Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 8/18/2020 10:20:06 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Meanwhile, Fleck got a commitment from an Ohio top 10 for 2022.

Ohio defensive end Trey Bixby has committed to the Minnesota Golden Gophers, becoming the first member of the 2022 recruiting class to grab an oar. He has developed a good relationship with defensive line coach Chad Wilt, who recruited Bixby and first him offered a scholarship when he was at Cincinnati. Once he was hired at Minnesota, Wilt extended another offer to Bixby.

Bixby would be the highest-ranked defensive lineman to sign with the Gophers since Carter Coughlin, according to 247 Sports. He would be the sixth-highest all-time, regardless of position.

Get to know Trey Bixby
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 245

Power 5 Scholarship Offers: Arkansas, Michigan State, and Penn State

247 Sports Composite Rating: .9226

Scouting Report
Bixby will be a strongside defensive end for the Gophers, fulfilling the same role that we’ve seen Winston DeLattiboudere handle for the last three seasons. He lacks the speed to be a rush end, but he makes up for it with agility that won’t make him a liability on passing downs. What stands out about Bixby is how disciplined he is, from maintaining a consistent pad level to making sound choices when reacting to a play. But his natural brute force is the main attraction here. That power, coupled with his physical and mental tools, makes him a formidable foe in the leverage battle. He has the strength to hold up in the running game and the quickness to get in the backfield.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/8/13/21366527/minnesota-football-recruiting-2022-defensive-end-trey-bixby-commits-gophers
Post #: 12251
RE: Gopher Football - 8/18/2020 10:21:52 AM   
David Levine

This is a terrific interview. And its been unlocked by 247, so its free to read.

BREAKING: Four-star DE Trey Bixby explains his Gophers decision

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Article/BREAKING-2022-four-star-defensive-end-Trey-Bixby-explains-his-Minnesota-Gopher-Football-Recruiting-commitment-150223830/
Post #: 12252
RE: Gopher Football - 8/18/2020 10:23:58 AM   
David Levine

From the interview:

St. Edward (OH) defensive end Trey Bixby became the first commitment in the 2022 recruiting class for P.J. Fleck and the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. Though he resides in Ohio now, Trey was born in the state of Minnesota and spent much of his young life there before moving a few times to ultimately arrive in the Buckeye state. Despite being only a junior-to-be, Trey felt the time was right to end his recruitment and chose to commit to Minnesota for a few key reasons.

----

“I saw a community really rallying and uplifting each other during that time. I went to the George Floyd memorial site and we saw people of every race and ethnicity donating food and helping support each other. I felt a true sense of community for the first time since I was little,” Bixby explained as what stood out on the trip. “Just being there for one another, I saw a community that stood behind its members. I called Coach Fleck and Coach Wilt while we were in town and we had some very deep conversations on it. I also saw the player’s active in the marches as well. It was the support of the entire community, coaches and players included, that helped push me towards the decision of wanting to be a part of the program.”

----

“Beyond the culture, coaching staff, facilities or community aspects that I touched on earlier; it ultimately felt like home. I grew up going to games at Minnesota, spring practices and spring games as a kid. I remember eating dinner with Mike Sherels and the team one time when I was about 7 years old. I grew up getting balls signed by Gopher players, I had a custom Ra'Shede Hageman jersey as well when I was younger. I've always grown up loving the state of Minnesota. We've lived out of the state now for about half my life but once I stepped on campus in June it just felt like being home.”
Post #: 12253
RE: Gopher Football - 8/18/2020 10:51:37 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

From the interview:

St. Edward (OH) defensive end Trey Bixby became the first commitment in the 2022 recruiting class for P.J. Fleck and the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. Though he resides in Ohio now, Trey was born in the state of Minnesota and spent much of his young life there before moving a few times to ultimately arrive in the Buckeye state. Despite being only a junior-to-be, Trey felt the time was right to end his recruitment and chose to commit to Minnesota for a few key reasons.

----

“I saw a community really rallying and uplifting each other during that time. I went to the George Floyd memorial site and we saw people of every race and ethnicity donating food and helping support each other. I felt a true sense of community for the first time since I was little,” Bixby explained as what stood out on the trip. “Just being there for one another, I saw a community that stood behind its members. I called Coach Fleck and Coach Wilt while we were in town and we had some very deep conversations on it. I also saw the player’s active in the marches as well. It was the support of the entire community, coaches and players included, that helped push me towards the decision of wanting to be a part of the program.”

----

“Beyond the culture, coaching staff, facilities or community aspects that I touched on earlier; it ultimately felt like home. I grew up going to games at Minnesota, spring practices and spring games as a kid. I remember eating dinner with Mike Sherels and the team one time when I was about 7 years old. I grew up getting balls signed by Gopher players, I had a custom Ra'Shede Hageman jersey as well when I was younger. I've always grown up loving the state of Minnesota. We've lived out of the state now for about half my life but once I stepped on campus in June it just felt like being home.”

Despite being so early it seems like the commitment should be very firm.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12254
RE: Gopher Football - 8/24/2020 4:22:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

Too many of these kids have been changing they're minds this past year to take a HS sophmores' commitment seriously.

But I hope he honors his early commitment.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 12255
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2020 8:02:05 AM   
Mr. Ed

Rumors are that NOW the B10 is considering starting Thanksgiving weekend.

Perhaps they're going to observe the rest that are playing? Seems like they are not sure of the first decision.

NEB players suing over the cancellation. Go for it.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12256
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2020 8:21:05 AM   
TJSweens

Maybe they erred on the side of caution with their first decision. Given the outbreaks on college campuses, you can't say it was a bad decision. They can always adjust as you get more information.

The players in Lincoln are dumb as ass.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12257
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2020 10:59:15 AM   
Bill Jandro

What these Universities are struggling with is the fact that football is their cash cow.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 12258
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2020 1:52:18 PM   
SoMnFan

Cave in to pressure from a couple of the golden geese, B10.
Not surprised.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12259
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2020 2:15:10 PM   
Mr. Ed

Former chicago tribune sportswriter today (SEPT1)

So much for #B1G season options of T'Giving; Jan/Feb; spring

Just spoke to one who said: "We're trying to play as soon as possible. Let's go."

"one" referenced a coach

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 9/1/2020 2:16:31 PM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12260
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2020 2:55:49 PM   
Steve Lentz

Dan Patrick...
From Source:
If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.

Hmmmmmm.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 12261
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2020 2:59:03 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Dan Patrick...
From Source:
If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.

Hmmmmmm.

Seeing the other conferences getting ready.

Want some revenue...somehow...

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12262
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2020 3:25:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

Take ISU for example
Iowa State plans to allow 25,000 fans into football opener, even though Iowa is a covid hotbed

Iowa State announced Monday that it will allow approximately 25,000 fans into Jack Trice Stadium for the Cyclones’ season-opening football game against Louisiana on Sept. 12, even though the state of Iowa has seen its number of coronavirus cases skyrocket in recent weeks.

According to The Washington Post’s state-by-state database, Iowa has seen a 92 percent increase in new coronavirus cases over the past week, the second-highest rise in the country behind South Dakota. Iowa’s seven-day average of new coronavirus cases stands at 241 per 100,000 residents, the highest among the 50 U.S. states.

In Story County, home to Iowa State’s campus, the seven-day average of new cases per 100,000 residents is 777, nearly a fourfold increase from just a week ago and one of the highest rates in the nation for one county. On Aug. 14, that number hovered around only 50 new cases per 100,000 residents.

HERD IMMUNITY

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12263
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2020 11:38:30 AM   
Mr. Ed

The
@Freep
has learned Minnesota offensive lineman Curtis Dunlap, an All-Big Ten honorable mention selection as a freshman, has entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12264
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2020 11:46:36 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

The
@Freep
has learned Minnesota offensive lineman Curtis Dunlap, an All-Big Ten honorable mention selection as a freshman, has entered the NCAA transfer portal.

With everything going on and football in question, he wants to be closer to home.

Hard to blame him.
Post #: 12265
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2020 12:29:06 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

The
@Freep

With everything going on and football in question, he wants to be closer to home.

Hard to blame him.

Going to be happening more and more in many programs.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 12266
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2020 11:40:01 AM   
David Levine

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

New data helps illustrate what Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren might have meant when he described “too much medical uncertainty and too many unknown health risks” as reasons for postponing the Big Ten’s 2020-21 fall sports season.

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”

A day before the Big Ten announced its decision to postpone its fall sports season on Aug. 11, ESPN reported that the long-term effects of myocarditis had been discussed in meetings of presidents and chancellors, commissioners and athletic directors, and health advisory board members from the Big Ten and other conferences around the country.

“You could have a very high-level athlete who’s got a very superior VO2 max and cardiac output who gets infected with COVID and can drop his or her VO2 max and cardiac output just by 10 percent, and that could make them go from elite status to average status,” Sebastianelli said. “We don’t know that. We don’t know how long that’s going to last. What we have seen is when people have been studied with cardiac MRI scans — symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID infections — is a level of inflammation in cardiac muscle that just is alarming.”

Neither Penn State nor the Big Ten responded to the Centre Daily Times’ requests for comment.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article245448050.html
Post #: 12267
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2020 3:44:04 PM   
David Levine

Big!!

9/2 UPDATE @ 5:30 P.M. CT: Rivals.com first reported — and 247 Sports has since confirmed, as well — that Curtis Dunlap has withdrawn from the transfer portal and will remain at Minnesota.
Post #: 12268
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2020 4:10:42 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Big!!

9/2 UPDATE @ 5:30 P.M. CT: Rivals.com first reported — and 247 Sports has since confirmed, as well — that Curtis Dunlap has withdrawn from the transfer portal and will remain at Minnesota.

Maybe because there is some sort of season?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 12269
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2020 5:33:27 PM   
twinsfan

They ain't too bright down in Ames.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12270
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2020 6:31:55 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

They will apparently not allow fans now due to increasing Covid numbers

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12271
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2020 11:02:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

They will apparently not allow fans now due to increasing Covid numbers

Good.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12272
RE: Gopher Football - 9/12/2020 4:34:35 PM   
twinsfan

The ACC is willing to call off its 2020 football season if more than 50 percent of its teams are unable to finish out their schedules as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, ESPN’s Andrea Adelson reported Saturday. The conference has postponed two games as a result of the virus, both involving Virginia Tech.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12273
RE: Gopher Football - 9/14/2020 8:28:10 AM  1 votes
Mr. Ed

So apparently.........

The Big Ten is set to approve starting the fall football season on October 17. The news was first reported by Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel who spoke to sources familiar with the situation. The Big Ten Medical Subcommittee presented new avenues on Saturday, and it appears to have given the Big Ten’s Steering Committee comfortability with resuming

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12274
RE: Gopher Football - 9/14/2020 12:40:25 PM   
SoMnFan

The Buckeyes and Cornhuskers have spoken

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12275
Page:   <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode