Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  421 422 [423] 424 425   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 10/17/2019 7:32:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Nah, I'll be pissed for sure. Am whenever we lose, no matter to who. If we lose to the Penn State's of the world, I don't think we'll be blown out. I've seen serious upgrades this year with this team. This aint the same Gophers I've seen for 10 years. We have real athletes where we need them, a QB that can hurt you with his arm and beef where we need it. Do we have flaws? Absolutely. We are getting better every week though and that's extremely exciting.

Going to have integrate that Freshman TE into the mix. Going to need him against Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10551
RE: Gopher Football - 10/17/2019 7:43:03 AM   
SoMnFan

Local big boy did good on the PJ Fleck Show last night.
They're sure having fun. Winning does that.
He's quite the kid. Can tell Fleck enjoys the interaction he has with them.
That's unique in big-school FB and I hope that continues.
Some of the countries "best" FB coaches can't tell you what their starting tackles name is.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10552
RE: Gopher Football - 10/17/2019 8:50:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Some of the countries "best" FB coaches can't tell you what their starting tackles name is.

The big boy does good pretty much everywhere on the line....didn't he play LT last game?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10553
RE: Gopher Football - 10/17/2019 9:06:52 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

The big boy does good pretty much everywhere on the line....didn't he play LT last game?

Yep that was the gist of the convo
He's versatile
Smart enough to play any of the positions.
They're using 6 guys up front, smart, very smart.
Keep em fresh and interested, and competitive

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10554
RE: Gopher Football - 10/17/2019 1:21:35 PM   
SoMnFan

Should pound this program into the dirt tomorrow.
But has been said … we can't count on that, ever.
Use our strengths and keep improving.

Btw … Trey Lance's little brother breaks some offensive records every night he plays
Leading this years HS team to another undefeated season
Playing WR. Had another 2 TDs and 211 yards receiving last night.
keep it in mind …

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 10/17/2019 2:23:44 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10555
RE: Gopher Football - 10/17/2019 7:38:38 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

50 years or so of Gopher football has me fearing this upcoming game. I can’t help it. Undefeated, ranked, positivity at a several year high point, cupcake team coming up. Yes what could possibly go wrong
Post #: 10556
RE: Gopher Football - 10/18/2019 9:53:57 AM   
TJSweens

One thing Jerry Kill did well was to emphasize the importance of walk ons to the recruiting process. Fleck has stressed it even more. Here is a good example:

Sam Renner’s never-say-die attitude good for him, even better for Gophers

By ANDY GREDER | agreder@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: October 15, 2019 at 6:28 pm | UPDATED: October 16, 2019 at 10:36 am

Sam Renner has had many opportunities to quit playing football:

— When he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee midway through his senior year at Maple Grove High School in 2014.

— When he tore the ACL in his other knee a year later, in 2015, as a walk-on freshman with the Gophers.

— Or when he didn’t play in a single game in the 2016 season.

But a better moment when he could have said forget it once and for all is the moment he dug in for more.

Renner had fulfilled a dream of playing college football for his home-state school in 2017, appearing on special teams in 12 games. He also had earned his degree in applied economics in three years, paving the way for a clean break.

Yet Renner called this one of his “darker times” as he felt pangs of unfinished business in not yet playing on defense for Minnesota. So, he went into coach P.J. Fleck’s corner office to ask for a shot.

“It’s hard to go kind of talk to a coach and ask him for something because they might not always view you one way,” Renner said Tuesday. “You’ve kind of got to say, ‘Hey, I think I can play. So please give me an opportunity.’

“But Coach Fleck took it really graciously, and he was like, ‘OK, if you want to play … you’ve got to prove it.’ ”

Stringing together strong practices in the spring of 2018, Renner was surprised during a timeout in the spring game at TCF Bank Stadium that April that he had earned a scholarship. That fall he had 13 tackles in 13 games, making three starts due to others’ injuries.

Now a redshirt senior, the defensive lineman has been a force in the middle of the Minnesota ‘D’, leading the team with three sacks. He had a sack along with other quarterback hits and pressures in the 34-7 victory over Nebraska.

“It was a natural, free-flowing thing,” Renner said of last Saturday’s game. “It just felt instinctive and felt fun to play in. You don’t get a ton of those sometimes.”

The Cornhuskers game was meaningful to Renner because he almost enrolled at Nebraska. While on the wait list at the U, he made Nebraska his backup plan, and it became his grad party theme.

After the red-and-white party, Renner was accepted to Minnesota a week before summer workouts, and he had to tell his family all those “good luck in Lincoln” messages were for naught.

At Maple Grove, Renner was a late bloomer as he rotated in at tight end as a junior before hitting a growth spurt to get to 6-foot-3, 235 pounds by his senior season. The two-sport athlete, along with hockey, started at fullback and was rotating in at defensive end in the first four games.

“He was really good,” Maple Grove coach Matt Lombardi said.

In the fifth game of the season, against Totino-Grace, Crimson quarterback Brad Davison ran a bootleg and found Renner open on a drag route. But the pass was behind Renner, and he injured his knee trying to stop and catch the ball. Davison, now the Wisconsin Badgers basketball team’s point guard, still regrets the throw, Lombardi said.

“(Renner) was devastated when that happened,” Lombardi said. “He was having such a good year and was becoming a two-way player for us. It was a heartbreaking moment.”

Renner’s intellect on the field allowed Lombardi to leave out to some portions of the play calls because he knew Renner would find the right way to execute, and along the way, his understanding helped shepherd along a sophomore QB.

Without the injury, Lombardi believes Renner could have been a scholarship player at the FCS level at, say, North Dakota State or South Dakota State. Instead, Lombardi pitched Renner to former U linebackers coach Mike Sherels, who at the time recruited the state of Minnesota for head coach Jerry Kill.

Along with Lombardi’s glowing reviews, Sherels’ saw Renner’s big frame and large hands, and started recruiting him as a walk-on.

Fleck, who honored a pledge to give Renner a closer look in spring ball in 2018, now calls Renner an “unsung hero” in Minnesota’s 6-0 start heading into Saturday’s game at Rutgers.

“If there is one guy I want with me, walking to a place that maybe I shouldn’t be walking at times, I want Sam Renner right next to me,” Fleck said Saturday. “He’s tough. … He’s the guy you want with you when there’s crisis and chaos.”

Renner is also the guy Lombardi wants back at the northwest Twin Cities metro school for one of their pasta feeds the day before games.

“He’s probably my No. 1 speaker I want to have come and talk to the kids,” Lombardi said. “Like I said, its the story of resilience.”

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10557
RE: Gopher Football - 10/18/2019 9:59:41 AM   
TJSweens

More on what a different culture and attitude that's taken over the program.

Gophers' answer to coach P.J. Fleck: Heck yes, it's worth it

Gophers reflect on their well-documented adversity; first AP ranking in five years follows.
By Megan Ryan Star Tribune OCTOBER 14, 2019 — 2:30PM

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck had one question for players at the team meeting the night before facing Nebraska: Is it worth it?

The coach went around to nearly each player and shared a story about him. For running back Shannon Brooks, he asked if it was worth it to return from multiple injuries for his final season. For receiver Tyler Johnson, he asked if it was worth it to come back for his senior year instead of declaring for the NFL draft. For running back Rodney Smith, he asked if it was worth it to rehab an ACL tear to play his sixth year.

“I want it to be worth it,” Fleck told them. “I want you to love it here. I want you to enjoy your experience. At times, is it going to be hard? Yeah. But … has it been worth it up to this point?”

If any of the players waffled on their answer, by Saturday night the choice might have become clear. With a decisive 34-7 victory against Nebraska, the best the Gophers have looked all season, the Gophers climbed to 6-0 and bowl eligibility.

They’re one of 12 undefeated FBS teams and four in the Big Ten at 3-0. Their eight-game winning streak dating to last season is the longest for the team in 70 years. They are ranked No. 20 in the Associated Press Top 25, their first AP ranking since 2014.

“Being hurt last year and deciding to come back, that was in my vision,” Smith said of the Gophers’ current success. “It was one of the reasons I chose to come back. I believed that this team could be special. And we are special.”

The win against Nebraska showcased many strengths, from the rigorous run game to the determined defense. Individuals stood out, sure, but the collective play was most impactful. The running backs are a good example of that. Smith, Brooks and Mohamed Ibrahim split carries fairly equally. Smith was the only one to eclipse 100 yards, but Brooks was right behind at 99 yards, and Ibrahim scored three touchdowns.

Ibrahim also heard a special message from Fleck before the game, when the coach asked the 5-10, 205-pound player if it was worth it to leave Maryland for Minnesota when everyone told him he was too small to play at this level.

“Being able to know that we all have different stories, going through a lot of stuff together, individually, and that all just comes together for one big elite story,” quarterback Tanner Morgan said of the meeting. “And we’re writing our story now each and every week.”

Fleck paid special attention to the seniors on the team, including fourth-year sophomore Antoine Winfield Jr. He said that class has been through the most change and adversity, both on and off the field, including the coaching change and a player boycott before Fleck came on in 2017.

“That senior class has seen a lot. Is it worth it to feel what they felt in that locker room right there being 6-0?” Fleck said. “We have a powerful thing because they never had to stay. And who was it hardest for? Them.”

Winfield said he thinks the meeting definitely influenced the Gophers’ play against Nebraska.

“It just really hit to heart,” Winfield said. “Where we came from and how much we’ve overcome in the past few years.”

The Gophers are now on the precipice of more history. Should they beat abysmal Rutgers on the road the coming weekend, they would be 7-0 for the first time since 1960, a national championship season. They’d also be 4-0 in the Big Ten Conference for the first time since 1967, the most recent season the Gophers took home a Big Ten title.

As the Gophers try to accomplish these feats, Fleck will keep asking his players: Is it worth it?

“I hope they all continue to say yes,” he said.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10558
RE: Gopher Football - 10/18/2019 11:04:58 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Btw … Trey Lance's little brother breaks some offensive records every night he plays
Leading this years HS team to another undefeated season
Playing WR. Had another 2 TDs and 211 yards receiving last night.
keep it in mind …

No game today.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10559
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 2:57:45 PM   
kgdabom

Illinois beat Wiscy today. So does that make them more of a quality win?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10560
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 3:13:05 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Not really. But it does reinforce that you never have to apologize for 6-0. Even if you play 6 games in a row you’re supposed to win, odds are you will screw up one of them.
Post #: 10561
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 3:16:21 PM   
Karl Juhnke

A TD in the first quarter. I’m feeling a little better now.

I’d still be a bit worried if I was in Vegas and had a fat wad of cash on the the Gophers with 28 point spread.
Post #: 10562
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 3:18:31 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

o

Not really. But it does reinforce that you never have to apologize for 6-0. Even if you play 6 games in a row you’re supposed to win, odds are you will screw up one of them.

It just means that, once again the Sconies are overrated.

Post #: 10563
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 3:46:59 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Love it. First time he was wide open in the end zone but just overthrown a bit. So run the same thing again and do it better this time.
Post #: 10564
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 5:24:24 PM   
MDK

Gophers looking better and better each week.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 10565
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 5:30:14 PM   
Karl Juhnke

What an electric atmosphere. I’ve never seen the stands more empty for a ‘Big Ten’ football game (Yes you need to put Big Ten in quotes for a Rutgers game).

There can’t be more than 400 people left there.
Post #: 10566
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 5:33:06 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Gophers looking better and better each week.

Maybe. But this is a really bad Rutgers team. South Dakota would whip these guys easily, that’s not exaggeration. That’s fact.

But credit to the Gophers. They took care of business.
Post #: 10567
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 5:42:01 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Damn, shutout gone. Third stringers give up a TD.
Post #: 10568
RE: Gopher Football - 10/19/2019 9:22:42 PM   
Jeff Jesser

It was a bit ugly in the first half (at times) with the O. D was solid and a 20th ranked team had a scoreline that should reflect that ranking when taking on a 1-5 team at their place for Homecoming. Wasn't perfect but it's a win a club that is continually getting better should come away with.

Take care of business at home against a talented MD team and it sets up for a huge "statement" day in 2 weeks.
Post #: 10569
RE: Gopher Football - 10/20/2019 9:43:27 AM   
Bill Jandro

Why is Rutgers in the B10?

We have enough door mats in this conference.

17th straight B10 loss for Rutgers.

Empty stadium.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 10570
RE: Gopher Football - 10/20/2019 1:23:58 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Gophers #17 in latest AP poll.

Badgers slip to #13.
Post #: 10571
RE: Gopher Football - 10/20/2019 3:43:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Badgers slip to #13.

Highest ranking since 2004

I don't recall a thing about the 2004 Gophers.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10572
RE: Gopher Football - 10/20/2019 4:35:03 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Badgers slip to #13.

Blew a huge lead over Michigan. If we woulda won that game, we woulda gone to the Rose Bowl.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10573
RE: Gopher Football - 10/20/2019 10:31:22 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Why is Rutgers in the B10?

We have enough door mats in this conference.

17th straight B10 loss for Rutgers.

Empty stadium.

NY TV audience I think was the goal.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 10574
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 8:08:55 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Badgers slip to #13.

Blew a huge lead over Michigan. If we woulda won that game, we woulda gone to the Rose Bowl.

Pretty sure it was a Thursday night? At home?
Thought we had turned a corner, we were putting it on em
And then the roof caved in.
Michigan reminded us we were us, and they were them.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10575
Page:   <<   < prev  421 422 [423] 424 425   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  421 422 [423] 424 425   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode