Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/7/2020 7:04:47 AM   
Bruce Johnson

It will be interesting to compare Jalen Reagor and Justin Jefferson as they begin their pro careers. The Eagles selected Reagor one pick ahead of Jefferson. It's a copy cat league the Eagles saw how the Niners were using speed in their skill position players to create big plays. We did too and we were speculating that the Vikings might select him as well, but we didn't see Jefferson still being available.

It may come back to bite the Eagles that perhaps they were overthinking things. I mean, Jefferson had much better production in college and is clearly more "NFL ready". Of course that's really helpful to the Vikings because they are without Diggs this year. It's true that Reagor has electric speed, but Jefferson is no slow poke and he has better size and hands. He caught just about everything that came his way.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2001
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/7/2020 11:54:27 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

It will be interesting to compare Jalen Reagor and Justin Jefferson as they begin their pro careers. The Eagles selected Reagor one pick ahead of Jefferson. It's a copy cat league the Eagles saw how the Niners were using speed in their skill position players to create big plays. We did too and we were speculating that the Vikings might select him as well, but we didn't see Jefferson still being available.

It may come back to bite the Eagles that perhaps they were overthinking things. I mean, Jefferson had much better production in college and is clearly more "NFL ready". Of course that's really helpful to the Vikings because they are without Diggs this year. It's true that Reagor has electric speed, but Jefferson is no slow poke and he has better size and hands. He caught just about everything that came his way.

Same as the Raiders taking Ruggs over Juedy

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2002
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/7/2020 12:32:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Same as the Raiders taking Ruggs over Juedy

Exactly. Good point.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2003
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/7/2020 6:27:33 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I asked Ludford if he is still writing about the Vikings because I haven't seen anything recently. He told me that there isn't anything to write about right now.

So these are the dog days of the NFL year. If there is news, it's likely to be bad news about a player getting arrested or hurting himself. I haven't heard so much about NFL players getting Covid like those in other sports, but I imagine that some are getting it. So anyway, this time of year it's better to get no news.

I did find this. It's pretty lame, but just trying to keep it going here.

PLAYER PROFILE: DJ Wonnum DE

High motor athlete with rare length for position (34 1/8 inches). Can line with hand up or down and can play off ball zone drops. Uses length to attack as a pass rusher. Highly respected work ethic as a team captain.

NFL comparable: Danielle Hunter

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

Post #: 2004
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/7/2020 6:31:15 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I haven't heard so much about NFL players getting Covid like those in other sports, but I imagine that some are getting it.

I'm sure once players join their teams we'll be hearing a lot about it - like in other sports.
Post #: 2005
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/7/2020 10:18:01 PM   
Bruce Johnson

No news is better:

The NFLPA informed its board of representatives today that the NFL proposed 35% of player salaries be held in escrow to help manage costs during the 2020 season, per sources.

It's one option on the table if revenue is impacted leaguewide by COVID-19.

(Tom Pelissero on Twitter)

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/7/2020 10:21:12 PM >

Post #: 2006
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/7/2020 11:32:52 PM   
thebigo

quote:

I asked Ludford if he is still writing about the Vikings because I haven't seen anything recently. He told me that there isn't anything to write about right now.

So these are the dog days of the NFL year. If there is news, it's likely to be bad news about a player getting arrested or hurting himself. I haven't heard so much about NFL players getting Covid like those in other sports, but I imagine that some are getting it. So anyway, this time of year it's better to get no news.

High motor athlete with rare length for position (34 1/8 inches). Can line with hand up or down and can play off ball zone drops. Uses length to attack as a pass rusher. Highly respected work ethic as a team captain.

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

What is it that is 34 1/8 inches in length?
Post #: 2007
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 12:16:23 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

No news is better:

The NFLPA informed its board of representatives today that the NFL proposed 35% of player salaries be held in escrow to help manage costs during the 2020 season, per sources.

It's one option on the table if revenue is impacted leaguewide by COVID-19.

(Tom Pelissero on Twitter)

the beginning of the end of nfl 2020....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2008
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 1:07:56 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

This is a tweet from Tom Pelissero with the timeline the players association is advocating before the season begins.

With the NFLPA still opposed to preseason games, one possible camp schedule the union has discussed:

3 days: medical/equipment
21 days: strength & conditioning
10 days: unpadded practice
14 days: practice (10 max/8 padded)

Then it’d be straight into Week 1.

a total of eight practices with pads? and no preseason games...these guys are going to be out of gas by the second quarter....

The next update is the 20-21 season will be no blocking, no tackle, passing only offenses, with flag tackles.

Flag belts will encircle the player and have at least 5 flags around all players midsection.

The football will be scrubbed with hand sanitizer, by the designated football scrubbing official, who will signal when ready to play between snaps.

I truly believe Sendejo had it right. Make Football Violent Again. If they truly want to make it more safe they would go to flag football. It's hypocrisy playing tackle football, but requiring gentle tackling.

Football is still incredibly violent. The size and athleticism of the players is a double-edged sword in that they generate unbelievable force with the speed that even the big players reach. The 'nasty' players from the 70's would get obliterated by today's players. The only way to bring back what some describe 'old school football' or 'violent football' would be to only allow players of average speed and size. Then they could all collide with each other all season long and casual fans could celebrate the return of 'real football'.

It truly is Hypocrisy to say we want all you massive, big, strong and fast guys to play tackle football and expect them to do it GENTLY. It's ridiculous. If they truly want to make it safe they eliminate all collisions from the game, Guess what? If you do that you haven't got a game. I've seen players get injured by trying to tackle their opponent too gently.

No one is asking for gentle football nor is football anything even close to gentle. It's the opposite. It's incredibly violent. The athleticism, speed, and size of the players has gotten to a point where, at a minimum, some adjustments need to be made. For example, allowing hits on defenseless receivers may have been a real 'wow' moment back in 1976 when a 5'10" safety weighing 180 pounds running at slightly less than his clocked 40 speed of 4.8 because he had a few beers at halftime but allowing it nowadays will lead to players being paralyzed or killed.

The problem with this is 50% or more of these calls are bad calls.

Great post Bigo.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2009
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 1:09:11 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Hopefully Jefferson being the fastest player on the team means he can be a deep threat for Cousins to throw to. I imagine his height will help him haul in those longer passes, as well.

So is Jefferson a Cordarelle Patterson clone with actual WR skills?

He doesn't have that same change of direction that Cordarelle has. Only Barry sanders could match it. Still Jefferson IMO is going to be great.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2010
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 1:11:20 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Timed 40 speed Jefferson was faster (quarantine pro day doesn't count). However, Reagor may be the faster player on the field. Probably very little speed difference.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/8/2020 1:14:28 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2011
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 1:13:30 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

Probably his arm length.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2012
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 5:49:44 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

Probably his arm length.

That might be useful in knocking down a few passes or making the opposing quarterback adjust his throws over him. The main advantage is that he can initiate contact with the OT better. Some of those OT's have huge wingspans, too. Reiff doesn't though. That's his problem and that's why he just might be a better guard than tackle. Maybe. I don't know until I see it.

Post #: 2013
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 6:59:27 AM   
Bill Jandro

Viking T arm length

Udoh 35 3/8
O'Neal 34 1/4
Clev 33 3/8
Rieff 33 1/4
Hill unavailable

Post #: 2014
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 7:11:37 AM   
Bill Jandro

Viking IOL arm length

Bradberry 31 3/4
Elflain 33 1/4
Collins 33 3/8
Dozier 33 3/4

Samia was N/A but his wingspan is 80.5 compared to Collins at 77.6 so his arm length must be pushing 34

Post #: 2015
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 7:56:21 AM   
Bruce Johnson

We haven't talked much about this draft pick, but it says here he has a wingspan exceeding 80".

https://oregonstate.rivals.com/news/nfl-draft-profile-ol-blake-brandel

Post #: 2016
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 8:02:20 AM   
Bruce Johnson

On the other hand, Hinton has an 80" wingspan, but his arm length is only 32 1/2", which means his torso must be wide. Still, it's clear why he is projected to be a guard.

https://thetouchdown.co.uk/small-school-pro-day-standouts/

Post #: 2017
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 8:05:17 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Viking T arm length

Udoh 35 3/8
O'Neal 34 1/4
Clev 33 3/8
Rieff 33 1/4
Hill unavailable

There is speculation that Udoh will move inside to guard. When I see his arm length it makes me hope that he remains at tackle.

Post #: 2018
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 8:33:01 AM   
Bill Jandro

I think we need to get these younger guys on the field and let them take their lumps. Vets like Rieff, Elf, Dozier simply have no upside.

How about from left to right

O'Neal
Cleveland
Bradbury
Samia
Udoh

Or

Cleveland
Udoh
Bradbury
Samia
O'Neal

Post #: 2019
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 8:40:48 AM   
TJSweens

I'm not at all a fan of the idea of playing Cleveland at guard. He has the all the size, frame and athletic ability of a left tackle. Keep him there, either as a starter or a backup depending on how ready he is. Let him work on his strength and technique. The focus should be on making him our starting LT for 10 years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2020
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 9:20:01 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I suppose Udoh can compete at guard and if he does win the starting job there he could still be a backup for tackle. We do want to have the best five out there. Hill may be the first option to step in as the backup. Not sure.

I do agree about Cleveland remaining at tackle, but I am still skeptical that he will be ready for game one. It would be better for him to focus on one position, especially in a limited off-season. It's not crime that he begins the season as a backup. I believe that's what happened with O'Neill.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/8/2020 11:14:23 AM >

Post #: 2021
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 9:31:09 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

I suppose Udoh can compete and guard and if he does win the starting job there he could still be a backup for tackle. We do want to have the best five out there. Hill may be the first option to step in as the backup. Not sure.

I do agree about Cleveland remaining at tackle, but I am still skeptical that he will be ready for game one. It would be better for him to focus on one position, especially in a limited off-season. It's not crime that he begins the season as a backup. I believe that's what happened with O'Neill.

I'm skeptical about his readiness for game 1 as well. That O'Neal was ready doesn't assure that Cleveland will be ready. O'Neal turned out to be stronger than first expected and he had the benefit of all the mini camps and OTA prior to a full training camp.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2022
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 11:22:53 AM   
Bruce Johnson

There was a run on tackles a year ago in the draft and it pushed O'Neill to the back end of the second round. He was projected to more likely go in the third round. In Cleveland's case we were all relieved he was still available for us in the second round. If we had selected him instead of Gladney in the first round we would not have been shocked. So what I'm saying is that there is a chance he will be ready to play soon and display a high level of talent. Just hoping, but of course we all are looking forward to training camp to see it on the field.

Post #: 2023
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 11:25:32 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Viking T arm length

Udoh 35 3/8
O'Neal 34 1/4
Clev 33 3/8
Rieff 33 1/4
Hill unavailable

There is speculation that Udoh will move inside to guard. When I see his arm length it makes me hope that he remains at tackle.

Then we start creating a log jam at tackle
Post #: 2024
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/8/2020 3:30:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Viking T arm length

Udoh 35 3/8
O'Neal 34 1/4
Clev 33 3/8
Rieff 33 1/4
Hill unavailable

Then we start creating a log jam at tackle

I have Reiff moving to guard. We drafted two guards earlier this year and Samia last year. If Reiff does indeed move to guard, then I only see three tackles on the roster. I'm not counting Collins. Maybe I should, but I found this:

Although listed as a tackle, his size and length suggests he's better suited to play guard in the NFL

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/76-days-vikings-football-aviante-collins-preview-2020

Post #: 2025
Page:   <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode