Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 1:57:46 PM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Mark you seem to think people are only motivated by money. I imagine you're correct to an extent.

Do I think that LBJ is motivated to become an Owner so he can make more money? No. I think he wants to show that African Americans can and should have a chance at being an Owner.

As noble as that is I can't endorse organizing our tax structure so a person with millions, earning more millions every year, not getting taxed enough to make our society run correctly just so he can achieve a benchmark that will involve even more millions of profits. Lebron might have to take one for the team here and god forbid not become an owner of an NBA franchise. Oh the humanity.

In today's world, you might be considered racist for those views.
Post #: 1276
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 2:03:54 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mark you seem to think people are only motivated by money. I imagine you're correct to an extent.

Do I think that LBJ is motivated to become an Owner so he can make more money? No. I think he wants to show that African Americans can and should have a chance at being an Owner.

As noble as that is I can't endorse organizing our tax structure so a person with millions, earning more millions every year, not getting taxed enough to make our society run correctly just so he can achieve a benchmark that will involve even more millions of profits. Lebron might have to take one for the team here and god forbid not become an owner of an NBA franchise. Oh the humanity.

In today's world, you might be considered racist for those views.

No I wouldn’t.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1277
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 2:39:58 PM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Here's a promise I'll make. The day I make over $10,000,000.00 in one year I'll pay 100% tax (or charity) on every last dollar I make over the $10,000,000.00. I just won the game of life my friends!!! It's baffling to me that there's a human being out there anywhere that could even think for a second that there was some sort of unfairness in a system like this.

Ffs if I made 1 million dollars a year... I’d not only gladly pay 70% tax on that.. straight up.. and then give 100% of every dollars made, over and above that, directly to paying off the interest on the debt.

I have lived at or below 30 k/ year ever since I joined the navy @ 19..

The year after I graduated I had three jobs, they paid $2.00/ hr, $3.40/hour and $4.02/ hour.. may 1975- august 1976...

$ 300,000/ a year? For 2000 hours of work? Even 60 hours a week? 3000 hours a year?

Fn sign me the Hell up... 5 years of that and I will voluntarily give up Social Security.

People and the government in particular need to learn to live within their means.

My Social Security check is $1,120.00 a month, I have a part time job with “ set your own hours” type work that makes me about $ 150.00/ WEEK.. pissing around money..and I own, with my wife, a real estate rental property, that pays for itself and it’s related upkeep as it grows in equity.

Both our cars are paid for, I have a grand total of $4800 dollars in personal, unsecured debt.

I am not on Medicare or Medicaid and I pay $150.00 +- a month for combined health vision and dental care.

I pay $80.00 a month for 5 prescription medications.

I do my research.. I compare plan coverages and pricing..

But, conversely I am considered by the state of Nebraska to be an unfit parent, because I was accused of neglect and failure to protect... blah fn blah...

300k per year for 5 years and I could retire and try to live on 1.2 million dollars for the next 20 years...

If you DARE whine at me about “ tax burden” I will straight up kick you in the crotch, then curb stomp your jaw to shut you up for a while...

GTFOOHWTS

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 10/22/2020 2:52:37 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1278
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 5:12:21 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

The thing is Biden has no real tax plan that works with how it is presented. He has no real plan. So what are economists backing?

Pence asked Harris in the debate three times if they would just change the system to get their way. Three times she said she would answer the direct question and three times she totally avoided it. She even offered to answer it but then did anything but.

Like I said I have some issues with Trump also.

Biden is a puppet who is being led in whatever direction the lunatics are taking him. He's never done anything productive up to this point.
Trump is a loud mouth and doesn't give a crap if you don't like hearing something and has no interest in selling a feel good story.

If anyone is defending either of these two whichever side your on your in for disappointment.

I will say however I do like Mike Pence. Take away the fly distraction and it was obvious his intelligence is so far beyond Harris it was laughable.

Biden has no tax plan that works? As apposed to what? The tax plan that Trump has implemented that doesn't work?

You are aware that the national debt has increased by over $8-trillion under Trump, right? It's increased to its highest level ever and is increasing at the fastest pace ever.

So much for having a great businessman in office.

Let me help you on the great tax plan put together by Biden....there is a donut between the current cap on Social Security that I believe is $125k-400k....guess what Senators and House Reps make? Also lets talk about the Pension and HealthCare they receive plus the staffers they have.

You want to help the budget....lets look at the internal workings of our government....they aren't even willing to pay more taxes. That is hypocrisy of this tax plan. Same to do with Health Care. We know the middle men are getting paid, Insurance Companies, and providers are making mint....but neither side will attack it.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/22/2020 5:20:39 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1279
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 5:19:19 PM   
paulgly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

The thing is Biden has no real tax plan that works with how it is presented. He has no real plan. So what are economists backing?

Pence asked Harris in the debate three times if they would just change the system to get their way. Three times she said she would answer the direct question and three times she totally avoided it. She even offered to answer it but then did anything but.

Like I said I have some issues with Trump also.

Biden is a puppet who is being led in whatever direction the lunatics are taking him. He's never done anything productive up to this point.
Trump is a loud mouth and doesn't give a crap if you don't like hearing something and has no interest in selling a feel good story.

If anyone is defending either of these two whichever side your on your in for disappointment.

I will say however I do like Mike Pence. Take away the fly distraction and it was obvious his intelligence is so far beyond Harris it was laughable.

Biden has no tax plan that works? As apposed to what? The tax plan that Trump has implemented that doesn't work?

You are aware that the national debt has increased by over $8-trillion under Trump, right? It's increased to its highest level ever and is increasing at the fastest pace ever.

So much for having a great businessman in office.

Let me help you on the great tax plan put together by Biden....there is a donut between the current cap on Social Security that I believe is $125k-400k....guess what Senators and House Reps make? Also lets talk about the Pension and HealthCare they receive plus the staffers they have.

You want to help the budget....lets look at the internal workings of our government....they aren't even willing to pay more taxes. That is hypocrisy of this tax plan. Same to do with Health Care. We know the middle men are getting paid, Insurance Companies, and providers are making mint....but neither side will attack it.

Can you expand a bit on Social Security? I believe the cap this year is around 140k. What is Biden changing? Salary for a member of Congress is 174k. I honestly don't know what Biden is proposing for Social Security, but it wouldn't really benefit congresspeople more to raise the cap? They'd still have to pay more taxes, right?

Thanks I see it now. I don't understand what this means though. Once you hit the social security cap, you STOP paying additional SS taxes (so any wages above the max are not taxed any more). So...between 137k-400k would be no different than it is now since those wages currently aren't subject to SS tax?

< Message edited by paulgly -- 10/22/2020 5:24:46 PM >
Post #: 1280
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 5:20:48 PM   
Phil Riewer

Here is the section:
Payroll taxes. For 2020, the Social Security payroll tax is 6.2% each for the employee and employer on wages up to the contribution base of $137,700 ($142,800 in 2021). Self-employed individuals are liable for Social Security tax of 12.4% on their net profits. The Biden plan would impose an additional Social Security payroll tax of 6.2% each on employer and employee on all earned income of $400,000 or more. Under the plan, no additional Social Security tax would be imposed on wages between the wage base, currently $137,700, up to $400,000.

Post #: 1281
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 5:23:32 PM   
Phil Riewer

There isn't a Social Security problem if you tax all.....there doesn't seem a good reason to me to put in the donut....$140k-400k....is that considered middle class now?

I have been on record for this since day one....not bitching about raising taxes but if my taxes go up because the $140-up refuse to pay their fair share into social security....that seems like the problem to me. You know a ton of Lobbyists/Reps/Senators/ etc. make that exact range.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/22/2020 5:28:47 PM >

Post #: 1282
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 5:26:58 PM   
paulgly

quote:

There isn't a Social Security problem if you tax all.....there doesn't seem a good reason to me to put in the donut....$140 k-400k....is that considered middle class now?

So you realize that there are no SS taxes in current state above 137k, right? This literally has no impact on Congress taxes. They would pay the same amount they currently are.

< Message edited by paulgly -- 10/22/2020 5:29:22 PM >
Post #: 1283
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 5:32:18 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulgly

quote:

There isn't a Social Security problem if you tax all.....there doesn't seem a good reason to me to put in the donut....$140 k-400k....is that considered middle class now?

So you realize that there are no SS taxes in current state above 137k, right? This literally has no impact on Congress salaries. They would pay the same amount they currently are.

Duh. That is what I am saying....this is the problem I have with the Biden Tax plan.....everyone should pay the 6.2%. The Reps and Senators put that donut in for themselves and lobbyists.

I have said this for months and years. If you take the cap off of Social Security you don't have to raise taxes. (they should eliminate the donut)

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/22/2020 5:34:27 PM >

Post #: 1284
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 5:39:47 PM   
paulgly

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you realize that there are no SS taxes in current state above 137k, right? This literally has no impact on Congress salaries. They would pay the same amount they currently are.

Duh. That is what I am saying....this is the problem I have with the Biden Tax plan.....everyone should pay the 6.2%. The Reps and Senators put that donut in for themselves and lobbyists.

I have said this for months and years. If you take the cap off of Social Security you don't have to raise taxes.

They already pay 6.2% up to 137k. Since their salary is 174k that means 37k is not CURRENTLY subject to SS tax under EXISTING tax law (like for 2020 - anything I make over 137k is not subject to any SS tax). The Biden tax plan isn't changing anything for anybody than those who make more than 400k - so they would have to START paying 6.2% again on wages over 400k.

Do you really think Donald Trump would ADD a SS tax for anything over 137k? I mean that would impact FAR more people than something that only affects those making more than 400k.
Post #: 1285
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 7:03:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

I think you are losing the point. If you want a fair tax plan you erase the cap on SS and don't raise taxes on above 400k.

This isn't about politics, Biden, or Trump. Fair is fair. Everyone pays 6.2% on their salary. The biggest hypocrisy of the Biden tax plan is that it doesn't do what is most right. Plus you wouldn't have to raised the federal tax rate, etc.

I know about that and read about it but it has always been my beef. You should have raised the cap on it years ago and now they are putting in the loophole....just do what is right and take the floor and donut out.

I paid 6% when I was making $3 an hour as a 16 year old. Why shouldn't it just be a standard rate for all?

Post #: 1286
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 7:17:35 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Here's a promise I'll make. The day I make over $10,000,000.00 in one year I'll pay 100% tax (or charity) on every last dollar I make over the $10,000,000.00. I just won the game of life my friends!!! It's baffling to me that there's a human being out there anywhere that could even think for a second that there was some sort of unfairness in a system like this.

Ffs if I made 1 million dollars a year... I’d not only gladly pay 70% tax on that.. straight up.. and then give 100% of every dollars made, over and above that, directly to paying off the interest on the debt.

No you wouldn't. Straight up.
Post #: 1287
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/22/2020 7:32:03 PM   
paulgly

quote:

I think you are losing the point. If you want a fair tax plan you erase the cap on SS and don't raise taxes on above 400k.

This isn't about politics, Biden, or Trump. Fair is fair. Everyone pays 6.2% on their salary. The biggest hypocrisy of the Biden tax plan is that it doesn't do what is most right. Plus you wouldn't have to raised the federal tax rate, etc.

I know about that and read about it but it has always been my beef. You should have raised the cap on it years ago and now they are putting in the loophole....just do what is right and take the floor and donut out.

I paid 6% when I was making $3 an hour as a 16 year old. Why shouldn't it just be a standard rate for all?

So to be clear, you are ok with a progressive tax increase for everyone making over 137k? Because 6.2% of a millionaire's paycheck is obviously a lot more than someone making 150k.

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree, I just don't hear Republicans advocating for raised taxes very often. And i can guarantee you that won't happen with a Republican president. No chance the even 400k part happens. At least Biden's plan has that.
Post #: 1288
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 6:10:01 AM   
Brad H

Yesterday we had 74,301 cases of the virus in the United States. It was the fourth highest day on record, and within 4,500 cases of the highest day ever.

Rounding the curve? At what point do some of you quit believing the president's lies? We're 7.5 months into this deal.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 10/23/2020 6:37:00 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1289
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 6:23:36 AM   
Brad H

States that broke their single-day highs in virus cases this week:

Ohio
North Carolina
Tennessee
Wisconsin
Missouri
Michigan
Indiana
Minnesota
Arkansas
Utah
Kentucky
Colorado
Kansas
Nebraska
Idaho
New Mexico
South Dakota
North Dakota
Rhode Island
Montana
West Virginia
Wyoming

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1290
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 8:49:02 AM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

You have no idea what I would or wouldn’t do...

Except vote out every republican, always and forever.

Keep your self projections of greed to yourself.. where they belong.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1291
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:03:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

So to be clear, you are ok with a progressive tax increase for everyone making over 137k? Because 6.2% of a millionaire's paycheck is obviously a lot more than someone making 150k.

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree, I just don't hear Republicans advocating for raised taxes very often. And i can guarantee you that won't happen with a Republican president. No chance the even 400k part happens. At least Biden's plan has that.

It isn't a progressive tax increase. It is called paying into social security. Everyone should pay 6.2% on everything they make....anyone under 137k already is. They are picking and choosing right now. This isn't Democrat or Republican now. Take the cap off of SS and you don't have to adjust Fed Tax rates. Pretty damn simple. The only problem is that they based SS benefits on 137k max that will have to be fixed also and it is a problem.

I think 3k is the max monthly payment currently but what if a billionaire is paying in 7 million a year into SS?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/23/2020 9:14:17 AM >

Post #: 1292
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:18:44 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

LeBron probably wants to be an owner. He would claim unfairness if you ended up taking 75% of what he earned away from him.

I'm late to this, and you probably are just wording this wrong and understand the facts, but there's a common misperception that bears pointing out. It's only 75% (in this example) on dollars $10,000,001 and beyond. Everyone pays the same percentage on the same amounts; the percentage only changes on the increments above the threshold amounts.
Post #: 1293
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:27:22 AM   
bohumm

quote:

I agree it should be uniform without a cap, but I think what the hole is about is the fact that no one's benefit goes up past the cap, which is a bit north of $3000/month, so they're trying to address a "fairness" issue that someone in that hole range might need both the 6% on that income in the gap and the benefit. I disagree, but that's probably what it's about. I would also look at phasing out the benefit for higher net worth individuals, but that gets real complicated real fast.
Post #: 1294
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:28:27 AM   
bohumm

quote:

Yesterday we had 74,301 cases of the virus in the United States. It was the fourth highest day on record, and within 4,500 cases of the highest day ever.

Rounding the curve? At what point do some of you quit believing the president's lies? We're 7.5 months into this deal.

Longest curve ever, like the arc around the edge of the universe.
Post #: 1295
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:30:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

LeBron probably wants to be an owner. He would claim unfairness if you ended up taking 75% of what he earned away from him.

I'm late to this, and you probably are just wording this wrong and understand the facts, but there's a common misperception that bears pointing out. It's only 75% (in this example) on dollars $10,000,001 and beyond. Everyone pays the same percentage on the same amounts; the percentage only changes on the increments above the threshold amounts.

I think it is totally unfair. Tax them the same SS rate. Right now the plan doesn't only favor the very rich. It favors everyone that makes over 137k.

Post #: 1296
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:40:02 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it is totally unfair. Tax them the same SS rate. Right now the plan doesn't only favor the very rich. It favors everyone that makes over 137k.

Agreed.
Post #: 1297
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:45:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

Like I said yesterday....Reps and Senators make 175-225k plus expenses that get taxed and they can earn 15% more salary.....they are the ones in the donut in Biden's plan (they want to raises taxes on others). Hypocrisy.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/23/2020 9:48:23 AM >

Post #: 1298
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:46:15 AM   
TJSweens

You could remove the cap and cut the rate in half and make social security more solvent than it is now.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1299
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:47:08 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

You have no idea what I would or wouldn’t do...

Except vote out every republican, always and forever.

Keep your self projections of greed to yourself.. where they belong.

You have no idea what you would do if you made $1M /yr. Pretty sure you wouldn't HAPPILY pay 70% of it to the government, not if you could do something actually useful with it. The greed part? Maybe you should recheck your Gofundme.
Post #: 1300
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode