Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  416 417 [418] 419 420   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 3:22:52 PM   
bstinger

Held to a short FG.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 10426
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 3:35:27 PM   
kgdabom

So lucky. When Tyler tipped that up it could have been intercepted. However, also talented to come down with it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10427
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 3:37:15 PM   
bstinger

Great run by Smith to get us down to red zone then pass to Johnson for TD. Need to start catching things more cleanly. Both teams having issues.

--twinsfan
Post #: 10428
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 3:49:37 PM   
bstinger

Nobody can catch today with the moist conditions.

--twinsfan
Post #: 10429
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 4:02:16 PM   
bstinger

A couple of catches made and some good runs by Smith. Knocking on the door before half. Brooks scores as I type!

--twinsfan
Post #: 10430
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 4:03:14 PM   
bstinger

Botched hold ruins PAT. 16-7.

--twinsfan
Post #: 10431
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 4:03:47 PM   
bstinger

Time for Twins, will watch rest later.

--twinsfan
Post #: 10432
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 6:47:48 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Well at least one team won today. Good game. Solid effort. Morgan didn't look as sharp as last week...but it's not like he was going to go 21-22 every week. Really bad pick 6. And another fumble for a TD.

But the running game just bulldozed the Illini. Smith was a wrecking ball. And Brooks looked like the old Brooks especially on his TD run. That was good to see.

And the defense did not give up a TD.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 10/5/2019 7:20:47 PM >
Post #: 10433
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 8:39:18 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I've been a bit of a Fleck critic but I like what he is doing. Just took a bit of time to understand and wasn't use to his spazzy-ness.

5 and 0 and 2 conference wins against teams we should beat. We are at Glen Mason level now, IMO. Lets rise above it.
Post #: 10434
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 8:45:44 PM   
Jeff Jesser

So, sorry for the 3-er but wanted to separate them.

This offense can become elite but we need:

Johnson to stop dropping the damn ball so much. I've said it in the past. That kid makes highlight reel catches and drops a "WTF" every damn game. And sometimes multiples.

Morgan to keep the RPO every now and again when our backs are having a great day. That Brooks 4th down run where he barely got it was a perfect example. If Morgan keeps it he walks in because everyone on the planet knew he was giving it up.

Conversely. Green has to learn to give the damn ball up at some point. Holy shit. There are tribes in the remote parts of the Amazon that know SETH GREEN WILL KEEP THE RPO.
Post #: 10435
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 8:51:11 PM   
Jeff Jesser

On to the game.

Had to win, did and cruising away. Bad Illini team (why does Lovie Smith still have a job? What does he hold over that state? The Bears for far too long and now this?).

Offense again dominated and the D was pretty solid overall.

We must be vicious tacklers (when we do) because we knock QB's out a lot.

Morgan settled down but he was bad a lot today. He's a in a different stratosphere versus the QB's we've fielded over the years.

OLine was so much better. They are getting their grove.

Fleck, COME ON DUDE! Why on earth would you ice a kicker when he missed already, same distance, and you're up at home? That was crap but at least he owned it to the team as they came off. I like that.

Solid day and we won a game we are supposed to. Keep it rolling.
Post #: 10436
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 10:15:36 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

So, sorry for the 3-er but wanted to separate them.

This offense can become elite but we need:

Johnson to stop dropping the damn ball so much. I've said it in the past. That kid makes highlight reel catches and drops a "WTF" every damn game. And sometimes multiples.

Morgan to keep the RPO every now and again when our backs are having a great day. That Brooks 4th down run where he barely got it was a perfect example. If Morgan keeps it he walks in because everyone on the planet knew he was giving it up.

Conversely. Green has to learn to give the damn ball up at some point. Holy shit. There are tribes in the remote parts of the Amazon that know SETH GREEN WILL KEEP THE RPO.

Johnson: Everyone was dropping it there for a while today, so I give him a little pass.
Morgan: Agree
Green: Agree

--twinsfan
Post #: 10437
RE: Gopher Football - 10/5/2019 10:34:49 PM   
bstinger

quote:

On to the game.

Had to win, did and cruising away. Bad Illini team (why does Lovie Smith still have a job? What does he hold over that state? The Bears for far too long and now this?).

Offense again dominated and the D was pretty solid overall.

We must be vicious tacklers (when we do) because we knock QB's out a lot.

Morgan settled down but he was bad a lot today. He's a in a different stratosphere versus the QB's we've fielded over the years.

OLine was so much better. They are getting their grove.

Fleck, COME ON DUDE! Why on earth would you ice a kicker when he missed already, same distance, and you're up at home? That was crap but at least he owned it to the team as they came off. I like that.

Solid day and we won a game we are supposed to. Keep it rolling.

D was real solid. Gave up 3.

Morgan had some bad, the INT and Fumble for 6 were squarely on him. He had several catchable balls dropped when the moisture was causing all receivers problems. Agree, right now I can't think of any past QB's I'd trade for him.

Line blocked well and our 2 headed RB monster ran great. A little concerned about Smith playing while hobbled and playing when the game was out of reach, hopefully there are no long term issues for him.

A step up in class next week, we'll learn a little more about how good we might be.

--twinsfan
Post #: 10438
RE: Gopher Football - 10/6/2019 12:16:15 AM   
kgdabom

Amazing that the D only gave up the FG and that might have been set up by another TO, but I'm not sure. Smith 211 yards rushing. 5-0 is impressive. It may have been against bad competition, but it's still impressive.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10439
RE: Gopher Football - 10/6/2019 6:30:09 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Amazing that the D only gave up the FG and that might have been set up by another TO, but I'm not sure. Smith 211 yards rushing. 5-0 is impressive. It may have been against bad competition, but it's still impressive.

Agreed 5-0 is 5-0 no matter how you slice it. There are only a handful of 5-0 teams left in the nation, I bet at least a few of them had schedules as soft as ours. And I bet are plenty of teams with losses that had schedules as soft as ours. Nothing to apologize for. Fresno St was a legit competition non-conference opponent. The other two were drops in class but were at least winning programs in the lower class. The first two Big 10 opponents were lower half teams, but we got past both of them and showed signs of trending towards improvement.

Yep 5-0 is 5-0. When you have 5 teams in a row you should beat, the odds are still that you slip up on one. We didn’t. Yes I think Jeff put it best. We’re at Mason level now. Let’s see if we can surpass that.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 10/6/2019 6:32:08 AM >
Post #: 10440
RE: Gopher Football - 10/6/2019 9:34:35 AM   
TJSweens

I'm damn happy to be 5-0, but these turnover TDs have to STOP NOW! Going forward, we wil be facing competition that won't let us get away with that. The Gophers are already one win from bowl eligibility. If they can clean up the big mistakes, they have a shot at a really good bowl game and finishing the season with a top 20 rating.

Clean it up boys. There is a lot of positive to build on here.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10441
RE: Gopher Football - 10/6/2019 10:43:21 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Good posts gents. I will say this on Jonhson's drops though, Stinger. My comment wasn't about yesterday. Very true that everyone was having troubles. I've been saying it since last year. He has a chance to be a 3rd round (or higher) pick but those constant (easy) drops kill us and will slip him down to the 5th, or later.
Post #: 10442
RE: Gopher Football - 10/7/2019 8:36:04 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Good posts gents. I will say this on Jonhson's drops though, Stinger. My comment wasn't about yesterday. Very true that everyone was having troubles. I've been saying it since last year. He has a chance to be a 3rd round (or higher) pick but those constant (easy) drops kill us and will slip him down to the 5th, or later.

Yes he does have the syndrome of making incredible catches and then dropping an occasional easy one. If he keeps the drops in check I think he's higher then 3rd round easy.
Post #: 10443
RE: Gopher Football - 10/7/2019 8:57:38 AM   
SoMnFan

Conversely. Green has to learn to give the damn ball up at some point. Holy shit. There are tribes in the remote parts of the Amazon that know SETH GREEN WILL KEEP THE RPO

PoTY candidate for this thread

Great win
Rollin rollin rollin
Don't be shocked when it starts getting tougher fellas.
Keep this thing going. PLEASE. We need ya.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10444
RE: Gopher Football - 10/7/2019 9:33:22 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Yes he does have the syndrome of making incredible catches and then dropping an occasional easy one. If he keeps the drops in check I think he's higher then 3rd round easy.

I had hoped Johnson would have worked out the drop issue, since he never played WR until he came to the U. He was a QB/CB in high school at Minneapolis North. Kill recruited him as a DB. After watching North play in the state championship game, it was my great hope that Kill would give Johnson a look at QB. The kid looked like he was tailor made for the RPO QB. Fast, incredibly athletic, strong arm. In the championship game he led North in rushing, threw for a couple of TD and picked off 2 passes. When he got to the Gophers, the receiver core was depleted, so Kill tried him there and he was immediately the best receiver on the team because ... we because the kid's a stud. Even though he is an all conference receiver and opposing defenses game plan against him, I still find myself what could have been with Johnson as the QB in this offense.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10445
RE: Gopher Football - 10/7/2019 5:58:03 PM   
Steve Lentz

6-7 point favorite over Nebraska.
Sounds like Nebraska will be missing both Martinez and Spielman. Frost won't comment on injuries unless they are season ending. The Nebraska offense is not as good as last years even with both of them.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 10446
RE: Gopher Football - 10/7/2019 10:33:58 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Conversely. Green has to learn to give the damn ball up at some point. Holy shit. There are tribes in the remote parts of the Amazon that know SETH GREEN WILL KEEP THE RPO

PoTY candidate for this thread

Great win
Rollin rollin rollin
Don't be shocked when it starts getting tougher fellas.
Keep this thing going. PLEASE. We need ya.

Thanks man. I was trying to be silly, but shit. It's getting really frustrating because there are so many good things going on but every time he is in the game, it's 100% he's keeping it. It's somewhat effective against lower opponents just because we are bigger/stronger. It's just a dumb way to use a real weapon.
Post #: 10447
RE: Gopher Football - 10/7/2019 10:35:51 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

I had hoped Johnson would have worked out the drop issue, since he never played WR until he came to the U. He was a QB/CB in high school at Minneapolis North. Kill recruited him as a DB. After watching North play in the state championship game, it was my great hope that Kill would give Johnson a look at QB. The kid looked like he was tailor made for the RPO QB. Fast, incredibly athletic, strong arm. In the championship game he led North in rushing, threw for a couple of TD and picked off 2 passes. When he got to the Gophers, the receiver core was depleted, so Kill tried him there and he was immediately the best receiver on the team because ... we because the kid's a stud. Even though he is an all conference receiver and opposing defenses game plan against him, I still find myself what could have been with Johnson as the QB in this offense.

It's something we'll have to live with. Dude is an absolute stud but drops balls. I have to realize he isn't Moss. Enjoy the wins (individual and team). It's hard as a Gopher fan
Post #: 10448
RE: Gopher Football - 10/7/2019 10:40:11 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

6-7 point favorite over Nebraska.
Sounds like Nebraska will be missing both Martinez and Spielman. Frost won't comment on injuries unless they are season ending. The Nebraska offense is not as good as last years even with both of them.

No offense man, but I'm using this to illustrate my point. The MN Gophers are a TD fav over Nebraska

We are headed in a good direction. That was a headline you would see, what? 30 years ago?

We have issues but I'm really starting to like this Fleck thing. His weird 'row the boat' thing has settled down and he's starting to win games I would have laughed off.

We got some big ones coming up though that will let us know where we are in the food chain.
Post #: 10449
RE: Gopher Football - 10/8/2019 8:03:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

Looks like we are finally integrating our other tall tight end...

BREVYN SPANN-FORD

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10450
Page:   <<   < prev  416 417 [418] 419 420   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  416 417 [418] 419 420   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode