Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  399 400 [401] 402 403   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 12/3/2018 7:39:49 AM  1 votes
Jeff Jesser

It'll be Alabama/Clemson for the 976th time in a row before we even get close to that. CFB is such a yawn for me nowdays. I still pay attention/root for the Gophers but after that I could care less. It's too predictable.
Post #: 10001
RE: Gopher Football - 12/3/2018 7:57:32 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Detroit.......The 'toilet bowl' jokes are endless.

Good programs go to nice warm southern and western bowls
We goes to Detroit.
Sounds just about right.
Post #: 10002
RE: Gopher Football - 12/3/2018 10:03:42 AM   
TJSweens

The sad thing is that were about 3 real quality wins that were offset by some of really, really putrid losses. Any bowl game is better than no bowl game, but this season could have been much more.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10003
RE: Gopher Football - 12/3/2018 10:08:24 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The sad thing is that were about 3 real quality wins that were offset by some of really, really putrid losses. Any bowl game is better than no bowl game, but this season could have been much more.

Sounds a lot like the Vikings so far.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10004
RE: Gopher Football - 12/10/2018 11:23:57 AM   
David Levine

Minnesota Football Recruiting: Four-star defensive tackle Rashad Cheney commits to the Gophers

Cheney is the highest-rated defensive lineman to commit to Minnesota in the internet recruiting era

Get to know Rashad Cheney:
Height: 6’2’’
Weight: 275

Power 5 Scholarship Offers: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Carolina, and Tennessee

247 Sports Composite Rating: .8920

Scouting Report:
Cheney will be a three-technique defensive tackle in his playing career at Minnesota. For the layman, that means he will line up on the outside shoulder of a guard. The defensive alignment makes it difficult for opposing offenses to double team a three-technique defensive tackle, which is good news for a defensive lineman of Cheney’s size and bad news for the offensive lineman lined up across from him. Cheney’s task will be to get in the backfield and disrupt the play, whether that means making a play on the ball carrier or rushing the quarterback. Quickness is key, and Cheney is fast with his first step and aggressive with his hands. It’s not hard to see how he could make life difficult for opposing offenses and wreak some havoc upfield.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018/12/9/18133366/minnesota-football-recruiting-2019-rashad-cheney-commits-defensive-tackle
Post #: 10005
RE: Gopher Football - 12/11/2018 2:51:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Minnesota Football Recruiting: Four-star defensive tackle Rashad Cheney commits to the Gophers

Cheney is the highest-rated defensive lineman to commit to Minnesota in the internet recruiting era

Get to know Rashad Cheney:
Height: 6’2’’
Weight: 275

Power 5 Scholarship Offers: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Carolina, and Tennessee

247 Sports Composite Rating: .8920

Scouting Report:
Cheney will be a three-technique defensive tackle in his playing career at Minnesota. For the layman, that means he will line up on the outside shoulder of a guard. The defensive alignment makes it difficult for opposing offenses to double team a three-technique defensive tackle, which is good news for a defensive lineman of Cheney’s size and bad news for the offensive lineman lined up across from him. Cheney’s task will be to get in the backfield and disrupt the play, whether that means making a play on the ball carrier or rushing the quarterback. Quickness is key, and Cheney is fast with his first step and aggressive with his hands. It’s not hard to see how he could make life difficult for opposing offenses and wreak some havoc upfield.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018/12/9/18133366/minnesota-football-recruiting-2019-rashad-cheney-commits-defensive-tackle

Impressive. How many 4* players do the Gophers average each year? 1-2? Never a 5 star right. How many 4 stars does Bama average. Probably don't even accept anybody less than a 4*.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10006
RE: Gopher Football - 12/12/2018 10:56:45 AM   
SoMnFan

Pretty quiet on the suspensions .....
I hear they were caught using a motor on their duck hunting boat
oars only, boyzzzzzzz
Post #: 10007
RE: Gopher Football - 12/13/2018 10:35:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Pretty quiet on the suspensions .....
I hear they were caught using a motor on their duck hunting boat
oars only, boyzzzzzzz

Kids will be kids

a .500 season gets a coach a 1-year extension

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10008
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2018 8:13:09 AM   
Bill Jandro

I can see your scepticism. However, I can't remember a time when we had a coach that has been able to land good recruits.

I really think this oline he has built is going to dominate starting next season.

Extending Fleck was the right thing to do vs coaching carousel.

The real test is can he get these kids to stay out of trouble.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 12/16/2018 8:14:54 AM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 10009
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2018 10:50:50 AM   
kgdabom

It sucks how we have two of our best players who just decide not to play in our bowl game.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10010
RE: Gopher Football - 12/17/2018 11:43:21 AM   
TJSweens

Fleck added a second 4 star DT to his recruiting class. Kristian Williams from Memphis is 6'3" and 280 lbs. He also got a top 10 kicker out of Georgia, Michael Lantz.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10011
RE: Gopher Football - 12/17/2018 3:44:52 PM   
TJSweens

A good article on Texas HS QB Jacob Clark, who will sign during the early period and start classes at the U in January.

"As a junior in Texas, Clark completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,923 yards, with 29 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 12 games. In his senior year, he completed 65 percent of his throws for 3,295 yards, 31 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 11 games."

In his first start as a junior he led an upset of the defending state 5A champion in Texas. "Clark threw for 399 yards and four touchdowns, including scores of 55 and 16 yards as Rockwall produced a stunning 53-49 victory."

His last career start was against the #1 ranked team in the country.

"Clark completed 27 of 40 passes for 428 yards and three total touchdowns in the 52-40 playoff loss. He extended plays under pressure and connected with receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba, an Ohio State commit, for 14 receptions and 269 yards."

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/17/gophers-quarterback-commit-jacob-clark-impressed-where-its-toughest-texas/

He's 6'5" with a big time arm and is supposed to compete for the starting job right away.

Post #: 10012
RE: Gopher Football - 12/17/2018 11:34:28 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

A good article on Texas HS QB Jacob Clark, who will sign during the early period and start classes at the U in January.

"As a junior in Texas, Clark completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,923 yards, with 29 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 12 games. In his senior year, he completed 65 percent of his throws for 3,295 yards, 31 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 11 games."

In his first start as a junior he led an upset of the defending state 5A champion in Texas. "Clark threw for 399 yards and four touchdowns, including scores of 55 and 16 yards as Rockwall produced a stunning 53-49 victory."

His last career start was against the #1 ranked team in the country.

"Clark completed 27 of 40 passes for 428 yards and three total touchdowns in the 52-40 playoff loss. He extended plays under pressure and connected with receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba, an Ohio State commit, for 14 receptions and 269 yards."

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/17/gophers-quarterback-commit-jacob-clark-impressed-where-its-toughest-texas/

He's 6'5" with a big time arm and is supposed to compete for the starting job right away.

Nice Bio, but he's just three star rated and 484th best prospect in the country. https://247sports.com/Player/Jacob-Clark-46049603/

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10013
RE: Gopher Football - 12/18/2018 8:06:47 AM   
SoMnFan

Anyone we can get .... please.
QB was better, but still an issue this past season.

We need to get lucky here
Post #: 10014
RE: Gopher Football - 12/18/2018 9:28:23 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

It's always a good sign when a lot of other D1 schools, including the ones in your own conference, want him. Clark had offers from Cal, Iowa, Purdue, TCU, Baylor, Colorado State and a bunch of south west universities. I wouldn't be surprised if his star rating gets a bump. He may not have gotten 4 stars because he is a true pro style QB and doesn't run much, which seems to be desired in the college game.

EDIT: Rivals actually has Clark rated as a 4 star.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 12/18/2018 11:31:48 AM >

Post #: 10015
RE: Gopher Football - 12/18/2018 5:18:25 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Stable of promising WRs
Still way too young/inexperienced under center.

Sigh.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10016
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 6:36:47 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

It's always a good sign when a lot of other D1 schools, including the ones in your own conference, want him. Clark had offers from Cal, Iowa, Purdue, TCU, Baylor, Colorado State and a bunch of south west universities. I wouldn't be surprised if his star rating gets a bump. He may not have gotten 4 stars because he is a true pro style QB and doesn't run much, which seems to be desired in the college game.

Big discrepancy between Rivals and 247. Hopefully Rivals is the more reliable.

Edit: I see Rivals just bumped him up to 4* and have him the 13th rated Pro Style QB. The 14th rated is a 3* so Clark is on the cusp of 3-4. He seems like a pretty good get for us.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 12/19/2018 6:43:08 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10017
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 10:17:50 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Edit: I see Rivals just bumped him up to 4* and have him the 13th rated Pro Style QB. The 14th rated is a 3* so Clark is on the cusp of 3-4. He seems like a pretty good get for us.

This just opens up more QB controversies next year. I thought the decision was made that they just needed to pick a guy between the Ax and Morgan (they chose Morgan in the end), and stick with him for good.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10018
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 10:26:14 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

This just opens up more QB controversies next year. I thought the decision was made that they just needed to pick a guy between the Ax and Morgan (they chose Morgan in the end), and stick with him for good.

I don't think we should be neglecting to recruit talented QBs because of Ax and Morgan. So far recruiting isn't looking good. Rivals has us as the 34th best class with no five stars and only 2 four stars.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10019
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 10:40:36 AM   
SoMnFan

Tim oughta hit you with an oar ......
Post #: 10020
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 10:46:09 AM   
TJSweens

Five star recruits only go to royalty programs. From 247, Rivals and ESPN combined Minnesota has 6 different recruits with 4 star ratings from one service or another. It's very subjective. Overall getting a mid 30's rating and top 8 in the Big Ten is fine. The rankings are determined by totaling up all the stars in the class and dividing them by the number of recruits. You literally have several spots in the rankings separated by tenths and even hundredths of a star.

Post #: 10021
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 11:59:44 AM   
TJSweens

The Gophers picked up a surprise signing today. Kelvin Clemmons, a 6 foot / 205 lb CB from HUTCHINSON Community College signed a letter of intent today. Unfortunately on our top recruits hasn't signed yet. Kristian Williams the DT from Memphis is considering waiting until the February period to sign. He told 247 that he still committed to the Gophers.

Post #: 10022
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 4:17:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The Gophers picked up a surprise signing today. Kelvin Clemmons, a 6 foot / 205 lb CB from HUTCHINSON Community College signed a letter of intent today. Unfortunately on our top recruits hasn't signed yet. Kristian Williams the DT from Memphis is considering waiting until the February period to sign. He told 247 that he still committed to the Gophers.

Williams is as good as gone. I'd like to know more about Clemmons, but Hutchinson often has the best Jr. College talent in the nation.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10023
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 4:21:04 PM   
TJSweens

“(He) is thinking about waiting until February instead now,” 247sports.com recruiting analyst Ryan Burns reported Tuesday night. “He really wants it known that he’s committed to the Gophers still, as (he) spoke with (head coach P.J.) Fleck (Tuesday) about things.”

Doesn't sound like someone who is as good as gone.

Post #: 10024
RE: Gopher Football - 12/19/2018 4:37:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

“(He) is thinking about waiting until February instead now,” 247sports.com recruiting analyst Ryan Burns reported Tuesday night. “He really wants it known that he’s committed to the Gophers still, as (he) spoke with (head coach P.J.) Fleck (Tuesday) about things.”

Doesn't sound like someone who is as good as gone.

Then why didn't he sign today. Saying I'm still committed to the Gophers, but not signing is very much like a coach getting a vote of confidence. Kiss of Death.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 12/19/2018 4:40:07 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10025
Page:   <<   < prev  399 400 [401] 402 403   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  399 400 [401] 402 403   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode