Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/1/2023 9:16:04 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

We scored only 16 points in the 4th qtr....

This was suppose to be a gimme get right game. This team keeps getting worse and not sure if last night was even rock bottom yet.

To paraphrase Herb Brooks...they look worse every day and right now they're playing like it's next week.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 176
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/4/2023 9:43:58 PM   
Steve Lentz

Ant takes over down the stretch.
13 in the 4th !!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 177
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/5/2023 7:52:29 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Garza put the team on his back in the first half then handed it off to Ant in the second

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/5/2023 8:05:32 AM >
Post #: 178
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/5/2023 8:10:23 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Best moment of the night was Garza’s wide grin after hitting an open three. Having some fun while making a contribution.

The bench seemed to be enjoying Garza’s night too…except Naz Reid. When the camera cut to him he just had a blank, glum stare . The camera probably just caught him at a bad time, but still funny.

Nice to get back to back wins against division teams.The west is tough this year…in a different way than usual. Nobody is running away with it, there aren’t two or three unbeatable teams at the top. But everyone except for two teams, Houston and SA are in it. It’s a big jumble.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/5/2023 8:13:54 AM >
Post #: 179
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/5/2023 11:12:09 AM   
David Levine

The Timberwolves certainly knew what they wanted to do defensively: slow down Lillard.

To accomplish this, Finch had two of McDaniels, Prince and Anderson on the floor to check him, with Gobert holding down the fort in the paint, so that Minnesota could be much more switch heavy. After watching Russell give minimal effort when he got switched onto Blazers center Jusuf Nurkić in the paint, Finch benched his starting point guard for the rest of the night. He opted to roll out a lineup of Edwards, Rivers, Prince, Anderson and Gobert to maximize the team’s defensive flexibility while also utilizing four vets who play very well off of Edwards to bring a clear hierarchy to the offense.

----------

“Really controlled the paint. It’s great when we get him to a spot where he’s the low man and he’s swallowing up the rim, and he was able to do that tonight,” Finch said postgame. “That can only be done if everyone can go out there and guard and handle their business elsewhere, and those guys did that. Ball pressure was great, switches were good, gaps were great.”

Therein lies why Finch went away from Russell. He didn’t have confidence that Russell could play solid enough on-ball defense to make the scheme work, so he closed with Rivers.

www.canishoopus.com/2023/1/5/23540173/wolves-113-blazers-106-minnesotas-vets-shine-through-taurean-prince-injury-anthony-edwards-nba
Post #: 180
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/5/2023 11:12:21 AM   
David Levine

More:

After Lillard drew plenty of fouls in a switch-heavy defense, Finch reverted to the strategy he used in Monday’s win over the Denver Nuggets. Anderson guarded Nurkić while Gobert roamed as a free safety low man on the back line of the defense. When Nurkić would come to set a screen for Lillard, Minnesota showed hard and brought two to the ball to get it out of Lillard’s hands.

Simply put, Gobert dominated the paint defensively down the stretch. In the fourth quarter, the three-time Defensive Player of the Year collected five defensive rebounds, blocked two shots, and helped hold the Blazers to shoot just 4/11 (36.4%) in the paint.

Although it’s a small sample size, this defense (similar to last year’s high wall, in a way) maximizes Gobert’s defensive impact with the Wolves better than any other scheme Finch has deployed so far this season. It unlocks Gobert more as a playmaker while also keeping him near the rim to fight on the glass for rebounds. It also helps wings stay attached to the corners, which works to prevent catch-and-shoot opportunities.

But when offenses do get those catch-and-shoot looks, the Wolves wings can x-out with their close-outs, just like they did last year.

“It’s dope because most of the time, like last year, we like, ‘We got to rotate. Low man, X out.’ Now, we just like we just got to X out because we know he’s the low man. He’s got the rim,” Edwards told Canis Hoopus in the locker room. “So, it’s kind of fun to have him out there, for real, especially when he’s playing at his best.”
Post #: 181
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/5/2023 5:21:55 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

More:

After Lillard drew plenty of fouls in a switch-heavy defense, Finch reverted to the strategy he used in Monday’s win over the Denver Nuggets. Anderson guarded Nurkić while Gobert roamed as a free safety low man on the back line of the defense. When Nurkić would come to set a screen for Lillard, Minnesota showed hard and brought two to the ball to get it out of Lillard’s hands.

Simply put, Gobert dominated the paint defensively down the stretch. In the fourth quarter, the three-time Defensive Player of the Year collected five defensive rebounds, blocked two shots, and helped hold the Blazers to shoot just 4/11 (36.4%) in the paint.

Although it’s a small sample size, this defense (similar to last year’s high wall, in a way) maximizes Gobert’s defensive impact with the Wolves better than any other scheme Finch has deployed so far this season. It unlocks Gobert more as a playmaker while also keeping him near the rim to fight on the glass for rebounds. It also helps wings stay attached to the corners, which works to prevent catch-and-shoot opportunities.

But when offenses do get those catch-and-shoot looks, the Wolves wings can x-out with their close-outs, just like they did last year.

“It’s dope because most of the time, like last year, we like, ‘We got to rotate. Low man, X out.’ Now, we just like we just got to X out because we know he’s the low man. He’s got the rim,” Edwards told Canis Hoopus in the locker room. “So, it’s kind of fun to have him out there, for real, especially when he’s playing at his best.”

Looked very efficient last night. Hope it is consistently.
Trade Russell!

Post #: 182
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/6/2023 10:44:54 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Solid analysis (last two posts). Example of why I think Finch may be the best coach the Wolves have had, Flip included. He gets things figured out. Isn't afraid to make changes. And most importantly gets the players to buy in. That's important because the best X & O strategist is useless if the players don't follow it.
Post #: 183
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/6/2023 3:54:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Solid analysis (last two posts). Example of why I think Finch may be the best coach the Wolves have had, Flip included. He gets things figured out. Isn't afraid to make changes. And most importantly gets the players to buy in. That's important because the best X & O strategist is useless if the players don't follow it.

It's a low bar.

Flip really was just an average coach at best. He rode KG's coattails as long as he could here and then tanked a Championship Detroit team.

Mussleman did the most with the least, but I don't think his coaching style would've translated to more talented teams.

Best Wolves coach is still probably Adelman, but even then we never got 100% of his because of his wife's illness.

Finch is probably #2 with a pretty easy chance of taking the Top spot.
Post #: 184
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/6/2023 6:01:51 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

It's a low bar.

Flip really was just an average coach at best. He rode KG's coattails as long as he could here and then tanked a Championship Detroit team.

Mussleman did the most with the least, but I don't think his coaching style would've translated to more talented teams.

Best Wolves coach is still probably Adelman, but even then we never got 100% of his because of his wife's illness.

Finch is probably #2 with a pretty easy chance of taking the Top spot.

I do agree on Adelman. He got the most out of what he had, which wasn’t much.

I guess Casey was good too but they didn’t give him much of a chance here.

Everyone else? Yuck.
Post #: 185
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/6/2023 10:51:16 PM   
JT2

Way too early to rank Finch. I'm biased against him, but I do think he deserves a chance to make something out of this less than favorable situation.

I remember when he was with the Rockets and he complained about how difficult it was to teach his Guards to throw a lob above the rim to (Howard?) his Big. A decade later, same problem exists. Maybe it's him.

I would like to see him excel with the handcuffs of this roster. I remain unimpressed with his love for Rivers. But then again, if your coach wants to close with Rivers, how bad is Russell?
Post #: 186
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/7/2023 8:50:37 AM   
wrh

Aways more enjoyable when the Wolvies are playing well. Enjoying some of the analysis here. Intriguing watching ANT's growth. Find myself wondering about some of the player dynamics that may or maynot be changing. ANT becoming leader while KAT is out? How does KAT really feel about that? I hope he can see the positives and accept perhaps a somewhat lessor role. How does DLo's freeagency, inconsistentance, close friendship with KAT play out? How does that impact KAT?

Finally, does DLo really have a future here between his salary and his expectations? Hope Wolves can find an acceptable/good outcome for both parties.
Post #: 187
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/7/2023 9:25:58 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

Aways more enjoyable when the Wolvies are playing well. Enjoying some of the analysis here. Intriguing watching ANT's growth. Find myself wondering about some of the player dynamics that may or maynot be changing. ANT becoming leader while KAT is out? How does KAT really feel about that? I hope he can see the positives and accept perhaps a somewhat lessor role. How does DLo's freeagency, inconsistentance, close friendship with KAT play out? How does that impact KAT?

Finally, does DLo really have a future here between his salary and his expectations? Hope Wolves can find an acceptable/good outcome for both parties.

No. D-Lo has absolutely no future here. The question is whether Connelly can move him. We would really like to preserve that salary slot. Letting him walk after the season isn't going to put us under the cap.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 188
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/7/2023 12:17:18 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

No. D-Lo has absolutely no future here. The question is whether Connelly can move him. We would really like to preserve that salary slot. Letting him walk after the season isn't going to put us under the cap.

Guess I don't understand the "salary slot". The NBA salary/cap structure seems extremely complicated (to me anyway).

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 189
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/7/2023 12:51:50 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Guess I don't understand the "salary slot". The NBA salary/cap structure seems extremely complicated (to me anyway).

It improves the ability to make deals and match salaries. D-Lo walks and the Wolves free up money under the luxury tax threshold, but doesn’t improve their ability to sign players because they're still over the cap. They would prefer to maintain assets.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 1/7/2023 12:52:53 PM >

Post #: 190
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/8/2023 10:45:08 AM   
Karl Juhnke

D’lo is a problem but not as pressing as it once was.

He’s probably unmovable due to his salary. So I said when Finch arrived that his first biggest challenge was to somehow figure out how to get at least a positive contribution out of Russell instead of negative. Because he wasn’t going anywhere any time soon.

I think Finch has done that. The last couple of games were an example. Benched Russell down the stretch for lack of defensive effort, and he responded with a good game after that. If you look at some of the more ‘exotic’ stats like win shares or whatever it shows that Russell has ‘elevated’ to the level of average NBA player. And just the eye test tells you that he plays more sensibly now overall, albeit still with the same occasional patented D’lo brain farts.

So is that worth 30 million? An average but inconsistent player? Absolutely not. But in my opinion he’s at least become a more tolerable problem, until such time in future when we can figure out how to move him.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/8/2023 10:46:16 AM >
Post #: 191
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/8/2023 11:00:46 AM   
David Levine

quote:

He’s probably unmovable due to his salary.

He's a 30M expiring contract.

Definitely movable.
Post #: 192
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/8/2023 1:31:20 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

He’s probably unmovable due to his salary.

He's a 30M expiring contract.

Definitely movable.

Yep. A team looking to get under the cap would love to pick up DLo at the deadline.

Post #: 193
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/11/2023 4:10:38 PM   
David Levine

Britt:

quote:

What’s been working these past four games?

Over the past few games, Finch has deployed all of his good-news crew together on the court, surrounding Gobert with Slo Mo, Prince, McDaniels and Ant. It is a lineup that allows Rudy to patrol the paint while it flies around the perimeter on defense, large and limber enough to switch assignments easily, intelligent and gritty enough to sustain the flow of coverage and intensity.

On offense, it is a lineup tailored for this new, profound Ant – none of his four teammates need the ball to be effective, but all know how to move so defenders must take notice, and know what to do if the ball does find them. Nobody is a great dribbler but all can quickly move the ball and provide easier targets for the teammate who is dribbling.

The sample size is tiny – a miniscule 13 minutes with all five on the court – but the analytics are as eye-popping as the eye test. On offense, 146.2 points scored per 100 possessions. On defense 69.2 points allowed per possession. Net rating: +76.9.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2023/01/halfway-into-the-season-and-the-wolves-record-is-the-same-as-last-year-but-this-is-not-last-years-wolves/
Post #: 194
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/11/2023 10:20:08 PM   
Karl Juhnke

WTF is it with the Wolves and Detroit? That was terrible.
Post #: 195
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/12/2023 6:01:00 PM   
Bill Jandro

Just when it looked like we turned the corner

Post #: 196
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/15/2023 8:38:07 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Nice win. They played some great basketball after Rudy went out. A recurring theme?

Note, I’m not completely anti-Rudy, they’ve made some strides lately in figuring out how to utilize him. But it’s still very much a work in process.
Post #: 197
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/15/2023 9:37:36 AM   
Bill Jandro

Couple wins in a row and were now in 7th place.

The West looks extremely soft this year.

Post #: 198
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/15/2023 2:22:52 PM   
Steve Lentz

One of the most fun games to watch in some time.
Team was playing fast and playing defense!!!

Post #: 199
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 1/15/2023 9:36:49 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Naz is starting to learn what Towns learned. When a physical big man is determined to drive to the hoop from the top of the arc, and he has just enough smarts and athletic ability to be a little elusive and not barrel into a stationary defender, there's not a damn thing the defense can do about it.
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode