Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:51:28 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Here's a promise I'll make. The day I make over $10,000,000.00 in one year I'll pay 100% tax (or charity) on every last dollar I make over the $10,000,000.00. I just won the game of life my friends!!! It's baffling to me that there's a human being out there anywhere that could even think for a second that there was some sort of unfairness in a system like this.

LeBron probably wants to be an owner. He would claim unfairness if you ended up taking 75% of what he earned away from him.

I'm late to this, and you probably are just wording this wrong and understand the facts, but there's a common misperception that bears pointing out. It's only 75% (in this example) on dollars $10,000,001 and beyond. Everyone pays the same percentage on the same amounts; the percentage only changes on the increments above the threshold amounts.

I think it is totally unfair. Tax them the same SS rate. Right now the plan doesn't only favor the very rich. It favors everyone that makes over 137k.

Not really. There is also a cap on SS benefits. SS was designed to pay out based on what you pay in. Since there is a cap on paying out, there should be a cap on paying in.
Post #: 1301
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:51:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens
You could remove the cap and cut the rate in half and make social security more solvent than it is now.

This is also the reason that many hated Forbes 15% across the board tax....many pay hardly any.

For example a person that saves every dime early and retires at 40 gets no tax on capital gains up to 75,000 yearly plus their deductions. They don't have to pay SS or Federal Tax. There are many loopholes out there....not just the extreme rich.

Getting rid of the SS cap is the easiest to fix first.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1302
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:52:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's a promise I'll make. The day I make over $10,000,000.00 in one year I'll pay 100% tax (or charity) on every last dollar I make over the $10,000,000.00. I just won the game of life my friends!!! It's baffling to me that there's a human being out there anywhere that could even think for a second that there was some sort of unfairness in a system like this.

LeBron probably wants to be an owner. He would claim unfairness if you ended up taking 75% of what he earned away from him.

I'm late to this, and you probably are just wording this wrong and understand the facts, but there's a common misperception that bears pointing out. It's only 75% (in this example) on dollars $10,000,001 and beyond. Everyone pays the same percentage on the same amounts; the percentage only changes on the increments above the threshold amounts.

I think it is totally unfair. Tax them the same SS rate. Right now the plan doesn't only favor the very rich. It favors everyone that makes over 137k.

Not really. There is also a cap on SS benefits. SS was designed to pay out based on what you pay in. Since there is a cap on paying out, there should be a cap on paying in.

I mentioned that as a con a few posts ago....but the problem still is incoming money first.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1303
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:53:42 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

You missed the post where I had it divided out.

I'll bump it.
Post #: 1304
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:54:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You want to tax 75% of every earned dollar starting at $1.00? Oh sorry I'm not down with that.

Missed what I was saying.

LBJ 100M yearly income
LBJ 500M Net worth

1st 10M: Probably 3-4m in taxes
Rest of income, 90M: 63M in taxes
Net Worth Tax: 10M

Bump for Bohumm

No where did I say that this couldn't solve some problems if money spent wisely. Good luck on that in our system of lobbyists and constant re-election thinking by our Representatives.(Term Limits!!!)

My original post was that superstar athletes would be defecting from DEM party if something like this became law.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 10/23/2020 10:01:27 AM >
Post #: 1305
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 9:54:32 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Yesterday we had 74,301 cases of the virus in the United States. It was the fourth highest day on record, and within 4,500 cases of the highest day ever.

Rounding the curve? At what point do some of you quit believing the president's lies? We're 7.5 months into this deal.

Longest curve ever, like the arc around the edge of the universe.

Those European leaders must REALLY be some lying MF'ers.
Post #: 1306
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 10:01:24 AM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You want to tax 75% of every earned dollar starting at $1.00? Oh sorry I'm not down with that.

LBJ 100M yearly income
LBJ 500M Net worth

Bump for Bohumm

No where did I say that this couldn't solve some problems if money spent wisely. Good luck on that in our system of lobbyists and constant re-election thinking by our Representatives.

My original post was that superstar athletes would be defecting from DEM party if something like this became law.

Fitty Cent already has.
Post #: 1307
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 10:04:16 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

LBJ 100M yearly income
LBJ 500M Net worth

Bump for Bohumm

No where did I say that this couldn't solve some problems if money spent wisely. Good luck on that in our system of lobbyists and constant re-election thinking by our Representatives.

Fitty Cent already has.

One side of the mouth says "we need to have a system that minorities can gain wealth". Other side of mouth "Tax the living sh** out of you".
Post #: 1308
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 10:08:05 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Every one in 21.75 people in North Dakota either have COVID or have had COVID. Just to put things into perspective. They have a positivity rate of just over 12.6%.

If you go to UND or NDSU, you can get paid for taking a Covid test. You also get entered into a lottery for scholarships.

That doesn't have anything to do with the positivity rate but it makes you wonder what the reasoning is.

That they want to know what the pandemic is doing to their students so they can make informed decisions on what parts of the campus are open or closed?

Maybe. But most students are doing it for the gift.

Colleges and municipalities may have figured out that it takes an incentive to get some people to get the test. If we had better leadership at the top, who promoted testing rather than denigrating it, they may not have to go to such lengths.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1309
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 10:08:19 AM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

I have lived my entire life on 10% or less of $300,000 /year in gross income..

Never mind my net, which is after I pay my taxes, lower.

Yet you think I would suddenly become some kind of spendthrift wanton consumer who hordes “toys” and status symbols with an after tax windfall of ten times more money that I have ever made?

C’mon, man...

And throwing my failed go fund me, and your contribution, which I personally thanked you for, in my face and playing that off as you are not greedy, while suggesting I would be greedy and shallow.. is just wrong.

IF, the scenario I sighted were to be a reality, you can damn skippy bet you would get your contribution back in spades, with interest, and I’d spend every penny above and beyond living expenses, on getting MY ONLY Daughter, out of the hypocritical hands of the State of Nebraska’s money driven Foster care system.

Projecting your views on people you know very little about is the definition of disingenuous.

I thought you were a better person than that.

Get off my jock.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 10/23/2020 10:11:54 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1310
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 10:10:41 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Every one in 21.75 people in North Dakota either have COVID or have had COVID. Just to put things into perspective. They have a positivity rate of just over 12.6%.

If you go to UND or NDSU, you can get paid for taking a Covid test. You also get entered into a lottery for scholarships.

That doesn't have anything to do with the positivity rate but it makes you wonder what the reasoning is.

That they want to know what the pandemic is doing to their students so they can make informed decisions on what parts of the campus are open or closed?

Maybe. But most students are doing it for the gift.

Colleges and municipalities may have figured out that it takes an incentive to get some people to get the test. If we had better leadership at the top, who promoted testing rather than denigrating it, they may not have to go to such lengths.

Both of our states have tested more than the population of our respective states. People aren't going to run in to get tested(and miss work) when they feel well.
Post #: 1311
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 10:41:59 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yesterday we had 74,301 cases of the virus in the United States. It was the fourth highest day on record, and within 4,500 cases of the highest day ever.

Rounding the curve? At what point do some of you quit believing the president's lies? We're 7.5 months into this deal.

Don't know what you're talking about here, but it may be germane that we are talking about the populace and President of the United States, who has been saying we're rounding the curve for months, and now says we're learning to live with it as well. If you get what he's saying and how it's supposed to be reassuring, you're a better man than me (which is probably true anyway).
Post #: 1312
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 10:50:40 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I have lived my entire life on 10% or less of $300,000 /year in gross income..

Never mind my net, which is after I pay my taxes, lower.

Yet you think I would suddenly become some kind of spendthrift wanton consumer who hordes “toys” and status symbols with an after tax windfall of ten times more money that I have ever made?

C’mon, man...

And throwing my failed go fund me, and your contribution, which I personally thanked you for, in my face and playing that off as you are not greedy, while suggesting I would be greedy and shallow.. is just wrong.

IF, the scenario I sighted were to be a reality, you can damn skippy bet you would get your contribution back in spades, with interest, and I’d spend every penny above and beyond living expenses, on getting MY ONLY Daughter, out of the hypocritical hands of the State of Nebraska’s money driven Foster care system.

Projecting your views on people you know very little about is the definition of disingenuous.

I thought you were a better person than that.

Get off my jock.

I didn't suggest you would be greedy at all. I suggested that you, if you were in that monetary situation, would not happily throw 70% of it at Uncle Sam if you could do something more worthwhile with that money.
Post #: 1313
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 10:57:02 AM  2 votes
Daniel Lee Young

Paying taxes.. is not, to me a “ well if I feel like it, and can’t find a way to avoid it”.. game.

It is an obligation you have to every other American to do what you can to make “ the system” work for everyone.

It is not a game of hide and seek or catch me if you can.

It is a responsibility that you accept as an upstanding citize.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1314
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 11:06:37 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't know what you're talking about here, but it may be germane that we are talking about the populace and President of the United States, who has been saying we're rounding the curve for months, and now says we're learning to live with it as well. If you get what he's saying and how it's supposed to be reassuring, you're a better man than me (which is probably true anyway).

We seem to be basing COVID case rates on the number of lies our leaders spew.
Post #: 1315
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 11:14:05 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Paying taxes.. is not, to me a “ well if I feel like it, and can’t find a way to avoid it”.. game.

It is an obligation you have to every other American to do what you can to make “ the system” work for everyone.

If you could figure out a legal way to pay less taxes, and use that money directly to help somebody out, you wouldn't rather do that, vs paying it to Uncle Sam for the pennies on the dollar benefit "the system” provides?

< Message edited by thebigo -- 10/23/2020 11:45:03 AM >
Post #: 1316
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 11:20:42 AM  2 votes
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

If you could figure out a legal way to pay less taxes, and use that money directly to help somebody out, you wouldn't rather do that, vs paying it to Uncle Sam for the pennies on the dollar benefit our "system” provides?

I don't know about Dan, but rich people aren't exactly known for showering money on those in need out of the goodness of their hearts. They do enough to get tax breaks and to create the image of benevolence. Mainly, they just hide as much money as they possibly can.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1317
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 11:43:53 AM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you could figure out a legal way to pay less taxes, and use that money directly to help somebody out, you wouldn't rather do that, vs paying it to Uncle Sam for the pennies on the dollar benefit our "system” provides?

I don't know about Dan, but rich people aren't exactly known for showering money on those in need out of the goodness of their hearts. They do enough to get tax breaks and to create the image of benevolence. Mainly, they just hide as much money as they possibly can.

Link? Not really relevant to Dan's and my discussion anyway. Just kind of muddies things.
Post #: 1318
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 1:28:09 PM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Case rates are case rates, best documented by independent sources. We are currently at +/-60K per day in new cases and about 900 deaths per day. The response is failing in the U.S. no matter who blathers otherwise.
Post #: 1319
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 2:45:39 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Case rates are case rates, best documented by independent sources. We are currently at +/-60K per day in new cases and about 900 deaths per day. The response is failing in the U.S. no matter who blathers otherwise.

As it is failing even worse in Europe.
Post #: 1320
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 3:23:11 PM   
TJSweens

Only in the last couple of weeks. If you look at cases per million from the outset, the EU response has outperformed the US response by an embarrassing margin. During the summer the US was never below 70 cases per million with a peak at 200 per million. Meanwhile the EU was around 25. They had a recent spike and passed the US. History dictates they will get it under control faster than we will.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/20/covid-is-accelerating-across-the-globe-as-us-and-europe-head-into-flu-season.html

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 10/23/2020 3:25:52 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1321
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 3:28:19 PM   
David F.

I know when my kids bring home a test from school where they got an F I always ask if anyone got an even lower score than them. If the answer is yes then I say everything is just fine.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1322
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 4:40:29 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

Only in the last couple of weeks. If you look at cases per million from the outset, the EU response has outperformed the US response by an embarrassing margin. During the summer the US was never below 70 cases per million with a peak at 200 per million. Meanwhile the EU was around 25. They had a recent spike and passed the US. History dictates they will get it under control faster than we will.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/20/covid-is-accelerating-across-the-globe-as-us-and-europe-head-into-flu-season.html

"History dictates they will get it under control faster than we will." Via another economic shutdown. We're happy for them.
Post #: 1323
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 5:59:11 PM   
Brad H

I'd like to see the day when a person has the opportunity to choose which seven things they wish to have their taxes go towards. That military budget would instantly drop to a reasonable number.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1324
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/23/2020 6:29:38 PM   
Brad H

Another horrific day for COVID-19. On our way to what could be the highest day on record.

ROUNDING THE CURVE!

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1325
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode