Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2020 7:41:32 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Alex Smith with a 21.7 QBR today and Washington wins 41-16.
Team game, folks.

Dustin Baker on Twitter

I noticed that Lamb dropped a catchable TD pass yesterday after making an impossible catch for a TD against the Vikings. I guess football is like that.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4901
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2020 9:48:49 AM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Especially when the Vikings are disappointing, I am grateful for all of you (on this Thanksgiving Day) that together we can keep the hope alive.

Bruce, I know what your saying, but really seems like only about 1/4 of the posters here that will look at anything Vikings in a positive light.
Post #: 4902
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2020 10:27:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Especially when the Vikings are disappointing, I am grateful for all of you (on this Thanksgiving Day) that together we can keep the hope alive.

Bruce, I know what your saying, but really seems like only about 1/4 of the posters here that will look at anything Vikings in a positive light.

I'm going to give a pass to the posters in light of the repeated disappointments. Nevertheless, optimism is a choice and persistence is a virtue.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4903
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2020 10:30:16 AM   
thebigo

quote:

The Eric Wilson your seeing this season is not sustainable here’s why.

4 sacks to only 8 pressures.

3 INT’s to 0 pass breakups

15 run stops but 13 missed tackles

The metrics that usually show signs of a constantly good player isn’t there.

DeShawn Vaughan on Twitter

4 sacks to only 8 pressures. Maybe it means he knows when to go, and is a finisher.

3 INT’s to 0 pass breakups Maybe it means they don't throw at his guy much because of good coverage, and when they do he is in a good position, AND looking for the ball. Pro football reference has his passer rating against at a team leading 62.9

15 run stops but 13 missed tackles 13 missed tackles probably not good, I guess I don't really know what a run stop is, considering he has 70 tackles, so I don't see the relationship between run stops and missed tackles.
Post #: 4904
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2020 10:43:10 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

As a member of the Vikings, Randall Cunningham had only one game with 300+ Yards, 3+ TDs, and 0 INTs.

Dustin Baker

(Numbers that Cousins achieved yesterday)

I don't want a QB that knows how to achieve the perfect rating. I want one that is willing to risk a pick in the proper situation where if he can get the ball in that tight window it's a game-changing TD. If a QB will only throw to 'sure-things' that will eventually make an offense very much not dangerous. Give me a win yesterday with 3 TD passes and 2 INTs and screw the rating.

Yes, we need a QB with vision and a willingness to take productive risks. But Kirk will get killed if he does this and it results in an INT, and it's been that way ever since we signed him. He is an elite game manager, which is not overall elite. He is very good, but he draws inside the lines to a fault....and that's exactly what Zimmer wants.
Post #: 4905
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 5:53:11 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I have often quoted Dustin Baker. You might be interested to read this about him:

I lost my job in March when the pandemic struck. Started tweeting Vikings stats out of boredom. Inadvertently landed me writing gigs and a show interviewing NFL players.

An interesting thing about him to me is that he used to live just a few blocks from where I grew up on the East side. It is a good story when someone faces adversity, but manages to do better. Sometimes we have to take a step backwards in order to go forwards. Don't you think?

Post #: 4906
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 6:00:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

As a member of the Vikings, Randall Cunningham had only one game with 300+ Yards, 3+ TDs, and 0 INTs.

Dustin Baker

(Numbers that Cousins achieved yesterday)

I don't want a QB that knows how to achieve the perfect rating. I want one that is willing to risk a pick in the proper situation where if he can get the ball in that tight window it's a game-changing TD. If a QB will only throw to 'sure-things' that will eventually make an offense very much not dangerous. Give me a win yesterday with 3 TD passes and 2 INTs and screw the rating.

Yes, we need a QB with vision and a willingness to take productive risks. But Kirk will get killed if he does this and it results in an INT, and it's been that way ever since we signed him. He is an elite game manager, which is not overall elite. He is very good, but he draws inside the lines to a fault....and that's exactly what Zimmer wants.

The ideal quarterback finds a way to win in the end when adversity strikes. One problem is that there are very few of those kind of quarterbacks. Our offense, which excels in the running game is not built very well for winning at the end of games. It is built to win with dominant defenses, which we don't have. As much as we might like our tight ends, we don't have a dynamic tight end who puts defenses on their heels. We don't really have a third receiver whom defenses have to account for whenever he is on the field. And of course we don't have an offensive line that can give the immobile quarterback that extra moment to get his pass off when everybody knows that the play will be a pass.

Post #: 4907
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 6:40:35 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Some last personal notes about Thanksgiving Day. I have always thought of it as the best holiday. It is to God that we are giving thanks and it's a holiday when all of the family comes together without the awkwardness of giving and receiving presents. When I was a child I was fine with that, but as an adult it brings tension and anxiety. Thanksgiving Day is supposed to be the one holiday that is preserved to be pure and uninfluenced by marketing and materialism. There is great food and of course football.

I say all of that, but how ironic it has been for me to always be working on Thanksgiving Day. I have always coveted the extra money and so I have worked all of the holidays. The last time that I did not work on Thanksgiving was in 1993. On that day I was in Wisconsin and was managing a small shop in a mall in Racine, Wisconsin. (where the riots broke out recently) My family was back here in Minnesota. That was the last time I had the day off on Thanksgiving Day. There were a number of times when I would go to the Thanksgiving Day dinner with family and then have to leave for work. I always would feel sad having to leave. Everyone was relaxed and enjoying the desserts and drinks, but I had to work until Midnight and then get up at 5 in the morning to go to work again.

This Thanksgiving was different. I wanted to work. I signed up to work, but my boss called me and told me to rest and enjoy the day off. It was so strange for me to do so that I tried to negotiate only working a half day, but because of the Covid restraints he really had no work for me to do. (I'm a Metro Mobility driver.) So I stayed home. I napped in the afternoon and took the dog for a walk, which I do almost everyday. I watched and enjoyed the football games and then the family members came over for the big dinner. In the end I had to tell everyone that I was tired and needed to go to sleep. I get up at three in the morning so my schedule is kind of weird. But it was different in the past. Instead of being jealous of everyone because they could enjoy the holiday, I was kind of sad that I didn't have the vitality I used to have. As you all know, I got Covid this year and it's effects are added to the fact that I am getting old. It's a different chapter in my life, but it is a good chapter because I am lucky to have the devotion and respect from my adult children who all seem to be doing well in life. I have the most beautiful wife (soon to be married for 40 years) and a loyal dog who is all too happy to go for the daily walks with me. So I truly have a lot to be grateful for.

Sorry. This didn't have much to do with football. Carry on!

Post #: 4908
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 7:07:32 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Dustin Baker previews tomorrow's game:

https://vikingsterritory.com/2020/general-news/what-does-a-thielen-less-offense-look-like

Post #: 4909
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 7:56:56 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

The Eric Wilson your seeing this season is not sustainable here’s why.

4 sacks to only 8 pressures.

3 INT’s to 0 pass breakups

15 run stops but 13 missed tackles

The metrics that usually show signs of a constantly good player isn’t there.

DeShawn Vaughan on Twitter

4 sacks to only 8 pressures. Maybe it means he knows when to go, and is a finisher.

3 INT’s to 0 pass breakups Maybe it means they don't throw at his guy much because of good coverage, and when they do he is in a good position, AND looking for the ball. Pro football reference has his passer rating against at a team leading 62.9

15 run stops but 13 missed tackles 13 missed tackles probably not good, I guess I don't really know what a run stop is, considering he has 70 tackles, so I don't see the relationship between run stops and missed tackles.

Agree 100% with your comments.

If he had 3PD's on 13 targets that'd be considered pretty good. But picking them off is miles better.

Yes the missed tackles are a concern. But I remember Kendricks missing a lot of tackles his first year starting. He improved in to the tackling machine he is today. I see no reason why Wilson can't shore up his tackling like Kendricks did.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4910
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 8:03:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Some last personal notes about Thanksgiving Day. I have always thought of it as the best holiday. It is to God that we are giving thanks and it's a holiday when all of the family comes together without the awkwardness of giving and receiving presents. When I was a child I was fine with that, but as an adult it brings tension and anxiety. Thanksgiving Day is supposed to be the one holiday that is preserved to be pure and uninfluenced by marketing and materialism. There is great food and of course football.

I say all of that, but how ironic it has been for me to always be working on Thanksgiving Day. I have always coveted the extra money and so I have worked all of the holidays. The last time that I did not work on Thanksgiving was in 1993. On that day I was in Wisconsin and was managing a small shop in a mall in Racine, Wisconsin. (where the riots broke out recently) My family was back here in Minnesota. That was the last time I had the day off on Thanksgiving Day. There were a number of times when I would go to the Thanksgiving Day dinner with family and then have to leave for work. I always would feel sad having to leave. Everyone was relaxed and enjoying the desserts and drinks, but I had to work until Midnight and then get up at 5 in the morning to go to work again.

This Thanksgiving was different. I wanted to work. I signed up to work, but my boss called me and told me to rest and enjoy the day off. It was so strange for me to do so that I tried to negotiate only working a half day, but because of the Covid restraints he really had no work for me to do. (I'm a Metro Mobility driver.) So I stayed home. I napped in the afternoon and took the dog for a walk, which I do almost everyday. I watched and enjoyed the football games and then the family members came over for the big dinner. In the end I had to tell everyone that I was tired and needed to go to sleep. I get up at three in the morning so my schedule is kind of weird. But it was different in the past. Instead of being jealous of everyone because they could enjoy the holiday, I was kind of sad that I didn't have the vitality I used to have. As you all know, I got Covid this year and it's effects are added to the fact that I am getting old. It's a different chapter in my life, but it is a good chapter because I am lucky to have the devotion and respect from my adult children who all seem to be doing well in life. I have the most beautiful wife (soon to be married for 40 years) and a loyal dog who is all too happy to go for the daily walks with me. So I truly have a lot to be grateful for.

Awesome post Bruce.

We always have the big dinner at 1pm. That way there is more time to sit around and enjoy pie and conversation afterwards with football on in the background.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4911
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 8:40:43 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Is it too early for a 2021 NFL draft forum. I will post this here.

Spent the last few weeks studying OL for 2021 NFL Draft. Here’s my top 5 so far—
1) Rashawn Slater (Northwestern)
2) Penei Sewell (Oregon)
3) Alijah Vera-Tucker (USC)
4) Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech)
5) Teven Jenkins (Oklahoma St)

Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Post #: 4912
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 8:48:10 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Awesome post Bruce.

We always have the big dinner at 1pm. That way there is more time to sit around and enjoy pie and conversation afterwards with football on in the background.

My son works the graveyard shift at the Mall of America. They hired a soldier to work security and being that it's a potential high profile terror target, I think they made a good hire. I mean they have to be serious about their security. So we had to find the best time for everyone for dinner.

Post #: 4913
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 9:34:03 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

You're a good man, Bruce.
Post #: 4914
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 11:26:41 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Yep, Bruce is a gem.

Truly the essence of the holiday season.
  Post #: 4915
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 2:20:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Trial by fire on a team with minimum pass rush. his job becomes easier when hunter, pierce and barr are back Upside-down face

Jeff Gladney has improved over the course of his rookie season so far:

When targeted weeks 2-8:
(Barely played week 1)

71.4% completion
66.3 Yds/Game
9.5 Yds/Tgt
5 TD - 0 INT

Last 3 games:

62.5% completion
48 Yds/Game
6.0 Yds/Tgt
1 TD - 0 INT

(Tanishka on Twitter)

Post #: 4916
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 3:31:21 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The #Lions have fired coach Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn.

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Post #: 4917
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 4:37:07 PM   
quote:

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Was hoping they’d keep that dude around a few more years like Wayne Fontes.
  Post #: 4918
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 5:27:41 PM   
Arlowe84

quote:

Trial by fire on a team with minimum pass rush. his job becomes easier when hunter, pierce and barr are back Upside-down face

Jeff Gladney has improved over the course of his rookie season so far:

When targeted weeks 2-8:
(Barely played week 1)

71.4% completion
66.3 Yds/Game
9.5 Yds/Tgt
5 TD - 0 INT

Last 3 games:

62.5% completion
48 Yds/Game
6.0 Yds/Tgt
1 TD - 0 INT

(Tanishka on Twitter)

I think that has more to do with Foles in one of those games
His PFF rating was one of the worst vs Dallas
He looks like just a guy to me
Post #: 4919
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 5:28:50 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Yes he is and it sounds like he has a loving Family!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 4920
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 8:23:25 PM   
David F.

quote:

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

I'd have thought that with four wins during a crazy offseason they'd have extended him.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4921
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 8:41:33 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The Saints are not going to lose tomorrow.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/broncos-saints-qb-covid-19-driskel-rypien-lock-bortles-contact-tracing-sunday-nfl-232337909.html

Post #: 4922
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2020 8:43:46 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Important to note that the Vikings didn't elevate WR Alexander Hollins from the PS. Could be a sign that they're confident Thielen will go tomorrow.

Purple FTW on Twitter

Post #: 4923
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 6:59:16 AM   
Arlowe84

Gladney has the worst CB rating, and all 3 of these guys are amongst the worst in the league
Gladney ranks 13th worst in coverage in the NFL

Opp
MIN
MIN
MIN
MIN
VS. CB
Kris Boyd
Jeff Gladney
Chris Jones
MATCHUP RTG
WR RTG
CB RTG
Post #: 4924
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 7:05:34 AM   
Arlowe84

Your worst rated CBs in coverage this year

Arthur Maulet
Desmond Trufant
Vernon Hargreaves
Troy Pride
Luq Barcoo
Josiah Scott
Tre Herndon
LeShaun Sims
Lamar Jackson
Darnay Holmes
Isaac Yiadom
Rashard Robinson
Jeff Gladney
Post #: 4925
Page:   <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode