Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  403 404 [405] 406 407   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 9:45:57 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

PJ Fleck to take the Miami job?

Well, some here will certainly be happy about this development. Not me.

Is this for real. Holy F'ing shit.

However, all I could find was somebody suggesting Fleck could be a candidate.
He was one of 12 suggested. Also a report as of 26 minutes ago said the Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz will be promoted to head coach so the Fleck to Miami appears to be nothing more than wild speculation.

I had a question mark after it. There are rumors.

And they're just that. Rumors

Manny Diaz will be the new head coach at Miami, the school announced Sunday night.
The news was first reported by The Athletic's Bruce Feldman.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10101
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 9:49:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

He was one of 12 suggested. Also a report as of 26 minutes ago said the Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz will be promoted to head coach so the Fleck to Miami appears to be nothing more than wild speculation.

Yeah I saw the ? mark so I'm not saying you posted anything false. However, the only thing I found was somebody thought he would be a good fit. Here's the headline Manny Diaz returns to Miami Hurricanes as coach just weeks after taking Temple job
Just 17 days after being named Temple coach, Diaz will return to Miami with a promotion to the same role
It just shows the lack of integrity some people have IMO. My understanding is that Miami will have to buy out Diaz's contract with Temple.

Edit: Buy out is $4 million
In naming Diaz its new head coach, Miami is required to pay his $4 million buyout to Temple for his services.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 12/31/2018 10:09:12 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10102
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 10:17:09 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rumors. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Post #: 10103
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 10:58:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rumors. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Rumors run a very wide gamut.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10104
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 1:02:52 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Where else did I use the word rumors? Twins free agency speculation? Those are rumors. So if I used the word rumors, I'm not going to apologize for it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10105
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 1:32:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Where else did I use the word rumors? Twins free agency speculation? Those are rumors. So if I used the word rumors, I'm not going to apologize for it.

I should know better than to use a movie reference with you...
Post #: 10106
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 1:36:55 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What movie?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10107
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 1:40:38 PM   
The Rodent

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Inconceivable.

See the Love - Feel the Love - Share the Love

Cheers,
Tim
Post #: 10108
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 2:25:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Rodent

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Inconceivable.

Post #: 10109
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2018 5:30:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Rodent

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Inconceivable.

Agreed. It is simply inconceivable that he didn't get what movie that was from.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10110
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2019 9:42:29 AM   
Karl Juhnke

As long as the Gopher program shows steady improvement and doesn't go completely in the tank, get used to Fleck's name being mentioned for coaching openings every year. It makes sense. He's young, he's at Minnesota, which people don't believe a coach would ever want to stay at...and given the history I can see why they'd think that.

But unless it's an actual journalist with an actual source, I'm going to ignore it. Because otherwise it's just a talking head pulling names out of his rear end to get views. In other words, it's important to differentiate between an actual news story and a fluff opinion piece.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/2/2019 10:09:10 AM >
Post #: 10111
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2019 2:34:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

As long as the Gopher program shows steady improvement and doesn't go completely in the tank, get used to Fleck's name being mentioned for coaching openings every year. It makes sense. He's young, he's at Minnesota, which people don't believe a coach would ever want to stay at...and given the history I can see why they'd think that.

But unless it's an actual journalist with an actual source, I'm going to ignore it. Because otherwise it's just a talking head pulling names out of his rear end to get views. In other words, it's important to differentiate between an actual news story and a fluff opinion piece.

I totally agree with what you are saying, but I remember a while back discussing whether something was a real rumor or not. That of course is a ludicrous concept. A real rumor.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10112
RE: Gopher Football - 1/13/2019 6:08:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

he Minnesota Golden Gophers are certainly going to miss All-Big Ten wide receiver Tyler Johnson when he graduates after next season, but head coach P.J. Fleck and wide receivers coach Matt Simon are already taking steps to ensure that their loaded wide receiver corps does not miss a beat, even without their headliner leading the way.

USC wide receiver Randal Grimes was on campus for an official visit this weekend and made the decision to trade the Trojans’ cardinal and gold for the Gophers’ maroon and gold. He is transferring after recording two receptions in 2017 and redshirting in 2018.

As a recruit, Grimes chose USC over Power 5 scholarship offers from Cal, Nebraska, Oregon State, Tennessee, Utah, and Washington State. You can check out his full recruiting profile here. At 6’4’’, 205-lbs, Grimes is a physical specimen with an elite skillset as a wideout. It’s not hard to guess why Fleck and Simon are bringing him into the fold.

He will enroll at Minnesota in January and sit out the 2019 season per NCAA transfer rules. After that, Grimes will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10113
RE: Gopher Football - 1/14/2019 7:28:32 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

he Minnesota Golden Gophers are certainly going to miss All-Big Ten wide receiver Tyler Johnson when he graduates after next season, but head coach P.J. Fleck and wide receivers coach Matt Simon are already taking steps to ensure that their loaded wide receiver corps does not miss a beat, even without their headliner leading the way.

USC wide receiver Randal Grimes was on campus for an official visit this weekend and made the decision to trade the Trojans’ cardinal and gold for the Gophers’ maroon and gold. He is transferring after recording two receptions in 2017 and redshirting in 2018.

As a recruit, Grimes chose USC over Power 5 scholarship offers from Cal, Nebraska, Oregon State, Tennessee, Utah, and Washington State. You can check out his full recruiting profile here. At 6’4’’, 205-lbs, Grimes is a physical specimen with an elite skillset as a wideout. It’s not hard to guess why Fleck and Simon are bringing him into the fold.

He will enroll at Minnesota in January and sit out the 2019 season per NCAA transfer rules. After that, Grimes will have two years of eligibility remaining.

A really good "get" if it pans out.
Post #: 10114
RE: Gopher Football - 1/15/2019 10:52:28 AM   
TJSweens

Now they have added a graduate transfer DT from Notre Dame. I don't know how excited I am about it. He appeared in 11 games and had a whopping 2 tackles.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10115
RE: Gopher Football - 1/23/2019 10:20:06 AM   
TJSweens

Zack Annexstad has officially received his scholarship now. It will be interesting to see how he and Morgan fare in the rematch, come training camp. The kid from Texas is supposed to be solidly in the mix unless he turns out to be another Vic Viramontes.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10116
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 12:00:36 PM   
SoMnFan

Former Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill is no fan of the man currently leading the Golden Gophers program.

Kill, who recently was named permanent athletic director at Southern Illinois, criticized Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck during an interview Tuesday with SiriusXM College's "Big Ten Today." Kill didn't like the way Fleck handled the transition after taking over the Minnesota program from Tracy Claeys, a longtime Kill assistant.

"Sometimes ego gets carried away," Kill told program hosts Matt Schick and A.J. Hawk. "When he went into Minnesota and treated the people the way he treated my guys, telling them he had to go in and completely change the culture and that it was a bad culture and bad people. He made it sound like we didn't know what we were doing.

"I took it personal. You just don't treat people who have helped your career, and you don't even talk to 'em once you get the job."

"Do I still root for the Gophers? I do. Do I enjoy him running up and down the sidelines? No. Do I think he's about the players? No. He's about himself."
Jerry Kill on Gophers coach P.J. Fleck

Kill resigned as Minnesota's coach in October 2015 because of health reasons related to epilepsy. Claeys took over as interim head coach, then landed the permanent job, but he was fired after the 2016 season, despite a 9-4 record. Minnesota hired Fleck weeks later.

Fleck served as an assistant for Kill at Northern Illinois, Fleck's alma mater, in 2009 and 2010. Kill said he helped Fleck land the head-coaching position at Western Michigan in 2013.

Kill said the two men spoke once after Fleck got the job at Minnesota.

"It wasn't good," Kill told SiriusXM. "That's the last time, and it will be the last time. Do I still root for the Gophers? I do. Do I enjoy him running up and down the sidelines? No. Do I think he's about the players? No. He's about himself."

Fleck wasn't immediately available for comment Tuesday night, according to a team spokesman.

Fleck praised Kill during his introductory news conference at Minnesota.

"Coach Kill did tell me, 'Hey, tell him you're a Kill guy,'" Fleck said in January 2017. "I said I'm a Kill guy. I'm part of the Kill tree. I do know that. Coach Kill taught me a lot how to care for players. When I already did care for players, he taught me how to care more."

This isn't the first time Kill has criticized Minnesota. He was critical of the school and athletic director Mark Coyle for the way Claeys and his other former assistants were treated after the 2016 season, when the team had threatened to boycott the Holiday Bowl after 10 players were suspended for it as part of a Title IX investigation into sexual assault allegations.

After firing Claeys, Coyle said he sought a program that operates with "integrity and class academically, athletically and socially."

"The thing that disappoints me the most is going back over the last six years is he [Coyle] threw us all in there," Kill told ESPN Radio 1500 in January 2017. "I feel like he threw me in there. We have done nothing but represent the state of Minnesota."

"I won't be stepping foot back in the stadium," Kill added, "and I won't stepping foot back at the university."

Fleck is 12-13 in two seasons with Minnesota, but he ended the 2018 campaign with wins over rival Wisconsin and against Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Kill, 57, went 29-29 in four-plus seasons at Minnesota, earning Big Ten Coach of the Year honors in 2014. He retired from coaching after spending the 2017 season as offensive coordinator at Rutgers.
Post #: 10117
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 12:06:56 PM   
David Levine

Man, that says a lot more about kill than it does Fleck.
Post #: 10118
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 12:15:37 PM   
TJSweens

I'm honestly at the point where I say f*** Jerry Kill. He's proving himself to be a thin skinned dick over any assertion that there could have been anything wrong with the culture he created. His impeccable culture produced several players who were kicked out for participating in an alleged gang rape including bringing an underage recruit up to the room to participate in it. The right hand man he left in place to run the program, first stayed out of town when the shit hit the fan and then tweeted how proud he was of his players for voting to boycott a bowl game to stand in solidarity with the alleged rapists. Kill needs to get over himself.

BTW, do a Google search and you won't find any quotes from Fleck, disparaging Jerry Kill or his culture. You'll find a lot of praise for Kill from him.

Post #: 10119
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 2:09:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I'm honestly at the point where I say f*** Jerry Kill. He's proving himself to be a thin skinned dick over any assertion that there could have been anything wrong with the culture he created. His impeccable culture produced several players who were kicked out for participating in an alleged gang rape including bringing an underage recruit up to the room to participate in it. The right hand man he left in place to run the program, first stayed out of town when the shit hit the fan and then tweeted how proud he was of his players for voting to boycott a bowl game to stand in solidarity with the alleged rapists. Kill needs to get over himself.

BTW, do a Google search and you won't find any quotes from Fleck, disparaging Jerry Kill or his culture. You'll find a lot of praise for Kill from him.

Right now I would go recruiting Fleck>Kill>Claeys Coaching Fleck=Claeys>Kill

Jerry was a decent coach when Claeys was his defensive coordinator but he was not a recruiter and that is where he is jealous of Fleck.....Plus Fleck was a coach under Kill (increasing the jealousy of the recruits and talent).

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10120
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 2:45:43 PM   
David Levine

It came off more than a little petty coming from the retired football coach, but it's even worse when placed in the context of the full conversation.

Jerry was wrapping up a long interview about college football, his health and some about the University of Minnesota. The interview had wrapped up, the hosts were saying goodbye and just before he hung up the phone, Coach Kill threw in a little jab at P.J. Fleck that sparked the conversation that we all heard in the edited clip yesterday.

After the hosts begin saying goodbye, Kill jumps in and says "Make sure you tell P.J. about those ten games and the new stadium" in reference to an earlier comment about how Kill would have won more games than P.J. with his team and then that sparked the conversation about his critiques.

https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/mansour-s-musings/content/2019-02-20-how-jerry-kill-got-into-his-pj-fleck-savagery-is-worse-thank-you-think/
Post #: 10121
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 2:55:58 PM   
TJSweens

The notion that Kill would have won more games is pretty interesting given that Claeys did a better job coaching Kill's players than Kill did. It's also interesting because the Gophers got better as Kill's recruits got pushed out of the starting lineup by Fleck's players. This is just a continuation of Kill's pissy bitch fit over his guys being fired. There was a time when I thought this kind of thing would have been beneath him.

Post #: 10122
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 3:59:51 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The notion that Kill would have won more games is pretty interesting given that Claeys did a better job coaching Kill's players than Kill did. It's also interesting because the Gophers got better as Kill's recruits got pushed out of the starting lineup by Fleck's players. This is just a continuation of Kill's pissy bitch fit over his guys being fired. There was a time when I thought this kind of thing would have been beneath him.

I hated Kill's offense.....Claeys defense was special and he did it with less talent than Fleck is recruiting. Kill's offense was using Leidner as a Fullback. Just watching 2 Freshman fling it around embarrasses Kill probably more than anything.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10123
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 4:19:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

HOLY SHIT!!

STOP THE PRESSES

COACHES HAVE EGOS!!!!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10124
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2019 4:35:16 PM   
TJSweens

Could have knocked me over with a feather.

Post #: 10125
Page:   <<   < prev  403 404 [405] 406 407   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  403 404 [405] 406 407   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode