Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/27/2020 11:15:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Doogie around 9:45am

Talked to Kerwin Walton Sr. Kerwin Jr. is starting to call coaches of programs he's not committing to, to thank them for recruiting him. Sounds like
@EvanDaniels
has worked it out to have the announcement. Kerwin Jr. will also post something on social. I'll chat w/ him later.

UNC.....BOO!

Scoreboard can fall on him too.

Great job Pitino!

I switched my line of thinking. Fleck has shown that you can get good players to come to Minnesota. I want the scoreboard to fall on Pitino.

lol---steady pipeline at MN and Pitino can't get the big ones to stay. Maybe Fleck should coach MBB also?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6426
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/27/2020 11:21:15 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Doogie around 9:45am

Talked to Kerwin Walton Sr. Kerwin Jr. is starting to call coaches of programs he's not committing to, to thank them for recruiting him. Sounds like
@EvanDaniels
has worked it out to have the announcement. Kerwin Jr. will also post something on social. I'll chat w/ him later.

UNC.....BOO!

Scoreboard can fall on him too.

Great job Pitino!

I switched my line of thinking. Fleck has shown that you can get good players to come to Minnesota. I want the scoreboard to fall on Pitino.

lol---steady pipeline at MN and Pitino can't get the big ones to stay. Maybe Fleck should coach MBB also?

Covid-19 saved Pitino's job IMO

He may not be so lucky next year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6427
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/28/2020 9:02:15 AM   
Mr. Ed

Woo Hoo

Pitino got another transfer!

Drew Peterson is transferring to the University of Minnesota after two seasons at Rice.

The 6-foot-8 guard/forward averaged 11.1 points per game and led Rice in rebounding (6.5 rpg) and assists (3.5 apg) last season. He became the first player in Rice history to record 300 points, 200 rebounds and 100 assists in a season.

“I’m going to Minnesota and I really just thought it was the best overall situation for me,” Peterson said. “I think they have a good thing going and they brought in some really good transfers. Assuming we get to play next season I think we have a shot to make some noise. I think it’s the best situation for me, I’m ready to be a part of the Big Ten.”

Peterson, a 6-foot-8, 185-pound versatile forward, picked the Golden Gophers over Creighton and Vanderbilt.

“My parents had Big Ten bias throughout the whole process that was noted,” Peterson said jokingly. “I definitely saw myself possibly playing there and I thought the Big Ten was the best basketball conference this past year.”

“I thought Minnesota was overall best fit for me, with everything I wanted, and luckily that’s part of the Big Ten, which is great,” he added.

During his sophomore season at Rice, Peterson averaged 11.1 points, 6.5 rebound sand 3.5 assists a game, while shooting 41.1-percent from the field.

“I’m a do-it-all kind of guy,” Peterson said. “I’m versatile and can score from all three levels. One of my preferable things to do is to facilitate and create for others. I’m an unselfish guy and I can rebound and I think I can bring a bunch of things to the table that any team can use.”

This marks the third transfer of the offseason for Minnesota, joining Drake transfer Liam Robbins, who might have been the best transfer pick of the spring, and Central Michigan forward Brandon Johnson.

Minnesota is also bringing in a two-man recruiting class in four-star guard Jamal Mashburn Jr., and three-star forward Martice Mitchell.

Get your tickets for the post season baby!!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6428
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/1/2020 4:15:47 PM   
David Levine

Richard Pitino's latest Gophers recruit — Rice transfer Drew Peterson — changes his mind
Minnesota is still a possibility, though, player says.

The Gophers men’s basketball team’s newest recruit, Rice transfer Drew Peterson, announced Friday he was reopening his recruitment after committing to Richard Pitino earlier in the week.

Peterson, a 6-foot-8 sophomore guard, has two seasons of eligibility remaining, but would have to sit out next season under current NCAA rules.

The Illinois native would need to have a waiver granted to play for the Gophers in 2020-21, because the one-time transfer rule for immediate eligibility was unlikely to pass this month.

Peterson told the Star Tribune on Thursday that he was planning to file a waiver to be eligible to play, but his mind changed after speaking with his family recently.

“After discussing with my family, I am reopening my recruitment,” Peterson tweeted Friday. “Minnesota is still very much a possibility for me. I hope everyone understands the importance of making such a big life choice during these unprecedented times. Please respect my decision.”

Peterson, who averaged 11 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.4 assists last season at Rice, was one of three transfers to commit to the Gophers this spring. Drake center Liam Robbins and Western Michigan forward Brandon Johnson already signed to open the late recruiting period.

On Monday, Peterson said he spoke to Pitino about the possibility of having to sit out this season.

“If we can get me playing first year, we’re ready to go with that,” he said earlier. “If things don’t go well and I sit out a year, it’s good for development anyway.”

The Division I Board of Directors announced Thursday they recommended no changes be made to the current transfer process right now. Current NCAA rules require transfers in football, men’s and women’s basketball, hockey and baseball sit out one season before being eligible to play.

The one-time exception for transfers to play right away is expected to be voted on during the Division I Council’s meeting May 20.

https://www.startribune.com/richard-pitino-s-latest-gophers-recruit-rice-transfer-drew-peterson-changes-his-mind/570123372/
Post #: 6429
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/10/2020 10:03:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

From Dick Vitale:

It is just a matter of time b4 allegations of major @NCAA violations will be sent to 2 power conference schools .Yes my source is usually on the money . No shock to ppl in the hopps world so I will let u use ur imagination .Delaying the process has been COVID-19

Rumors are one is Kansas.

Post #: 6430
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/11/2020 8:21:03 AM   
Phil Riewer

Zion possibly getting caught getting benefits for play for Duke?

Post #: 6431
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/12/2020 9:09:08 AM  1 votes
SoMnFan

quote:

The only shocking part of that revelation is that someone somewhere thought he wasn't?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6432
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/12/2020 9:34:10 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

The only shocking part of that revelation is that someone somewhere thought he wasn't?

One and done so needs to be over.

"Could" remove a lot of this one year corruption where players are steered to certain programs.

Let the 18 year olds go to the NBA, not get drafted or make it past a year or 2. The product is watered down enough the way it is. Add more under-skilled players at the top level that should be developing talent vs going for the quick money fix.

Now get off my lawn!!

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 5/12/2020 9:35:37 AM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6433
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/14/2020 12:34:04 PM   
Phil Riewer

Gopher Crew
@GopherCrew
·
36m
Just in case you didn’t know, the #Gophers targets as of now appear to be:

David Mutaf (Turkey)
Jakale Foreman (Liberty 15.6 PPG) Grad Transfer
Elijah Olaniyi (Liberty 18 PPG) sit-one play one transfer
Mac McClung (Georgetown, 15.7 PPG) sit-out transfer

Post #: 6434
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/18/2020 12:57:49 PM   
Mr. Ed

U trying to get connections in the Cities High School Ranks, has a new assistant, used to be Hopkins' coach

The University of Minnesota men's basketball program on Monday announced the addition of Jeff Mailhot as an assistant coach.

"Jeff is a perfect fit for our program," head coach Richard Pitino said. "He has advanced through all levels of basketball and has a proven reputation as a recruiter and hard worker. In addition to his coaching experience, he is a Minnesota native and has a great understanding of Gopher basketball. We are excited to add Jeff to our staff."

Mailhot has over a decade of college coaching experience, most recently serving in the same role at Iona College last season. A native of Minneapolis and a graduate of Hopkins High School, Mailhot also was on the staff at New Mexico State from 2017-2019 and spent several years in junior college coaching in Texas.

We are thrilled to welcome @CoachMailhot back to Minnesota as the #Gophers new assistant coach! https://t.co/sNzF1zrkA6 pic.twitter.com/emm4l2N3Ws

— Minnesota Men's Basketball (@GopherMBB) May 18, 2020
Prior to entering the college ranks, Mailhot spent time in the Minnesota high school coaching ranks. He helped lead his alma mater Hopkins to the 2009 high school state title with an undefeated record of 29-0 and finished the season ranked No. 10 by USA Today. Between his two stints with the Royals, Mailhot was at Robbinsdale Cooper High School for the 2007-08 campaign where he coached former Gopher standout Rodney Williams.

Mailhot fills the vacancy left by Rob Jeter, who was named head coach at Western Illinois University in March.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6435
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/18/2020 1:03:08 PM   
TJSweens

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6436
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/5/2020 10:35:18 AM   
twinsfan

Richard Pitino is the 6th best college basketball under Age 40 in the country.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6437
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/5/2020 10:36:55 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

There's only 5 in the country ? That's weird.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6438
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/5/2020 10:37:41 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the laugh. Good job. Needed it.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6439
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/6/2020 7:35:09 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Guess that must mean he's pretty bad if a phantom coach bumped him down a notch

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6440
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/8/2020 7:20:21 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

There's only 5 OTHERS in the country ? That's weird.

Guess that must mean he's pretty bad if a phantom coach bumped him down a notch

FTJFY

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6441
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/16/2020 7:42:27 AM   
Phil Riewer

Utah transfer Both Gach commits to the Gophers
06/15/2020, 5:00pm CDT
By Daniel House
Richard Pitino capped off a strong spring recruiting period with his biggest move yet. Utah transfer Both Gach committed to the Gophers on Monday.

Gach, an Austin, Minn. native, brings much-needed experience to Minnesota’s backcourt. The 6-foot-7 guard can handle the ball or play on the wing. His versatility, athleticism and shooting ability will make an instant impact in the team’s rotation.

Last year, the Gophers struggled in transition. Gach was a weapon in this area and occasionally popped trailing threes. He averaged 10.7 points per game and shot 39.7 percent for Utah. When Gach handled the basketball, he made dynamic plays at the rim. I expect him to play the same type of role Amir Coffey did. Like Coffey, Gach can threaten teams off the wing by cutting and coming downhill off the dribble. If foul trouble or injuries hit, he also has the skills to handle the basketball.

Gach will play a large role in Minnesota’s offensive system. He perfectly complements Gabe Kalscheur, Marcus Carr and Tre' Williams in the backcourt. The addition of Gach also allows the Gophers to slowly ease Jamal Mashburn Jr. into the rotation.

Gach originally declared for the NBA Draft, but is now transferring instead. He also hired an attorney to help secure a waiver for immediate eligibility, according to KSTP’s Darren Wolfson.

If Gach can play right away, the Gophers' starting lineup just improved significantly.

Post #: 6442
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/16/2020 7:43:49 AM   
Mr. Ed

Richie got one! Look out B10!!

After taking a break from his workout routine Monday, Both Gach picked up his phone to make an announcement Gophers fans were hoping for. The pride of Austin, Minn., was “excited to be back home.”
A transfer from Utah, Gach committed to his home state Gophers over Auburn, Creighton, Iowa State and Maryland. A 6-foot-7 junior guard and potential starter, he is the final piece to what could be a much-improved basketball team for Richard Pitino next season.
“I had a lot of greats options,” Gach told the Star Tribune on Monday night. “Being back home, getting closer to family during these bad times and having the opportunity to play for the home state is a blessing.”

A month after declaring for the NBA draft in April, Gach decided he would transfer if he returned to school. The Gophers are the closest to home. So, that gives Gach a better chance to receive an NCAA waiver to avoid sitting out the 2020-21 season.
Both Gach college statistics
“[But] it means a lot to me to come home and play so family and friends can get to see me in person and not just on TV,” Gach said.
In the spring, Gach joined the Gophers’ Daniel Oturu and Marcus Carr on the early entry list for the NBA draft. They have until Aug. 3, or 10 days after the NBA draft combine (whichever comes first), to officially withdraw.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6443
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/16/2020 4:43:17 PM   
kgdabom

I wonder if Gach had any realistic shot at getting drafted. I sure like the 6'7" guard with good handles thing.
When Gach handled the basketball, he made dynamic plays at the rim.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 6/16/2020 4:44:21 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6444
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/17/2020 10:07:05 AM   
Mr. Ed

Three transfers "could" start this coming season

If NCAA approved

That's a big impact on 2020-21 if not.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6445
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/17/2020 10:13:35 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

If NCAA approved

If not, somebody else will likely be coaching them in 2021-2022.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6446
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/17/2020 2:10:09 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

If NCAA approved

If not, somebody else will likely be coaching them in 2021-2022.

Yes, please.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6447
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/31/2020 4:22:20 PM   
Mr. Ed

Marcus Carr returning to the U, removing name from the draft.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6448
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/31/2020 7:02:17 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Sounds like good news for the Gophers.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6449
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/2/2020 6:27:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Excellent news...if only Oturu too.

Post #: 6450
Page:   <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode