Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  356 357 [358] 359 360   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 10/10/2017 11:53:47 AM   
SoMnFan

Post #: 8926
RE: Gopher Football - 10/10/2017 1:15:41 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: lylej

Why does it take Conor Rhoda so long to deliver a pass?
Receivers are open, and he is holding the ball way too long,
on every play, except running plays!!

This needs to change!

...and then tries to wing it off his back foot, falling back, like he's got a Marino arm.
Sometimes these kids get what they ask for.
He's in over his head.

Can we quit longing for Mitch Leidner?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8927
RE: Gopher Football - 10/10/2017 1:20:10 PM   
lylej

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: lylej

Why does it take Conor Rhoda so long to deliver a pass?
Receivers are open, and he is holding the ball way too long,
on every play, except running plays!!

This needs to change!

...and then tries to wing it off his back foot, falling back, like he's got a Marino arm.
Sometimes these kids get what they ask for.
He's in over his head.

Can we quit longing for Mitch Leidner?

Good pitching will beat good hitting any time, and vice versa.
Post #: 8928
RE: Gopher Football - 10/10/2017 1:20:46 PM   
SoMnFan

Please don't tell me that's what we are doing.
Post #: 8929
RE: Gopher Football - 10/10/2017 1:42:35 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Please don't tell me that's what we are doing.

Sure seemed like it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8930
RE: Gopher Football - 10/10/2017 1:43:26 PM   
twinsfan

Mitch has no NCAA eligibility remaining. We must move on.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8931
RE: Gopher Football - 10/10/2017 1:47:53 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Mitch has no NCAA eligibility remaining. We must move on.

somehow ......
it'll be tough, man ....
Post #: 8932
RE: Gopher Football - 10/10/2017 4:54:20 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I'm still hung up on Adam Weber
Post #: 8933
RE: Gopher Football - 10/11/2017 3:53:56 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

another "helluva intramural player" that we had to live with.

Find a Rickey Foggie type, put the ball in his hands as a freshman, and leave him the hell alone.
Its the only way we will ever be relevant again.
A triple threat type athlete, have some fun. Obviously we are never going to be what we have been trying to be ... some power squad.
Post #: 8934
RE: Gopher Football - 10/11/2017 6:30:08 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

another "helluva intramural player" that we had to live with.

Find a Rickey Foggie type, put the ball in his hands as a freshman, and leave him the hell alone.
Its the only way we will ever be relevant again.
A triple threat type athlete, have some fun. Obviously we are never going to be what we have been trying to be ... some power squad.

Agree entirely. It's silly to think that we are going to out-recruit power running teams in a power-running conference. They need to switch up the philosophy and create something different. It's like someone continuously banging their head into a wall. Eventually they have to say ouch.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 8935
RE: Gopher Football - 10/11/2017 6:36:07 PM   
SoMnFan

Good to hear Brad
Hell, I might even give the QB spot to Tyler Johnson
Right now he might be the best candidate on the roster.
And he's being wasted at WR
Post #: 8936
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 7:13:53 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Good to hear Brad

I like Fleck and he needs some time. He was severely handcuffed with this roster.

Fleck is over-the-top energetic and would grate on you over time, but the kid does bring an energy to the program that it sorely needs. I could do without all the Row the Boat nonsense and would gladly take a great quarterback over marketing gimmicks.

Truth-be-told, I could find 15 JUCO quarterbacks that could jump in and start with about two weeks practice. The Gophers haven't had a real quarterback in a long, long time.

Post #: 8937
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 8:32:27 AM   
SoMnFan

The Gophers were absolutely decimated by the targeting rule last season, for sure.
It changed a couple games, I'd say even lost us a couple.
Everyone told us "shut up and move on, it's a rule"
Urban Meyer gets knicked by it (in a 100-0 win) ...... And we suddenly have a national catastrophe going on.
Funny how that works
Post #: 8938
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 9:20:37 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Good to hear Brad

I like Fleck and he needs some time. He was severely handcuffed with this roster.

Fleck is over-the-top energetic and would grate on you over time, but the kid does bring an energy to the program that it sorely needs. I could do without all the Row the Boat nonsense and would gladly take a great quarterback over marketing gimmicks.

Truth-be-told, I could find 15 JUCO quarterbacks that could jump in and start with about two weeks practice. The Gophers haven't had a real quarterback in a long, long time.

I rolled my eyes when I first heard the row the boat mantra. Then I heard the story behind it and it doesn't bother me anymore.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8939
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 9:24:09 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Good to hear Brad

When I watched him in the Prep Bowl, that's exactly what I was hoping for. He carried North on his back to almost a huge upset in that championship game. The guy is a total LEADER and a great athlete. I was hoping the Kill / Claeys regime would give him the chance to make as many plays as possible before moving him to another position.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8940
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 10:19:49 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Good to hear Brad

I rolled my eyes when I first heard the row the boat mantra. Then I heard the story behind it and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Touching story. Doesn't belong on a football helmet.

Post #: 8941
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 10:22:23 AM   
TJSweens

That's your opinion.

Post #: 8942
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 1:03:27 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Good to hear Brad

When I watched him in the Prep Bowl, that's exactly what I was hoping for. He carried North on his back to almost a huge upset in that championship game. The guy is a total LEADER and a great athlete. I was hoping the Kill / Claeys regime would give him the chance to make as many plays as possible before moving him to another position.

Read my mind
I saw him several times
He beat and got beat by a couple local teams that I follow
Helluva talent
Post #: 8943
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 1:12:50 PM   
TJSweens

I think in the championship game he had something like 2 TD passes, a rushing TD and picked off 2 passes playing CB on defense. MONSTER talent. Big game player.

Post #: 8944
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 5:53:48 PM   
Brad H

quote:

That's your opinion.

It's Gopher football. The two don't need to be melded together. It's a distraction from the product, which I would not allow if I were the athletic director. It just goes to show you how far down the scale Gopher football is.

Like I said, it's a touching story. They should leave it at that. If Gopher football were a high-profile program, the Row the Boat motto would be nothing more than a footnote. I can guarantee you Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama or USC would never allow it.

Post #: 8945
RE: Gopher Football - 10/12/2017 7:33:21 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

That's your opinion.

It's Gopher football. The two don't need to be melded together. It's a distraction from the product, which I would not allow if I were the athletic director. It just goes to show you how far down the scale Gopher football is.

I disagree with every word of that.

Post #: 8946
RE: Gopher Football - 10/13/2017 6:58:43 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's your opinion.

I disagree with every word of that.

Which parts, all of them? I could see disagreeing with the two middle statements, but the other two are pretty rock solid.

It's Gopher football. (You disagree with that?)

The two don't need to be melded together. (You disagree with that?)

It's a distraction from the product, which I would not allow if I were the athletic director. (You disagree with that?)

It just goes to show you how far down the scale Gopher football is. (You disagree with that?)

Like I said, it's a touching story. They should leave it at that. If Gopher football were a high-profile program, the Row the Boat motto would be nothing more than a footnote. I can guarantee you Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama or USC would never allow it.

At the very least, the motto should have something to do with a Gopher. "Just Keep Diggin" or "Dig those Holes", something like that. Rowing a boat is in no way synonymous with a Gopher.

It shows that the community is behind Fleck and his message (which is a good thing), but it would never happen at a major program.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 10/13/2017 7:05:58 AM >

Post #: 8947
RE: Gopher Football - 10/13/2017 8:20:58 AM   
TJSweens

I disagree with all of it. Points 1 & 4 are true, but incomplete points that don't make your case.

It is Gopher football, BUT PJ Fleck is the head coach and the face of Gopher football. He was hired to create a culture and put his stamp on the program. He coaches and recruits to his mantra. The majority of his commits include "row the boat" in their tweets confirming their commitment.

Gopher football is inarguably down in scale, but row the boat is not evidence of that fact. No Big Ten title in 50 years and no Rose Bowl in 54 years is the evidence. Even the perennial laughing stock of most of those years, Northwestern (You may kick our, but our athletes go to class), has gone to a Rose Bowl.

And I guarantee you that Ohio State and Alabama would sign off on what ever Urban Meyer and Nick Saban wanted to do. To believe otherwise is just foolish.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 10/13/2017 8:23:11 AM >

Post #: 8948
RE: Gopher Football - 10/13/2017 10:53:56 AM   
Brad H

quote:

I disagree with all of it. Points 1 & 4 are true, but incomplete points that don't make your case.

It is Gopher football, BUT PJ Fleck is the head coach and the face of Gopher football. He was hired to create a culture and put his stamp on the program. He coaches and recruits to his mantra. The majority of his commits include "row the boat" in their tweets confirming their commitment.

Gopher football is inarguably down in scale, but row the boat is not evidence of that fact. No Big Ten title in 50 years and no Rose Bowl in 54 years is the evidence. Even the perennial laughing stock of most of those years, Northwestern (You may kick our, but our athletes go to class), has gone to a Rose Bowl.

And I guarantee you that Ohio State and Alabama would sign off on what ever Urban Meyer and Nick Saban wanted to do. To believe otherwise is just foolish.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Major programs will take a week and let guys wear pink for breast cancer awareness, or maybe wear a number on their helmet for a fallen legend. They aren't putting a coach's motto on their helmet and promoting it throughout a stadium. It's gimmicky. Saban and Meyer don't need gimmicks. Their programs stand on their own. Given how long they've lived, it would only stand to reason they have had heartbreaks in their lifetime.

Post #: 8949
RE: Gopher Football - 10/13/2017 10:58:04 AM   
TJSweens

It's actually the University's motto. They own the copy right.

Post #: 8950
Page:   <<   < prev  356 357 [358] 359 360   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  356 357 [358] 359 360   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode