Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Twins Talk X

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk X Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 1:37:32 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

Well, if it makes you guys feel better...I'm sure TR will report that the Twins are "in on" Lester/Shields/Scherzer...

only to say later, "missed it by that much"

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

11,780 ----> Trump = Crook
Lock him up
Lock him up
Put him in a Georgia prison in general population. See how his white ass survives.
Post #: 26
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 1:57:48 PM   
Zoilo

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

For the Upcoming season, I propose the Talkvies.

The Ron Gardenhire Award will go to the stupidest hot head.

The Terry Ryan Award will go to the guy who relies most on outdated data and is consistently wrong

The Joe Mauer award will go the poster who used to be solid, but doesn't do anything anymore.

The JJ Hardy award will go to the Most under appreciated poster

The Kent Hrbek Award will go the poster that eats the most, drinks the most, and has the most fun, while being steady in production.

Is there an application form for the JJ Hardy award?

Z
Post #: 27
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 1:58:52 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

The Ron Gardenhire Award will go to the stupidest hot head.

The Terry Ryan Award will go to the guy who relies most on outdated data and is consistently wrong

The Joe Mauer award will go the poster who used to be solid, but doesn't do anything anymore.

The JJ Hardy award will go to the Most under appreciated poster

The Kent Hrbek Award will go the poster that eats the most, drinks the most, and has the most fun, while being steady in production.

So who are the favorites for each award?

55% of Republicans think the Earth is 5,000 years old. All kinds of people believe all kinds of crazy things. You just gotta move on, man.

-James Carville - 12/15/20 - The Beat with Ari Melber
Post #: 28
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 2:07:13 PM   
Zoilo

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

The Ron Gardenhire Award will go to the stupidest hot head. CPA man

The Terry Ryan Award will go to the guy who relies most on outdated data and is consistently wrong Dustin

The Joe Mauer award will go the poster who used to be solid, but doesn't do anything anymore. Twinsfan

The JJ Hardy award will go to the Most under appreciated poster Zoilo

Steve
So who are the favorites for each award?

Z
Post #: 29
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 2:10:33 PM   
twinsfan

Steve isn't a hot head.

55% of Republicans think the Earth is 5,000 years old. All kinds of people believe all kinds of crazy things. You just gotta move on, man.

Post #: 30
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 2:13:20 PM   
Zoilo

quote:

Steve isn't a hot head.

You don't have to get mad about it.

Z
Post #: 31
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 2:24:31 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Steve isn't a hot head.

And Dustin uses new age analytics ... he's still wrong ... but he uses new age analytics.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 32
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 2:27:00 PM   
Zoilo

quote:

The Ron Gardenhire Award will go to the stupidest hot head. - Twinsfan

The Terry Ryan Award will go to the guy who relies most on outdated data and is consistently wrong - CPAman

The Joe Mauer award will go the poster who used to be solid, but doesn't do anything anymore. - Trekkie

The JJ Hardy award will go to the Most under appreciated poster - Zoilo

The Kent Hrbek Award will go the poster that eats the most, drinks the most, and has the most fun, while being steady in production. - Steve L.
-

Second attempt

Z
Post #: 33
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 3:45:24 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

The Ron Gardenhire Award will go to the stupidest hot head.-McMurfy

The Terry Ryan Award will go to the guy who relies most on outdated data and is consistently wrong-McMurfy

The Joe Mauer award will go the poster who used to be solid, but doesn't do anything anymore.-Parlin

The JJ Hardy award will go to the Most under appreciated poster-Stacey King

The Kent Hrbek Award will go the poster that eats the most, drinks the most, and has the most fun, while being steady in production.-McMurfy

-McMurfy

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 34
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 3:47:29 PM   
McMurfy

Zoilo,
Give us a serious post on the Ron Gardenhire firing.
Justified, absurd, etc

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 35
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 4:11:54 PM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

The Ron Gardenhire Award will go to the stupidest hot head.-McMurfy

The Terry Ryan Award will go to the guy who relies most on outdated data and is consistently wrong-McMurfy

The Joe Mauer award will go the poster who used to be solid, but doesn't do anything anymore.-Parlin

The JJ Hardy award will go to the Most under appreciated poster-Stacey King

The Kent Hrbek Award will go the poster that eats the most, drinks the most, and has the most fun, while being steady in production.-McMurfy

-McMurfy

Well done

Lock him up
Lock him up
Put him in a Georgia prison in general population. See how his white ass survives.
Post #: 36
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 4:59:59 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Payroll...

IMO, the Twins should be expected to have a payroll in the upper half of the league. The 15th highest payroll last year was Baltimore at $107 million. There is no reason the Twins shouldn't be expected to have a payroll that high. That means, with such a young team, they SHOULD be pursuing a freaking ACE this year. They have enough cheap talent to afford a TOP SP along with a quality arm for the bullpen.

TOP SP
Hughes
Nolasco
Gibson
Meyer/May/Milone

2013 payroll was $86 million, but if you take away Willingham, Correia, Pelfrey, Burton, and Kubel it's around $63 million. They could easily spend $20-25 million on the ACE and quality bullpen arm this offseason. Hopefully they will pursue Scherzer/Shields/Lester with the knowledge that they are in a position to afford such a contract.

As much of a critic as I have been of this organization the last 6 or 7 years I don't see where there is a need to outbid the entire market just to sign "an ace"
Why? To show fans that they spend money??? Gotta be a better reason than that, imo

How many games will an ace mean for this team? Four or five maybe? How many years do you sign an "ace" for? At least five, probably closer to seven. HOw many of those years will the so called "ace" pitch like an ace?

Count me out of the WE NEED AN ACE crowd for now. Maybe in two or three years when it looks like things are set to pop but not right now. Can we at least reach .500 before this becomes an issue? Look no further than the Philadelphia Phillies if you want exhibit A. The signed Lee and Halladay. Like most known aces they were on the wrong side of 30 when they signed. They gave the team a couple of strong years and that was that. Neither could survive the term of the contract.

I would not be upset if the Twins didn't get a single FA pitcher this winter. Now should be the time to give innings to Meyer, May, Gibson and Milone. Lets find out in short order what the heck we have in these guys. To me none of them have proven a thing. Let them sink or swim.

Meyer damn well better be up with the big club when this season starts. He's a first round pick, will be 25 before the season even starts and he has not even pitched a freakin inning at the major league level. Gibson will turn 27 next week. It looks like he is a 3 or a 4.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 37
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 7:51:03 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

Payroll...

IMO, the Twins should be expected to have a payroll in the upper half of the league. The 15th highest payroll last year was Baltimore at $107 million. There is no reason the Twins shouldn't be expected to have a payroll that high. That means, with such a young team, they SHOULD be pursuing a freaking ACE this year. They have enough cheap talent to afford a TOP SP along with a quality arm for the bullpen.

TOP SP
Hughes
Nolasco
Gibson
Meyer/May/Milone

2013 payroll was $86 million, but if you take away Willingham, Correia, Pelfrey, Burton, and Kubel it's around $63 million. They could easily spend $20-25 million on the ACE and quality bullpen arm this offseason. Hopefully they will pursue Scherzer/Shields/Lester with the knowledge that they are in a position to afford such a contract.

As much of a critic as I have been of this organization the last 6 or 7 years I don't see where there is a need to outbid the entire market just to sign "an ace"
Why? To show fans that they spend money??? Gotta be a better reason than that, imo

How many games will an ace mean for this team? Four or five maybe? How many years do you sign an "ace" for? At least five, probably closer to seven. HOw many of those years will the so called "ace" pitch like an ace?

Count me out of the WE NEED AN ACE crowd for now. Maybe in two or three years when it looks like things are set to pop but not right now. Can we at least reach .500 before this becomes an issue? Look no further than the Philadelphia Phillies if you want exhibit A. The signed Lee and Halladay. Like most known aces they were on the wrong side of 30 when they signed. They gave the team a couple of strong years and that was that. Neither could survive the term of the contract.

I would not be upset if the Twins didn't get a single FA pitcher this winter. Now should be the time to give innings to Meyer, May, Gibson and Milone. Lets find out in short order what the heck we have in these guys. To me none of them have proven a thing. Let them sink or swim.

Meyer damn well better be up with the big club when this season starts. He's a first round pick, will be 25 before the season even starts and he has not even pitched a freakin inning at the major league level. Gibson will turn 27 next week. It looks like he is a 3 or a 4.

I think I agree with this. Wait one more year. Can always trade for an ace or potential ace. That seems to work better anyway. These pitcher contracts are ridiculous and usually backfire.

Post #: 38
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 8:41:46 PM   
Zoilo

quote:

Zoilo,
Give us a serious post on the Ron Gardenhire firing.
Justified, absurd, etc

Something had to be done ... they need someone who can bring out the best in the young guys.

Z
Post #: 39
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/17/2014 11:19:25 PM   
djskillz

I agree. I like Lester and Scherzer, but the timing is bad because the Sox/Cubs are both so desperate to sign them. We'd have to outbid the Sox and a resurgent Cubs. Think about that. No way those deals are going to work out.

We do need an ace, and I'd like one now, but it probably has to come via trade. Look at Cueto. Look at Price if the Tigers' owner dies soon. Look at Latos. Hamels. Anyone who is on a team going nowhere. Failing that right now, I'd look at one of the following and try to get another Hughes:

Volquez; depending on qualifying offer
Liriano: depending on qualifying offer (no Rick now)
McCarthy: won't be able to get a qualifying offer

Any of those guys are going to cost something like $12-13M/yr, IMO. But I'd do it on a 3 year deal or less.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 40
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/18/2014 12:49:57 PM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

Payroll...

TOP SP
Hughes
Nolasco
Gibson
Meyer/May/Milone

You have to have pitching...and an ACE over someone like Tommy Milone means more than four games. I'm guessing it's closer to 9 or 10 games.
Post #: 41
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/18/2014 12:52:21 PM   
Jeff Allen

OK...trade for or sign a lesser pitcher who will cost less over a shorter period of time. Then, if the team is contending in July, rent an ACE via trade.
Post #: 42
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/18/2014 12:53:10 PM   
Jeff Allen

But if Shields is could be had for five years and $85 million I say do it. Lester and Scherzer are the two who will get $140 over 7 years...
Post #: 43
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/18/2014 12:59:20 PM   
Steve Lentz

Unfortunately the Milone trade looks not so good so far. We dared think we pulled one over the A's?

While I agree we have to see immediately what Meyer and May can do, we certainly need more that that. You guys are showing more patience than I have when you don't see the reason to pick up some better pitching this year. We've shown we have the ability to score runs and if couple of our prospects come up, I see no let down at all with the offense. Meyer is the only one we haven't seen at this level and from what I've seen we need a lot more from May. Gibson is who he is a 4th pitcher on a decent staff. Our current staff will not get us over a .500 year at best. We need to think bigger.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 44
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/18/2014 1:02:04 PM   
MDK

quote:

But if Shields is could be had for five years and $85 million I say do it. Lester and Scherzer are the two who will get $140 over 7 years...

Jeff, do you think that the Twins will be competitive next season with a new manager and an ace? I still think they need to have a season of development under a new manager and they need to add a couple of key vets to the roster such as an outfielder. As much as I would like to see them mover Mauer to left, I doubt that it happens. Maybe the new manager will see the obvious.

Problem with a mid season acquisition of a pitcher, it will take prospects to get a trade made. At least with a pickup in FA, you don't have to give anything up.

I would rather see a trade made using Eddie Rosario or Dozier and why Rosario should be at second instead of the outfield in the Fall league.

But the Twins will definitely have the salary room to add significant pieces. No doubt. The idea of them spending only 80 to 85 million on payroll of 24th to 26th in the league is criminal to the fans, given a tax payer financed ballpark.

Lock him up
Lock him up
Post #: 45
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/18/2014 6:45:59 PM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

Jeff, do you think that the Twins will be competitive next season with a new manager and an ace? I still think they need to have a season of development under a new manager and they need to add a couple of key vets to the roster such as an outfielder. As much as I would like to see them mover Mauer to left, I doubt that it happens. Maybe the new manager will see the obvious.

Problem with a mid season acquisition of a pitcher, it will take prospects to get a trade made. At least with a pickup in FA, you don't have to give anything up.

I would rather see a trade made using Eddie Rosario or Dozier and why Rosario should be at second instead of the outfield in the Fall league.

But the Twins will definitely have the salary room to add significant pieces. No doubt. The idea of them spending only 80 to 85 million on payroll of 24th to 26th in the league is criminal to the fans, given a tax payer financed ballpark.

Yeah, I think team can compete next year. They definitely need a pitcher better than Phil Hughes to be their ACE and they need another quality bullpen arm. The rest of the team is pretty solid...young, but solid. Let the kids play!

LF -- Mauer
SS -- Santana
2B -- Dozier
DH -- Vargas
RF -- Arcia
1B -- Sano
3B -- Plouffe
CF -- Buxton
C -- Pinto/Suzuki

Bench -- Pinto/Suzuki, Hicks, Escobar, FA LH CI/OF...

SP -- ACE, Hughes, Nolasco, Gibson, Meyer/May/Berrios
RP -- Perkins, FA RP, next best four pitchers in camp...
Post #: 46
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/19/2014 7:05:33 PM   
Jim Frenette

I guess Jake Mauer gets an interview for the manager position

Fargo
Post #: 47
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/19/2014 8:26:45 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Unfortunately the Milone trade looks not so good so far. We dared think we pulled one over the A's?

While I agree we have to see immediately what Meyer and May can do, we certainly need more that that. You guys are showing more patience than I have when you don't see the reason to pick up some better pitching this year. We've shown we have the ability to score runs and if couple of our prospects come up, I see no let down at all with the offense. Meyer is the only one we haven't seen at this level and from what I've seen we need a lot more from May. Gibson is who he is a 4th pitcher on a decent staff. Our current staff will not get us over a .500 year at best. We need to think bigger.

Steve, we have to keep things in perspective.....he was aquired for Sam Fuld. If he wins ten games for the Twins we come out on top.

This was actually a brilliant trade for Ryan (on paper) whether it works or not.

Now.....I'd be lying if I didn't think the A's knew something we didn't know. If Milone ends up sucking or has TJ that wouldn't surprise me at all. However, he did have some success with the A's. I have seen the numbers he put up with them. They are actually pretty decent. His ERA was 3.55 with them in slightly under 500 innings.

That being said he was horrible last year.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 48
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 1:39:09 PM   
Black 47

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

I guess Jake Mauer gets an interview for the manager position

And if hired, would once and for all make the Twins 100% dead to me. I'm teetering now. That would be the end. That would make our divorce complete.
Post #: 49
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 1:41:23 PM   
Mr. Ed

Reward to Jake for a couple of good years of service.

Funny, only the AA manager, who has sat Rosario and Sano the past couple of years, hasn't been interviewed. Wonder if there is an issue there?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk X Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode