Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

NCAA Baseball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> NCAA Baseball Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NCAA Baseball - 5/31/2015 9:23:04 PM   
djskillz

Lovin' the regionals so far. My Waves eliminate ASU today. Pamela Anderson's happy. Hopefully they can take down Fullerton too.

Vandy 1 win away from a Super Regional as well.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/1/2015 5:24:38 PM   
djskillz

My Waves got eliminated by Fullerton.

Vandy playing angry today. Now 20-0 in their game...in the 6th inning.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/1/2015 10:58:20 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

My Waves got eliminated by Fullerton.

Vandy playing angry today. Now 20-0 in their game...in the 6th inning.

Ended up 21-0
Against the TWO seed.
Weird.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 3
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 2:50:12 PM   
djskillz

21-0 in that one, and now 13-0 yesterday (against the #1 staff in America) in their first super regional game. So they've scored (at least) 34 unanswered runs in the tourney.

Post #: 4
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 7:26:15 PM   
SoMnFan

Bullies.
I'd plunk every one.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 8:00:40 PM   
djskillz

The rain stopped 'em today, SMF.

Great finish in the TCU/A&M game. Lovin' this so far.

Post #: 6
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 8:19:34 PM   
SoMnFan

Crazy all the great D plays so far
Catches catches and more catches. Of the circus variety.
Some good athletes chasing em down so far.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 8:33:28 PM   
djskillz

No doubt. What really struck me this year?

ONE West coast team (Fullerton) out of the final 16. One. I'm talking West of TEXAS.

That is incredibly rare, and weird.

Post #: 8
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 8:39:27 PM   
SoMnFan

Its very similar to what we see in college hockey and lacrosse
There are no boundaries anymore
Small, relatively unknown schools and new areas of the country are starting to become common names and powers
Good, young coaches and ADs spreading out around the country, pushing their sports in different areas and at different schools.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 9
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 8:44:30 PM   
djskillz

Yep. Really interesting to see. I know we've had this talk, but it's still so odd to me how big hockey is becoming in Nashville of all places. Crazy.

And lacrosse is just exploding all over the country. I could see it taking a big bite out of football (concussion risk) in the next 15-20 years. Buddy of mine started/runs one of the biggest Lacrosse gear shops in the country in LA. Methinks he will do quite well with that as this continues to grow.

Post #: 10
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 8:46:54 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Yep. Really interesting to see. I know we've had this talk, but it's still so odd to me how big hockey is becoming in Nashville of all places. Crazy.

And lacrosse is just exploding all over the country. I could see it taking a big bite out of football (concussion risk) in the next 15-20 years.

Just had an interesting panel discussion on it the other day
Some "activists" claim it will SOON replace football at the HS level.
Yes, completely. It sounds ludicrous, but think about it ... there will soon be the feeling that its child abuse to put your child into a football program.
Not my words ... but many others I have heard speak on it.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 8:49:41 PM   
djskillz

Yep. I've never really gotten into it, but I've always really enjoyed lacrosse when I've watched it. Would be great for hockey you'd think too because they're so similar in a lot of ways. I'll take both of them over soccer, that's for damn sure. Sorry Jeff...

I think we've had this talk too, but I already know that whenever I have kids they will not be playing football. Maybe I'd feel different if I played it (us basketball guys weren't allowed to play both by my coaches), but it's just not worth it IMO. And I don't really see how they can make the game safe barring changes to the point of making it flag football.

Post #: 12
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 8:55:12 PM   
SoMnFan

Its the perfect hockey training game.
Hand-eye skills like crazy ..... It looks easy but its not.
We love seeing our guys play it.
I've been forcing it on them for a decade.
Its exhausting, especially when you start out and cant catch well. The motivation to catch and pass well (to cut down on the running required) is awesome.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 13
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 9:11:54 PM   
SoMnFan

We're getting a lot of crossover athletes from soccer lately, been good for our guys.
Timed perfectly, the seasons ... and they come in in great shape.
With better foot skills. The lacrosse/soccer/golf/hockey links could get very strong in the years ahead.

That said ... our HS baseball team just made state, and their top 6 guys are my hockey players.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 14
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 10:29:13 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

We're getting a lot of crossover athletes from soccer lately, been good for our guys.
With better foot skills. The lacrosse/soccer/golf/hockey links could get very strong in the years ahead.

That said ... our HS baseball team just made state, and their top 6 guys are my hockey players.

That's no coincidence.

Good luck to the Tigs.

The locals of L-A made it to state,too.

But sorry, no hockey players in that bunch.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 15
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/7/2015 10:31:48 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Congrats. I always admire those multi sport competitors.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 16
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/8/2015 7:24:09 PM   
djskillz

Vandy advances with a nice win. What a couple of hours that must be for Swanson/Fulmer/Buehler.

Only 2 remaining Super Regionals to be determined. CWS may end up being 5 SEC teams and 3 ACC teams.

Post #: 17
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/15/2015 8:54:34 PM   
djskillz

The Dores with a heck of a break. Fullerton's stud pitcher is wasted with a postponed finish of yesterdays' game....so today Vandy gets a walkoff win in the bottom of the 9th with a 2-run jack from the freshman. Huge win, and the defending champs begin the CWS 1-0.

Steve, good chance I'm out there this weekend; will let you know. I should know for sure in the next couple days.

Post #: 18
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/16/2015 9:11:39 PM   
djskillz

Vandy no-hit by a dominant Alex Young for TCU through 6...when Twins' 12th rd pick Zander Wiel crushes HR to break up the no-hitter and give them a 1-0 lead.

SMF approves of this pick.

Post #: 19
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/16/2015 9:33:33 PM   
SoMnFan

Yes. Yes he does.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 20
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/16/2015 9:34:19 PM   
SoMnFan

Now, if only he was a pitcher, too.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 21
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/17/2015 8:45:20 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Vandy no-hit by a dominant Alex Young for TCU through 6...when Twins' 12th rd pick Zander Wiel crushes HR to break up the no-hitter and give them a 1-0 lead.

SMF approves of this pick.

@philgrogers
1B Zander Wiel, whose bat has carried Vandy to a 2-0 start in the CWS, lasted till 12th round in draft. I bet he flies thru Twins' system.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 22
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/20/2015 3:44:29 PM   
djskillz

Good win by the Dores yesterday to advance to the finals. Will be interesting to see the matchup. Will either be Virginia, who they beat in a great finals series last year, or Florida, who is their biggest rival and kryptonite. Should be a good one.

Steve, get your Dores' gear ready.

Post #: 23
RE: NCAA Baseball - 6/25/2015 9:13:08 PM   
djskillz

Really tough finish for Vandy. The hits just didn't fall; bad luck. Horrible BABIP in the finals series. But congrats to Virginia as well. They cobbled it together even being behind the 8-ball on pitching for the championship series.

Great experience. And I'll give a shout out to Steve. What a fantastic host in Omaha and was great to meet him. Didn't expect anything less from one of my favorite posters. Great group of dudes and he definitely bleeds Twins. I've said it before and I'll say it again; if you love baseball, go to Omaha some time in your life. It's an awesome experience. One of my favorite events in sports.

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> NCAA Baseball Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode