Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Twins Talk X

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk X Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 1:43:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

I'll be surprised if this status changes

The Twins have yet to schedule a private workout for Cuban outfielder Yasmany Tomas, 1500 ESPN’s Darren Wolfson tweets, and there have been “no serious talks, just brief ones” between the club and Tomas’ representatives.

"show interest in", "Kick the tires on"

are Twinspeak for

"We thought about it. Anything more should not be expected."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 51
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 2:01:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Funny, only the AA manager, who has sat Rosario and Sano the past couple of years, hasn't been interviewed. Wonder if there is an issue there?

He's been trying to get an interview, but hasn't made it past security yet...

< Message edited by David Levine -- 10/20/2014 2:03:08 PM >
Post #: 52
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 2:15:36 PM   
djskillz

Awesome DL!

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 53
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 4:51:03 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black 47

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

I guess Jake Mauer gets an interview for the manager position

And if hired, would once and for all make the Twins 100% dead to me. I'm teetering now. That would be the end. That would make our divorce complete.

The thought of Jake Mauer sitting on that bench makes me ill.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 54
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 5:39:41 PM   
Mr. Ed

Source: Twins GM Terry Ryan will meet with Paul Molitor again tomorrow. Word is owner Jim Pohlad will not be there. #mntwins

Escape while you can!
Post #: 55
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 5:42:34 PM   
djskillz

I'm still of the belief everything else has been window dressing. Prep for Molitor, guys.

And if true I'll be happier than Ron Gardenhire at a Pedro Florimon/Nick Punto dual Dairy Queen birthday bash.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 10/20/2014 5:45:46 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 56
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 7:08:16 PM   
ewen21

I was told the ending of this was worth watching. Reusse talks about the article he wrote about the Twins getting near the tipping point with the fans. It starts just before the 29 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV90p8XsFvU

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 57
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 8:27:13 PM   
Mr. Ed

@DarrenWolfson
A false piece of info. out there on the #MNTwins: Molitor was NOT at the organizational meetings. Doug M. was - all MiLB coaches are always.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 58
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 8:27:32 PM   
Mr. Ed

@MikeBerardino
Per @elliottbaseball, Jays bench coach DeMarlo Hale has been informed he is no longer a candidate for #MNTwins manager opening.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 59
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/20/2014 8:27:58 PM   
Mr. Ed

@DarrenWolfson
SOURCE: Sandy Alomar Jr. has been told he's OUT. Reported last week same on McEwing. Toronto Sun reports Demarlo Hale out too. #mntwins

Escape while you can!
Post #: 60
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 5:55:25 AM   
Mr. Ed

Reusse

The Twins’ number of tickets sold per game has fallen by 30 percent since Target Field opened in 2010. And, unless our eyes are lyin’, the number of people actually occupying seats has fallen by a larger percentage.
A bigger hit is on the way for 2015, particularly in the tickets-sold category. The incentive of being able to acquire All-Star tickets allowed the Twins to stay around 17,000 season tickets in 2014. I’m guessing even with the pleading phone calls they won’t top 12,000 in season tickets next season.
Take away 5,000 season tickets per game and the Twins in Year 6 of the new ballpark would be at 1.85 million in official attendance — their lowest total since 2001 in the Metrodome.
As for sponsorships, I’m told a number of important corporate customers signed for five years when Target Field opened, which means they would now be expired and targets for the Wild (popular), the Vikings (new stadium on the way) and the Timberwolves (perhaps revitalized) to try to steal away.
And the Twins’ marketing approach to this looming business disaster in Target Field? It was basically to announce last week, through the Star Tribune and baseball reporter Phil Miller, that the plan for 2015 is to spend nothing, do nothing, and hope for a miracle.
Jim Pohlad is about the last CEO in baseball still reciting the Bud Selig mantra from a decade ago, about teams trying to stick to 50 percent of revenues for payroll. The Twins dragged that out again as an excuse to stay at $86 million in 2015, which would once again put them in the bottom fifth in MLB in payroll.
There was also the tired assurance from General Manager Terry Ryan that payroll isn’t an obstacle to winning.
That doesn’t work as logic, Mr. Ryan, not when 47 percent ($40.5 million) of that $86 million is set aside for three players — Joe Mauer, Ricky Nolasco and Mike Pelfrey — coming off miserable or nonexistent seasons.
Once the sporting public sees Andrew Wiggins and companions, the Twins could be the No. 4 major league team in this market, and it would be what they deserve.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 61
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 7:22:48 AM   
bstinger

quote:

Reusse

The Twins’ number of tickets sold per game has fallen by 30 percent since Target Field opened in 2010. And, unless our eyes are lyin’, the number of people actually occupying seats has fallen by a larger percentage.
A bigger hit is on the way for 2015, particularly in the tickets-sold category. The incentive of being able to acquire All-Star tickets allowed the Twins to stay around 17,000 season tickets in 2014. I’m guessing even with the pleading phone calls they won’t top 12,000 in season tickets next season.
Take away 5,000 season tickets per game and the Twins in Year 6 of the new ballpark would be at 1.85 million in official attendance — their lowest total since 2001 in the Metrodome.
As for sponsorships, I’m told a number of important corporate customers signed for five years when Target Field opened, which means they would now be expired and targets for the Wild (popular), the Vikings (new stadium on the way) and the Timberwolves (perhaps revitalized) to try to steal away.
And the Twins’ marketing approach to this looming business disaster in Target Field? It was basically to announce last week, through the Star Tribune and baseball reporter Phil Miller, that the plan for 2015 is to spend nothing, do nothing, and hope for a miracle.
Jim Pohlad is about the last CEO in baseball still reciting the Bud Selig mantra from a decade ago, about teams trying to stick to 50 percent of revenues for payroll. The Twins dragged that out again as an excuse to stay at $86 million in 2015, which would once again put them in the bottom fifth in MLB in payroll.
There was also the tired assurance from General Manager Terry Ryan that payroll isn’t an obstacle to winning.
That doesn’t work as logic, Mr. Ryan, not when 47 percent ($40.5 million) of that $86 million is set aside for three players — Joe Mauer, Ricky Nolasco and Mike Pelfrey — coming off miserable or nonexistent seasons.
Once the sporting public sees Andrew Wiggins and companions, the Twins could be the No. 4 major league team in this market, and it would be what they deserve.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 62
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 7:54:36 AM   
Mr. Ed

The Twins need to stop thinking about entertaining the mindless drones that come and WIN. That will fill the ballpark.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 63
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 9:41:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Reusse

I don't agree with the article...Sano and Buxton will bring fans---it just matters when their callup is----I think T Ryan was seeing the future and is worried people are pissed that they aren't bidding on the Cuban OF...So he detracts by stating that Sano may play LF.

The offense is there already...up the middle defense and pitching are the missing link that all good teams have.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/21/2014 9:43:15 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 64
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 9:42:57 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Reusse

I don't agree with the article...Sano and Buxton will bring fans---it just matters when their callup is----I think T Ryan was worried people are pissed that they aren't bidding on the Cuban OF by stating that Sano may play LF.....

Fans won't come back until they start winning again.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 65
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 9:45:59 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

I was told the ending of this was worth watching. Reusse talks about the article he wrote about the Twins getting near the tipping point with the fans. It starts just before the 29 minute mark.

"Terry Ryan spends money like its his"

Best line from Reusse.

And so true.

Gotta get rid of TR.

Hire a new manager and then step down. At this point, I could care less if he turns over the job to Rob Antony.

11,780 ----> Trump = Crook
Lock him up
Lock him up
Put him in a Georgia prison in general population. See how his white ass survives.
Post #: 66
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 9:47:22 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

Best line from Reusse.

And so true.

Gotta get rid of TR.

Hire a new manager and then step down. At this point, I could care less if he turns over the job to Rob Antony.

King Midas

That was what I called him during the non-spending era.

STill is. Skunks don't change their stripes.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 67
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 9:48:45 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

The Twins need to stop thinking about entertaining the mindless drones that come and WIN. That will fill the ballpark.

It's funny how that works.

They are complicating things too much. Just put a winning product on the field and fans will show up and fill the stadium every night. Your TV ratings will go up. and the money will roll in.

If you build it, they will come.

Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants...not having any trouble drawing fans. Know why? WINNING. They spend the money to make a winner on the field. People show up in droves. They get MONSTER Local TV contracts, or even own their own cable networks and make bundles of money.

Commit to winning every stinking year, no matter what it takes, and voila!!

"All things can be understood once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." Gallileo Gallilei
Post #: 68
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 9:49:51 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

It's funny how that works.

They are complicating things too much. Just put a winning product on the field and fans will show up and fill the stadium every night. Your TV ratings will go up. and the money will roll in.

If you build it, they will come.

Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants...not having any trouble drawing fans. Know why? WINNING. They spend the money to make a winner on the field. People show up in droves. They get MONSTER Local TV contracts, or even own their own cable networks and make bundles of money.

Commit to winning every stinking year, no matter what it takes, and voila!!

Indeed.

What happened after 2001?

Oh, yeah, the started winning.

Bizarre how that works.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 69
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 9:56:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

I think they can easily sign the Cuban OF and Brandon McCarthy....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 70
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 10:08:24 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

Source: Twins GM Terry Ryan will meet with Paul Molitor again tomorrow. Word is owner Jim Pohlad will not be there. #mntwins

I'm thinking about tweeting Twins Pres that why play the charade game because all the fans for months before the season ended that Paul would manage next year.

Fargo
Post #: 71
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 10:54:06 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

Best line from Reusse.

And so true.

Gotta get rid of TR.

Hear hear my friend, hear hear.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 72
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 10:55:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

I'm thinking about tweeting Twins Pres that why play the charade game because all the fans for months before the season ended that Paul would manage next year.

They're pretty good at carrying out charades.

They pretend they're a MLB team every day.

It must be a gift.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 73
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 10:58:52 AM   
SoMnFan

Besides .... As I've been whining about for years .... The manager here is allowed to set his roster, with very little GM input.
It damn-well better stay that way.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 74
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 12:31:55 PM   
ronhextall

If the Twins are not going to spend a dime to win they are going to need quite a character at manager. Somebody who fires them up and thinks outside the box a little.

I think Doug is the better fit for a penny pitching cheap ass club hoping to roll Yahtzee with about a half dozen kids all at the same time.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk X Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode