Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Twins Talk X

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk X Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 12:52:20 PM   
McMurfy

It is not lost on me that the longer the "search" drags out, the more money is saved in Manager salary.
Think of it this way, 4 million divided by 12 is 333,333.

That is real Pohlads money savings right there.
Aren't we currently on week 4?

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 76
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 1:26:45 PM   
Stacey King

lg does not like major announcements by teams during the WS. strongly discourages them.
takes away from their spotlight event.

Molitor hire will be after the WS concludes.
Post #: 77
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 1:43:48 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

lg does not like major announcements by teams during the WS. strongly discourages them.
takes away from their spotlight event.

Molitor hire will be after the WS concludes.

I read that earlier Stacey........if they did announce during the WS, it would be on a day that no game is played......don't want to distract from the WS excitement.

Here again is why MLB is brain dead when it comes to promoting itself. We have had too long a wait between the league championships and the beginning of the WS. Sure, we might have the schedule already in place in advance, in particular, to satisfy the TV people.

So why not use the filler time to make big announcements. Keep people talking about baseball.

Seriously, other than the fans of the KC and San Fran teams, who is talking about the WS during this waiting period? Who is talking about baseball other than posters such as us and baseball writers such as Buster and Tim K, etc.

No one.

And why the TV ratings for this upcoming WS will be low as usual.

This sport is run and managed by brain dead, out of touch old white men.

11,780 ----> Trump = Crook
Lock him up
Lock him up
Put him in a Georgia prison in general population. See how his white ass survives.
Post #: 78
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 2:01:13 PM   
McMurfy

Miles, you leave the GOP out of this discussion please.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 79
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 2:12:57 PM   
Stacey King

Good points Miles.

They think that during the WS baseball is going to get coverage on all the major networks no matter what. Then after it is over they can start announcing their major awards and keep MLB getting at least a mention during SportsCenter and the like with one story a day for those announcements. Then all the new hires get a mention for MLB on other days to come. Keep their face in there for as long as they can as many ways as they can during the off-season. But it seems like it is fighting a losing battle with the younger generation anyway. Not getting a lot of new ones. The fans now are the only fans anyway.

You hit the nail on the head with:

Seriously, other than the fans of the KC and San Fran teams, who is talking about the WS during this waiting period?
Post #: 80
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 2:20:15 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

It's funny ... because it's true.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 81
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 2:23:13 PM   
SoMnFan

There's no need for "set" scheduled playoff games.
That's BS
Start the WS two days after the last game of the LCS.
Really?
You're gonna turn it down, the opp to play in the WS? Because that's not enough advanced notice?
Bullshit. This is 2014. Act like it.
Logistics, schmogistcs. Fire it up and keep the interest alive.
Besides this crew, no one I know knows whether the WS is over or not.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 82
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 2:25:32 PM   
Stacey King

Boston Globe writer

Nick Cafardo @nickcafardo · 3h 3 hours ago

Torey Lovullo very much in hunt for Twins manager job.
Post #: 83
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 2:26:29 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

There's no need for "set" scheduled playoff games.
That's BS
Start the WS two days after the last game of the LCS.
Really?
You're gonna turn it down, the opp to play in the WS? Because that's not enough advanced notice?
Bullshit. This is 2014. Act like it.
Logistics, schmogistcs. Fire it up and keep the interest alive.
Besides this crew, no one I know knows whether the WS is over or not.

The almighty TV networks rule all. They had their sponsors lined lined up for specific nights of the week and MLB and its fans just have to deal with it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 84
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 2:34:52 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

Boston Globe writer

Nick Cafardo @nickcafardo · 3h 3 hours ago

Torey Lovullo very much in hunt for Twins manager job.

I'm starting to lose weight, this has been happening so much ....

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 85
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 2:44:00 PM   
TJSweens

I'll believe it when I see it. Boston reporters obviously aren't familiar with the Twins and how they do things. No doubt Lovullo's agent is spreading that angle. The Pohlad's love Molitor. The Pohlad's forced Moiltor on Gardenweasel. Molitor is going to be the Twins next manager.

Post #: 86
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 3:24:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

The next step after announcing a manager.

Trade Joe Mauer.

Find a taker, eat whatever portion you have to.

It would shake the franchise and 'fan base' up.

I really don't think it would impact attendance that much.

Joe is clogging 1B/DH,where I as a fan expect power and production, not flares w/2 strikes to LF or a walk when a hit is needed.

Sorry, Joe. IMO, his best days are past, and all should move on. Utilize some money saved on pitching/OF help, and look to the future, forcing a guy like Dozier/Plouffe to take over
the non-existent leadership on/off the field(around the media) that this team needs.

JMO.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 87
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 3:26:22 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

The next step after announcing a manager.

Trade Joe Mauer.

Find a taker, eat whatever portion you have to.

It would shake the franchise and 'fan base' up.

I really don't think it would impact attendance that much.

Joe is clogging 1B/DH,where I as a fan expect power and production, not flares w/2 strikes to LF or a walk when a hit is needed.

Sorry, Joe. IMO, his best days are past, and all should move on. Utilize some money saved on pitching/OF help, and look to the future, forcing a guy like Dozier/Plouffe to take over
the non-existent leadership on/off the field(around the media) that this team needs.

JMO.

People think it will be easy to trade Joe Mauer. If Joe don't want to go. Joe's not going. He has complete control to nix a trade. No trade clause or 10-5 status...Joe's not going anywhere.

"All things can be understood once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." Gallileo Gallilei
Post #: 88
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 3:28:51 PM   
Mr. Ed

Don't care.

Money talks. They should make an effort. Make Joe's life less comfy. Media, too.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 89
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 3:30:31 PM   
Mr. Ed

March 2014

Joe Torre is the only player in Major League history to log 300+ games at another position after catching his 900th game. Mauer has some experience at first, having started 54 games there over the past few seasons, but admits that those games aren't the same: "You know, the last few seasons, when I’d get out there, it was kind of a day off from catching, and it was kind of like, go out there and do your best. But now, it’s your job. So you’d better do it right."

Didn't get that done either. Less than impressive at 1B. Hitting in a premium power position with that bat is embarrassing.

Show some pride. Demand a winner or a trade to someone with more than a snowball's chance in hell of winning in 2015.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 90
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 3:34:19 PM   
TJSweens

Even if they were willing to do that nobody is going to take Mauer at his salary. The only justification for paying Joe what he got was that he did what he did offensively as a catcher. Even at that it's all moot because Joe has a no trade clause.

Post #: 91
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 3:46:24 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Even if they were willing to do that nobody is going to take Mauer at his salary. The only justification for paying Joe what he got was that he did what he did offensively as a catcher. Even at that it's all moot because Joe has a no trade clause.

Don't believe it.

Someone out there would take Mauer.

Joe should demand more, and if not , don't sit there and take another crappy season.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 92
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 3:51:57 PM   
SoMnFan

No ones unmovable
It requires creativity
Uh-oh
Ok, maybe one team couldn't figure it out.

Gotta give the Twins a break .... As usual.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 93
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 4:08:51 PM   
Phil Riewer

Joe is smart enough to know a new manager will mean a different attitude towards him. Also he had one of his worst years in many and probably is a bit embarrassed about it.

FYI...Molitor or Doug would bench Mauer for a couple of extra days if he ever asks out of the lineup and/or would have no problem batting him higher or lower than 3. About the best thing about letting go of cookie cutter manager.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 94
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 4:29:25 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

Besides .... As I've been whining about for years .... The manager here is allowed to set his roster, with very little GM input.
It damn-well better stay that way.

I disagree. I think Gardy is forced to keep players that have big salaries.

Fargo
Post #: 95
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 4:30:48 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Don't believe it.

Someone out there would take Mauer.

Joe should demand more, and if not , don't sit there and take another crappy season.

Ed, I rarely ever disagree with you on a baseball matter. But, I sincerely believe that there is no way in hell another team would take Mauer's contract with 4 years remaining on it. He no longer catches and he is too far removed from a great year at the plate. There is also no way in hell the Twins would pay part of his contract to facilitate a trade. Face it. We are stuck with Mauer to the bitter end.

Post #: 96
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 4:38:38 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

Besides .... As I've been whining about for years .... The manager here is allowed to set his roster, with very little GM input.

No....Gardy is the one who didn't care for Bartlett and let a solid shortstop be packaged in a trade for Delmon.
Gardy screamed bloody murder when Nathan went down and Rausch had a hiccup and demanded a closer. He didn't care for Ramos and let him be traded.
Gardy didn't like the way Hardy played back on grounders, didn't see him as a protypical shortstop who could keek a touchdown and run the bases like a madman and he was traded.

I could give you a list a mile long on how Gardy had way too much input in player personnel decisions.

Gardy doesn't care about the salaries....the higher salaries suggest the player is a veteran with veteran leadership and all those intangibles......

It wasn't a gun in the TR's hand to Gardy's head that Bartlett, Kubel and Guerrier made the team out of ST.

Gardy has had way too much input in player personnel, an area he absolutely sucks in terms of player evaluation.

Since Gardy has had such carte blanche in roster selection and player personnel decisions, it would seem to make sense if we finally have a manager with the wherewithal to make player evaluations such as Molitor, to have at least as much input as Gardy had.

My preference......player personnel decisions should be up to the FO, the GM. They get the manager the team and players....the manager should get them in the best position to play. That means, don't try to change a player into someone they are not.

Lock him up
Lock him up
Put him in a Georgia prison in general population. See how his white ass survives.
Post #: 97
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 4:40:17 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I never meant to imply anything political. If you want to infer from my comments that the GOP and the boys who run MLB are basically one in the same, a bunch of old white guys who want to see Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann naked, that is your prerogative.

Lock him up
Lock him up
Post #: 98
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 4:46:04 PM   
TJSweens

Normally girl on girl is awesome, but I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Post #: 99
RE: General Twins Talk X - 10/21/2014 5:30:41 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

No....Gardy is the one who didn't care for Bartlett and let a solid shortstop be packaged in a trade for Delmon.
Gardy screamed bloody murder when Nathan went down and Rausch had a hiccup and demanded a closer. He didn't care for Ramos and let him be traded.
Gardy didn't like the way Hardy played back on grounders, didn't see him as a protypical shortstop who could keek a touchdown and run the bases like a madman and he was traded.

I could give you a list a mile long on how Gardy had way too much input in player personnel decisions.

Gardy doesn't care about the salaries....the higher salaries suggest the player is a veteran with veteran leadership and all those intangibles......

It wasn't a gun in the TR's hand to Gardy's head that Bartlett, Kubel and Guerrier made the team out of ST.

Gardy has had way too much input in player personnel, an area he absolutely sucks in terms of player evaluation.

Since Gardy has had such carte blanche in roster selection and player personnel decisions, it would seem to make sense if we finally have a manager with the wherewithal to make player evaluations such as Molitor, to have at least as much input as Gardy had.

My preference......player personnel decisions should be up to the FO, the GM. They get the manager the team and players....the manager should get them in the best position to play. That means, don't try to change a player into someone they are not.

I feel the same way. There are too many personnel moves that were done which can be traced directly to Gardy because of assessments he stated explicitly. You highlighted a bunch in the first paragraph and those were some of the moves that helped to erode the talent within this franchise..

For the short term, we will now have Terry Ryan basically being the personnel czar pretty much overseeing all player evaluation. Frightening.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk X Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode