Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 8:58:29 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

It is really, really hard to cheer for a team that has Kessler on it .........

Man, we think a lot alike
I've choked on my own vomit when he plays for USA teams, gotta do it then and have had to do it this post-season as well.
Highly unlikable jackwagon.
Post #: 2951
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 8:59:57 PM   
SoMnFan

But he definitely changes games.
Has for quite awhile.
Plays a heavy, nasty game.
Post #: 2952
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 9:55:55 PM   
SoMnFan

Stars have signed Ben Bishop to a 6-year, $29.5 mil contract, three days after acquiring him from the Kings.
Post #: 2953
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 10:47:32 PM   
SoMnFan

2-2 late
Yup, this things dead-even
Preds will get more chances, but Ducks are proven scorers
Rinne will have to be the difference maker for the Preds.
Post #: 2954
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 11:21:44 PM   
SoMnFan

Neal wins Game One in OT for the Preds
(speaking of guys I can't stand pulling for ....)
Post #: 2955
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/13/2017 2:36:54 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Ovie can play third line for me any day.

It's MN. We'd put him on the PK.
Post #: 2956
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/13/2017 8:23:05 PM   
SoMnFan

Ottawa playing very well in Pittsburgh
Up 1-0 after 2
Post #: 2957
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/13/2017 9:00:05 PM   
SoMnFan

And of course
Malkin ties it late

Going up would have made life easier for Ottawa
Of course that cant happen
Post #: 2958
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/13/2017 9:02:01 PM   
SoMnFan

Chance of Penguins winning in OT?

99.99999999999999999999999999999999994%
Post #: 2959
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/13/2017 9:24:04 PM   
SoMnFan

It worked !!!!!!!!

2-1 OT winner winner chicken dinner
Bobby Ryan.
Post #: 2960
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/16/2017 12:31:12 AM   
kevinemmer

Happy B-Day B-Sting!!

Post #: 2961
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/16/2017 2:14:53 PM   
SoMnFan

Sens giving the Pens all they can handle
Loving it.
Very good series
Post #: 2962
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 11:03:54 AM   
SoMnFan

Major life-changing epiphany last night
No bigger Preds lover than me so far this post-season
Boy, that's over.
It's so bad I'm pulling for DUCKS.
A lifelong hate for me, the reason that team came into being, the name, the cartoonish aura, yuck.
But even that I will take, over a bunch of ....
Truck pull loving
Glass banging
Ignorant hicks
Who happened to stumble into a hockey team and a hockey rink.

Think of the areas that will have a Stanley Cup and look at those of US who don't.
I'm pissed now.
An entire base of fans who know little about the game, a total embarrassment of a rink announcer, a group of players who whine and get rewarded.
Yeah, sour grapes, but I turned on em. Hard.
Gibson got abused in there last night and it pissed me off. Can't get a puck past him? That's ok, let's just run him.
Go Ducks. As I vomit a little in my mouth.
Post #: 2963
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 11:05:28 AM   
SoMnFan

Actually, it's time to pull for one ... And even there, I'm choking a little as I go Canadien.
Go Sens!
At least there's some history and knowledge and class up there, comparitively.
This isn't mud bogging.
Post #: 2964
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 11:19:04 AM   
SoMnFan

Pitt missing another couple important parts tonight
HAVE to beat them, now, boys.
Post #: 2965
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 11:24:21 AM   
SoMnFan

Time to attack that Penguin blue line
There's no one left there
Stop trying to win 1-0
One of Malkn/Cindy/Kessel will score in a game no matter what.
Outscore them, now.
Post #: 2966
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 5:09:53 PM   
SoMnFan

Hmmm, just like us. NOT

PITTSBURGH -- To fully comprehend why it was perfectly OK that Pittsburgh Penguins forward Phil Kessel was yelling at teammates, at himself, at anyone who would listen after he returned to the bench after each shift in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals, you need to understand his motives.

Kessel, as much as anybody, knows how he can help his team. He can change the course of the game when the puck is on his stick along the half-wall on the power play. He has a shot that can alter the outcome of a series in the blink of an eye, as he did with his game-winning goal in the third period against the Ottawa Senators on Monday that evened their series at one win each.

"He's a competitive guy," Penguins forward Chris Kunitz (14) says of fiery teammate Phil Kessel, left. "He wants the puck at all times." Don Wright-USA TODAY Sports

He's not going to win games with his backchecking. He's not going to change the outcome of a series with a monster hit. But Kessel has an offensive skill set few people in the world can match, and he needs the puck to deploy it.

It's not because he selfishly wants to pad his stats or make it about himself. It's because he knows that's the way he can best impact a game.

"Phil's [thought] is that if he's not contributing offensively and the team is not winning the game, the team is being cheated of his abilities. And I don't say that in a bad way," said Scott Gordon, who was part of the Toronto Maple Leafs' staff that coached Kessel for three years. "Phil, in his own way, is a really proud guy. I think that, if he's not able to help the team with getting points, maybe he feels like he doesn't make a contribution."

And he's clearly not afraid to express that opinion.

Kessel's emotional outbursts on the bench are nothing new. Those who have coached him or played with him almost expect to see him get heated during the course of a game.

"I'm sure he yelled at me at one point [during Game 2]. He wanted the puck back," said Penguins defenseman Ron Hainsey. "I think. You can't hear him."

And those who know him well probably reacted the same way as teammate Chris Kunitz did when caught on camera sitting next to Kessel on the bench during one of his outbursts -- with a laugh.

It's just Phil being Phil.

"He's a competitive guy," Kunitz said after the win. "He wants the puck at all times. ... He and [Penguins assistant coach Rick Tocchet] have this little spitfire relationship, where they talk back to each other about plays that go on on the ice. It works well. It gets [Kessel] into the game. It gets him to see different areas of the ice. That's one of the [reasons] Phil wants the puck. That's why he's an elite player."

When Gordon saw replays of the heated exchange between Kessel and Penguins center Evgeni Malkin, he immediately assumed it centered on Kessel not getting the puck on the power play. He has witnessed enough of those exchanges and understands exactly why Kessel might be upset when he's not seeing the puck enough on the power play, especially when the Penguins are struggling with the extra skater, as they have in this series. The Penguins' power play has gone 0-for-6 against Ottawa.

"I know when Phil doesn't get the puck on the half-wall on the power play, he gets pretty steamed," Gordon said. "The power play goes through him and nobody else."

But when you're on a team that also includes Sidney Crosby and Malkin and other players who have egos, it leads to differences of opinion. Their healthy egos are part of what makes each of those players great. They believe they can affect a game. They want to make a difference. They have taken turns rising to the occasion this postseason, which is the main reason the Penguins have been able to advance this far even while being hamstrung by multiple injuries.

Those heated moments in Game 2 also gave us a revealing glimpse into how Penguins coach Mike Sullivan runs the team. He wants those players engaged. He likes it when his guys have it out, even if they're caught on camera.

If things get too heated, he's the one who steps in and calms them down. But he'd much prefer that his players be intense and passionate on the bench than be a group of guys who mechanically go through the motions like a bunch of robots.

"We encourage it because I think it helps our game," Sullivan said. "I think progress is made. So we call it a man's argument. That's the way it is. I think lines go back and forth and talk to one another. I think it brings juice to the bench."

Frustrated and animated on the bench, playoff stud Phil Kessel lit a fire under the Penguins and pushed them to a Game 2 victory over the Senators to tie the conference finals at 1.

Perhaps the story would have been different if Pittsburgh had lost Game 2. Maybe there would be concern about the Penguins losing their cool on the bench or becoming unraveled if, say, Senators forward Bobby Ryan had scored the goal -- as he did in overtime of Game 1 -- instead of Kessel. But that's not what happened. Kessel gets the benefit of the doubt because he got testy on the bench and then backed it up at the most important time with his first goal of the series.

It shouldn't be lost on anyone that the only two Pittsburgh players to break through offensively against the Senators so far have been Kessel and Malkin, two of the most emotional players on the ice in Game 2.

This also might have been Crosby's best game in a while, even if his contributions weren't reflected in the box score. The Penguins' stars are fired up, and they're revealing that passion for all to see. For Sullivan, the only drawback might be that the drama is playing out in public view.

"You guys have too many cameras on the bench," he said.
Post #: 2967
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 5:12:59 PM   
SoMnFan

Brett Hull with maybe my favorite between-period rant ever last night.
Took that jackass McClod to the woodshed.
Unfortunately, it didn't result in a Duck win, but McClods stupidity led to the early Duck lead.
Made him look like a well, the fool he is.
Hull .... "until these idiots realize not EVERY hit deserves a fight, you'll have fools costing their teams goals, and wins"
Boll made him look like an idiot. I'm betting everyone in NashvilleTruckTown loved it however.
Post #: 2968
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 5:57:55 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Hey may be right my man but he's on the "top 10 hated" for me.

Illegally won the Dallas hockey team the cup. Ugggghhhhhh.
Post #: 2969
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 7:19:31 PM   
SoMnFan

SENS !!!!! Quickly
Post #: 2970
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 7:35:52 PM   
stfrank

quote:

SENS !!!!! Quickly

They must have read your post earlier today about jumping all over the Pens D.
4-0 already!
Post #: 2971
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 7:36:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

4-0 in an absolute blizz. This pleases me very much~~~ diabolical hands rubbing together.
Post #: 2972
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 8:47:41 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

4-0 in an absolute blizz. This pleases me very much~~~ diabolical hands rubbing together.

hehehehehehehe

me too
Post #: 2973
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/17/2017 8:49:56 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

SENS !!!!! Quickly

They must have read your post earlier today about jumping all over the Pens D.
4-0 already!

Simply no way they should be holding back against what is basically the Pens 4th-thru-10th Dmen.
Attack
Attack
Attack
There should be no free outs. Anyone below the face off dots gets blown up, no ifs and or buts. Don't let 'em breathe.
F that 1-3-1 stuff, you are just as fast and just as good as they are right now.
They've got maybe 2/3 of their roster, tops.
Post #: 2974
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/18/2017 12:27:29 PM   
Corleone

quote:

Major life-changing epiphany last night
No bigger Preds lover than me so far this post-season
Boy, that's over.
It's so bad I'm pulling for DUCKS.
A lifelong hate for me, the reason that team came into being, the name, the cartoonish aura, yuck.
But even that I will take, over a bunch of ....
Truck pull loving
Glass banging
Ignorant hicks
Who happened to stumble into a hockey team and a hockey rink.

Think of the areas that will have a Stanley Cup and look at those of US who don't.
I'm pissed now.
An entire base of fans who know little about the game, a total embarrassment of a rink announcer, a group of players who whine and get rewarded.
Yeah, sour grapes, but I turned on em. Hard.
Gibson got abused in there last night and it pissed me off. Can't get a puck past him? That's ok, let's just run him.
Go Ducks. As I vomit a little in my mouth.

Nailed.

Total
System
Failure
Post #: 2975
Page:   <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode