Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/10/2020 11:23:03 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

He was definitely preferring the younger players. With a limited off-season I don't believe that will happen.

He had Dillon Mitchell on the active Roster so he gets my support 100%.

He's your guy and my guy was Davion Davis, but it doesn't look promising for either of them this year. I could be wrong. We shall see.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2051
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 7:13:55 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

He was definitely preferring the younger players. With a limited off-season I don't believe that will happen.

He's your guy and my guy was Davion Davis, but it doesn't look promising for either of them this year. I could be wrong. We shall see.

Davion Davis Sam Houston State 2018 569 receiving yards 10 TDs in just 8 games. 5'11" 180 or 195 depending on the report and runs the 40 in 4.64 (not a combine time). NFL career 2 games no receptions. Dillon Mitchell Oregon 2018 1184 receiving yards 10 TDs in 13 games. 6'1.25" 197 and runs the 40 in 4.46. NFL career 0 games 0 receptions.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/11/2020 8:34:19 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2052
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 7:56:00 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sam Houston State 2018 569 receiving yards 10 TDs in just 8 games. 5'11" 180 or 195 depending on the report and runs the 40 in 4.64 (not a combine time). NFL career 2 games no receptions. Dillon Mitchell Oregon 2018 1184 receiving yards 10 TDs in 13 games. 6'1.25" 197 and runs the 40 in 4.46. NFL career 0 games 0 receptions.

You make a good case. If Mitchell makes the roster I will be rooting for him because he is a Viking. If any receivers make the team at the back end they will have to show something on special teams. There certainly are a lot of receivers vying for that including Johnson, Sharpe and Osborn who I believe have the inside track.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2053
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 8:32:49 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sam Houston State 2018 569 receiving yards 10 TDs in just 8 games. 5'11" 180 or 195 depending on the report and runs the 40 in 4.64 (not a combine time). NFL career 2 games no receptions. Dillon Mitchell Oregon 2018 1184 receiving yards 10 TDs in 13 games. 6'1.25" 197 and runs the 40 in 4.46. NFL career 0 games 0 receptions.

You make a good case. If Mitchell makes the roster I will be rooting for him because he is a Viking. If any receivers make the team at the back end they will have to show something on special teams. There certainly are a lot of receivers vying for that including Johnson, Sharpe and Osborn who I believe have the inside track.

As of now IMO the Vikings most likely WR roster.
Starters
Thielen
Jefferson
3rd Bisi
4 Sharpe
5 Osborn

Duking it out for at most one spot
Mitchell
D Davis
Q Davis
Beebe
Hollins

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2054
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 8:41:25 AM   
kgdabom

NFL Draft picks signed
84 out of 240

Vikings 0-15

13 teams have chosen not to sign anybody so far.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2055
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 9:22:29 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Starters
Thielen
Jefferson
3rd Bisi
4 Sharpe
5 Osborn

Mitchell
D Davis
Q Davis
Beebe
Hollins

When you say at most, I agree with you unless one of the back end receivers stands out. If they all are more or less on the same level, then it makes sense to stash them on the practice squad- perhaps two of them. That will save a roster spot for areas where roster cuts are more difficult.

Post #: 2056
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 10:55:31 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Starters
Thielen
Jefferson
3rd Bisi
4 Sharpe
5 Osborn

Mitchell
D Davis
Q Davis
Beebe
Hollins

I would put Q Davis, Hollins and Beebe ahead of Osborn.
Post #: 2057
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 11:20:48 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Starters
Thielen
Jefferson
3rd Bisi
4 Sharpe
5 Osborn

Mitchell
D Davis
Q Davis
Beebe
Hollins

Hollins and Beebe have proven themselves to be of no value. Osborn was drafted by the Vikings the team that will be deciding the order in the 5th round. The Vikings didn't consider Davis worth drafting. He will have a long ways to go to surpass Osborn.
If it's believed the Vikings just drafted Osborn as a PR than possibly whoever is the 6th WR kept will be the 5th WR in the pecking order.
I don't think that will be the way it is done. Osborn actually has good measurables and good game film.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/11/2020 11:23:52 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2058
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 11:29:54 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Starters
Thielen
Jefferson
3rd Bisi
4 Sharpe
5 Osborn

Mitchell
D Davis
Q Davis
Beebe
Hollins

Hollins and Beebe have proven themselves to be of no value. Osborn was drafted by the Vikings the team that will be deciding the order in the 5th round. The Vikings didn't consider Davis worth drafting. He will have a long ways to go to surpass Osborn.
If it's believed the Vikings just drafted Osborn as a PR than possibly whoever is the 6th WR kept will be the 5th WR in the pecking order.
I don't think that will be the way it is done. Osborn actually has good measurables and good game film.

Hollins and Beebe actually made it on an NFL roster and played.

Punt Returner is Osborn's ticket to making a roster. Not sure if he can have the success he had in college against better athletes.
Post #: 2059
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 11:31:15 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Starters
Thielen
Jefferson
3rd Bisi
4 Sharpe
5 Osborn

Mitchell
D Davis
Q Davis
Beebe
Hollins

Punt Returner is Osborn's ticket to making a roster. Not sure if he can have the success he had in college against better athletes.

That's why I said they have proven themselves of no value.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2060
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 11:42:28 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Osborn ran a 4.48 forty and Q Davis ran a 4.65. There have to be reasons Davis was not drafted, although he was projected by many to be a mid round draft pick. There were 37 other receivers who were drafted, but the Vikings gave him a big bonus so they must like him. Also, this was a really good year for wide receivers in the draft.

Davis was productive on the collegiate level, so even though his numbers and size are similar to Beebe, he looks more promising.

I think Osborn is better than his production at Miami U. I mean, his numbers were better at Buffalo and the quarterback was lacking in Miami. You can bet the Vikings scouts looked at his Buffalo tape too. Supposedly he has good hands and he takes care of the ball well. I actually think he is a lock to make the team.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/11/2020 6:51:44 PM >

Post #: 2061
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 12:20:54 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Starters
Thielen
Jefferson
3rd Bisi
4 Sharpe
5 Osborn

Mitchell
D Davis
Q Davis
Beebe
Hollins

Did Thielen prove himself on field right away?
Post #: 2062
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 2:53:33 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Thielen was good (not great) right away and he was contributing significantly on special teams, but they put him on the practice squad anyway.

Post #: 2063
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 5:20:25 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Did Thielen prove himself on field right away?

I've seen all I want to see of Beebe and Hollins.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2064
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 6:42:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Chad Beebe had a 4.68 forty. He's 5'10". He played at Northern Illinois, which is in the Mid-America Conference. His numbers were not particularly impressive and he did miss a year due to injury in college and in the NFL. It seems that he does get hurt a lot.

Alexander Hollins had a 4.48 forty He's also 6'1" He started at a community college, but finished at Eastern Illinois, which is a Ohio Valley school, but he had impressive numbers his Senior year.

Looking at the numbers I have to give the edge to Hollins. He looks like he has more potential that could be developed. I'm just saying he has a better chance. Beebe looks like he must be a slot receiver only. Add to it his history of injury- well, he could only make the team if he is an absolute stud on special teams.

Post #: 2065
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/11/2020 6:50:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.vikings.com/video/state-of-the-vikings-cornerbacks

Gladney gave up only two passes for 16 yards vs. Lamb last year. (one was a TD)

Against Baylor and Mims, he gave up 5 pass completions and 57 yards, but two TD's. Still, not so bad against top level competition.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/11/2020 7:03:07 PM >

Post #: 2066
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 9:01:10 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

NFL Draft picks signed
84 out of 240

Vikings 0-15

13 teams have chosen not to sign anybody so far.

They will sign them when they report and take their physicals. Some teams chose to use a 3rd party physician to perform the physicals in order to get around NFL rules.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2067
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 9:47:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

On Twitter there has been disagreement over who is the better running back. This article articulates why Cook is better.

https://thevikingage.com/2020/07/12/minnesota-vikings-dalvin-cook-aaron-jones/

Post #: 2068
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 11:33:57 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

Thielen was good (not great) right away and he was contributing significantly on special teams, but they put him on the practice squad anyway.

Aren't most good before they're great coming into the NFL? Obviously the greatness was in there all the time. Going from MSU to NFL is a jump and to perform at the level he now does isn't it fair to say the greatness was there from the beginning? - just a matter of absorbing a whole new level of material first to see what there is to see.

Some just saw it before others ....

.... it's like the sunglasses salesman bit; because he didn't show #1 overall draft pick abilities out of the gate and he was white from rural MN there was no way he could be great, even good by some observations
Post #: 2069
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 12:43:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Aren't most good before they're great coming into the NFL? Obviously the greatness was in there all the time. Going from MSU to NFL is a jump and to perform at the level he now does isn't it fair to say the greatness was there from the beginning? - just a matter of absorbing a whole new level of material first to see what there is to see.

.... it's like the sunglasses salesman bit; because he didn't show #1 overall draft pick abilities out of the gate and he was white from rural MN there was no way he could be great, even good by some observations

I looked up who the receivers were for the Vikings that year that were kept on the roster. The starters were Greg Jennings and Charles Johnson.

Also on the roster were Cordarrelle Patterson, Jarius Wright, Jerome Simpson, and Rodney Smith. I believe Stephen Burton was also cut with Thielen. Greg Childs was trying to make it back from a devastating injury the prior year, but was unsuccessful.

It's worth pointing out that no other team claimed Thielen when he was cut. He cleared waivers. I personally don't think that the wide receiver group was particularly distinguished.

Thielen had a lot of receivers to leap frog and although he played very well he was going against the back end of the roster for the other teams in the preseason. In hind sight we have to say the Vikings blew it, but got lucky. Leslie Frazier was the head coach. Bill Musgrave was the offensive coordinator and the receivers coach was George Sterwart who was our receivers coach for about ten years and that was the middle of his tenure.

Post #: 2070
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 12:52:55 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I looked up who the receivers were for the Vikings that year that were kept on the roster. The starters were Greg Jennings and Charles Johnson.

Also on the roster were Cordarrelle Patterson, Jarius Wright, Jerome Simpson, and Rodney Smith. I believe Stephen Burton was also cut with Thielen. Greg Childs was trying to make it back from a devastating injury the prior year, but was unsuccessful.

It's worth pointing out that no other team claimed Thielen when he was cut. He cleared waivers. I personally don't think that the wide receiver group was particularly distinguished.

Thielen had a lot of receivers to leap frog and although he played very well he was going against the back end of the roster for the other teams in the preseason. In hind sight we have to say the Vikings blew it, but got lucky. Leslie Frazier was the head coach. Bill Musgrave was the offensive coordinator and the receivers coach was George Sterwart who was our receivers coach for about ten years and that was the middle of his tenure.

Seems like all I ever heard about George Stewart was that he was one of the most highly rated WR coaches in the league. Also seems like until Diggs and Thielen, we really struggled under him at WR.
Post #: 2071
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 12:59:40 PM   
Bill Johanesen

With the newer CBAs, practice time and number of reps are severely limited. A few years ago one of the WRs was released and did well elsewhere for at least a little while. The WR coach said he didn't see the talent among all the WRs they were trying to evaluate.

Theilen worked hard every year to improve, so it would have been difficult at best to project he'd be a decent starter let alone a Pro Bowler.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 7/12/2020 1:00:56 PM >
Post #: 2072
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 1:09:12 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seems like all I ever heard about George Stewart was that he was one of the most highly rated WR coaches in the league. Also seems like until Diggs and Thielen, we really struggled under him at WR.

He's an assistant head coach and special teams coordinator for the Chargers now. I'm wondering if he was involved in the selection of Treadwell. I'm too tired to look it up, now. One of the results of Covid is that I get tired easily. I do recall that he was praised for being a very good receivers coach.

Edit: I believe he was involved with Treadwell's selection. He was the long time receivers coach and he must have approved of the selection and also the selection of Patterson before that.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/12/2020 1:12:00 PM >

Post #: 2073
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 1:47:20 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

With the newer CBAs, practice time and number of reps are severely limited. A few years ago one of the WRs was released and did well elsewhere for at least a little while. The WR coach said he didn't see the talent among all the WRs they were trying to evaluate.

Theilen worked hard every year to improve, so it would have been difficult at best to project he'd be a decent starter let alone a Pro Bowler.

Good point about the newer CBA's. That and he came from MSU, undrafted, working his way up the ladder. Not too much of a scare that he was going to get plucked before we put him on the practice squad that first year, imo.
Post #: 2074
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/12/2020 4:38:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

https://www.vikings.com/video/state-of-the-vikings-cornerbacks

Gladney gave up only two passes for 16 yards vs. Lamb last year. (one was a TD)

Against Baylor and Mims, he gave up 5 pass completions and 57 yards, but two TD's. Still, not so bad against top level competition.

The two TDs for Mims were in the OT set up. He gave up virtually nothing for the whole regular game. I don't know if that makes him less clutch giving them up in OT where teams are given the ball in scoring situations.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2075
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode