Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Former Twins News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 10:08:06 AM   
Dave E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

Who'd we put on the roster when we dropped Hendriks? He might never get it in the bigs, but I'm pretty sure the person we added sucks. Dumb move.

It was to save Eric Fryer.

Phil Hughes was signed. Someone had to go off the 40.

Was Fryer on the 40 man at the time? If so, I just threw up.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 101
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 10:18:24 AM   
Stacey King

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who'd we put on the roster when we dropped Hendriks? He might never get it in the bigs, but I'm pretty sure the person we added sucks. Dumb move.

yes
Post #: 102
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 10:19:18 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

yes

So I was right; it was to save Eric Fryer.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 103
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 10:21:44 AM   
Stacey King

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

yes

probably, yes.
Post #: 104
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 10:28:26 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

yes

probably, yes.

It's difficult for Stacey to admit I was right.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 105
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 10:36:07 AM   
Stacey King

Matt was right again.
Post #: 106
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 10:50:50 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Matt was right again.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 107
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 12:11:56 PM   
Stacey King

quote:

I'm gonna try picking him up in fantasy baseball.

Still waiting on Taveras. What the hell is the holdup?

There is a date on the horizon when the Cardinals could promote either top prospect Oscar Taveras or recall surging talent Randal Grichuk from Class AAA Memphis and have the necessary at-bats ready and waiting for a new player that they don’t now.

And it has nothing to do with baseball’s “Super 2” rule.

In the first week of June the Cardinals begin a seven-game stretch at American League ballparks, and the introduction of the designated hitter may be the opening the club says it doesn’t have now for the rookie mashers.

“The natural thing there is because you have the DH,” general manager John Mozeliak said. “I can see that possibly happening, sure. Oscar has played well. Grichuk has gone down there and been lights out. I would say a lot would depend on how we’re playing.”

For Memphis, Taveras, 21, has wrecked the Pacific Coast League so far this season with a .297 average, a .507 slugging percentage, and a team-high 31 RBIs. He hit his sixth home run of the season Thursday. Unlike Grichuk, who was promoted earlier this season, Taveras has no service time in the majors, and stalling that clock until mid-June would assure the outfield does not have early access to arbitration.

Baseball’s “Super 2” classification allows for players with less than three years of major-league time to access arbitration early if their service time ranks in the top 22 of players between two and three years. That cutoff date usually arrives in June.

Its meaning to a club like the Cardinals can be overblown.

“I understand why it becomes a topic of discussion, and you could certainly understand both sides of the argument of adding an extra year of control, of avoiding an extra year of arbitration,” Mozeliak said. “All of those things are great fodder for a debate. The reality is there are very few players who make the impact that it really matters. … My point here is that acting like we’re not holding Taveras back because we’re worried about ‘Super 2.’ “Absolutely, I think about that. But that’s not the driving decision-maker. The driving decision-maker is, will he play?”

As the Cardinals have groped for a more consistent offense this season and shuttled players around in the lineup to find it, officials like Mozeliak have said that established players deserve more time to shake loose of early-season slumps.

“I can’t say one thing and do another,” he said. “In the end, it’s going to come down to, can we find playing time for Oscar Taveras, Grichuk or Stephen Piscotty? At some point, if we feel one of them can help us, we will. If we do, then someone else isn’t playing as much.”

The arrival of the DH changes that equation.

The Cardinals could pull the designated hitter from the existing roster — Joey Butler was brought up to add righthanded pop off the bench — or dip into the prospects. Taveras carries the most name recognition, but since returning to Class AAA Grichuk has been on a tear. He homered for the third consecutive game Friday and has five homers, nine RBIs and a .464 average (13-for-28) since demotion.

“The good news for Oscar Taveras right now is he’s playing, he’s showing he’s healthy, he’s diversifying his playing time,” Mozeliak said. “I see opportunities.”
Post #: 108
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 12:16:59 PM   
twinsfan

Since it's a keeper league, there's a chance I won't even play him when he's promoted. If I don't play him, I get to keep him for the next 2 full seasons (and possibly 3 if he doesn't get enough AB's) instead of just 1.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 109
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 12:28:39 PM   
Stacey King

The Cards have 4 outfielders in the minors, Tavares, Grichuk, Piscotty and James Ramsey who are blocked for the time being in St. Louis who could all be playing in the Twins outfield right now and transform the Twins into legitimate WC contenders.

Tavares is on another level, a perennial AS in the making so he is off the radar and obviuos

but Randal Grichuk and Stephen Piscotty would star for the Twins in the outfield right now compared to what we have ...and James Ramsey is a grinder/plugger a couple years away.

You put Grichuk, Piscotty and Arcia in our OF and we would have something. And be fun to watch.

Yet in St. Louie they have to find room for those two AND Tavares.

Whatever secret sauce they use or look for in players in the Cards scouting department the Twins need. A low level scout from St. Louis could probably revamp our staff and entire scouting process. Run our show much better than what we have been doing for the past 12 years. He's been in the meetings. He knows how they do things.
Post #: 110
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 12:30:33 PM   
Stacey King

quote:

Since it's a keeper league, there's a chance I won't even play him when he's promoted. If I don't play him, I get to keep him for the next 2 full seasons (and possibly 3 if he doesn't get enough AB's) instead of just 1.

His bat is a force. He has mashed at every level. He hasn't even hit a rough patch yet in his development when on the field. The ankle injury cost him a year, but if he plays, he hits.
Post #: 111
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 12:37:22 PM   
Stacey King

Twins did draft James Ramsey in the past, couldn't sign him. Went back to college and Cards drafted him the next year late in the first round in 2012.

Hitting .311 with a .988 OPS in AA. Age 24 so he is not a couple years away from the majors but just around the corner.

Embarrassment of riches in St. Louis.
Post #: 112
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 12:39:08 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Twins did draft James Ramsey in the past, couldn't sign him. Went back to college and Cards drafted him the next year late in the first round in 2012.

Hitting .311 with a .988 OPS in AA. Age 24 so he is not a couple years away from the majors but just around the corner.

Embarrassment of riches in St. Louis.

How can 2012 draft picks already be in AA?

That is so un-Twins-like.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 113
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 12:48:32 PM   
twinsfan

Drew Butera showing off his arm playing dodgeball:

http://deadspin.com/dodgers-backup-catcher-destroys-kid-with-a-dodgeball-1579580181

I think his last throw was caught. You're out, Drew!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 114
RE: Former Twins News - 5/23/2014 11:29:11 PM   
Stacey King

Liam Hendricks with a W tonight for Toronto.

worked with a 90-91 fastball for the couple of innings I watched, hit 92 once.

Didn't nibble quite as much as he did with the Twins.
Post #: 115
RE: Former Twins News - 5/24/2014 3:35:58 PM   
CWG

A.J. Pierzynski's struggles a symbol of woe

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Singling out one player for blame in this season to nowhere is patently unfair, but we’re going to do so anyway.

This is all A.J. Pierzynski’s fault. Every last stinking bit of it.

That’s an overstatement, of course, but Pierzynski symbolizes much of what’s wrong with the defending World Series champs — with three examples from last night’s disheartening 1-0 loss to the Rays shining a spotlight.

Before we get to them, though, let’s just acknowledge that on-field failures are an acceptable part of the game. But a year after the Red Sox came to redefine personal accountability en route to a title, Pierzynski compounded his mistakes by refusing to acknowledge them.

That’s not how the Red Sox carried themselves last year, and it’s certainly not how they won, but it has quickly become part of the new normal in 2014 — and Pierzynski is the poster boy.

Consider the ninth inning last night. Pierzynski led off with a single after narrowly missing a home run. Manager John Farrell opened himself up to a gigantic second guess by not pinch running for his plodding catcher.

Shane Victorino, however, delivered a very good sacrifice bunt toward third, where charging Gold Glover Evan Longoria fielded it just shy of a third hop and rifled a throw to second.

He had all day, because Pierzynski wasn’t near the picture. The catcher inexplicably decelerated as he approached the bag, and then didn’t even slide. Had the throw gotten away, Pierzynski would’ve been tagged out somewhere in short left field.

“I don’t know why he didn’t slide,” Farrell said.

Pierzynski insisted he got a good jump and secondary lead. Replays suggested otherwise. He also appallingly put some of the blame on Victorino, who ended up tweaking his right hamstring busting it up the line.

“Vic made a good bunt,” Pierzynski said, “but it wasn’t perfect.”

Pierzynski, who often exudes an air of indifference that his defenders insist misrepresents his actual effort level, didn’t look like a guy trying particularly hard.

“I was just going to stop when I hit the base,” Pierzynski said. “If I slide or not, I’m out either way. People can (say) whatever, but at the end of the day, I’m out if I slide or not.”

There was more. With Desmond Jennings on first in the bottom of the ninth as the winning run and everyone in the ballpark expecting him to run, the Red Sox perfectly timed a pitchout with Burke Badenhop on the mound, but Pierzynski’s high throw didn’t have enough steam. Jennings scored one batter later to win the game.

“We did everything right,” Pierzynski said. “He made a good pitchout. I made a good throw, and he was safe. There’s nothing you can do in that situation. Sometimes guys can just fly.”

Badenhop blamed his high pitchout for leaving Pierzynski in a less-than-optimal throwing position. Pierzynski agreed that, “it was a little high,” but at least added, “It’s not Burke’s fault at all.”

The Red Sox have issues all over the field, and their starting catcher is one of them. Pierzynski arrived with a reputation as one of the most disliked players in baseball, and in retrospect, it probably should’ve been a red flag that you didn’t hear much of the cliche about how you only hate him until he’s on your team, a la Rodney Harrison. Teammates seem to have sworn at Pierzynski as much as they’ve sworn by him over the years.

The pitching staff clearly has its issues with him, whether it’s the way he jerkily frames the ball, his propensity for missing pitches that are practically in the strike zone, or his occasional habit of dropping the transfer on stolen base attempts.

Farrell has already acknowledged Jon Lester’s strong rapport with backup David Ross, and veteran right-hander Jake Peavy — a former teammate of Pierzynski’s in Chicago — has been effusive in his praise of Ross as well. The tension between catcher and staff is obvious.

And so we’re left with a player who doesn’t feel like a good fit on the field or in the clubhouse, unless the year is 2001, and the clubhouse includes Carl Everett, Mike Lansing and Jose Offerman.

General manager Ben Cherington has faced his share of challenges this season, but figuring out how much longer to stick with Pierzynski might be the biggest of all.
Post #: 116
RE: Former Twins News - 5/24/2014 6:12:57 PM   
twinsfan

Lame article.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 117
RE: Former Twins News - 5/25/2014 9:01:05 AM   
Steve Lentz

Revere was 4-4 with 3 runs scored, double and a rbi. Now hitting .289.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 118
RE: Former Twins News - 5/25/2014 9:24:22 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Revere was 4-4 with 3 runs scored, double and a rbi. Now hitting .289.

Raised that SGL to a whopping .322, and OBP to .303

Escape while you can!
Post #: 119
RE: Former Twins News - 5/25/2014 9:38:42 AM   
TJSweens

Wow, I don't think Revere's OBP has ever been 14 points higher than his average before. I remember the one time when it was actually a couple points lower. Until that moment I didn't even think that was possible.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 120
RE: Former Twins News - 5/25/2014 9:49:12 AM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Wow, I don't think Revere's OBP has ever been 14 points higher than his average before. I remember the one time when it was actually a couple points lower. Until that moment I didn't even think that was possible.

Oh but he has that Kirby Puckett smile!
Post #: 121
RE: Former Twins News - 5/25/2014 1:27:06 PM   
SoMnFan

My boy JJ Hardy flirtin with .300 after a torrid week.
Man, he would STILL be a nice fit on this club.
Idiots.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 122
RE: Former Twins News - 5/25/2014 1:44:57 PM   
TJSweens

Pat Neshek with 0.86 ERA and 23 K in 21 IP for St. Louis.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 123
RE: Former Twins News - 5/25/2014 1:46:18 PM   
SoMnFan

Outstanding numbers for Neshek.
Good for the kid.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 124
RE: Former Twins News - 5/25/2014 2:57:18 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Pat Neshek with 0.86 ERA and 23 K in 21 IP for St. Louis.

Hard not to like Neshek.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode