Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 4:19:43 PM   
El Duderino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

The ugly side is going to be lined with that beautiful Minnesota limestone, isn't it? (like Target Field)

Nope.

There will be lots of glass in the walls, with most of the rest of the exterior covered by a zinc material that architects say will change color in different light.

Source

The Dude Abides
Post #: 126
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 4:21:08 PM   
Prescott

quote:

such as the closest seats to the action in the NFL, or the huge event plaza, or the skyway connection to parking and LRT, or the two biggest HD scoreboards in the NFL, or the 1200 HD TVs around the building, etc.

Those are all the things that matter to me. Then again, they could do all that regardless of what it looks like from the outside. My first reaction was the same as some, it's ugly. But then again, throw some lights and purple on it, and who cares. It's the interior of the game day experience that matters, not if it looks like a Jawa Sandcrawler.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 127
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 4:49:08 PM   
Murph

Don't hate it or love it, just really, really happy it's being built in Minnesota!!
Post #: 128
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:09:42 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Impossible to build one that everyone will love at first glance. I'm happy that it's something that can be used year round. Building a retractable roof would have been so expensive for the sake of 10 Viking games. I'm glad they saved their money and still yielded something that feels more open.

Some reason a retractable roof could only be retracted for Vikings games?
Post #: 129
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:12:56 PM   
El Duderino

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Impossible to build one that everyone will love at first glance. I'm happy that it's something that can be used year round. Building a retractable roof would have been so expensive for the sake of 10 Viking games. I'm glad they saved their money and still yielded something that feels more open.

They certainly wouldn't open it for a super bowl or a final four.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 130
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:15:19 PM   
TheGonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

I don't see the resemblance to Marlins Park at all.

Well, the new Vikings' stadium will actually have fans in the stands, presumably.

The question is not "Who will let me?" Rather, the question is "Who will stop me?"
Post #: 131
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:16:29 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Concerts would prefer to be open air if the weather allowed I'm sure. And what if the Superbowl was like 40 degrees out sunny and no wind?
Post #: 132
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:21:54 PM   
David Levine

quote:

And what if the Superbowl was like 40 degrees out sunny and no wind?

40 degrees?

Realizing that most of the crowd is from out of town.

They'd want it closed.
Post #: 133
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:31:47 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Concerts would prefer to be open air if the weather allowed I'm sure. And what if the Superbowl was like 40 degrees out sunny and no wind?

Usually you are either out on a stadium tour or an arena tour .. very little mixing due to the production responsibilties unless you are a major act with two entourages piggybacking across the country.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 134
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:38:24 PM   
TheGonz

It will be interesting to see how this ETFE stuff works acoustically. We know that the Dome was loud and everything. . .will this substance that the roof is being made out of dampen the crowd noise at all?

I'm not sure how many roofs this stuff has been a part of. But it is the one of the main substances in the Allianz Arena in Germany. Check this out:

The red look is for when Bayern Munich plays at home. The blue is for when 1860 Munchen uses the stadium, and the white is for when the German National Team is using it.

< Message edited by TheGonz -- 5/14/2013 5:39:32 PM >

The question is not "Who will let me?" Rather, the question is "Who will stop me?"
Post #: 135
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:42:46 PM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

40 degrees?

They'd want it closed.

I believe they let the team set the rules on the temperature during the regular season, but playoffs go under the NFL rules which are ridiculous. I think the Arizona stadium had to be closed and air conditioned if it's over 70 degrees.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 136
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 5:55:24 PM   
TheGonz

Should have just done a Google search, it appears.

quote:

Acoustic properties: ETFE cushions are acoustically fairly transparent and act as sound absorbers. This quality can be advantageous when used in a building with recreational or other loud uses, since sound will not be reflected back into the building. Since the cushions are tensile, the sound of rain hitting rooftop ETFE cushions has been compared to that of rain hitting a drum.

Post #: 137
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 6:03:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

40 degrees?

They'd want it closed.

I believe they let the team set the rules on the temperature during the regular season, but playoffs go under the NFL rules which are ridiculous. I think the Arizona stadium had to be closed and air conditioned if it's over 70 degrees.

Correct.

And the Colts close Lucas Oil at 40 degrees or colder (although if it looks like rain or snow, they keep it closed even if warmer).
Post #: 138
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 7:32:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Usually you are either out on a stadium tour or an arena tour .. very little mixing due to the production responsibilties unless you are a major act with two entourages piggybacking across the country.

So an open air stadium tour would not schedule a venue that could close the roof if the weather was bad.
Post #: 139
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 8:03:43 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So an open air stadium tour would not schedule a venue that could close the roof if the weather was bad.

An arena tour would not schedule a stadium.
A stadium tour plays rain or shine.
It's not a matter of preference regarding the roof.
It's all about how many butts they can put in the seats.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 140
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 8:11:20 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So an open air stadium tour would only schedule a venue that could close the roof if it was guaranteed that the roof WOULD NOT be closed.
Post #: 141
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 9:23:18 PM   
marty

I heard from somebody who has a daughter that lives in San Diego, and she said that San Diego couldn't host a Super Bowl because it didn't seat enough people. Their stadium holds over 71,000 people.

If this is true, it is then true that the Vikes' new stadium won't be able to host a SB ?
Post #: 142
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 9:39:09 PM   
Ian Joseph

She left out the part where the stadium is old, doesn't have great amenities and has a horrible parking and traffic flow situation. That's why San Diego isn't hosting any more super bowls.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 143
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 9:44:31 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So an open air stadium tour would only schedule a venue that could close the roof if it was guaranteed that the roof WOULD NOT be closed.

No ... you said they would prefer it but in reality they don't care.
Maybe I'm missing the true intent of your post.

Post #: 144
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 9:45:59 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

She left out the part where the stadium is old, doesn't have great amenities and has a horrible parking and traffic flow situation. That's why San Diego isn't hosting any more super bowls.

And it's a POS.
I think 70K is the minimum for a SB.
Vikings new stadium capacity can be raised to 73K.

Post #: 145
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 11:45:19 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I heard from somebody who has a daughter that lives in San Diego, and she said that San Diego couldn't host a Super Bowl because it didn't seat enough people. Their stadium holds over 71,000 people.

If this is true, it is then true that the Vikes' new stadium won't be able to host a SB ?

Sorry Marty not true at all.

Paul Tagliabue came to town in January of 2003 for the Super Bowl where Tampa clubbed the Raiders, and told everyone that would listen that the city of San Diego would have to build a new stadium if they ever hoped to get another Super Bowl. Awful Locker rooms, Luxury suites, press facilities, water pipes leaking underneath the stadium were just some reasons given as to why the NFL will not be embarrassed again in it's greatest show of the year.

Had absolutely NOTHING to do with capacity.
Post #: 146
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/15/2013 12:03:36 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No ... you said they would prefer it but in reality they don't care.
Maybe I'm missing the true intent of your post.

Well if you go back to the original point that IF the stadium roof was retractable it would only be retracted for Vikings games, the direction of these posts kind of got lost in the minutiae.
Post #: 147
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/15/2013 7:33:48 AM   
Ed_Marotske

Was lurking on a Packer Board to get some reaction to the Viking stadium....those guys are never happy.  Remember....Lameblow is the Mecca of football, or so they think!  LOL
Post #: 148
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/15/2013 7:35:09 AM   
marty

Thanks Ian and Kurt, I wasn't really sure and was wondering if the Vikes new stadium would have the seating capacity for a SB. Thanks.
Post #: 149
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/15/2013 7:45:46 AM   
TheGonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ed_Marotske

Was lurking on a Packer Board to get some reaction to the Viking stadium....those guys are never happy.  Remember....Lameblow is the Mecca of football, or so they think!  LOL

The opinions of the fans of the Packers. . .and 30 other NFL teams. . .about the Vikings' new stadium mean somewhere between Jack and Squat, and I'm pretty sure I just saw Jack leave the room.

The stadium isn't for them. It's for us. And most of us. . .the people that matter. . .think it's pretty damn sweet.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode