Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 1/28/2018 3:08:39 PM   
twinsfan

Wow....a little too optimistic for my tastes. Thought for sure he'd end it with more negativity. Like "I'm done with this franchise" or something. Still, it was solid work.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2051
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/14/2018 12:23:40 PM   
Lynn G.

Note to the local Twin Cities peeps here. This Sunday the place to be is Red Cow on 50th (3624 W 50th St, Minneapolis, MN 55410) not only because are they serving their award winning burgers and that "to-die-for" appetizer that combines puffcorn with caramel and bacon, AND their huge array of craft beers - - - but also because a percentage of every dime you spend will go to Books on Wings non-profit.

This is the non-profit I started in 2013 and it is growing (albeit slowly) into a really wonderful operation with a mission of helping close the achievement gap in MN. We remain all-volunteer and we work out of our homes, so about 95% of all money we raise goes directly to the purchase of books for the students we serve.

Red Cow is open for brunch, and then all day and evening - so give it some thought. I'll be there for dinner!

http://redcowmn.com/

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 2052
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/4/2018 11:51:14 AM   
Lynn G.

Happy birthday Art!

No football to spend the day enjoying, but plenty of football TALK just the same. I hope you're treated like a king at home for the day.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 2053
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/5/2018 5:32:59 PM   
Bill Jandro

Anybody visited the Grand Canyon lately?

Trying to plan a family vacation. We want to go whitewater rafting but all the prices I've seen seem to be in Yen.

Wanted to hike down and view the Havasupai Falls but getting a reservation for that is nearly impossible.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2054
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/6/2018 9:45:27 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Trying to plan a family vacation. We want to go whitewater rafting but all the prices I've seen seem to be in Yen.

Wanted to hike down and view the Havasupai Falls but getting a reservation for that is nearly impossible.

Don't know about the specifics at this point in time, but around ten years ago the lead time for reservations for these kind of activities is measured in years and months.
Post #: 2055
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/6/2018 9:58:12 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Hi Bill,
I live in the Grand Canyon Area just outside of Flagstaff. I have been thinking about visiting the Havasupai Falls area myself if I ever get myself in good enough shape to survive the hike.
My Brother runs the water treatment plant in the gateway town to the Canyon called Tusayan and he rents a Double wide trailer that he has modified so much it has to be seen to be believed.
Super nice, rustic, and antique. If you do come down here lets grab a meal or something and my wife and I might do a little tour guiding for you.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2056
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/14/2018 6:28:41 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Hi Bill,
I live in the Grand Canyon Area just outside of Flagstaff. I have been thinking about visiting the Havasupai Falls area myself if I ever get myself in good enough shape to survive the hike.
My Brother runs the water treatment plant in the gateway town to the Canyon called Tusayan and he rents a Double wide trailer that he has modified so much it has to be seen to be believed.
Super nice, rustic, and antique. If you do come down here lets grab a meal or something and my wife and I might do a little tour guiding for you.

Appreciate the offer.

Looks like we're postponing the trip for now due to lack of solid planning on my part.

Post #: 2057
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/14/2018 7:18:24 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Hi Bill,

I'm guessing he owns the trailer.
Post #: 2058
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/14/2018 7:22:48 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Hi Bill,

Does he rent it out to tourists or does he rent it and live there?

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 3/14/2018 7:24:20 PM >

Post #: 2059
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/14/2018 8:49:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi Bill,

Does he rent it out to tourists or does he rent it and live there?

Rents it out to Tourists.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2060
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/23/2018 9:44:17 AM   
Todd M

Glad you liked the burger, David.

Seeing how food's been a theme, and I just had something so amazing and surprising I wanted to pop something in quick.

Garlic soup.

I was skeptical but decided to go for it.

It has 27!!! roasted garlic cloves and 16!!! regular cloves all done up in a soup that makes you pause and say - really! I did not expect that!!!

Made it yesterday and am making it again today. Requests. It doesn't go that far...but it's kind of insane to work 86 bulbs for a double batch lol.

Here's the recipe:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-garlic-soup-with-parmesan-cheese-100669

Now I wing it a bit ma uking soup...and am pretty good at it. Didn't use' lemon and went with gouda cheese...(and vegi stock) it's the base that matters and if you're any good at making soup you should try it.
Post #: 2061
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/23/2018 11:01:30 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Seeing how food's been a theme, and I just had something so amazing and surprising I wanted to pop something in quick.

Garlic soup.

It has 27!!! roasted garlic cloves and 16!!! regular cloves all done up in a soup that makes you pause and say - really! I did not expect that!!!

Made it yesterday and am making it again today. Requests. It doesn't go that far...but it's kind of insane to work 86 bulbs for a double batch lol.

Here's the recipe:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-garlic-soup-with-parmesan-cheese-100669

Now I wing it a bit ma uking soup...and am pretty good at it. Didn't use' lemon and went with gouda cheese...(and vegi stock) it's the base that matters and if you're any good at making soup you should try it.

I love Garlic, but that may be too garlic even for me.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2062
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 3/23/2018 11:10:33 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Garlic soup.

Here's the recipe:

Some places have this appetizer, that is essentially an entire unpeeled garlic bulb, roasted, with various bready things. You just break off a clove, squeeze it until it breaks through the skin, smear it on the bready things like peanut butter, and enjoy.
Post #: 2063
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/5/2018 2:29:01 PM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

Sergio just went "Tin Cup" at the Masters.

A 13 on a Par 5.
Post #: 2064
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 4/5/2018 2:39:24 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Garlic soup.

Here's the recipe:

Some places have this appetizer, that is essentially an entire unpeeled garlic bulb, roasted, with various bready things. You just break off a clove, squeeze it until it breaks through the skin, smear it on the bready things like peanut butter, and enjoy.

Just about the easiest thing you can make at home too:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/how-to-roast-garlic-303247
Post #: 2065
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/10/2018 9:35:34 PM   
David F.

Active Users: There are 1 members and 113 guests.
Most users ever online was 64918 at 7/10/2017 2:26:22 AM.
David F.

HELLO!!! hello... hello... hello... hello... hello... hello...

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2066
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/16/2018 8:19:02 AM   
Todd M

It's clearly yanny.

Starts definitively with a y sound and finished with an eeeeee sound.

If you hear laurel...you are broken.
(upon initial look it looks like more people gear laurel)

I case you aren't up on the buzz...

https://www.popsci.com/yanny-laurel-scientific-evidence
Post #: 2067
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/16/2018 9:27:31 AM   
David F.

quote:

It's clearly yanny.

Starts definitively with a y sound and finished with an eeeeee sound.

If you hear laurel...you are broken.
(upon initial look it looks like more people gear laurel)

I case you aren't up on the buzz...

https://www.popsci.com/yanny-laurel-scientific-evidence

I hear laurel. Someone tweeted an explanation to this phenomenon that says it depends on how high of frequencies the listener's ears are able to pick up. I don't know enough to agree or disagree but it seems to make sense.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2068
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/16/2018 9:41:50 AM   
Lynn G.

I very clearly heard laurel.

Post #: 2069
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/16/2018 9:56:18 AM   
McMurfy

Laurel

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 2070
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/16/2018 10:17:17 AM   
David Levine

I very clearly hear Laurel. I saw where someone slowed it way down and then I heard Yanny.
Post #: 2071
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/16/2018 11:00:28 AM   
thebigo

I heard Laurel. Then I switched earbuds/ears and heard Yanny.
Post #: 2072
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/16/2018 11:14:21 AM   
bgdavis

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I very clearly hear Laurel. I saw where someone slowed it way down and then I heard Yanny.

Exact same thing for me. At normal speed I clearly hear Laurel, but at a slower speed it begins to sound like Yanny.

I'm also wondering if the difference is due to the fact each of us has a slightly different hearing range? The normal human hearing range is 20hz to 20khz, but not everyone can hear that exact range. By age 40, most men start to suffer some loss of hearing in the high range. As a trophy of attending some loud concerts in my earlier years, I also have a slight gap somewhere in the mid-range that I have difficulty hearing as clearly, which ironically aligns very closely with the pitch of my wife's voice. In a crowded location, I can make out other people nearby, but she can be talking right in front of and I can barely understand her, which really annoys her. Not sure if that would affect this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had some effect on whether I hear Laurel vs. Yanny.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 2073
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/16/2018 2:11:56 PM   
bgdavis

Found this link that helps illustrate the differences at different speeds and pitch: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html?

With the slider in the middle, or anywhere to right it clearly sounds like "Laurel" to me.
With the slider 3 or 4 ticks from the left, it sounds like "Loro"
With the slider 2 ticks from the left, it sounds like "Laurie"
With the slider 1 tick from the left, it sounds like "Yary"
With the slider all the way left, it sounds like "Yanni" or "Yary" depending on my volume setting.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 2074
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 6/12/2018 11:30:45 AM   
kgdabom

My apologies to JT2 but by wife Lyn and I just had a baby girl Samantha born on 6/11/18 at 10:04 AM. She was a bit early, but her and her Mom are doing well. I will try to figure out how to post a pic here.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2075
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode