Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  349 350 [351] 352 353   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 8/12/2017 4:37:12 PM   
SoMnFan

Getting some buzz in town re: our local-boys-done-good on the Gopher roster.
I'm very afraid, if true.
The kid who just graduated here has supposedly been splitting time on 1st string and 2nd string O Line at Tackle.
Not good fellas.
Flecks comment was "we are thin and he looks like one of our best, even as a true freshman"
Not good fellas.
Hoping I'm wrong tho.
Post #: 8751
RE: Gopher Football - 8/12/2017 5:47:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I expect us to pretty much suck this year. We lost Leidner.

Outside of that joke a bad year is expected. I just want to see no quit and for them to progress as the year goes on.
Post #: 8752
RE: Gopher Football - 8/13/2017 11:06:34 AM   
SoMnFan

P.J. Fleck is absolutely convinced he can get Minnesota rowing in the right direction
Myron Medcalf
ESPN Staff Writer

MINNEAPOLIS -- The question comes in many ways. Some use more explicit words, some come with softer phrasing. All, though, sound similar.

"What the hell is wrong with P.J. Fleck?"

But colleagues, supporters, doubters and reporters in the Twin Cities, home to a historically frigid college football scene, begin most conversations about Minnesota's new coach with some variation of another, more important question: Is he for real?

And that's an expected reaction to the 5-foot-10, triple-espresso-shot-of-a-coach who said he "eats difficult conversations for breakfast," enjoyed "running into the fire, not away from the fire" and planned to "change the culture" of a program without a Rose Bowl appearance in more than 50 years -- all during his introductory news conference after leaving Western Michigan, where he finished 13-1 last season.

At the time, his new team had not yet learned the full ramifications of a sexual assault investigation involving multiple players. Yet there was the 36-year-old extrovert on a dais in Minneapolis, urging his new fan base to "Row the Boat," a motivating phrase he started using after his newborn son died of a heart condition while Fleck was a coach at Rutgers.

Fleck and Minnesota actually had to work out an agreement to allow him to use the phrase with the Golden Gophers. Fleck will give Western Michigan at least $50,000 through five payments of $10,000 to endow a scholarship for a football player.

"I think the first thing you notice is Hurricane Fleck just came through," said Nadine Babu, a longtime fan who attended the coach's first news conference in January and runs Gopherhole.com, the team's largest message board. "It seems like he's prepared himself for a role like this all of his life."

P.J. Fleck says all the right things. And a lot of it he says with hands and arms flying, a constant movement of energy. But now the hard part: turning energy into wins. AP Photo/G-Jun Yam

In a brief stretch, Fleck has forced Minnesota football into the national dialogue with his "Row the Boat" catchphrase, energetic interviews and his reality show on ESPNU, "Being P.J. Fleck."

But he does not know what he'll face in the Twin Cities. Yet.

You have to live here to understand the layered vibe around Minnesota football.

The program last won a share of the Big Ten title in 1967, the final season of the "glory years" portion of its Wikipedia page. Struggling coaches have spent the past five decades encouraging pessimism and apathy through multiple generations of fans who want to win big but brace for the worst.

Last year's promising campaign was the squad's first nine-win season since 2003.

"People have been incredibly warm and open to change," Fleck said during Big Ten media day in Chicago last month. "When you haven't won a championship in 50 years, that can take a toll on a program. That can take a toll on a fan base. That can take a toll on how you believe. And then also what it breeds is comparisons. And it's almost like the movie 'Major League.' 'Oh, we'll blow it in the ninth.'"

That's what Fleck is fighting in Minneapolis.

His Joel Osteen-meets-Vince Lombardi persona aims to entice hungry supporters.

But they've drowned in the platitudes and promises of former coaches, so they're cautious. Lou Holtz wooed a desperate fan base before he bolted for Notre Dame in the 1980s after two seasons. Glen Mason reneged on a deal to accept Georgia's head-coaching job prior to his stint with Minnesota.

He later said, "Not a day goes by that I don't think about that Georgia job and the bad decision I made."

He was still Minnesota's head coach at the time.

But when Fleck talks about "comparisons," he's referencing one man.

A decade ago, Tim Brewster walked into a news conference in Minneapolis and talked about a bright future and renewed vision.

Brewster, then a tight ends coach with the Denver Broncos who had no prior head-coaching experience, spoke in the third person.

"The No. 1 thing everyone says about Tim Brewster is that he's a great salesman," said Brewster, now an assistant at Florida State. "Well, I tell you what: You're not going to be a great salesman if you don't have a great product."

He then said he would recruit the best kids in the state, players who would help the team reach the Rose Bowl.

"Our expectation is to win a Big Ten championship now," Brewster said then. "We're not interested in any rebuilding process."

He finished 1-11 his first year and lost every Big Ten game.

Minnesota fired Brewster in 2010, midway through the third year of his tenure.

"It's absolutely not fair to [Fleck], but I can see how he's compared to [Brewster]," said Babu, a longtime fan.

Fleck is not Brewster.

He's a proven leader who finished 1-11 in his first season with Western Michigan in 2013. Four years later, the Broncos went 13-1.

The Tennessee Titans picked WMU wide receiver Corey Davis with the fifth pick in the NFL draft. Fleck can coach and develop talent.

And by now, it's clear, his positivity -- a significant element of his success -- is constant.

"He had to overcome a lot," said Randee Drew, Fleck's teammate at Northern Illinois. "He wasn't tall. He had to be scrappy. I think when you first meet him, you think he's over the top. But that really is him."

Can he use those traits to convince the masses to join the Church of Fleck in a region that hasn't had a lot to celebrate since the Minnesota Twins won the World Series in 1991? That's his mission.

"Can you imagine when the Twins win the World Series, the Timberwolves -- and we're young, we just got Jimmy Butler -- win the NBA Finals, they're able to win an NBA championship, the Wild get over the Chicago [Blackhawks] hump and we win the Stanley Cup?" Fleck asked.

"And you can go on and on. The Vikings, they win a Super Bowl, and then the Gophers win a Big Ten championship? Can you imagine what the city would look like? Can you imagine that? That is why I came here. Because yes, I know people are [saying], 'That'll never happen.' But that's why I came."

The Big Ten's football media day, like the rest, offered more pageantry than substance.

In late July, the league's coaches were paraded through a Chicago convention center with their spokespersons and the conference-assigned support staff. These coaches spent hours promoting their squads and presenting optimistic outlooks, which the weight of the season could pulverize within the first month.

Thirteen coaches wore tailored suits.

Jim Harbaugh wore khakis, a long-sleeved Jordan Brand shirt, a Michigan cap and his Clark Kent glasses.

Of course.

Ohio State's Urban Meyer, Maryland's D.J. Durkin and Michigan State's Mark Dantonio had a deep conversation about a Luke Bryan concert Meyer attended over the summer.

The coaches don't attend media days to provide any program-altering insight. And reporters anticipate two days of clichés and catchphrases in the year's most relaxed atmosphere.

But P.J. Fleck couldn't help himself. He would quickly burst into 2 a.m. infomercial mode.

Tucked into a corner at McCormick Place a full 24 hours before his scheduled slot on the dais, Fleck spoke to a group of reporters about the job and his mission.

He waved his hands and fervently defended his vision. He seemed game-ready. Like, ready to play in a game in the convention center lobby if anyone had asked.

"Good morning," Fleck said in his opening remarks the next day. "I'm not sure if this was by design, to make me go first by waking everybody up."

His players love his fiery demeanor and say there is more to him than his energy.

"He actually talks to us and we're actually getting to know him," linebacker Jonathan Celestin said. "And when he's actually out there practicing, running around with receivers ... that actually helps players, like 'Oh, he's actually for us.'

"He's always like that. Every time I see him, sometimes I have to wake up just to make sure I'm on his level. You just have to actually get to know him."

In the early 2000s, Fleck starred as a wide receiver at Northern Illinois, an hour outside Chicago. He finished his career with 179 receptions, 2,162 yards, 11 touchdowns and a relentless optimism some of his teammates did not always understand.

After a 34-18 loss to Bowling Green in 2003 that ruined NIU's chances of a BCS bid, Randee Drew -- a co-captain with Fleck that year -- dragged himself to the postgame interview room. He said the entire squad sulked about the missed opportunity and had no interest in talking about the game.

But Fleck praised his teammates and looked forward as he talked to reporters while sitting next to Drew after the loss.

"He was still so positive," Drew recalled. "That's just him. And I'm over here looking at him like, 'Dude ... really, man?'"

Fleck never changed, Drew said. He remained positive in all situations.

And that's how Fleck has become a marketing machine for Minnesota football.

With that confidence, he has attracted the national spotlight before he has even coached a game at Minnesota.

"I am just me," Fleck said. "Same guy one year at Western Michigan. Go back 10 years and see what I was like. Go back 20 years and see what I was like. I haven't changed a ton. I've always had a ton of energy. I love life."

He's also honest about the job. Yes, he wants to win. Yes, he wants to elevate the program.

But college football is a multibillion-dollar pitch to fans.

And Fleck is here to Make! You! Believe! In! Minnesota! Football!

"I don't think you ever learn to sell a program," Fleck said. "I think you're just, you are yourself. I think a lot of people talk about self-promotion or self-promoters. Isn't every head football coach in Division I, especially in this league, a self-promoter for their program or their culture? I think that's really important to understand because that's what we're paid to do."

And now he has an opportunity to prove he is far more than talk and can grow Minnesota into a relevant, stable contender in the Big Ten.

If he achieves the goal, people in and around Minnesota will wear "Row the Boat" shirts, hats, mittens and parkas to their cabins that decorate small towns around the state.

And if he fails, they'll say, "I told you so," as Fleck joins a group of former coaches who've also fallen short in Minneapolis.

He's aware of the task, the past and the burden.

But he's focused on the potential.

"Just because we're having the attention, that does not equal and promise success, right, in terms of wins and losses, but what it does is ... it does promise that the culture is going to continue to go the way we want it to go," Fleck said. "And when we're ready to win championships, that will happen."

Brewster made similar claims when Minnesota hired him.

On the day the school fired him, his wife refused to open the door to their suburban home as reporters searched for him.

Brewster, a flytrap for attention early in his tenure, had disappeared after enduring a lesson only a Minnesotan would understand. It's one Fleck may come to realize.

This place can be so cold.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 8/13/2017 11:07:40 AM >
Post #: 8753
RE: Gopher Football - 8/22/2017 2:54:45 PM   
SoMnFan

ESPN ranked all the college FB fan bases based on several things
We're #107.

They use the word DISTRAUGHT to describe where we are at.
Can't argue one bit
Purdue is #108, Wisconsins like 14 of course. Iowa at #58

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 8/22/2017 2:56:30 PM >
Post #: 8754
RE: Gopher Football - 8/22/2017 4:03:28 PM   
SoMnFan

Omg tho .... If you haven't watched Flecks show on the B10 network, do so.
Every episode I'm like this

I usually hate that type of personality, but this guy ...... Holy hell, he's on something, or just an inch away from being completely NUTS.
Bless his heart for being that positive. It seems impossible
Post #: 8755
RE: Gopher Football - 8/22/2017 10:15:08 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

We're #107.

Can't argue one bit

Surprised Purdue is below us. They at least have Drew Brees to hold on to.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8756
RE: Gopher Football - 8/22/2017 10:15:51 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

I usually hate that type of personality, but this guy ...... Holy hell, he's on something, or just an inch away from being completely NUTS.

So you'll hate him in about 3 months.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8757
RE: Gopher Football - 8/24/2017 3:35:44 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

It's exhausting to follow him. Seriously.

He'd better figure out quarterback real quick-like, or that positivity will be sorely tested.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8758
RE: Gopher Football - 8/24/2017 11:22:43 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

It's exhausting to follow him. Seriously.

He'd better figure out quarterback real quick-like, or that positivity will be sorely tested.

I've never seen anything like it.
He makes every other energizer bunny type look like slugs.
Really don't know how he does it.
Always ON
Post #: 8759
RE: Gopher Football - 8/25/2017 5:32:25 AM   
SoMnFan

Potentially very scary ....

This Gophers football season has a backloaded slate, with five tough opponents — Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern and Wisconsin — to finish the season. What will P.J. Fleck’s first Gophers team look like after three-plus hours wrestling the Badgers on Nov. 25, with 12 games behind them?

That requires guesswork, and the guesses this month have been all over the map, with USA Today forecasting a 4-8 mark with two Big Ten wins, to Athlon Sports’ J.P. Scott having the Gophers starting 8-0 and winning the Big Ten West.

We don’t know the answer, but we do know how we can all start that guesswork, by taking a game-by-game look at what’s ahead.

Fleck brought the “Row the Boat” mantra to Minnesota, and in less than a week we’ll begin to see if this boat can float for the 12 weeks between Buffalo on Thursday and Wisconsin at TCF Bank Stadium in late November.

Aug. 31 vs. Buffalo, 6 p.m.

The skinny: Lance Leipold, who won six Division III titles in eight years as coach of Wisconsin-Whitewater, has found the going tough at Buffalo. The Bulls might have bottomed out last year, going 2-10 and 1-7 in the Mid-American Conference.

Gophers season opener

6 p.m. Aug. 31 vs. Buffalo (BTN)

The boat floats if: Conor Rhoda and Demry Croft are efficient. That’s the biggest thing fans should want to see from the co-starters at QB in a game in which the Gophers are favored by 26½ points. Fleck’s Western Michigan team throttled the Bulls 38-0 last year. And, oh yeah, he still could have some motivation from his first season at WMU, when Buffalo spanked his Broncos 33-rip.

The boat sinks if: Buffalo hangs with the Gophers for more than the first half.

Sept. 9 at Oregon State, 9 p.m.

The skinny: Though the Beavers closed 2016 with back-to-back wins over Arizona and Oregon, they still finished 4-8. They should be better in coach Gary Andersen’s third year.

The boat floats if: The Gophers, who rallied to beat OSU 30-23 in Minneapolis last year, hold Beavers running back Ryan Nall in check and put sufficient pressure on JUCO QB transfer Jake Luton.

The boat sinks if: Playing in front of a hostile crowd is too big of a moment for Rhoda and Croft.

Sept. 16 vs. Middle Tennessee

The skinny: This might be the trap game in the Gophers’ nonconference schedule, because the Blue Raiders can score, and receiver Richie James (105 catches, 1,625 yards, 12 TDs in 2016) might be the best skill player they face before the Big Ten season.

The boat floats if: The Gophers control the ball with RBs Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks and pressure Blue Raiders QB Brent Stockstill.

The boat sinks if: Middle Tennessee turns it into a shootout with James frolicking against a young Gophers secondary.

Sept. 30 vs. Maryland

The skinny: The Terrapins have been a trendy pick to make a leap into the top four in the Big Ten East, and a No. 18-ranked recruiting class should have them on the rise — eventually. But it’s tough to forget how the Gophers rolled to a 31-10 win at College Park last year.

The boat floats if: Smith and Brooks combine to surpass 200 yards again.

The boat sinks if: Speedy Terps RB Ty Johnson gets anywhere near his 9.1-yard average per rush from 2016.

Oct. 7 at Purdue

The skinny: The Boilermakers love to pass, and that only will increase under new coach Jeff Brohm, whose Western Kentucky team surpassed 50 points eight times last year.

The boat floats if: The Gophers rattle Purdue QB David Blough, who threw 21 interceptions in 2016.

The boat sinks if: Minnesota struggles to score against a Boilermakers defense that surrendered 38.2 points per game last year.

Oct. 14 vs. Michigan State

The skinny: A year ago, the Spartans were coming off a Big Ten title and berth in the College Football Playoff. Then the bottom fell out, with seven losses after a 2-0 start, a 3-9 finish and later three players being charged with sexual assault.

The boat floats if: The Gophers strike early against a team coming off back-to-back-to-back games against Notre Dame, Iowa and Michigan.

The boat sinks if: Spartans running back LJ Scott does his best Le’Veon Bell impersonation.

Oct. 21 vs. Illinois

The skinny: The Gophers have won five of the past six in the series, and that trend should continue on Homecoming. Illini coach Lovie Smith is in his second year of a massive rebuilding project.

The boat floats if: The Gophers’ run game wears down an inexperienced Illinois defensive line.

The boat sinks if: The Illini get three takeaways like the Gophers did in a 40-17 romp last year.

Oct. 28 at Iowa

The skinny: The Hawkeyes have been a particular thorn in the Gophers’ side, winning four of the past five and holding the U to 13 points or fewer three times in that span.

The boat floats if: The Gophers get just enough offense to win back Floyd of Rosedale.

The boat sinks if: The Hawkeyes keep Rhoda and/or Croft to a completion percentage of less than 40 while shutting down Minnesota’s run game.

Nov. 4 at Michigan

The skinny: When we last saw the Gophers play Michigan, the U let 12 precious seconds tick away and saw a stuffed QB sneak on the game’s final play end a shot at a Halloween night upset in 2015. Now, it’s Fleck’s turn to match wits with Jim Harbaugh.

The boat floats if: The Gophers somehow steal one — remember Gary Russell’s 61-yard run to set up the winning kick in 2005? — and bring the Little Brown Jug back to Minneapolis.

The boat sinks if: No sunken ships today. Chalk up this game at the Big House as a learning experience, regardless of outcome.

Nov. 11 vs. Nebraska

The skinny: Over the past four years, the Gophers and Cornhuskers have had remarkably similar records, with Minnesota going 31-21 and Nebraska 33-19. They’ve also split the past four in the series.

The boat floats if: The Gophers avoid turnovers, control the line of scrimmage and catch the Huskers looking ahead to games against Penn State and Iowa.

The boat sinks if: Huskers QB Tanner Lee lives up to his NFL draft expectations and Eden Prairie’s JD Spielman torments his home-state team.

Nov. 18 at Northwestern

The skinny: The Wildcats have been the swing game for the Gophers over the past five years, with the winner posting eight or more victories and the loser hovering around .500.

The boat floats if: The Gophers keep Wildcats RB Justin Jackson in check, as they did last year (90 yards).

The boat sinks if: Wildcats QB Clayton Thorson keeps the U’s defense honest enough for Jackson to do damage.

Nov. 25 vs. Wisconsin

The skinny: For 13 consecutive years, Wisconsin has walked away with Paul Bunyan’s Axe. If Fleck ends this trend, Gophers fans just might give him a pass on wearing that Badgers T-shirt as a youngster.

The boat floats if: The Gophers do what they couldn’t in the past three meetings: hold on to a first-half lead.

The boat sinks if: The streak reaches 14 in dominant fashion.
Post #: 8760
RE: Gopher Football - 8/25/2017 11:47:56 AM   
Brad H

As is with nearly every season in the past decade, Wisconsin will be one of the most overrated teams in the country on opening day. They still haven't won an important game that actually mattered. The Badgers better watch out in week two! Lots of talented JUCO guys for the Owls.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 8/25/2017 11:49:11 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 8761
RE: Gopher Football - 8/25/2017 4:07:52 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

As is with nearly every season in the past decade, Wisconsin will be one of the most overrated teams in the country on opening day. They still haven't won an important game that actually mattered. The Badgers better watch out in week two! Lots of talented JUCO guys for the Owls.

I think you are looking at Brett Bilema.....Paul Chryst and Barry Alvarez have a better history.

Didn't they just beat USC a couple years ago in a bowl game?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8762
RE: Gopher Football - 8/28/2017 10:30:02 PM   
SoMnFan

Reusse with what I was jusssst thinking the other day ..
That's not good.

Henry Williams coached University of Minnesota football for 22 seasons at the start of the 20th century. Murray Warmath ranks as the second longest-serving Gophers coach, with 18 seasons from 1954 through 1971.

Phillip John Fleck starts his competitive tenure with the woeful Buffalo Bulls (not to be confused with the woeful Buffalo Bills) on Thursday night. Fleck will turn 37 on Nov. 29 and has a chance to eventually rank high on the Gophers’ seniority list for coaches.

Fleck will be the 10th full-time head coach since Warmath was forced out in 1971. It’s not a news bulletin that a majority of those coaches were hired to dredge up the Gophers from near the bottom of the Big Ten, although that’s not always been the case.

As someone who has observed the Gophers going in and out of all 10 coaching changes, here’s a bit of a ranking — from most difficult situation inherited (10) to the least difficult (1) — for coaches taking over at Minnesota.

10. Lou Holtz (1984): Joe Salem had lost 18 of his last 19 games as coach. The ’83 Gophers were 1-10 and gave up 50 or more points six times, including 69 to Ohio State and 84 to Nebraska.

Holtz stayed only two seasons before leaving for Notre Dame. While here, he forced the university to raise the budget for assistants and to raise funds for what would serve as the football practice building for three decades. Holtz left with the 6-5 Gophers scheduled to play in the 1985 Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La.

9. Glen Mason (1997): Likable though he was, Jim Wacker was a five-season disaster for the Gophers — 8-32 in the Big Ten, and 17-39 overall. Mason and his staff started off by improving the talent on hand through coaching.

They also changed offensive strategy. Wacker’s teams tried to outscore opponents throwing the ball. Mason built a mighty running game that would have a chance to protect a defense that generally was going to be limited in speed.

When assessing his decade here, many of us need a reminder as to how screwed up it was when Mason arrived.

8. Jerry Kill (2011): Country Jer inherited minimal talent that had been poorly coached. He also walked into an academic mess and an aged practice building. He did well in all areas, has just turned 56, and would have had a long run here without his health issues.

7. Cal Stoll (1972): As football went from a power to a speed game, Warmath’s program had fallen behind in his last few seasons. Stoll came into that void and upgraded recruiting. He did that even though new athletic director Paul Giel wasn’t able to change the Gophers’ tradition of being low budget in all areas, including paying assistants.

6. Jim Wacker (1992): John Gutekunst’s program had gone off the rails in 1991, with a 2-9 overall record and last-place finish in the Big Ten. Wacker walked into an underfunded, low-talent situation and proved helpless to do anything about it.

5. Joe Salem (1979): There was offensive talent left from Stoll and Smoky Joe coached that phase of the game well. He couldn’t pay assistants, and he was originally recruiting to dilapidated Memorial Stadium. By the time the Gophers moved into the Metrodome in 1982, the talent was more suited for the Mid-American Conference than the Big Ten.

4. Tracy Claeys (October 2015): This is just a theory, but If Drew Wolitarsky’s reception with 12 seconds left had remained a touchdown, giving the Gophers the upset of Michigan in Claeys’ first game on Halloween night in 2015, Big Country still would be the Gophers coach.

Claeys went from hero to goat in the closing confusion on that rowdy night, and the public never changed its opinion of him.

3. John Gutekunst (1986): “Gutey” had a major problem in that he wasn’t Lou. The public wanted Lou, and the recruits wanted Lou (as a few did by following him to Notre Dame).

2. Tim Brewster (2007): Even moving into the new on-campus stadium in 2009 couldn’t save Coach Brew. He specialized in bringing chaos to order.

1. P.J. Fleck (2017): Five years ago, the Star Tribune had a headline reading, “At U, concern grows that ‘A’ stands for average.” Liberal grading might be a problem for a few professors, but it’s good for football — for Kill, briefly for Claeys and now Fleck.

There’s a fabulous new $170 million facility about to open, with football as the main beneficiary. There’s full funding for assistants and recruiting. There’s a nucleus of a 9-4 team coming off an upset bowl victory.

No new Gophers coach among the 10 since Warmath has had an inheritance to compare with what Fleck has been handed.
Post #: 8763
RE: Gopher Football - 8/28/2017 10:32:34 PM   
SoMnFan

Precisely why I am puzzled by the whole "we are going to be awful" theme they seem to be putting out there to us all.
Post #: 8764
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2017 10:31:51 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Precisely why I am puzzled by the whole "we are going to be awful" theme they seem to be putting out there to us all.

Didn't we lose a very large amount of key players from last year.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8765
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2017 11:01:25 AM   
bgdavis

quote:

We're #107.

Can't argue one bit

I'm surprised that Wisconsin is that far ahead of Iowa. Having lived several years in both states, I would say Iowa's fan base might be stronger than Wisconsin's. Part of the reason being that Iowa has no pro teams, and thus Iowa sports is their pro team. On the other hand, that support is divided across UI, ISU and smaller schools like UNI, etc.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 8766
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 3:31:10 PM   
SoMnFan

Split QB duty tonight
Oh boyyyy
Post #: 8767
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 3:37:07 PM   
TJSweens

Damn, that Twins game got done and you beat cheeks right over here.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8768
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 3:44:15 PM   
SoMnFan

On to the next!
Post #: 8769
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 3:52:07 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

On to the next!

Little Brother is going to the game tonight...Jealous as I haven't been to a gopher football game since the dome...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8770
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 5:29:31 PM   
Corleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

On to the next!

Little Brother is going to the game tonight...Jealous as I haven't been to a gopher football game since the dome...

Plenty of tickets available...
Post #: 8771
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 6:56:49 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Pretty shitty that NCAA made us open up against the Buffalo Bills. I know they suck but they are a pro team. Their passing game is making our D look silly. What's that you say........?
Post #: 8772
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 6:58:30 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Wow, home field cooking. One of the most obvious PI calls ignored. GG's benefit from that one
Post #: 8773
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 7:00:20 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Last bitch and I'll stop. Can we STOP with the coverage of our coaches. Every year Kill was in charge the whole, sensational, coverage was basically "is he going to have a seizure and die today?".

Sorry to be crass but that's what they went with.

This year it's "man PJ is like a little 4 YO bouncing off the walls". They've literally went to it 5 times already.
Post #: 8774
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2017 7:02:15 PM   
Sandman

Gophers have gotten away with 4-5 pass interferences already tonight.
Post #: 8775
Page:   <<   < prev  349 350 [351] 352 353   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  349 350 [351] 352 353   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode