Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Gopher Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: General Gopher Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/19/2011 11:31:11 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles K

http://www.startribune.com/local/114209554.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

Goldy Gopher is the national champion as the top mascot and the U of M does well in other important competitions......

Who says the athletic department can't produce national champions under Maturi's watch......

But we all know he inherited that

Fargo
Post #: 26
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/19/2011 12:22:30 PM   
TJSweens

No doubt Goldy will be stripped of the crown for NCAA violations and the mascot program will be put on probation. 

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 1/19/2011 4:41:18 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 27
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/19/2011 3:43:24 PM   
Lynn G.

Yay Goldy!

I had a good chuckle watching a Gopher basketball game about a month ago - - - and Goldy was wearing a Norwegian style sweater. I don't know why, but that just made me laugh.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 28
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/19/2011 11:39:16 PM   
SoMnFan

Well-deserved.
Whoever it has been over the years ... works very hard at the job.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 29
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 9:19:23 AM   
Lynn G.

I've always assumed there are multiple Goldy's. One guy can't be at all those games, those events, the halftime shows at NBA, NFL, and MLB games when they have mascot wars ...

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 30
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 2:52:05 PM   
panndder

There are multiple, and it changes from year to year. He's always the lonely looking guy on the bus during band trips.
Post #: 31
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 3:02:11 PM   
Lynn G.

I imagine they have to take an oath of anonymity - - - like the CIA.

Post #: 32
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 3:19:57 PM   
djskillz

Mascots are an extremely weird, and smelly, breed.

It takes a special kind of person to do what they do.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 33
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 8:08:03 PM   
Lynn G.

One of the former Gopher mascots has become an extremely prolific writer. I've met him a couple of times and he's a hoot to talk to. He was a mascot for the Gopher men's hockey team, and his first book, written while still in college, was called "Gopher Hockey by the Hockey Gopher."

Ross Bernstein. He still identifies with his mascot days and refers to himself as "just a rodent."

He's also the guy who wrote "I Love Brett Favre. I Hate Brett Favre" among his list of 50+ titles.

Post #: 34
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 9:43:00 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

One of the former Gopher mascots has become an extremely prolific writer. I've met him a couple of times and he's a hoot to talk to. He was a mascot for the Gopher men's hockey team, and his first book, written while still in college, was called "Gopher Hockey by the Hockey Gopher."

Ross Bernstein. He still identifies with his mascot days and refers to himself as "just a rodent."

He's also the guy who wrote "I Love Brett Favre. I Hate Brett Favre" among his list of 50+ titles.

I read a book by him. Something about the unwritten rules of baseball. It was OK. But he doesn't dig deep enough into the game, IMO. Then I read that he has books on all the other sports too, and I understood that he was more of a general sports fan, not necessarily a baseball fan. Didn't seem like he loved the game that much....was just trying to sell some books to the baseball crowd. Maybe I'm wrong.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 35
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 9:43:53 PM   
twinsfan

I think the book was called "The Code." If anyone wants to borrow it, let me know. I'll trade ya at TF this season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 36
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 9:59:00 PM   
panndder

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I think the book was called "The Code." If anyone wants to borrow it, let me know. I'll trade ya at TF this season.

You can borrow my copy of "The Question of God" as collateral. http://www.amazon.com/Question-God-Sigmund-Debate-Meaning/dp/074324785X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295582308&sr=8-1

< Message edited by panndder -- 1/20/2011 10:04:54 PM >
Post #: 37
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/20/2011 11:44:45 PM   
SoMnFan

He wrote The Code about NHL fighting.  (or that's the one I'm aware of, anyway)
He is an interesting and prolific writer, imo. Really nice guy to meet and talk to. No ego on the dude.
Mostly (to me),  because its usually about hockey, and he picks out some fun topics. His stuff about what happened on road trips with Wooger's clubs was great, crude, and entertaining. 
Tried to walk on and play with Gophers when he was a student. Takes some cajones to do that, when you played your HS hockey in Fairmont (southern-most program in MN)

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 38
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/21/2011 8:37:58 AM   
Lynn G.

He actually has TWO books called "The Code." One about NHL fighting (I own that one) and one about baseball and pitching. Hockey is definitely his favorite sport, so I agree with Matt that he probably doesn't cover the other ones with as much depth. And in truth, he pounds out so many books that I don't think any of them are exactly Pulitzer material, but he interviews so many people and gets such good inside material that I think they're fun to read for sports fans.

You're right Scott - the guy has no ego. He has very self-deprecating humor that makes him fun to talk to.

Post #: 39
RE: General Gopher Talk - 2/19/2011 6:21:36 AM   
Mr. Ed

baseball:

The University of Minnesota's baseball team will play all of its Big Ten home games in the 2011 season at Target Field.
Minnesota will open Big Ten play on Friday, Apr. 1 at 1:05 p.m. with a doubleheader against Purdue.

Ticket information for the 12 games at Target Field will be released jointly by the Twins and the university at a later date.
Minnesota was originally supposed to play 31 homes games in the Metrodome this season before the roof collapsed.

The Gophers rescheduled the Dairy Queen Classic (Mar. 4-6) in Tucson, Ariz. at the Kino Complex. Minnesota scheduled a three-game series against Gonzaga at Sacramento, Calif. on Mar. 11-13 in place of a Metrodome tournament that originally included Butler, Gonzaga and Illinois.
Other schedule changes have been caused by the collapse of the Metrodome roof:

The Gophers canceled their originally scheduled games against Washington State on Mar. 3, Hamline (Mar. 9), two-game series against North Dakota State (Mar. 22-23) and the two-game series against Cal-State Bakersfield (Mar. 29-30).
Minnesota also switched its contract with Cal Poly and will now travel to San Luis Obispo, Calif. to play the Mustangs on Mar. 25-27. Cal Poly is scheduled to face Minnesota in Minneapolis on Mar. 17-19, 2012. Minnesota's two-game series with Kansas State, which was originally scheduled for Apr. 5-6, has been pushed back to the 2012 season.
The Gophers are also scheduled to play three midweek games at Siebert Field this season. Minnesota will face St. Thomas on Wednesday, Apr. 13 at 3:05 p.m., South Dakota State on Wednesday, Apr. 20 at 3:05 p.m. and North Dakota State on Tuesday, May 17 at 6:35 p.m.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 40
RE: General Gopher Talk - 3/9/2011 10:37:30 AM   
TJSweens

WCCO is losing the broadcast rights to all Gopher sports starting this fall. Football will move to KFAN with men's and womens' basketball and hockey going to KSTP.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 41
RE: General Gopher Talk - 3/9/2011 11:52:37 AM   
panndder

In related news, the Minnesota Golden Gophers will now be known as the Minneapolis Golden Gophers. 
Post #: 42
RE: General Gopher Talk - 3/14/2011 10:36:32 AM   
Mr. Ed

Rand:

Is this the worst year ever for what we deem the "major" Gophers sports? That's a difficult thing to quantify, but right now it sure feels that way. *The football team was bad enough that the coach was fired.
*The men's hockey team was JUST SWEPT BY ALASKA-ANCHORAGE in a home series in the WCHA playoffs and will miss the Final Five for the second consecutive season (while also bowing out of the NCAA field for the third consecutive season). Both of those are akin to the modern-day Yankees having multiple seasons in a row out of the playoffs.
*The men's basketball team went from 16-4 and a sure thing to make the NCAA field to 17-14 and NOT EVEN INVITED TO THE NIT. There are 100 teams playing in either the NCAA tournament or NIT this year. Your Gophers are not one of them.
*The women's basketball team went 12-18 one year after going 13-17.
*Goldy Gopher was punched at a gymnastics meet.
The relative success of other programs, including women's soccer, volleyball and wrestling -- that's nice. But we all know the engine that moves the bus gets its fuel from football, basketball and hockey.
And that bus is broken down on the side of the road right now -- and in worse shape, perhaps, than we can ever remember seeing it.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 43
RE: General Gopher Talk - 3/14/2011 2:03:01 PM   
Dave E

Of all the ridiculous coaching issues the U has had under Maturi, the survival of Pam Borton may be the most amazing. I swear, she could go 0 for three years and get a raise.
Post #: 44
RE: General Gopher Talk - 3/14/2011 2:10:30 PM   
TJSweens

He probably didn't want to lose Pam's recruiting class this year. She supposedly has a couple of top 25 recruits coming in. Rachel Bahnam is a better player than Taylor Hill coming out of high school. I think this will be make or break for Borton.

Post #: 45
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/8/2011 9:11:37 PM   
huai0592

I am a newer here.
Glad to meet u.
Is anyone online?

Chanel Handbags
buying chanel bags online
Post #: 46
RE: General Gopher Talk - 2/20/2012 9:18:09 PM   
SoMnFan

Congrats J-Rob and his boys.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7594928/minnesota-gophers-defeat-oklahoma-state-cowboys-national-duals-championship-ncaa-wrestling

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 47
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/12/2012 8:59:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Here is my niece talking about the big Olympic trials coming up. As some of you know, she was a track star at the U.

http://www.flotrack.org/video/641270

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 48
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/12/2012 10:15:38 PM   
Lynn G.

She looks nice. Great teeth.

Post #: 49
RE: General Gopher Talk - 6/12/2012 10:20:20 PM   
SoMnFan

Very cool Bruce
Congrats.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: General Gopher Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode