Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 7:58:22 AM  3 votes
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

Saints already across the pond.

Vikings not leaving til later this week.

Hate that... seems like the teams that go early to get acclimated do well.

They're not trying to acclimate; they're staying on their local cycles/rhythms. I think the theory is that you don't acclimate in a few days anyway, so stick with the sleep schedule the team is attuned to on an ongoing basis. This idea is not unique to this organization.

To stay on their local cycles they of course would keep their body clocks in synch to CST. Which means they start the game at what their body clock thinks is 08:30 a.m. Which means waking up body clock wise at what, 06:00 a.m.? 05:30? Noonish local time.

And to get say 7 hours of sleep in, they go to bed at 11:00 p.m. CST or 5:00 a.m. local time.

All that's doable depending on some things, but the problem is the hitting starts when their body thinks it's time to get out of bed.

Saints meanwhile, if they are really across the pond, have 5-6 days to acclimate which is more than 'a few days' and right in line with synching them up for the London afternoon kickoff.

I suppose the teams consider the following week, which on the surface would mean the Vikings have the advantage. Mainly due to scheduling activities at a more normal time during the week. If the Saints got all their prep in, by Sunday it shouldn't matter.

So that seals it. You and so many others on this board are so much smarter than the team's health guys, Donatell, KOC, Kwesi, etc. I'm in awe.

Why don't you answer the issue(s) I presented instead of falling back to a dumbass remark? My guess is you most assuredly would if you could.

And the Saints took a different approach. Contrary to what you mistakenly said, their body clocks will be in synch with the mid-afternoon local kickoff time. Are they stupid?

It's not my plan, it's the plan by the medical staff of the Vikings. KOC mentioned that the overall philosophy is to maintain body rhythms from home, and that the medical staff will detail the plan with the media this week, so you can listen to that. And I think that your point about less disruption overall is the germane point.

My dumbass remark lumped you in with the overall impatience on this board with the new regime and the players. People have already called for Donatell's head because he's an idiot and talked about benching Kirk because there are apparently so many better options available. It's ludicrous and not at all interesting or edifying. None of what they're doing may work out, but can't we let it play out a little before concluding that all is lost?

I’ve been on this board long enough to post from all compass points … including the optimistic / hopeful side … where I was greatly annoyed with the type of position that I find myself in now … negative, unsure, impatient, quick to judge. And annoyed with posts that IMO are poorly reasoned, both negative and positive … but yes, especially with positive posts that I feel are ludicrous and not at all interesting or edifying.

In short, it works both ways.

And arguing that posters are less smart than ‘the experts’ … that doesn’t fly either. One, even a Bills fan (ie fan of an obviously good team) has every right to complain and second guess and slam his team’s ‘experts’, much less the fans of mediocre or worse teams … its what fans do and the league profits bazillions from from this emotional entitlement; two, experts can be very unsuccessful experts … and very deserving of criticism … any losing coach or GM got their position with expectations of success … amazingly few get there.
Post #: 926
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 9:15:03 AM   
ronhextall

This game worries me, seems like Cousins only does well for noon kickoffs. I read he has his day on a spreadsheet in 15 minute increments (I really hope that isn't true).

Any slight deviation from the norm (prime time games) seems cause him to play like ass.
Post #: 927
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 9:16:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

StaceyDales
@StaceyDales
·
22m
At #Saints open portion of practice today. No sign of Jameis Winston. No sign of Michael Thomas. Andy Dalton took first team reps, Taysom Hill (who missed WK3 with a rib injury) took second team reps at QB. Updates coming…

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 928
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 9:26:12 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

This game worries me, seems like Cousins only does well for noon kickoffs. I read he has his day on a spreadsheet in 15 minute increments (I really hope that isn't true).

Any slight deviation from the norm (prime time games) seems cause him to play like ass.

Read he changed it to 14 minutes and 58.3 seconds so it could seamlessly account for leap years.

Wonder what a 22 minute takeoff delay does to his plan?
Post #: 929
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 9:32:21 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're not trying to acclimate; they're staying on their local cycles/rhythms. I think the theory is that you don't acclimate in a few days anyway, so stick with the sleep schedule the team is attuned to on an ongoing basis. This idea is not unique to this organization.

To stay on their local cycles they of course would keep their body clocks in synch to CST. Which means they start the game at what their body clock thinks is 08:30 a.m. Which means waking up body clock wise at what, 06:00 a.m.? 05:30? Noonish local time.

And to get say 7 hours of sleep in, they go to bed at 11:00 p.m. CST or 5:00 a.m. local time.

All that's doable depending on some things, but the problem is the hitting starts when their body thinks it's time to get out of bed.

Saints meanwhile, if they are really across the pond, have 5-6 days to acclimate which is more than 'a few days' and right in line with synching them up for the London afternoon kickoff.

I suppose the teams consider the following week, which on the surface would mean the Vikings have the advantage. Mainly due to scheduling activities at a more normal time during the week. If the Saints got all their prep in, by Sunday it shouldn't matter.

So that seals it. You and so many others on this board are so much smarter than the team's health guys, Donatell, KOC, Kwesi, etc. I'm in awe.

Why don't you answer the issue(s) I presented instead of falling back to a dumbass remark? My guess is you most assuredly would if you could.

And the Saints took a different approach. Contrary to what you mistakenly said, their body clocks will be in synch with the mid-afternoon local kickoff time. Are they stupid?

It's not my plan, it's the plan by the medical staff of the Vikings. KOC mentioned that the overall philosophy is to maintain body rhythms from home, and that the medical staff will detail the plan with the media this week, so you can listen to that. And I think that your point about less disruption overall is the germane point.

My dumbass remark lumped you in with the overall impatience on this board with the new regime and the players. People have already called for Donatell's head because he's an idiot and talked about benching Kirk because there are apparently so many better options available. It's ludicrous and not at all interesting or edifying. None of what they're doing may work out, but can't we let it play out a little before concluding that all is lost?

I’ve been on this board long enough to post from all compass points … including the optimistic / hopeful side … where I was greatly annoyed with the type of position that I find myself in now … negative, unsure, impatient, quick to judge. And annoyed with posts that IMO are poorly reasoned, both negative and positive … but yes, especially with positive posts that I feel are ludicrous and not at all interesting or edifying.

And arguing that posters are less smart than ‘the experts’ … that doesn’t fly either. One, even a Bills fan (ie fan of an obviously good team) has every right to complain and second guess and slam his team’s ‘experts’, much less the fans of mediocre or worse teams … its what fans do and the league profits bazillions from from this emotional entitlement; two, experts can be very unsuccessful experts … and very deserving of criticism … any losing coach or GM got their position with expectations of success … amazingly few get there.

The experts told us how Ponder was the most NFL ready qb in the draft. I think it's quite ok to question them no matter what side of an issue you reside.
Post #: 930
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 9:38:58 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You mean the 99% of coaches, GMs, etc. who were fired for poor performance and bad decisions? Those experts?

And why would the "team's health guys, Donatell, KOC, Kwesi" know about much about circadian rhythm? As for KOC, talking to a couple of players who may have adapted different than the norm or slept odd or different hours (if they can remember) sounds amateurish at best.

Since they now don't have the luxury of adapting naturally, they might simply stay up the day of landing then going to sleep at the normal London time. That's the quick and easy way to help get into the swing of things. Repeat that on the next day. But that runs counter to bohumm saying they will try to stay on CST.
Post #: 931
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 10:11:44 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

You mean the 99% of coaches, GMs, etc. who were fired for poor performance and bad decisions? Those experts?

And why would the "team's health guys, Donatell, KOC, Kwesi" know about much about circadian rhythm? As for KOC, talking to a couple of players who may have adapted different than the norm or slept odd or different hours (if they can remember) sounds amateurish at best.

Since they now don't have the luxury of adapting naturally, they might simply stay up the day of landing then going to sleep at the normal London time. That's the quick and easy way to help get into the swing of things. Repeat that on the next day. But that runs counter to bohumm saying they will try to stay on CST.

I know ... it was a ramble. Even my 'In short, ...' posts are sagas.

The KOC consulting with players thing ... it sounds amateurish but I doubt it factored heavily into the overall strategy.

It was probably more about Collaborator Kevin doing his thing. Taking notes, shaking his head in agreement, then completely deferring to the medical staff.

Kwesi on the other hand, I bet his iPhone is chock full of Circadian Rhythm apps.
Post #: 932
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 1:20:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

I know ... it was a ramble. Even my 'In short, ...' posts are sagas.

The KOC consulting with players thing ... it sounds amateurish but I doubt it factored heavily into the overall strategy.

It was probably more about Collaborator Kevin doing his thing. Taking notes, shaking his head in agreement, then completely deferring to the medical staff.

Kwesi on the other hand, I bet his iPhone is chock full of Circadian Rhythm apps.

Yeah, the medical staff that deals with ligaments, concussions, and the like.

LOL with Kwesi and those apps. Or he could say, heck with the apps I'm going with my gut. Flown west coast to Asia two to three times, once to attend a collaboration fair.

Oh that's west? Doh!
Post #: 933
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 3:03:38 PM   
Steve Lentz

#Saints QB Jameis Winston was listed as DNP on Wednesday’s official injury report. Winston told reporters that sitting out today’s practice wasn’t his decision, but stated, “it’s part of the plan.”
The #Saints have an early Sunday morning matchup (9:30am EST) in London against the #Vikings, so this is definitely a situation to monitor. Andy Dalton would likely be the starter if Winston is unable to go.
#LetsBeFrank

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 934
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 4:07:49 PM   
Phil Riewer

Room for Improvement:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2h
[updated] Minnesota drafted defensive players in the first five rounds. Here's their defense snaps through 3 weeks:
R1 - S Lewis Cine: 1 snaps / 196 snaps
R2 - CB Andrew Booth: 0 snaps
R3 - LB Brian Asamoah: 0 snaps
R4 - CB Akayleb Evans: 27 snaps
R5 - DT Esezi Otomewo: 0 snaps

Post #: 935
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 5:01:31 PM   
marty

I am not saying officials have anything to do with it, just noticing the underdogs did quite well last week, lots of surprises.

Hopefully this is a better week for favorites, or at least for ONE 2 1/2 point favorite.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 936
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 5:13:52 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Room for Improvement:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2h
[updated] Minnesota drafted defensive players in the first five rounds. Here's their defense snaps through 3 weeks:
R1 - S Lewis Cine: 1 snaps / 196 snaps
R2 - CB Andrew Booth: 0 snaps
R3 - LB Brian Asamoah: 0 snaps
R4 - CB Akayleb Evans: 27 snaps
R5 - DT Esezi Otomewo: 0 snaps

It almost literally can't be worse.

That Kwesi sold super low just to get a guy that can't get on the field is very worrisome.
Post #: 937
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 6:37:38 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I can’t judge drafted player that don’t play..

I can judge a draft that has no impact or starting players as a bust in the making..

When you look at talent we passed on, that is having some eff, you just have to shake your head and go.. meh.. same old same old..

After 50+ years, my disgust has found its floor..

2009 Favrey was just as bad, if not worse than Les Steckle.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 938
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 7:25:59 PM   
bohumm

Never said "experts" couldn't be wrong; in fact, I explicitly said they might be. But two or three weeks into the season is not a sufficient sample size to validate or refute an approach taken by people who have a lot of experience and insight, as well as a tremendous personal stake in the success of the team. These guys are smart and have a more vast knowledge base about their area than any of us do, and they have some basis for taking the course of action they've selected. Of course they could be wrong. But why not let it play out a bit before the sweeping conclusion that their idiots who should be fired?

And the health/medical/performance personnel on the Vikings who helped determine the approach to travel to and from the game have done loads of work and consulted people whose entire career is devoted to the areas affected, if not international travel's impact on performance itself. And a course of action was settled on and that will play out over the next few days. The Saints did similar work and chose a different approach. But the Vikings are idiots because they're not doing what this or that poster on this board thinks we should do.

I agree completely with Tom that relentlessly positive or negative posting, usually with no or very little basis that is articulated with anything like sound reasoning, is insipid and boring. It is in great supply in here as this season has started. Having concerns is one thing, and many of us have some or many. Ranting and drawing conclusions at this phase tells more about the poster than the posted.
Post #: 939
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 8:03:31 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Never said "experts" couldn't be wrong; in fact, I explicitly said they might be. But two or three weeks into the season is not a sufficient sample size to validate or refute an approach taken by people who have a lot of experience and insight, as well as a tremendous personal stake in the success of the team. These guys are smart and have a more vast knowledge base about their area than any of us do, and they have some basis for taking the course of action they've selected. Of course they could be wrong. But why not let it play out a bit before the sweeping conclusion that their idiots who should be fired?

And the health/medical/performance personnel on the Vikings who helped determine the approach to travel to and from the game have done loads of work and consulted people whose entire career is devoted to the areas affected, if not international travel's impact on performance itself. And a course of action was settled on and that will play out over the next few days. The Saints did similar work and chose a different approach. But the Vikings are idiots because they're not doing what this or that poster on this board thinks we should do.

I agree completely with Tom that relentlessly positive or negative posting, usually with no or very little basis that is articulated with anything like sound reasoning, is insipid and boring. It is in great supply in here as this season has started. Having concerns is one thing, and many of us have some or many. Ranting and drawing conclusions at this phase tells more about the poster than the posted.

Since you are in the know, did all they say all the things you proclaim?

Or was the expanded "health/medical/performance personnel on the Vikings who helped determine the approach to travel to and from the game..." just a shallow, made-up CYA?

If not, don't you question who they consulted, what their credentials of an "entire career" are, and how accurate they have been (assuming they have done NFL projections before)?

Do tell! Is Sean Payton an idiot over "I've never traveled there" KOC?

I'm curious because I've traveled across the pond (in this case, the Atlantic) more times than I can remember. Sometimes we were not restricted to commercial time slots. For the rest, Google North Atlantic Tracks. Once 'there', we sometimes went right into flight ops. Sometimes we got up early to plan. Sometimes it was as a tourist.

So, great wealth of Vikings travel plans, let's hear the nuts and bolts.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 9/28/2022 8:14:38 PM >
Post #: 940
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 8:04:49 PM   
Bill Johanesen

As an aside, if the board bothers you so much based on your posts for two weeks... why are you here? Take a sabbatical. You'll be welcomed in 2023.
Post #: 941
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 9:54:27 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

Or was the expanded "health/medical/performance personnel on the Vikings who helped determine the approach to travel to and from the game..." just a shallow, made-up CYA?

If not, don't you question who they consulted, what their credentials of an "entire career" are, and how accurate they have been (assuming they have done NFL projections before)?

I'm curious because I've traveled across the pond (in this case, the Atlantic) more times than I can remember. Sometimes we were not restricted to commercial time slots. For the rest, Google North Atlantic Tracks. Once 'there', we sometimes went right into flight ops. Sometimes we got up early to plan. Sometimes it was as a tourist.

KOC said it at a presser.

Tyler Williams is the health/performance poohbah, and I don't have any reason to question his sources nor do I think he is infallible.

Sean Payton is not involved in this game.

Why would I know the details?
Post #: 942
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 9:55:13 PM   
bohumm

quote:

As an aside, if the board bothers you so much based on your posts for two weeks... why are you here? Take a sabbatical. You'll be welcomed in 2023.

Thanks, I may take you up on that.
Post #: 943
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/28/2022 10:03:25 PM   
marty

< Message edited by marty -- 9/28/2022 10:31:34 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 944
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 8:09:47 AM   
Bill Jandro

Speaking of so called "experts"

NFL
MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Why NBC's Chris Simms is getting roasted after Vikings release quarterback Kellen Mond
Author Photo
Joe Rivera
08-30-2022

6 min read
Kellen-Mond-010322-GETTY-FTR
Chris Simms may want to avoid Twitter today.

The new Vikings regime featuring GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and head coach Kevin O'Connell is already putting its stamp on the team. That featured one somewhat surprising cut on Tuesday.

According to reports, Minnesota has decided to move on from quarterback Kellen Mond, waiving him a little over a year after the team selected him No. 66 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.

MORE: QB Rankings | RB Rankings | WR Rankings | Buy NFL tickets

Mond, who was seen by some as a starter in waiting, reportedly had a very bad camp, which featured the same accuracy issues that haunted him in college.

The move probably surprises former NFL QB and current NBC analyst Chris Simms, who has gained notoriety for his annual pre-draft positional rankings. In 2021, Simms was extremely high on Mond, putting him fourth in the class, behind Zach Wilson, Trevor Lawrence and Mac Jones, and ahead of Justin Fields.

Of course, the not-so-adoring Twitter public smelled blood in the water and roasted Simms for his previous take:

Here's a snapshot of Simms' scouting report on Mond from 2021:

It's a machine throwing the ball like Mac Jones. It's a machine. It's a machine. I don't understand why there is no talk about this guy. …

I don't know what there's not to see. First off, everybody pays attention to wins and stats — this guy lost one game in the SEC to Alabama. They won every other game the whole year. He threw 19 touchdown passes and three (interceptions).

As a pure thrower, consistency, control of the ball, all of those things, his arm is like Mac Jones. It is. And his arm is more powerful than Mac Jones. He has got an unbelievable release, he has great command of the ball. As a pure consistent thrower, he's better than Trevor Lawrence.

Further, Simms' 2021 quarterback rankings had Mond placed at No. 37, ahead of Fields, Trey Lance and Case Keenum. Mond would play three total regular season snaps in 2021.

In Simms' defense, Justin Fields has a particularly bad rookie season, but he is, at least, getting a second year with the team who selected him.

MORE: NFL cuts tracker — Stay ahead of all the latest release news on cutdown day

Coincidentally, the Houston Texans were reportedly hot after Mond in last year's draft, but would settle on taking Davis Mills at No. 67, a pick behind the Texas A&M passer.

Mond wasn't the only 2021 Vikings draft pick to clean out his locker, with third-rounder Chazz Surratt also hitting waivers on Tuesday cutdown day.

There is a world in which Mond clears waivers and latches back on with the Vikings on the practice squad, so the world will anxiously await to see what Simms may have to say next.

For now, Simms may want to lie low for a bit.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/chris-simms-vikings-kellen-mond-release-roasted/ufrlhvwhrg3iy3hjelewtdcn

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 945
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 9:35:47 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

You assume that intelligent people care about the opinions of RANDOs on birdbrains are our biggest cash cow..

Aka

Twitter.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 946
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 9:55:50 AM   
ronhextall

I really wish the talking heads spent more time looking back 2-3 years at previous drafts instead of hyping what they currently think.

GM's and Scouts should have their rankings cataloged by an accounting firm for future review (my guess is something like that does exist but I would like to hear more about it)
Post #: 947
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 10:02:22 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

KOC said it at a presser.

Tyler Williams is the health/performance poohbah, and I don't have any reason to question his sources nor do I think he is infallible.

Sean Payton is not involved in this game.

Why would I know the details?

Tyler Williams. The Executive Director of This and That. It's noted he "...serves on the Lower Extremity Task Force for the NFL Musculoskeletal Community." So we have that going for us, which is nice for traveling across time zones.

Maybe Wilf can hire a 'career' circadian rhythm person or Williams' primary 'source'. Make him the 5th Asst. Head Coach on the staff.
Post #: 948
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 10:06:05 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I really wish the talking heads spent more time looking back 2-3 years at previous drafts instead of hyping what they currently think.

GM's and Scouts should have their rankings cataloged by an accounting firm for future review (my guess is something like that does exist but I would like to hear more about it)

We have an Executive Director/Asst. Head Coach for League-Wide Scouting, Drafting, and Draft Value Chart Rankings.
Post #: 949
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 10:46:06 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Do you see the trick that Charch put in his post?

Just waiting for someone to post Ingrams stats.

Post #: 950
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode