Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Around the NFL

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Around the NFL - 4/23/2017 8:30:07 AM  1 votes
Lynn G.

I guess I couldn't argue against that because I am for people with advanced, fatal illnesses having the option for assisted suicide, so it isn't much different to make that offer to lifers in prison. I don't see it happening, but the conversation is worthwhile.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1776
RE: Around the NFL - 4/23/2017 9:12:05 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

You forget that prisons are run for profit in this country... live bodies locked up for petty crimes for months or years=corporate profits

Lifers = liftetime income

Allowing assisted suicide would be stealing corporate profits..

Never gonna happen.

Ever.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1777
RE: Around the NFL - 4/23/2017 9:33:37 AM   
Lynn G.

True, Dan, although thankfully the momentum seems to be swinging AWAY from for-profit prisons. Unless I just have that impression because I am in a bubble surrounded by sane/smart people.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1778
RE: Around the NFL - 4/26/2017 3:39:40 PM   
SoMnFan

I love it when people talk honestly about race.
Gentleman on ESPN today with a fascinating discussion of the numbers when it comes to football.
And good discussion of why there are rarely Black centers/punters/kickers.
Crazy to think that Jason Seahorn was the last of the Mohicans. No White cornerbacks since Jason Seahorn.
That's fascinating to me.
Post #: 1779
RE: Around the NFL - 4/28/2017 1:53:01 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I love it when people talk honestly about race.
Gentleman on ESPN today with a fascinating discussion of the numbers when it comes to football.
And good discussion of why there are rarely Black centers/punters/kickers.
Crazy to think that Jason Seahorn was the last of the Mohicans. No White cornerbacks since Jason Seahorn.
That's fascinating to me.

I am also fascinated by this subject. I have been boycotting ESPN for quite some time, so I didn't see the piece, but the subject is very interesting and not talked about enough.

Genetics, pedigree, privilege, stereotypes, fear all play a role.

Still not sure we completely cleared the hurdle on the notion that a black QB can be more than just an athlete.

And not one more Seahorn? Really?

As much as we all love this NFL, the system is adverse (or very slow) to change. Here's how it was, here's how it is.
Personally, I think this way of thinking holds organizations back. Job security, follow the blueprint, don't take chances, etc...... Great. Right after we get driverless cars on the road we should be able to get coachless teams on the field.

Take a chance. Standout. Stop conforming, especially to yesterday. Innovation, leaders and even renegades are desperately needed.

I recently had a discussion with an acquaintance about non-American (player) basketball recruiting. The entire continent of Africa apparently does not have a serious PG candidate. Sure, we'll look at your 7 footers, but we're not interested in the 6'-7" sixteen year old that handles the ball and runs an offense like Rod Strickland.

Not sure what exactly is going on with this, but it reminds me a little bit of how black QB's were (are ?) perceived.

Genetics, race, pedigree, privilege, socioeconomics, politics all play a role in sports. We should be able to discuss these things.

Thirty years ago, Jimmy Snyder, in his uniquely clumsy way, opened a door. Rather than take advantage of that open door and peek inside, we slammed it shut.

It's okay to ask why. Why only one Seahorn. Why so few black QB's. (Recent past). Why Coleman, Roby and King? Why such defined roles in sports seemingly based primarily on pigmentation?
Post #: 1780
RE: Around the NFL - 4/28/2017 3:21:27 PM   
SoMnFan

Thanks JT
Post #: 1781
RE: Around the NFL - 6/9/2017 11:08:48 AM   
JC2015

The difference between the Warriors and the Seahawks: GS forgave Green for costing them a title, apparently Richard Sherman never forgave Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19581798/zach-lowe-golden-state-warriors-forgiving-draymond-green-2017-nba-finals

If the Vikings don't make the playoffs this year Zimmer and Spielman should be gone
Post #: 1782
RE: Around the NFL - 7/16/2017 5:47:32 PM   
SoMnFan

Jusssssssst cannot help themselves somedays ......

Houston Texans running back D'Onta Foreman was arrested in Austin, Texas, early Sunday morning and charged with marijuana possession and unlawful carrying of a weapon, both misdemeanors.

According to the University of Texas police department, officers initially responded to a report of marijuana smell coming from three cars parked outside a residence hall at 12:24 a.m. Sunday.

Foreman, whom police described as the owner of the firearm, was taken into custody and later released on bond. Six other men were cited for possession of marijuana and released.

Foreman's attorney, Chip B. Lewis, said in a statement that the running back was in Austin to visit friends, possessed the handgun legally and that he did not use the marijuana, which was not his, but belonged to a passenger in the vehicle.
Post #: 1783
RE: Around the NFL - 7/17/2017 8:03:22 AM   
Ian Joseph

Not to be upstaged by another young Texas running back, Ezekiel Elliott just had a bar fight last night. Me thinks he's got anger management issues.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1784
RE: Around the NFL - 7/17/2017 12:22:17 PM   
Bill Jandro

Elliot is still under investigation for a domestic violence incident. Goodell has been cracking down hard on that.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1785
RE: Around the NFL - 7/17/2017 1:32:34 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Elliot is still under investigation for a domestic violence incident. Goodell has been cracking down hard on that.

Last night was non-domestic
Always good to diversify
Post #: 1786
RE: Around the NFL - 7/30/2017 8:56:14 AM   
JC2015

Top 25 CBs in NFL History by sorry sack Bleecher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721897-nfl-nostalgia-ranking-the-best-shutdown-cornerbacks-in-history?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Lester Hayes at #25 is a joke

No Charles Woodson on the list either

If the Vikings don't make the playoffs this year Zimmer and Spielman should be gone
Post #: 1787
RE: Around the NFL - 7/30/2017 12:02:58 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2015

Top 25 CBs in NFL History by sorry sack Bleecher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721897-nfl-nostalgia-ranking-the-best-shutdown-cornerbacks-in-history?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Lester Hayes at #25 is a joke

No Charles Woodson on the list either

I'm not feeling that list, either. I'm not sure anybody that (mostly) played in the NFL before the 80s should be on that list, since the passing game wasn't nearly as prolific as now.

Its not to say they weren't good cornerbacks, but the game didn't specifically tilt towards them like it has since guys like Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly and John Elway took the field.

Hayes is way too low. I'm not sure Ronnie Lott belongs on that list at all nor do TWO GUYS sharing position 23. I also would have liked to see Merton Hanks, Eric Davis and maybe Antoine Winfield.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 7/30/2017 12:09:18 PM >

Believe.
Post #: 1788
RE: Around the NFL - 7/30/2017 3:14:00 PM   
JC2015

Lott was a brilliant player but most of his career was at Free Safety.

81 was really his only great year at CB

How about that 79 USC secondary of Ronnie Lott, Joey Browner, Dennis Smith, and Marcus Allen!

Amazing talent

You wonder who writes this stuff

Woodson has to be on the list

Post #: 1789
RE: Around the NFL - 8/3/2017 6:56:45 AM   
Bill Jandro

ESPN reported Wednesday that Ravens coach John Harbaugh and general manager Ozzie Newsome are both in favor of signing Kaepernick to provide insurance as starting quarterback Joe Flacco deals with a back injury, but owner Steve Bisciotti has resisted the idea.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/02/ravens-are-now-the-face-of-nfls-colin-kaepernick-problem/

Post #: 1790
RE: Around the NFL - 8/5/2017 10:30:27 AM   
Bill Jandro

Tannahill to have possible season ending knee surgery.

Cutler appears to be the front runner due to his relationship with HC Adam Gates

Post #: 1791
RE: Around the NFL - 8/6/2017 10:13:15 AM   
JC2015

quote:

10 ILLEGAL things you can do and STILL play in the NFL:

1. Homicide - Ray Lewis, Donte
Stallworth
2. Child Abuse - Adrian Peterson
3. Rape - Ben Roethlisberger, Darrell
Russell, Josh McNary
4. Domestic Violence - VERY LONG
LIST
5. Lewd Public Sex - Minnesota
Vikings sex boat
6. Dogfighting - Michael Vick
7. Drugs - VERY LONG LIST
8. DUI/DWI - VERY LONG LIST
9. Illegal Gun Possession - VERY
LONG LIST
10. Theft - Joseph Randle, Mike
Vrable, Darren Hambrick

3 things you CAN do to CHEAT the game and STILL play in the NFL:
1. Spy on other teams
2. Alter the equipment
3. Use PEDs (Shawne Merriman was
suspended for steroids the season
he was selected MVP)

ONE LEGAL thing you CANNOT do and STILL play in the NFL:
1. Peacefully exercise your 1st
Amendment Rights. Colin Kaepernick 👌🏾

Whether you agree with his stance or not, it's TIME to END the DOUBLE STANDARDS of the LEAGUE.

Post #: 1792
RE: Around the NFL - 8/6/2017 12:31:04 PM   
David F.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartoonoftheday/2017/08/03/nfl-ravens-to-colin-kaepernick-were-cool-with-crime-but-opinions-are-bad-for-our-brand-unpatriotic/#56d4a39b5d3a

Even more galling is the fact Bisciotti said he turned to Hall of Famer Ray Lewis for advice. Yes, a rich, white NFL owner turned to a man who lied to police about his involvement in the double murder at a Super Bowl party for advice in how to protect the brand of the Baltimore Ravens. You can’t make this stuff up.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1793
RE: Around the NFL - 8/6/2017 12:59:37 PM   
JC2015

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartoonoftheday/2017/08/03/nfl-ravens-to-colin-kaepernick-were-cool-with-crime-but-opinions-are-bad-for-our-brand-unpatriotic/#56d4a39b5d3a

Even more galling is the fact Bisciotti said he turned to Hall of Famer Ray Lewis for advice. Yes, a rich, white NFL owner turned to a man who lied to police about his involvement in the double murder at a Super Bowl party for advice in how to protect the brand of the Baltimore Ravens. You can’t make this stuff up.

yup

In a city where police have just been shown to plant evidence on suspects

Post #: 1794
RE: Around the NFL - 8/6/2017 1:37:00 PM   
JC2015

I just can't **** with the NFL any more. There are better uses of my Sundays this fall

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20267198/miami-dolphins-jay-cutler-agree-one-year-deal

Post #: 1795
RE: Around the NFL - 8/7/2017 9:04:18 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Jesus. I would take Kaepernick as a back up in a heartbeat. He exercised his constitutional rights. Yeah, I found it disrepectful, but I think that was the point...why respect a flag/nation that continues to allow the mistreatment of certain groups of people.

He's still a talented individual.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1796
RE: Around the NFL - 8/7/2017 11:34:28 AM   
Ian Joseph

Looks like Ezekiel Elliott is about to be suspended, maybe 4 games, for domestic violence. This is about to get ugly.

Believe.
Post #: 1797
RE: Around the NFL - 8/7/2017 11:58:04 AM   
Jeff Jesser

They are finally starting to earn their nickname of America's Team
Post #: 1798
RE: Around the NFL - 8/7/2017 1:38:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Tannahill to have possible season ending knee surgery.

Cutler appears to be the front runner due to his relationship with HC Adam Gates

Frankly, you would think that would have taken him out of the running.
Post #: 1799
RE: Around the NFL - 8/8/2017 12:36:35 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Anyone going to the rally by Spike Lee for Kapernick (LOL, they spelled his f'ng name wrong. What a joke) in NYC??
Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode