Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Twins Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk Page: <<   < prev  669 670 [671] 672 673   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 10:50:02 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Several Giants, including manager Gabe Kapler, first-base coach Antoan Richardson, hitting coach Justin Viele and outfielders Jaylin Davis, Mike Yastrzemski and Austin Slater, took a knee during the national anthem before Monday’s exhibition game in Oakland. Shortstop Brandon Crawford stood between Davis and Richardson and put his hand on their shoulders in a show of support.

Kapler, who has voiced support for the Black Lives Matter movement on social media in the months following George Floyd’s death in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25, said he spoke to the team beforehand and shared his plans to kneel.

Kapler, whose parents were active participants in the civil rights movement, stressed that he supported each player’s decision on whether to kneel or stand during the anthem, but he wanted to use his platform to show solidarity with the fight against social injustice and systemic racism in America.

"I did that because I wanted them to know I wasn't pleased with the way our country has handled police brutality,” Kapler said. “I told them I wanted to amplify their voices, and I wanted to amplify the voices of the Black community and marginalized communities as well.

“I told them I wanted to use my platform to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with the way we've handled racism in our country. I wanted to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with our clear systemic racism in our country. I wanted them to know that they got to make their own decisions, and we would respect and support those decisions.

"I wanted them to feel safe in speaking up, and so we had these kind of discussions for the last several days. We will continue to have them and make them part of the fabric of our clubhouse."

https://www.mlb.com/news/giants-gabe-kapler-kneel-during-national-anthem

No such thing as systemic racism in our country. Our government does not support racism so it can't be systemic.
As for protesting I'm all for it. Do it on your own time not your employers.

With no fans in the stands, I say skip the National Anthem.

Plenty of ways(for players) to voice their opinions on social issues without pissing off a certain percentage of fans.
Post #: 16751
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 10:55:14 AM  1 votes
shakeywalton

quote:

Several Giants, including manager Gabe Kapler, first-base coach Antoan Richardson, hitting coach Justin Viele and outfielders Jaylin Davis, Mike Yastrzemski and Austin Slater, took a knee during the national anthem before Monday’s exhibition game in Oakland. Shortstop Brandon Crawford stood between Davis and Richardson and put his hand on their shoulders in a show of support.

Kapler, who has voiced support for the Black Lives Matter movement on social media in the months following George Floyd’s death in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25, said he spoke to the team beforehand and shared his plans to kneel.

Kapler, whose parents were active participants in the civil rights movement, stressed that he supported each player’s decision on whether to kneel or stand during the anthem, but he wanted to use his platform to show solidarity with the fight against social injustice and systemic racism in America.

"I did that because I wanted them to know I wasn't pleased with the way our country has handled police brutality,” Kapler said. “I told them I wanted to amplify their voices, and I wanted to amplify the voices of the Black community and marginalized communities as well.

“I told them I wanted to use my platform to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with the way we've handled racism in our country. I wanted to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with our clear systemic racism in our country. I wanted them to know that they got to make their own decisions, and we would respect and support those decisions.

"I wanted them to feel safe in speaking up, and so we had these kind of discussions for the last several days. We will continue to have them and make them part of the fabric of our clubhouse."

Good for him. I'm hoping we see a lot of this now that sports are returning.
Post #: 16752
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 11:13:47 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

No such thing as systemic racism in our country. Our government does not support racism so it can't be systemic.

Plenty of ways(for players) to voice their opinions on social issues without pissing off a certain percentage of fans.

I've never really understood why it is mandatory to play The Star Spangled Banner before sporting events in the first place. I have no doubt that the people, who are deeply offended by players taking a knee during the anthem, include those who leave their hats on, keep drinking their beer or looking at their phones while it is playing.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 16753
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 12:10:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've never really understood why it is mandatory to play The Star Spangled Banner before sporting events in the first place. I have no doubt that the people, who are deeply offended by players taking a knee during the anthem, include those who leave their hats on, keep drinking their beer or looking at their phones while it is playing.

Empty places?

Don't have it.

Lots of angst resovled.

Though you can't keep everyone happy. Some will be unhappy because they can't kneel/protest.

Maybe they can during their game/event.

Randall Cunningham can have in-game lessons incase anyone needs one for taking a knee during the game.

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 7/21/2020 12:12:19 PM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 16754
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 12:21:58 PM   
Mr. Ed

ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29474430/2020-mlb-season-expert-predictions-division-picks-playoff-field-world-series-winner

AL Central
Our pick: Twins (24)

Who else got votes? Indians (5), White Sox (3)

Why did you pick the White Sox?

Among the trio of AL divisions, the Central is the most wide-open, and between Cleveland, Chicago and Minnesota, the White Sox possess the highest ceiling during this boom-or-bust season. Tim Anderson emerged as a legitimate offensive force at shortstop last season, winning the batting title despite playing in fewer than 130 games, while Lucas Giolito lived up to his former consensus top pitching prospect hype for the first time to the tune of a 3.41 ERA in 29 starts and an All-Star appearance. Toss in the free-agent additions of Dallas Keuchel and Yasmani Grandal, the continued development of Eloy Jimenez and the rookie season of Luis Robert, and this White Sox squad boasts the highest talent ceiling in the division. 2020 could be the year, amid the craziest of circumstances, the accumulation of top-tier young talent comes together on the South Side. -- Joon Lee

Escape while you can!
Post #: 16755
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 12:34:48 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Empty places?

Don't have it.

Lots of angst resovled.

Though you can't keep everyone happy. Some will be unhappy because they can't kneel/protest.

Randall Cunningham can have in-game lessons incase anyone needs one for taking a knee during the game.

The NBA put a gag order(China) on its members for financial reasons.

MLB can do the same thing.
Post #: 16756
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 12:38:00 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29474430/2020-mlb-season-expert-predictions-division-picks-playoff-field-world-series-winner

AL Central

Among the trio of AL divisions, the Central is the most wide-open, and between Cleveland, Chicago and Minnesota, the White Sox possess the highest ceiling during this boom-or-bust season. Tim Anderson emerged as a legitimate offensive force at shortstop last season, winning the batting title despite playing in fewer than 130 games, while Lucas Giolito lived up to his former consensus top pitching prospect hype for the first time to the tune of a 3.41 ERA in 29 starts and an All-Star appearance. Toss in the free-agent additions of Dallas Keuchel and Yasmani Grandal, the continued development of Eloy Jimenez and the rookie season of Luis Robert, and this White Sox squad boasts the highest talent ceiling in the division. 2020 could be the year, amid the craziest of circumstances, the accumulation of top-tier young talent comes together on the South Side. -- Joon Lee

I highly dispute that opinion. I like the job that Chicago is doing of building, but they aren't at that level of talent yet. The Twins improved the lineup and pitching from a 105 win season. They have a bunch of young power arms and power bats knocking on the door. Chicago most definitely does not have a higher talent ceiling than the Twins.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 16757
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 12:54:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

ESPN

AL Central

I highly dispute that opinion. I like the job that Chicago is doing of building, but they aren't at that level of talent yet. The Twins improved the lineup and pitching from a 105 win season. They have a bunch of young power arms and power bats knocking on the door. Chicago most definitely does not have a higher talent ceiling than the Twins.

Won't get any argument on that from me. Chicago system has some potential arms coming; so do the Twins. It's subjective, just like top minor league guys...but currently at the majors, I don't think their ceiling is any higher than the Twins. Cleveland? Maybe. Giolito could be pretty tough, but then again, so could Berrios. Both wore down as the year went on.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 16758
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 1:00:38 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ESPN

AL Central

Are you including spring training wins?

55% of Republicans think the Earth is 5,000 years old. All kinds of people believe all kinds of crazy things. You just gotta move on, man.

-James Carville - 12/15/20 - The Beat with Ari Melber
Post #: 16759
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 1:02:53 PM   
TJSweens

The White Sox are definitely a team on the rise. Cleveland showed last year that they should not be underestimated. Neither one can field a 1 - 9 lineup like the Twins.

Post #: 16760
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 1:04:38 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Are you including spring training wins?

Yes. There were a few that were so impressive that they should have counted in the regular season.

Post #: 16761
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 3:14:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ESPN

AL Central

Agreed that writer is beyond idiotic.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 16762
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 3:56:42 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Empty places?

Don't have it.

Lots of angst resovled.

ha ha -- I can finally laugh about this a little ...
Post #: 16763
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 4:01:14 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

I've never really understood why it is mandatory to play The Star Spangled Banner before sporting events in the first place.

Ever since it became a form of protest I've never liked the anthem being played at sporting events - never gave it much thought prior.

Ill feel better when they stop playing it.
Post #: 16764
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/21/2020 7:58:16 PM   
Ricky J

Got my FSN today!

I was testing it out watching 2019 Twins v. Yankees. Polonco, Cruz back-to-back - remember that?

- then I hear: Everybody Clap Your Hands, clap clap clap clap clap clap clap[/I]

- it's going to be a weird one, but I'm in ....
Post #: 16765
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 8:37:28 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

I've never really understood why it is mandatory to play The Star Spangled Banner before sporting events in the first place.

Ever since it became a form of protest I've never liked the anthem being played at sporting events - never gave it much thought prior.

Same boat
One good way to avoid stupid conflict
Stop doing the thing that causes it

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 16766
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 9:06:14 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Same boat
One good way to avoid stupid conflict
Stop doing the thing that causes it

Yes. I don't watch the game for the anthem. Vegas would be pissed losing betting dollars over the length of the anthem in the Super Bowl.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 16767
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 9:11:25 AM   
TJSweens

Are they going to have cardboard cutouts of the fans in the seats? If they do that at Target Field, will they start removing them after the 7th inning to replicate a real Twins game experience.

Post #: 16768
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 9:13:15 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Are they going to have cardboard cutouts of the fans in the seats? If they do that at Target Field, will they start removing them after the 7th inning to replicate a real Twins game experience.

have the cutouts facing each other and not watching the game to also replicate the experience.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 16769
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 9:14:17 AM   
Mr. Ed

Put a few down the foul lines an in the OF seats

And have a contest to pick the cutout that gets hit by a ball first. Extra bonus if the cutout's head is taken off by the baseball.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 16770
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 9:15:37 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

have the cutouts facing each other and not watching the game to also replicate the experience.

I would estimate, conservatively, that at least half of them would have to be captured looking at their phones to make it an authentic experience.

Post #: 16771
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 10:05:25 AM   
SoMnFan

love these ideas

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 16772
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 10:12:53 AM   
TJSweens

It's all about the fan experience my man.

Post #: 16773
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 11:32:03 AM   
Mr. Ed

I can just see it. Peppering cutouts

and soon

Cardboard Cutout Lives Matter!!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 16774
RE: General Twins Talk - 7/22/2020 11:33:00 AM   
SoMnFan

Better extend the netting!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 16775
Page:   <<   < prev  669 670 [671] 672 673   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk Page: <<   < prev  669 670 [671] 672 673   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode