Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  490 491 [492] 493 494   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 9/15/2020 11:32:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

May it be so.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 12276
RE: Gopher Football - 9/15/2020 11:59:30 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

The Buckeyes and Cornhuskers have spoken

That's true, but is it good? Buckeyes want a National Championship, Huskers want to get better.
Man I hope so.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 12277
RE: Gopher Football - 9/15/2020 2:33:20 PM   
David Levine

LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said Tuesday that most of his team has contracted COVID-19.

"Not all of our players, but most of our players have caught it," Orgeron told reporters. "I think that hopefully they won't catch it again, and hopefully they're not out for games."

Asked later for further clarification, Orgeron said he didn't know the exact percentage of players who have had the coronavirus.
Post #: 12278
RE: Gopher Football - 9/15/2020 4:03:06 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said Tuesday that most of his team has contracted COVID-19.

"Not all of our players, but most of our players have caught it," Orgeron told reporters. "I think that hopefully they won't catch it again, and hopefully they're not out for games."

Asked later for further clarification, Orgeron said he didn't know the exact percentage of players who have had the coronavirus.

Stupid hoax stuff.
It'll all be over soon.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12279
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 9:11:47 AM   
Mr. Ed

Big Ten football will return the weekend of Oct. 24, the conference announced Wednesday morning, with a slate of new protocols for player safety, including daily COVID testing.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12280
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 9:28:30 AM  1 votes
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Big Ten football will return the weekend of Oct. 24, the conference announced Wednesday morning, with a slate of new protocols for player safety, including daily COVID testing.

That's cool. Too bad we don't have Daily Testing for people with real important jobs.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 12281
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 9:31:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

That's cool. Too bad we don't have Daily Testing for people with real important jobs.

THIS

The NFL pretty much the same. Test, results next day, re-test, results next day.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12282
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 9:32:51 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

THIS

The NFL pretty much the same. Test, results next day, re-test, results next day.

Money talks, shit walks.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12283
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 9:34:32 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

THIS

Money talks, shit walks.

You are correct sir.

The MNSHSL is catching flack for jacking member rates because....revenue sports are not being played.

So, what's next? Oh, reconsidering playing revenue producing sports this fall.

Follow the money.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12284
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 11:09:01 AM   
SoMnFan

Are they also working to change the B10 commissioners nameplate on his office door, to
Husker/Buckeye Bitch?

Asking for a friend

Not a good look. Not a good look.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12285
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 11:31:34 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

THIS

Money talks, shit walks.

You are correct sir.

The MNSHSL is catching flack for jacking member rates because....revenue sports are not being played.

So, what's next? Oh, reconsidering playing revenue producing sports this fall.

Follow the money.

Without fans there's no revenue.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 12286
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 11:47:10 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Are they also working to change the B10 commissioners nameplate on his office door, to
Husker/Buckeye Bitch?

Ex-Vikings front office guy.

Not doing so well so far.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12287
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 12:26:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

Video on ESPN says

Article on the return:

What was the most important factor in the Big Ten voting to play?
The medical information and resources around COVID-19 improved significantly, especially the availability of rapid-testing programs. Big Ten teams had several outbreaks during the summer, and contact tracing had been a significant obstacle without rapid testing in place. Many wondered how schools such as Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois and Maryland would ever get around their state restrictions to practice in pads and eventually play. The emergence of several reliable rapid-testing options eased concerns about contact tracing, and increased confidence about having minimal interruptions during the regular season, which can't afford too many bumps if the Big Ten wants to be part of the College Football Playoff.

What happened in the meetings and how was the vote decided?
The return-to-play conversations began in earnest Saturday, with a medical presentation to a steering committee comprised of eight presidents and chancellors. That group served as a buffer, and was impressed enough that it called a full board meeting with all 14 presidents and chancellors Sunday.

The marathon meeting Sunday, which included a three-part presentation from each of the Big Ten's return to competition task force subcommittees, was again focused on the updated medical information, as the league had cited medical reasons for its initial postponement. The medical subcommittee presented at least four new rapid-testing options and how the developments will ease some of the challenges around contact tracing. Presidents and chancellors also heard about the potential football schedule and how it will work with the Big Ten's television agreements. A start date during the weekend of Oct. 17 was discussed before deciding on the weekend of Oct. 24.

Could some Big Ten teams still not play this fall?
All 14 Big Ten teams will attempt to play. The developments around rapid testing have eased concerns of schools in areas with more restrictions around contact and gatherings. Wisconsin last week announced a two-week pause for all football activities, but the break is set to end next week, and athletic director Barry Alvarez and coach Paul Chryst think the team needs only three additional weeks to be ready for competition. Maryland, which paused activities Sept. 3, resumed football practices late last week.

During a news conference Monday, Wisconsin chancellor Rebecca Blank said all of the schools were going to "move together."

"We're all going to play or not if we possibly can," she said. "This isn't going to be a school-by-school thing."

Could the Big Ten be ready in time for the College Football Playoff?
With a late October start date, the Big Ten can still finish its season and crown a champion in time to be considered for a semifinal spot, but it has to be approved by the playoff's management committee. All 10 of the FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick would determine whether the Big Ten can rejoin the CFP. ACC commissioner John Swofford, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby will carry the most weight in the room, as they will have navigated their leagues through longer schedules. It would be difficult for them to say no, but they probably won't be thrilled with the Big Ten playing a shortened season.

Can players who opted out of Big Ten season come back?
If a player has opted out for the season, but has not hired an agent, that player is still eligible and can return. The NCAA and conferences have made it clear that players can opt out without any repercussions to their eligibility and to their scholarship. If a player decides to declare for the draft and hires an agent, however, is where it gets tricky. A student-athlete who hires an agent is technically ruled ineligible by the NCAA.
There is an opportunity for the student-athlete to regain eligibility, but it is on a case-by-case scenario. Depending on what was exchanged and what the details are with the athlete and the agent, the student-athlete and his school can try to go through the Student-Athlete Reinstatement process to gain eligibility back for this season. Because this is a unique scenario, there could be exceptions made, but the NCAA has not announced any specific rule changes or adaptations given the Big Ten's situation as of now.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12288
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 12:27:43 PM   
Mr. Ed

Notable Big Ten Players Opting Out And Declaring For 2021 NFL Draft
POSITION/PLAYER TODD MCSHAY RANKING
LB Micah Parsons, Penn State 5th
WR Rashod Bateman, Minnesota 7th
CB Shaun Wade, Ohio State 13th
C Rashawn Slater, Northwestern 28th
G Wyatt Davis, Ohio State 30th
WR Rondale Morre, Purdue 46th
OT Jalen Mayfield, Michigan No. 7 OT
CB Ambry Thomas, Michigan N/A

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12289
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 12:55:12 PM   
Brad H

Big Ten football returning is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 12290
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 1:12:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

When can we expect Pac 12 to follow?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12291
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 1:28:19 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

I wonder if some will change their mind again? That is if they haven't signed with an agent or whatever NCAA rules there are.

Post #: 12292
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 1:33:58 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

I wonder if some will change their mind again? That is if they haven't signed with an agent or whatever NCAA rules there are.

I doubt it. I think that list is only going to grow.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12293
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 2:14:56 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Nope. I don't expect it. A different set of values in the west. They don't make the kind of dollar figures that Big Ten football makes. It's more about education. I'm sure the topic will come up, but unless there is significant testing protocols and safeguards in place, football will not happen.

In addition, most of the colleges out west are online this semester. It's pretty tough to say that kids can't be on campus and then make an exception for the football team. It's also pretty challenging with the air quality right now. Oregon and Oregon State have bigger fish to fry.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 9/16/2020 2:19:39 PM >

Post #: 12294
RE: Gopher Football - 9/16/2020 10:28:43 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope. I don't expect it. A different set of values in the west. They don't make the kind of dollar figures that Big Ten football makes. It's more about education. I'm sure the topic will come up, but unless there is significant testing protocols and safeguards in place, football will not happen.

In addition, most of the colleges out west are online this semester. It's pretty tough to say that kids can't be on campus and then make an exception for the football team. It's also pretty challenging with the air quality right now. Oregon and Oregon State have bigger fish to fry.

Pac 12 already taking steps to play football again.

Post #: 12295
RE: Gopher Football - 9/17/2020 4:54:03 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pac 12 already taking steps to play football again.

Not gonna lie, that totally surprises me. I wish I were a fly on the wall to know the sudden change of heart. It seems totally antithetical to every thing they've been saying for months.

Then again, it is the governors saying there is nothing in place to stop them from playing. The presidents of the schools still have to give a thumb's up. And like I said, if you aren't allowing kids on campus because a virus, I don't know how you make an exception for student-athletes.

As someone who lives out west, I can only say this. There hasn't been a lot of buzz about Pac 12 football returning. I haven't heard the outrage from players or fans that we heard from Big Ten programs.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 9/17/2020 5:08:46 AM >

Post #: 12296
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2020 10:54:47 AM   
Mr. Ed

Bateman wants to play, per Strib

Has reportedly enrolled

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12297
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2020 11:00:38 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Bateman wants to play, per Strib

Has reportedly enrolled

You beat me to the punch. It looks like he has applied and it's pending.

JUST IN: I have confirmed with Rashod Bateman's agent, Blake Baratz, that Bateman does want to return to #Gophers and play this season. NCAA will have to rule.

NCAA rules prohibit athletes from entering into an agreement with anyone, written or verbal, for representation.

(Seth Kaplan on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 12298
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2020 11:07:45 AM   
TJSweens

I have a feeling the NCAA will make exceptions for players who made their decisions based on being shut down for covid.

Post #: 12299
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2020 11:30:51 AM   
twinsfan

Bateman the QUITTER wants back. Don't be so quick to hope he's allowed to be a 2020 Gopher!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12300
Page:   <<   < prev  490 491 [492] 493 494   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  490 491 [492] 493 494   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode