Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 10:05:59 AM   
Trekgeekscott

My two cents

1. Cousins apparently thought Darius Slay was a teammate.

2. NO adjustment by the defense all game when what they were doing was NOT working. They got almost no pressure on Hurts. They didn't keep him contained. They gifted them 6-9 yards on nearly every first down. WRs wide open in the intermediate routes.

3 Is there something wrong with Cook? We haven't been able to get him going.

4. Finally have a potentially game altering play with the blocked FG and the first play we don't take a big shot...Should have been first second third fourth options on that play. You get a momentum shifting play like that you need to attack hard when you have the opposition on its figurative heels. We run the ball into a horde of green.

5. I can't get over how woefully unprepared we appeared.

6. Seriously, defense...tackling optional. On Hurts second TD run Bynum hits him but instead of wrapping, the tries to strip the ball... Football fundamentals...FIRST GUY GOES FOR THE TACKLE SECOND GUY GOES FOR THE BALL.

The only place I saw worse tackling all weekend was the Bears trying tackle Packers.

7. Special teams was the only unit who really looked like they were trying. I saw very little adjustment from the O or D this game. When we did look like we were finally getting things going we'd shoot ourselves in the foot. Discipline was lacking this game.

The drop by Irv Smith killed us. That was a TD. Eagles came to play. Vikings just showed up.

At least the reffing was bad for both teams.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 9/20/2022 10:08:26 AM >

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 526
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 10:09:13 AM   
marty

Green Bay has a strong run defense, it's always tough to run on the road, especially when you don't try, and even more so when you're behind.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 527
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 10:10:15 AM   
marty

Buffalo has a shot at winning the SB, but I have NEVER picked the SB winner before the season, so maybe I finally got one right.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 528
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 10:12:09 AM   
ronhextall

NEVER EVER EVER Pay a running back big money.

So few cases of it working out. Almost all of them turn into a sideshow salary cap 24/7 conversation as soon as second contract starts.
Post #: 529
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 10:13:34 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Green Bay has a strong run defense, it's always tough to run on the road, especially when you don't try, and even more so when you're behind.

I don't think it would have mattered. At some point you're gonna need a throw from your qb. Last night we had zero chance with Kirk. He was the robot that short-circuited. He was determined to lose the game for us.
Post #: 530
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 10:14:32 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

So few cases of it working out. Almost all of them turn into a sideshow salary cap 24/7 conversation as soon as second contract starts.

Something Brad and I and a few others have been saying for a long time. It never works out!
Post #: 531
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 10:21:25 AM   
marty

Irv Smith concerned me in that he fumbled in a college bowl game his senior year. And he has been injury prone, wish they would have kept Conklin.

On Reagor's college highlights, he fumbled a punt return, but got a good bounce and ran it in for a TD. It concerns me that he may get nervous in big games, or that he may be fumble prone.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 532
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 10:24:34 AM   
JC2022

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2022

Hi Guys

Long time

I was at the game and Cousins was brutally bad. The Eagles are not a powerhouse by any stretch but the moment they put any pressure on Cousins he threw up some TERRIBLE balls.

He had 3 picks, should have had 6.

Hope everyone is well

JC

Agreed. It was amazing how many bad decisions he made. Twice the announcers blamed Irv Smith for not getting separation when Cousins threw it to him and he was covered like a book. On both plays the running back was wide open in the flat and could have run for 20-30 yards. They were just bad decisions and a quarterback not seeing the entire field.

I said it after last weeks game. The Vikings looked like a One Trick Pony in week one. It was Justin Jefferson or nothing. The coach wasn't getting anyone else involved.

It wasn't long ago that Dalvin Cook and Adam Thielen were considered by many to be elite players. Thielen didn't even get a pass thrown his way until late third/early fourth quarter. Dalvin Cook had six carries. We had a total of eight carries from our running backs. That is not a winning recipe.

Detroit ran all over the Eagles the week before yet the Vikes did not stick with the run

Thielen didn't seem to put in real work like he used to do. I didn't see the high motor guy

"They were just bad decisions and a quarterback not seeing the entire field."

It is all mental with Cousins. He can make the throws. But last night, his out patterns took FOREVER to get to the sidelines! I thought his arm was hurt because of the lack of steam on balls. Even slow Eagles DBs were almost able to jump those passes

If Cousins arm is not hurt, his mental block made his throws hesitant and weak
Post #: 533
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 11:00:03 AM   
David F.

We might have "won" the Diggs trade but the real winner was Diggs himself. We need to get on the path to becoming the place where an elite talent would choose to come rather than one an elite talent would flee. Maybe we're on that path, I don't know. New coach and new GM get more than two games to show me anything. This season is still every bit as intriguing as it was yesterday morning. If we had won last night I'd be here today saying 15 wins is plausible and let's be honest that isn't realistic for anyone (except MAYBE the Bills).

Beat a good Lions team (wow - did I just type that?) on Sunday and we're 2-1 and facing the Saints and then the Bears. We should be 3-2 at a minimum after five games. Anything less means we're screwed and anything more means I fire up the optimism machine for the eleventy-billionth time.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 534
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 11:02:28 AM   
David F.

PS. Mark me down as a Cousins hater. Irv dropping that ball sucked but the only difference it made was 24-7 instead of 24-14. Whoop-ta-di-doo.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 535
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 11:04:13 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

PS. Mark me down as a Cousins hater. Irv dropping that ball sucked but the only difference it made was 24-7 instead of 24-14. Whoop-ta-di-doo.

Exactly. As if Cousins would have somehow brought us back if he made the catch. Please. I'm not a Cousins hater per se but enough is enough. Done.
Post #: 536
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 11:12:01 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Not an excuse but if JJ runs the right route on that first INT, it's 24-21 and a whole different ballgame. Cousins was bad but that D
Post #: 537
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 11:15:18 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Not an excuse but if JJ runs the right route on that first INT, it's 24-21 and a whole different ballgame. Cousins was bad but that D

I'm glad we can squash the 2000 yard bs and mvp nonsense. The team needs to grow up and take care of things that matter. Such nonsense.
Post #: 538
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 11:27:22 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

Something Brad and I and a few others have been saying for a long time. It never works out!

Dime a dozen

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 539
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:02:31 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Slay owned JJ last night.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 540
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:05:55 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi Guys

Long time

I was at the game and Cousins was brutally bad. The Eagles are not a powerhouse by any stretch but the moment they put any pressure on Cousins he threw up some TERRIBLE balls.

Hope everyone is well

JC

Agreed. It was amazing how many bad decisions he made. Twice the announcers blamed Irv Smith for not getting separation when Cousins threw it to him and he was covered like a book. On both plays the running back was wide open in the flat and could have run for 20-30 yards. They were just bad decisions and a quarterback not seeing the entire field.

I said it after last weeks game. The Vikings looked like a One Trick Pony in week one. It was Justin Jefferson or nothing. The coach wasn't getting anyone else involved.

It wasn't long ago that Dalvin Cook and Adam Thielen were considered by many to be elite players. Thielen didn't even get a pass thrown his way until late third/early fourth quarter. Dalvin Cook had six carries. We had a total of eight carries from our running backs. That is not a winning recipe.

Detroit ran all over the Eagles the week before yet the Vikes did not stick with the run

Thielen didn't seem to put in real work like he used to do. I didn't see the high motor guy

"They were just bad decisions and a quarterback not seeing the entire field."

It is all mental with Cousins. He can make the throws. But last night, his out patterns took FOREVER to get to the sidelines! I thought his arm was hurt because of the lack of steam on balls. Even slow Eagles DBs were almost able to jump those passes

If Cousins arm is not hurt, his mental block made his throws hesitant and weak

Detroit came back late after Philly had a 38-14 lead.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 541
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:08:08 PM   
larryboy

Watching the game, it seemed like most of Cousin's throws were toward the defender side of the receiver, whether completions or interceptions - the receiver had to turn towards the defender to get the ball. Accurate, but not precise (as in targeting the wrong spot). The first INT may be an exception to that if he threw before Jefferson cut.
Post #: 542
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:08:33 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dime a dozen

Maybe so but resigning Barr and Rudolph are the big hurts to the current roster as well as the failed #1 picks of Gladney and Bradbury.

Post #: 543
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:11:24 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dime a dozen

Maybe so but resigning Barr and Rudolph are the big hurts to the current roster as well as the failed #1 picks of Gladney and Bradbury.

Pat Peterson wasn't good last year. I hope one of the young guys can take his spot. He's becoming brutal. You're dead on about Rudy and Bradbury etc
Post #: 544
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:17:10 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dime a dozen

Pat Peterson wasn't good last year. I hope one of the young guys can take his spot. He's becoming brutal. You're dead on about Rudy and Bradbury etc

Pat Peterson is on a one year contract; zero dead money.

I thought the Vikes should have traded for CB Bradberry. Looked pretty good last night.

Post #: 545
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:17:22 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dime a dozen

PP's decline was pretty obvious last year. He looks way past done now. Last night we were playing with one cb for most of the game. He blocked a fg, but his main job is to shut down one side of the field. He can't do that, even with a 20 yard cushion. Everything about the secondary was all wrong last night. I hope Ed has a real plan to cover up the deficiencies in the back 8.
Post #: 546
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:29:54 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Cousins was bad, no doubt, but as others have said, I'm much more worried about the D. I think Sykes mentioned it up thread. It looked like we were playing with 8 or 9 guys most of the night. Just massive openings all over the field for them to exploit.
Post #: 547
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:30:21 PM   
David F.

quote:

If we start down this path then we need to start subtracting any positive play that worked out in spite of a mistake like a blown coverage or a circus-type catch etc...

Post #: 548
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:48:09 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Slay owned JJ last night.

We made the mistake of not taking a deep shot. Even if there was safety help.

Slay had his eye in the backfield all night because he never had to worry about getting beat deep.
Post #: 549
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 12:51:18 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Hi Guys

Long time

Hope everyone is well

JC

Good to hear from you.

Were there any conflicts on Vikings bench? Donatell and Cousins should have been getting an earful.
Post #: 550
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode