Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/19/2018 1:12:16 AM   
Minnyme

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Whalen didn't want a season long retirement party. She really didn't even want a 2 home game retirement party. Classy.

Exactly. No motivational move by Reeve, she just wanted Whay to get the recognition she deserves and allow fans & media alike a chance to show appreciation. Even though Lindsay would likely be ok without it lol.

Nice Washington Post article on her early yrs in CT.
No matter how much Sid, media a locals thought the Lynx could/should have traded everyone and everything for Whalen, the Lynx had NO shot at her. Mike Thibault said after the draft that he, "had no intention of trading that #4 pick because he got what he wanted." And lord knows the Lynx at the time had nothing CT wanted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/lindsay-whalen-and-mike-thibault-are-like-family-the-lynx-mystics-finale-will-be-a-reunion/2018/08/18/305b3acc-a281-11e8-83d2-70203b8d7b44_story.html?noredirect=on

...That power to lead is what Thibault noticed most when he started scouting Whalen during her junior year in college, which was also his first year in the WNBA. Thibault, who also hails from Minnesota, saw a good ballhandler and reliable scorer who changed directions on the basketball court like she was a hockey player, which Whalen was growing up.

Part of me wanted to stay home, but I knew that it was going to be best to go out and learn a new area and really grow up,” Whalen said. “He and his family have become a second family to me. That’s how he is. He’s family-oriented. He’s all about making sure people are happy and doing well off the court and doing well on the court.”

Thibault wanted Whalen as the centerpiece of his franchise, just as she had been in college at Minnesota. But the role in the pros was different. Though she found her voice early on as a young point guard, she was humbled her rookie year in the WNBA finals when Seattle picked her out as her team’s defensive weakness. She learned how to take care of her body in the offseason and weather the highs and lows of professional basketball. …

------------------------------------

A fitting send-off

During her career in Connecticut, Whalen spoke frankly with her coach about her desire to finish her career in Minnesota if they could ever find the right time for a trade.

That moment arrived in 2010. Thibault needed to rebuild in Connecticut and Minnesota needed a point guard capable of taking it to the next level, so the Lynx traded the No. 1 overall pick in that year’s draft(Tina Charles) and Renee Montgomery for Whalen and the No. 2 pick(Monica Wright).

“It was the perfect storm,” Thibault said.
Post #: 3501
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/19/2018 1:37:53 AM   
Minnyme

Finally game #34 would be nice for our 17-16 Lynx to come out with a win to finish above .500.

D. Robinson is out for the rest of the season having had ankle surgery this week and Brunson is questionable (concussion). She was on the road trip n CT on Friday night but Reeve has said she hand not passed the protocol yet so she may not be ready.

Game time from Target center 6pm ct, TV - ESPN2 - all 12 teams in action on this final day of the regular season. Only spots 1, 7 & 8 are locked in so lost for teams to play for.

Lynx will travel to either Phx, l.a. or CT for a gme on Tue 8/21 for 1st round, single elim of the play-off.
Post #: 3502
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 10:23:11 AM   
David Levine

Fowles set the WNBA’s single season record for total rebounds with 404, and rebounds per game with 11.88.
Post #: 3503
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 10:23:27 AM   
David Levine

Can we win a single-elimination game at LA?
Post #: 3504
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 11:36:44 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Yes we can. Will we? Who knows and he's not telling.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3505
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 11:38:02 AM   
TJSweens

We have beaten them there and lost to them there. We have beaten them here and lost to them here. It will come down to turnovers and Maya. If we quit turning the ball over against LA and Maya decides she is not going to allow herself to be shutdown against the Sparx, we have a good shot.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3506
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 11:38:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Yes we can. Will we? Who knows and he's not telling.

Matters if Brunson is healthy and can play.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3507
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 12:14:41 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

The Lynx are the 7-seed, so they play the 2-seed Atlanta Dream.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3508
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 12:43:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

The Lynx are the 7-seed, so they play the 2-seed Atlanta Dream.

So the Dream lose their first round bye? That seems unfair.

It also seems completely untrue...

http://www.wnba.com/playoffs2018/
Post #: 3509
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 1:04:37 PM   
twinsfan

I guess I should stay in my lane.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3510
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 6:41:17 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

It is a very strange playoff format tiered with bye's for the team with the top four records. 6 plays 7 in round one and 5 plays 8. The winners move on to play the 3 and 4 seeds. The winners of that round move on to play the 1-2 seeds.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3511
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 6:59:38 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

It is a very strange playoff format tiered with bye's for the team with the top four records. 6 plays 7 in round one and 5 plays 8. The winners move on to play the 3 and 4 seeds. The winners of that round move on to play the 1-2 seeds.

I like it. Thanks for the info that DL either didn't know or didn't care to share with me.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3512
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 7:33:33 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like it. Thanks for the info that DL either didn't know or didn't care to share with me.

I got an idea.

How about doing a second of research before playing Mr. Know It All?

You also apparently didn't click on my link if you feel I didn't provide you the needed info.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 8/20/2018 7:37:18 PM >
Post #: 3513
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 8:04:32 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I got an idea.

How about doing a second of research before playing Mr. Know It All?

You also apparently didn't click on my link if you feel I didn't provide you the needed info.

I clicked on it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3514
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/20/2018 11:14:29 PM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

DL often likes to point out mistakes and make people feel bad.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3515
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 2:52:15 PM   
SoMnFan

Over the 2016 and '17 regular seasons and playoffs, the Lynx and Sparks met 16 times, with each winning eight games. The Sparks took the first title, the Lynx the second. But even before this season opened, we offered five reasons Los Angeles and Minnesota wouldn't end up in the WNBA Finals again.

Age and injuries were two of them, and they have affected the Lynx in particular. Whalen, 36, considered retiring before the season, and it's clear that she's ready to transition full time to college coaching when this WNBA season ends. Rebekkah Brunson, 36, and Seimone Augustus, 34, are still starters for the Lynx, although injuries limited Brunson to 25 games this season. She didn't play in the regular-season finale, and neither did guard Danielle Robinson, who had surgery on her ankle last week.

Maya Moore (18.0 PPG) and Sylvia Fowles (17.7 PPG and 11.9 RPG) remain elite players. But Moore has struggled with her shot more this season than anytime in her career. And there have been times when the load on Fowles has been a bit too much.
Post #: 3516
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 2:59:23 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Over the 2016 and '17 regular seasons and playoffs, the Lynx and Sparks met 16 times, with each winning eight games. The Sparks took the first title, the Lynx the second. But even before this season opened, we offered five reasons Los Angeles and Minnesota wouldn't end up in the WNBA Finals again.

Age and injuries were two of them, and they have affected the Lynx in particular. Whalen, 36, considered retiring before the season, and it's clear that she's ready to transition full time to college coaching when this WNBA season ends. Rebekkah Brunson, 36, and Seimone Augustus, 34, are still starters for the Lynx, although injuries limited Brunson to 25 games this season. She didn't play in the regular-season finale, and neither did guard Danielle Robinson, who had surgery on her ankle last week.

Maya Moore (18.0 PPG) and Sylvia Fowles (17.7 PPG and 11.9 RPG) remain elite players. But Moore has struggled with her shot more this season than anytime in her career. And there have been times when the load on Fowles has been a bit too much.

Yuck

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3517
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 3:00:43 PM   
twinsfan

Watch the Twins face the CWS phenom that throws 105 mph, then flip to the Lynx playoff game at 9:30! Great night for MN sports!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3518
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 3:02:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I think tonight could be fun. We're good enough to steal a single game from LA, but I think they have our number if we had to play a full series against them.
Post #: 3519
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 3:07:53 PM   
twinsfan

I agree, DL. The Sparks have proven they are the better team. They are the 6 seed and we are the 7. But one game? Who knows?!?! I like our chances, especially if Whalen gets a lot of minutes in the 4th quarter.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3520
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 3:11:47 PM   
TJSweens

Is Brunson playing?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3521
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 3:14:36 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Is Brunson playing?

Of course she is! Why wouldn't our 3rd best player be on the court in a one-and-done playoff game?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3522
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 3:17:43 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

kg, I appreciate your friendly reply, even though it was to correct my ignorance on the WNBA playoff format. DL was snarky when he replied to me, wouldn't you say? Go SCSU (only if the Beavers or Gophers are not involved)!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3523
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 3:20:16 PM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Is Brunson playing?

Of course she is! Why wouldn't our 3rd best player be on the court in a one-and-done playoff game?

She's been out with a concussion and was listed as questionable, you boob.

Post #: 3524
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 8/21/2018 3:22:44 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Is Brunson playing?

She's still listed as Questionable.

Concussions are a bitch.
Post #: 3525
Page:   <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode