Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  517 518 [519] 520 521   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/15/2021 8:22:10 AM   
Mr. Ed

Mets apparently about to get Brad Hand to go w/May to improve their bullpen.

And the Twins? Gretl and

Apparently they're hung up on waiting on Cruz and Kluber.
SMH

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12951
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/15/2021 9:59:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

The Rays are planning to open the 2021 season with a limited number of fans attending games at Tropicana Field.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12952
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/15/2021 10:33:20 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Breaking news -Theo Epstein will join the commissioners office as a consultant regarding on field matters. MLB will announce today.

Hopefully will tell Manfred what a bad commissioner is and how MLB can start making up for all the gaffes.

Maybe he will advise MLB to let robots play the game.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12953
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2021 1:29:58 PM   
twinsfan

Here's how this year's HOF results look so far. These are early returns from those that chose to make their votes public:

Not much support for first-timers

Only one newcomer to the ballot has received double-digit votes to this point -- and seven of the 11 first-timers have yet to receive a single tally. Mark Buehrle is leading the way for first-timers with 13 votes, though it's already mathematically impossible for him to reach the 75-percent threshold this time around.

Tim Hudson and Torii Hunter have received six votes apiece, while Aramis Ramirez has a single vote. The other seven players appearing on the ballot for the first time -- A.J. Burnett, Michael Cuddyer, Dan Haren, LaTroy Hawkins, Nick Swisher, Shane Victorino and Barry Zito -- have not received a vote. Players who receive less than five percent of the total votes will drop off the ballot for next year.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12954
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2021 2:03:57 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Here's how this year's HOF results look so far. These are early returns from those that chose to make their votes public:

Not much support for first-timers

Only one newcomer to the ballot has received double-digit votes to this point -- and seven of the 11 first-timers have yet to receive a single tally. Mark Buehrle is leading the way for first-timers with 13 votes, though it's already mathematically impossible for him to reach the 75-percent threshold this time around.

Tim Hudson and Torii Hunter have received six votes apiece, while Aramis Ramirez has a single vote. The other seven players appearing on the ballot for the first time -- A.J. Burnett, Michael Cuddyer, Dan Haren, LaTroy Hawkins, Nick Swisher, Shane Victorino and Barry Zito -- have not received a vote. Players who receive less than five percent of the total votes will drop off the ballot for next year.

These are all guys who belong in the Hall of Guys Who Were Pretty Good. No real hall of famers in that bunch.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12955
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/20/2021 6:24:27 AM   
Mr. Ed

Springer signs 6 - year deal with Toronto

Twins nerd spin: At least he didn't sign with the White Sox

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12956
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2021 9:27:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

RIP

Hank Aaron

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12957
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2021 9:27:45 AM   
Mr. Ed

First ball glove I had was a Hank Aaron model. Dang

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12958
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2021 9:47:09 AM   
twinsfan

The former HR King RIP.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12959
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2021 9:51:24 AM   
TJSweens

The REAL HR King RIP.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12960
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2021 10:50:40 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The REAL HR King RIP.

The not steroid aided HR King.

RIP

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 12961
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/25/2021 12:46:04 PM   
Mr. Ed

Arizona’s Cactus League tells @MLB it wants to delay start of spring training because of Maricopa County’s high COVID infection rate. #12News

Jayson Stark:
You might think this would cause MLB to reconsider whether to open camps on time. Don’t bet on it.
The union will likely see this as a veiled attempt to shorten the season & not pay players’ full salaries. And spring training isn’t Arizona’s call. So this won’t change anything.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12962
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/26/2021 10:28:40 AM   
twinsfan

HOF announcements today.

I'm hearing some steam that Torii is gonna get over 5% and stay on the ballot next year.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12963
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/26/2021 10:29:46 AM   
twinsfan

Still can't get over how Johan only received 2.4%.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12964
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/27/2021 8:05:37 AM   
Boyd Tesch

No one got elected hoe crazy is that
Post #: 12965
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/27/2021 8:47:24 AM   
TJSweens

Refreshing to see. The bar has been lowered too much over the years.

Post #: 12966
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/27/2021 9:19:42 AM   
Brad H

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens belong in the Hall of Fame. Period.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 12967
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/28/2021 9:32:20 AM   
Mr. Ed

Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred was last seen not apologizing for throwing Justin Turner under the bus after the league somehow let a COVID positive player back on the field at the end of the World Series ... and before that acting in the best interests of owners, not the game, by imposing a 60-game season in 2020 ... and before that failing to adequately punish the Astros for cheating their way to the 2017 World Series.

That was all in 2020. Not a great year for Manfred.

And 2021 is already off to a bad start.

The Wall Street Journal reported this week that MLB owners want to "delay or even shorten the upcoming season" as the sport continues to navigate the fallout from the virus. The logic for delaying makes some sense: pushing things back, say, 30 days means tens of millions more vaccine doses in circulation before things start and could promote a safer environment.

If the sentiment was merely safety-based, perhaps it would be a win-win. It might mean a neutral site World Series again, since the postseason would probably extend into mid-November even with a lot of doubleheaders in the regular season, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. In fact, a permanent neutral site World Series might make a lot of sense.

But these are owners. And this is Manfred. So it's probably about money, isn't it?

Again, from the WSJ: The reason the owners want to alter the schedule is obvious: It could net them hundreds of millions of dollars if they wait until more fans can safely attend.

There's just one problem: MLB has no real leg to stand on when it comes to trying to enforce a later start to the season or shortened season. And the players' association, after a truncated season with severely truncated pay in 2020, is in no mood to play less than 162 games.

The Journal notes that there could be a compromise that both sides can live with: A delayed start — let's say by 30 days — that still allows them to get 162 games in, thereby ensuring full pay. If players agree to anything like that, though, they had better get all the signatures confirming full pay in triplicate.

Once you delay a season, it becomes easier to delay it again. And once you do that, you leave owners an opening to come back to the negotiating table.

MLB's "only realistic path to delay the season runs through federal and local officials," per the Journal. And here's where it potentially gets really contentious. High-ranking local officials in Arizona and with the Cactus League — the spring training home of 15 teams — DID recently write a letter suggesting that because of COVID spikes in Arizona they think delaying spring training (and therefore the season) is a smart move.

Again, if health and good public policy were the only things at play here, we might be applauding. Arizona, and particularly the largely populated Maricopa County, has been among the biggest coronavirus hot spots in the United States. Case rates are going down now, but Maricopa County had as many as 7,000 new cases in a single day earlier this month and is still seeing 3,000-4,000 new cases daily. (The entire state of Minnesota, by contrast, had 851 new cases on Wednesday).

But The Athletic, citing multiple anonymous sources, reported that MLB encouraged those officials to write that letter for the express purpose of pressuring players. As noted in the piece, the NHL's Coyotes and NBA's Suns are still playing — indoors, no less.

Per one source quoted in The Athletic, talking about a representative from MLB who reportedly was in a Jan. 13 Zoom meeting with Cactus League officials: "The representative was very direct. They believe it is time to push off spring training for a month, but they're having problems with the players because a change would be necessary to the CBA for that to happen. He supported a letter to put pressure on players to push back spring training, a full month. I felt it was made explicitly clear that the owners are supportive of this. And that they would like a delay of the season."

It's shocking, I know, that Manfred — a former labor lawyer who worked as outside counsel for MLB's owners during the 1994-95 dispute that wiped out the 1994 World Series and who subsequently negotiated a series of contentious labor deals before owners voted him in as commissioner in 2015 — seems to be presiding over another money grab on behalf of billionaires.

It's entirely possible the right thing will happen for the wrong reasons in this case. A delay to spring training, but a commitment to playing 162 games, might be the best idea.

The tug-of-war has been percolating all offseason, as our Phil Miller recently wrote. But with camps just a few weeks away from opening, it's coming to a head now.

Regardless of how this plays out in the short term, players have to be looking at this all with suspicion. With the current CBA set to expire after this season it's all just one more reason to wonder what lies ahead in baseball's labor wars in 2022.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12968
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/31/2021 6:39:20 PM   
Mr. Ed

Under MLB's proposal, spring training would start March 22nd, and the regular season April 28, with the postseason carrying over into November.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12969
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/1/2021 2:17:07 PM   
twinsfan

Dustin Pedroia has retired. See you in Cooperstown!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12970
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/1/2021 3:50:03 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Dustin Pedroia has retired. See you in Cooperstown!

As recently as January 2020, Pedroia planned to return to the baseball field, working with the Red Sox training staff to rehabilitate his knee. After waking up one morning with his knee once again swelling, he learned that he would need a partial knee replacement. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the surgery was delayed until December 2020.

"I wasn't in a good place. I grinded every day just to be able to play with my kids and just live a normal life," Pedroia said. "My knee was bad, and I'm a young guy. I had the surgery, and a week later, I could tell I could walk without pain. I could do everything except run. I can't run anymore, but who needs that. Once I had the surgery, nobody had ever played with a partial knee replacement. If it breaks, my life would be severely impacted by it."

He continued: "It wasn't physically possible for me to continue to play baseball with the partial knee replacement, so once I got that done, I knew."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12971
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/18/2021 6:58:59 AM   
Mr. Ed

14 year deal for Tatis

Tebow retires.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12972
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/18/2021 1:00:51 PM   
Mr. Ed

The contract that keeps on giving appears again with the Tatis deal

Years left on contract:

14 - Fernando Tatis Jr.

15 - Bobby Bonilla

The former is 22. The latter is 57.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12973
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/18/2021 1:09:02 PM   
Mr. Ed

Blue Jays will apparently play 2021 home games in Florida.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12974
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/23/2021 10:57:28 AM   
twinsfan

Mather apologized for his comments on Sunday, saying he had "no excuse."

"I want to apologize to every member of the Seattle Mariners organization, especially our players and to our fans. There is no excuse for my behavior, and I take full responsibility for my terrible lapse in judgment," Mather said in statement. "My comments were my own. They do not reflect the views and strategy of the Mariners baseball leadership who are responsible for decisions about the development and status of the players at all levels of the organization."

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12975
Page:   <<   < prev  517 518 [519] 520 521   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  517 518 [519] 520 521   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode