Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  482 483 [484] 485 486   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 12:20:08 PM   
David Levine

Get to know Sam Jackson (again)

Height: 5’11”
Weight: 170

Power 5 Scholarship Offers:
Boston College, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Purdue, Virginia Tech, and Wisconsin

247 Sports Composite Rating: .8935

247 Sports Scouting Report:
Not a prospect who stands out physically on the hoof. Average height and needs to bulk up some. Does stand out on film as far as explosiveness and play-making ability. Fast, makes cuts at full speed and shows great ball skills for someone who has not played full-time receiver yet. Also has a strong arm at quarterback. The main question there is size as far as being a college signal caller. Too explosive and athletic though to not make an impact in college somewhere on offense. Even if it is as a receiver who plays quarterback part-time.

Highlight Videos:
https://www.hudl.com/profile/9465785/Sam-Jackson

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/4/22/21231036/minnesota-football-recruiting-2021-sam-jackson-athlete
Post #: 12076
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 12:52:25 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Gophers receive renewed commitment from four-star Illinois athlete

By ANDY GREDER | agreder@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: April 22, 2020 at 9:18 a.m. | UPDATED: April 22, 2020 at 10:20 a.m.

The Gophers football program received a renewed commitment from Illinois athlete Sam Jackson on Wednesday.

Jackson, considered a four-star player by recruiting services, was the first pledge to Minnesota’s 2021 class back in February 2019, but had cooled on the U through last fall.

Jackson tweeted a picture of him in a Gophers uniform and helmet, with “COMMITTED” on the bottom of the image. He wrote, “No explication needed, RESPECT MY DECISION. #RTB #SKI-U-MAH”

Jackson plays quarterback at Naperville Central and is considered the seventh-best player in Illinois for next year’s class. He had offers from Notre Dame, a perceived favorite, as well as Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin and others.

Jackson, who is listed at 5 foot 11 and 170 pounds, is the 12th commit to Minnesota’s class for next year and the seventh in April. He is the fourth, four-star recruit in the class.

Explication???

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 12077
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 1:04:41 PM   
SoMnFan

He was so close tho

We can help him.

Trust the process.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12078
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 1:18:32 PM   
TJSweens

Just means there is room for growth.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12079
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 3:14:54 PM   
Phil Riewer

#Minnesota moves up to No. 5 in the @247Composite Team Recruiting Rankings with the pledge from four-star QB/ATH Sam Jackson: https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 12080
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 3:22:51 PM   
SoMnFan

No 5 ?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12081
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 8:05:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

#Minnesota moves up to No. 5 in the @247Composite Team Recruiting Rankings with the pledge from four-star QB/ATH Sam Jackson: https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Gophers typically get 1 possibly 2 4 star recruits a year. This year they have 4 of them or possibly more. This is very heady stuff that I'm not used to. 5th overall unbelievable.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12082
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 8:06:43 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Gophers receive renewed commitment from four-star Illinois athlete

By ANDY GREDER | agreder@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: April 22, 2020 at 9:18 a.m. | UPDATED: April 22, 2020 at 10:20 a.m.

The Gophers football program received a renewed commitment from Illinois athlete Sam Jackson on Wednesday.

Jackson, considered a four-star player by recruiting services, was the first pledge to Minnesota’s 2021 class back in February 2019, but had cooled on the U through last fall.

Jackson tweeted a picture of him in a Gophers uniform and helmet, with “COMMITTED” on the bottom of the image. He wrote, “No explication needed, RESPECT MY DECISION. #RTB #SKI-U-MAH”

Jackson plays quarterback at Naperville Central and is considered the seventh-best player in Illinois for next year’s class. He had offers from Notre Dame, a perceived favorite, as well as Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin and others.

Jackson, who is listed at 5 foot 11 and 170 pounds, is the 12th commit to Minnesota’s class for next year and the seventh in April. He is the fourth, four-star recruit in the class.

Explication???

I like that word. It's like Charles Barkley and Turribul.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12083
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 8:48:30 PM   
Phil Riewer

They just received a 3 star commitment from a DE also.

Post #: 12084
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 9:19:49 PM   
Mr. Ed

If there's a hotter team on the recruiting trail in April than the Golden Gophers right now, I'd like to see them. Minnesota's earned seven commitments already this month from Brady Boyd, Steven Ortiz, Lemeke Brockington, Devon Williams, Tamarion Crumpley, Sam Jackson and Avante Dickerson. Now add an eighth in China Springs (Texas) defensive end D'Marion Alexander.

One of the top defensive athletes in Texas in 2021 China Spring (Texas) defensive end D'Marion Alexander has committed to the Gophers over reported offers from Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Arizona State and Kansas among others.

Strib says they're #2 in the BIG 10 in addition to #5 in the nation in this class.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12085
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 10:20:48 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

If there's a hotter team on the recruiting trail in April than the Golden Gophers right now, I'd like to see them. Minnesota's earned seven commitments already this month from Brady Boyd, Steven Ortiz, Lemeke Brockington, Devon Williams, Tamarion Crumpley, Sam Jackson and Avante Dickerson. Now add an eighth in China Springs (Texas) defensive end D'Marion Alexander.

One of the top defensive athletes in Texas in 2021 China Spring (Texas) defensive end D'Marion Alexander has committed to the Gophers over reported offers from Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Arizona State and Kansas among others.

Strib says they're #2 in the BIG 10 in addition to #5 in the nation in this class.

Ohio State is #1 by a mile. Of their 17 commits, they have three 5-star and twelve 4-star.

The next BIG 10 team after us is Wisconsin at #10 - which starts a run of BIG 10 teams.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
Post #: 12086
RE: Gopher Football - 4/22/2020 10:23:15 PM   
David Levine

Get to know D’Marion Alexander

Height: 6’5”
Weight: 215

Arizona State, Baylor, Kansas, Texas Tech, and TCU

247 Sports Composite Rating: .8516

Scouting Report:

It sounds like Fleck and defensive coordinator Joe Rossi envision his role being similar in nature to Carter Coughlin’s, alternating between outside linebacker and edge rusher. Like Coughlin, Alexander does not have much experience playing on the line of scrimmage, but his size, length, and speed would enable him to thrive in such a role. His technique as a pass rusher is understandably raw, with consistent pad level representing an area in need of improvement, but he has a natural feel for attacking the edge or countering inside. Alexander has flashed impressive closing speed when pursuing the ball carrier, and his length and athleticism help him as an edge rusher. He has all of the physical tools to succeed once he is in a college weight-training program and can work with defensive line coach Chad Wilt to improve and refine his technique.

Highlight Videos:
https://www.hudl.com/profile/9730696/DMarion-Alexander

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/4/22/21224825/minnesota-football-recruiting-2021-dmarion-alexander-linebacker
Post #: 12087
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2020 7:03:37 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

He was so close tho

We can help him.

Trust the process.

I envision future tutoring scandal.

--twinsfan
Post #: 12088
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2020 7:06:46 AM   
bstinger

Nice job by PJ & Company during this awkward recruiting season. Hope we get to enjoy the games this fall.

--twinsfan
Post #: 12089
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2020 7:36:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Scouting Report:

It sounds like Fleck and defensive coordinator Joe Rossi envision his role being similar in nature to Carter Coughlin’s, alternating between outside linebacker and edge rusher. Like Coughlin, Alexander does not have much experience playing on the line of scrimmage, but his size, length, and speed would enable him to thrive in such a role. His technique as a pass rusher is understandably raw, with consistent pad level representing an area in need of improvement, but he has a natural feel for attacking the edge or countering inside. Alexander has flashed impressive closing speed when pursuing the ball carrier, and his length and athleticism help him as an edge rusher. He has all of the physical tools to succeed once he is in a college weight-training program and can work with defensive line coach Chad Wilt to improve and refine his technique.

Highlight Videos:

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/4/22/21224825/minnesota-football-recruiting-2021-dmarion-alexander-linebacker

Now here is a kid that needs to add a pound or two.

Post #: 12090
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2020 7:59:41 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

3* should be the low end of our recruits.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12091
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2020 8:02:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Scouting Report:

Highlight Videos:

I noticed that also. 215 pound DE?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12092
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2020 8:03:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

3* should be the low end of our recruits.

Not exactly....tons of walk ons, etc. that are lower than that. Are you talking only scholarships?

Post #: 12093
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2020 8:05:20 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Scouting Report:

Highlight Videos:

I noticed that also. 215 pound DE?

He's not even done w/his HS junior year....smh

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12094
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2020 9:44:35 AM   
TJSweens

I love seeing the Gophers' recruiting ranked higher than it typically is. Keep in mind, the rankings are far from precise. The services take the raw score for each recruit (the .8xxxxx or .9xxxxx), add them up and divide that number by the number of recruits to get the class' ranking. They do the same thing with the stars that they assign to a kid. If historical results hold up, the Gophers will drop from whatever level they are early. That's because Fleck tries to nail down his class as early as possible, while a lot blue blood programs will wait it out. Still, Fleck (and certainly no other Gopher coach) has never been rated this high at any point. I think in past years, he has been around 20-25 at this stage. While several slots can be separated by about 2 tenths of a star, this is a whole order of magnitude higher. When the dust settles, Fleck could still very well be in the top 10 classes in the country.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12095
RE: Gopher Football - 4/27/2020 8:56:07 AM   
SoMnFan

Record number of Gophs drafted
Extremely cool
We've become a program.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12096
RE: Gopher Football - 4/27/2020 9:09:59 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Record number of Gophs drafted
Extremely cool
We've become a program.

Agreed

And in a sense, sort of sad

When 5 is the most you've ever had drafted in one draft.

Baby steps, I know.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12097
RE: Gopher Football - 4/27/2020 9:17:34 AM   
Lynn G.

And those draft picks will help recruiting down the line (I know I'm only stating the obvious here). It appears that young men want to play for P.J. Fleck, and having met him in person once myself I get the feeling why. He talks to you as if what you have to say is very important, and you are the only one in the room at that time.

A good recruiter, a good season, and a good showing in the draft - I believe this boat has made it out of the harbor and is heading into some really interesting seas. Keep rowing!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 12098
RE: Gopher Football - 4/27/2020 11:01:05 AM   
SoMnFan

I'm getting old … but wasn't Tyler Johnson going in the 5th round kind of shocking?
I'm not saying he was a 1st rounder, but I'll eat my hat if there were that many better playmakers than him in the first 4 rounds.
Just seemed odd to me. We never talked about it but I totally assumed 2nd or early 3rd.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12099
RE: Gopher Football - 4/27/2020 11:05:27 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

I'm getting old … but wasn't Tyler Johnson going in the 5th round kind of shocking?
I'm not saying he was a 1st rounder, but I'll eat my hat if there were that many better playmakers than him in the first 4 rounds.
Just seemed odd to me. We never talked about it but I totally assumed 2nd or early 3rd.

Spielman will regret passing on him at 155 and trading the pick for a future pick. Johnson would have been an incredible value at a position of need at that pick. Brady is going to love him.

Post #: 12100
Page:   <<   < prev  482 483 [484] 485 486   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  482 483 [484] 485 486   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode