:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Kirk Cousins has thrown lead changing TD's in the 4th quarter of three games this season. The Vikings lost all three games.

Adam Patrick on Twitter

Post #: 4847
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 8:16:24 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Kirk Cousins had a passer rating of 140.1 and a AY/A of 12.47 yesterday, on 30 attempts.

That was only the 90th game in NFL history (but 4th in Cousins' career) where a QB put up a 140+ passer rating and >12 AY/A on 30 or more attempts.

Their teams are 85-5 in those games.

The other 4 losses:

Matt Ryan: 43-37 to the Saints in OT in 2018
Matt Ryan: 34-33 to the Cards after a missed last minute XP in 2019
Tony Romo: 37-34 to the Giants after a blocked last second FG in 2013
Tony Romo 51-48 to the Broncos, the shootout with Peyton Manning in 2013
Krauser on Twitter

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 11/23/2020 8:18:39 PM >

Post #: 4848
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 8:21:13 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Despite being pressured on 38.2% of his drop backs (fifth most in the league), Kirk Cousins is PFF's 6th-highest-graded QB on the season

Nick Olson on Twitter

Post #: 4849
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 8:28:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The #Vikings currently rank 27th in points allowed. If the season ended today, 2020 would be the 5th worst defense in franchise history.

Fiipmazzi on Twitter

Post #: 4850
Page:   <<   < prev  192 193 [194] 195 196   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  192 193 [194] 195 196   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode