Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

General Gopher Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> General Gopher Talk Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General Gopher Talk - 7/14/2007 10:52:56 PM   
Toby Stumbo

Discuss all other Gopher Topics here.
Post #: 1
RE: General Gopher Talk - 2/7/2008 2:26:58 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Found this interesting from Squids column ....

For the 2006-07 fiscal year, the University of Minnesota athletic department finished in the red to the tune of $6.04 million because of payments to fired coaches Dan Monson and Glen Mason and other payments connected with the coaching changes. The only sports to make money were football ($9.09 million), men's basketball ($6.21 million) and men's hockey ($4.86 million).
Those sports finishing in the red were: baseball ($780,717); women's basketball ($860,118); men's ($332,486) and women's golf ($284,640); men's (407,421) and women's ($627,767) gymnastics; women's hockey ($779,439); rowing ($846,563); women's soccer ($618,531); softball ($629,926); men's ($670,714) and women's swimming ($558,816); men's ($307,438) and women's tennis ($400,585); men's ($787,254) and women's track and field ($855,531); volleyball ($799,986) and wrestling ($624,702).
Post #: 2
RE: General Gopher Talk - 5/15/2009 9:51:31 AM   
Jim Frenette

Instead of opening a new thread for Gopher baseball, I'll just post this here.

Congratulations to John Anderson for getting his 1000 win. Huge accomplishment.

The way the Gophers are playing, they should make it to the NCAA easy. Now if only they don't stick them with all of the southern teams that have been playing weeks before the Gophers were able to.

Fargo
Post #: 3
RE: General Gopher Talk - 5/16/2009 8:19:52 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Congrats Coach Anderson.
Thats a lotta wins.
Seems he has been here forever, and the Gophers are usually very competitive.
Solid, quality program that has turned out some quality players and people.
Post #: 4
RE: General Gopher Talk - 5/16/2009 8:24:31 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

http://www.startribune.com/local/45058157.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKUnciaec8O7EyUr

I'm shocked this is progressing.
Had no idea they were the "Flickertails" at one time.
Gophers vs Flickertails. Scaaaaaaary.
Post #: 5
RE: General Gopher Talk - 5/19/2009 6:14:37 PM   
DMueller

American Indian backers of the nickname, who have been campaigning on the reservations to garner support for it, asked the Board of Higher Education before Thursday's vote to back the nickname and logo. Many residents of both reservations take pride in "Fighting Sioux," they said.

Where is the problem?
Post #: 6
RE: General Gopher Talk - 5/24/2009 2:39:42 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Gophers finish second in Big 10 tourney.
Qualified for NCAAs
Another good season.
Eric Decker, what an athlete ... 52 games .332 ave. .482 slugging pct. .394 on-base pct.
Post #: 7
RE: General Gopher Talk - 5/25/2009 12:36:27 PM   
Jim Frenette

Minn was second in the conference behind Ohio St and second in the conference tournament behind Indiana. Both those teams were given #3 seeds in the NCAA and Minn got a #2. That shows that the NCAA did their job correctly since the Gophers did have a higher RPI.

Good Luck to them. It would be great to see them in Omaha once again

Fargo
Post #: 8
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/10/2009 11:31:46 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=620836

Congrats Dereck, and welcome to the Twins organization!
4th rd pick today in baseball's amateur draft.
Maybe Decker later?
Post #: 9
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/17/2009 3:04:43 PM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/48205597.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl

TCF Stadium looking in game shape Jim Mone, Associated Press
TCF Bank Stadium
The Gophers' new football stadium is looking close to game-shape.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/24/2009 5:53:07 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

The University of Minnesota's new football stadium is officially dry -- as are all other sports venues on campus.

Any thoughts on this? Have there been any big problems at Michigan and Ohio State where there is a precedence?

I'm generally in favor of the decision, although I can understand arguments from the other side. On the negative - will students just stay in the tailgating lots instead of going into the stadium when the game starts? I know this has been a criticism of the students at Wisconsin, who don't make it into the stadium for football games until sometime in the second quarter sometimes because they're partying it up in the tailgating lots.

I'd hate to see the student section of the new Gopher stadium sit empty.

But on the other hand, it's a big statement about curbing underage drinking. No one is under the illusion that it will STOP underage drinking, but if the University wants to make a difference, it usually has to start with a big statement like this. I don't have much patience for adults who complain that they won't get a beer during the games. If you need a beer that much that you can't wait a couple of hours for an after-game party, then you may have a drinking problem. It's not like there won't be plenty of other food and drink choices to add to the full game experience.

And paying seven bucks for a beer is kind of dumb anyway.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority, however. What do the rest of you think?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 11
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/25/2009 8:32:56 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Think I heard we are now the third Big Ten team to go dry (at all events)?
Its really a non-issue for me, but I'm surprised the mucky-mucks are allowing it.
Lots of ad/concession money slipping away in tough economic times.
The new Twins stadium looks to be a shrine to Budweiser, for example.
Here's hoping the security is top-notch ... you won't stop college kids from celebrating before and after, but hopefully the extremely inebriated ones will be kept out of the game. (or penned into a specific area )
Post #: 12
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/25/2009 10:00:10 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Think I heard we are now the third Big Ten team to go dry (at all events)?
Its really a non-issue for me, but I'm surprised the mucky-mucks are allowing it.
Lots of ad/concession money slipping away in tough economic times.
The new Twins stadium looks to be a shrine to Budweiser, for example.
Here's hoping the security is top-notch ... you won't stop college kids from celebrating before and after, but hopefully the extremely inebriated ones will be kept out of the game. (or penned into a specific area )

At least a million a year.

The underage kids will drink before entering the game, the ones that lose out are the Alumni that are buying the expensive seats and boxes. This might hurt the program in the long run, we'll have to wait and see

Fargo
Post #: 13
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/25/2009 1:12:19 PM   
Tim Cady

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12679778?nclick_check=1

I am sure you guys have heard. This is the quote machine, correct Scott?
Post #: 14
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/25/2009 1:16:58 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Yup.
Potulney .... "right place at the right time" 
That happens to good people.
He did that on the ice a lot, too.
Post #: 15
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/25/2009 1:29:28 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Grant will always remain my favorite Gopher of all time 
Post #: 16
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/25/2009 1:38:40 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Grant will always remain my favorite Gopher of all time 

I think he was going to be a non paid assistant before this came around

Fargo
Post #: 17
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/25/2009 1:46:13 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Yep, that's what Tims article stated, Jim.
He now goes in the pool for the Hastings job.
(with a leg up)
Post #: 18
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/13/2009 1:13:41 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Congrats to the Gopher Volleyball Women!
Heading to the Final 4
Post #: 19
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/15/2009 1:45:49 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

The Big Ten Conference will explore the possibility of expansion in the next 12 to 18 months, according to a statement the league will release at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday. There will be no press conference to make the announcement.
The league will announce that expansion is now a front-burner issue, though there are no guarantees a 12th member will be added. The Big Ten last expanded in 1989 with Penn State and hasn't seriously pursued the possibility since 1999, when it had discussions with Notre Dame.
Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno has advocated expansion and the need to hold a Big Ten championship game in football. Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez told the schools athletic board Friday that league commissioner Jim Delany will be more proactive about adding a 12th member.
"I have a sense [Delany] is going to take this year to really be more aggressive about it," Alvarez told the board. "I just think everybody feels [expansion] is the direction to go, coaches and administrators."

The expansion examination is expected to take 12 to 18 months, at which time a recommendation may or may not be made.
Post #: 20
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/15/2009 3:07:12 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

The Big Ten Conference will explore the possibility of expansion in the next 12 to 18 months, according to a statement the league will release at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday. There will be no press conference to make the announcement.
The league will announce that expansion is now a front-burner issue, though there are no guarantees a 12th member will be added. The Big Ten last expanded in 1989 with Penn State and hasn't seriously pursued the possibility since 1999, when it had discussions with Notre Dame.
Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno has advocated expansion and the need to hold a Big Ten championship game in football. Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez told the schools athletic board Friday that league commissioner Jim Delany will be more proactive about adding a 12th member.
"I have a sense [Delany] is going to take this year to really be more aggressive about it," Alvarez told the board. "I just think everybody feels [expansion] is the direction to go, coaches and administrators."

The expansion examination is expected to take 12 to 18 months, at which time a recommendation may or may not be made.

And my idea for the team they should pursue is Pitt making a natural rivalry for Penn St

Fargo
Post #: 21
RE: General Gopher Talk - 3/21/2010 5:23:35 PM   
Steve Lentz

Congratulations to Jayson Ness on his 6-4 win over Iowa's Dan Dennis for the 133 pound National Championship. Score 4 points in the final 5 seconds for the win.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 22
RE: General Gopher Talk - 10/17/2010 12:01:50 PM   
twinsfan

Gophers volleyball on ESPN 2. I was worried there'd be nothing for me to watch today with no NASCAR.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 23
RE: General Gopher Talk - 10/17/2010 2:01:08 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Gophers volleyball on ESPN 2. I was worried there'd be nothing for me to watch today with no NASCAR.

If it was a beauty pageant, we would have won going away. On the court, though, we lost 3 games to 1 to defending National Champion Penn State.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 24
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/19/2011 11:26:28 AM   
http://www.startribune.com/local/114209554.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

Goldy Gopher is the national champion as the top mascot and the U of M does well in other important competitions......

Who says the athletic department can't produce national champions under Maturi's watch......

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> General Gopher Talk Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode