Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Just Out Of Curiosity

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Just Out Of Curiosity Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 2:19:27 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Loving the backgrounds
Keep em coming please.

Yup. Been great.

Can't believe someone got a negative rating for sharing theirs. Got a guess on who slapped it on there. Someone who would never share in something like this, only trolls, and should be given the boot.

Crazy, aint it?
Always great to see ya, Skilz.
Post #: 51
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 2:49:50 PM   
ebergste

Only 34 here. Been a Vikings Fan for life but really got excited watching John Randle. I played DE in school and idolized him. I loved the 98-2000 years, Randy Moss will always have a special place in my heart. But I was an even bigger Cris Carter fan. Kind of bummed that he has become such a jerk. In High School the tiny towns of Wimbledon and North Central (about 300 people each) in North Dakota combined their football programs and got Chuck Forman and Otis Sistrunk to come to a football camp. I was super excited about Chuck Forman and had never heard of Sistrunk. Chuck Forman was a complete jerk and looked like he was wondering how the hell he got stuck in this tiny little hole, he even charged for autographs. Otis Sistruck was amazing he worked with us and showed us NFL moves and told stories. I almost became a Raiders fan after that but stuck with the Vikings. I'm very excited about these Vikings because they seem like good people, (a certain RB excluded) Hopefully when they are out working with kids they are creating legions of young Vikings fans.
Post #: 52
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 4:05:20 PM   
Tim Cady

Great question Dan! Thanks for asking, very therapeutic. I have dropped parts of this information at various times, including on the Seattle game day thread just last week, but here goes how it happened and the first time I bled Purple. My age: 52 years, 6 months and 15 days.
I grew up in Camas, then Vancouver, Washington. In the late sixties early 70s, my chums were all LA fans, Rams, Dodgers. I loved Johnny Bench and the Reds, they were my team I was all baseball when I was very young. Back then the Reds and Dodgers were great rivals in the National League West. My Dad loved John Brodie and the San Francisco 49ers. I had a red 49er stocking cap, and I got picked on when I wore it, but I wore it anyway because my Dad picked it out for me. This was in the days where the hair product for men commercials exclaimed the "Wet head is dead." So of course my little LA Rams comrades changed that to the Red Head is dead. My first joy with the Vikings was them beating the Rams in the playoffs, I didn't become bleeder at that time but I tended to root for them as the lessor of all evils. I hated the Rams, Oakland, the Steelers and my most hated team was what was referred to As America's Team - the Dallas Cowboys. You know where this is going; I felt they got screwed as a 12 year old on the Hail Mary. My allegiance did not start there though because I had a new shiny object. The Seattle Seahawks, finally the state of Washington had a team and they we were NFC, for one year, then AFC. So I had my NFC San Francisco 49ers and My AFC Seattle Seahawks with Jack Patera from the Bud Grant coaching tree Jim Zorn and Steve Largent. In 1977, a couple of years after my dad passed away, my Mom visited some relatives from North Dakota, her cousin played cupid with a farmer and in the summer of 1977 I was in the back of a Suburban with my dog traveling to Karnak, North Dakota, population 9 (that included my mom and me.) Talk about Culture shock. I was instructed that I had to be a Viking fan and being 14 and out of my element, I naturally declined. Then a funny thing happened in 1979, with limited television we got all the Notre Dame games. I found a college quarterback that I could not get enough of I thought he was so cool, his name was Joe Montana. My Aunt, who is like a mother to me to this day, was living in Palo Alto and she was always giving me news on the 49ers. Bill Walsh was this genius coach and he drafted Joe. So my college years were spent watching my Aunts team win the Super Bowl with my favorite player.
In 1985, I married a Minnesota girl. Prior to the marriage I made a bet with my future father in law, regarding his Vikings, you see he knew Fran Tarkenton. My father in law was in graduate school at Bemidji State in 1961, and he worked at the college during training camp. So I bet him if Bud Grant’s Minnesota Vikings (The year after Less Steckle) could win the opener against San Francisco (coming off another Super Bowl victory) I would commit to rooting for the Vikings for a year maybe longer if I could stand, you know for harmony and that sort of thing.

I got so into my new team that I knew more about them after a few months than the relatives. The first time I bled, really felt the pain, was the Darren Nelson drop to tie the game in Washington DC. That strike shortened year where the replacements screwed our record up. Our team was really 8-4, as far as I was concerned.

I was hook line and sinker with my Brother in law on the Hershel trade. I thought we were going to crush everybody, we actually got worse, I think. I knew the transition had taken full effect and there was no coming back when I would argue that Anthony Carter was better than Jerry Rice, when he owned and upset the 49ers in the playoffs, I was rooting full force for the Purple. You see this was my team, not my Dad’s, not my Aunts not some random expansion team.

The rest is history my daughter was born in 1988 my son in 1990, while my daughter acts like you she doesn’t care my son is cursed, even from Hawaii, he was crushed two days ago and we processed it for almost an hour. The longest I ever saw him cry in his whole life, was 45 straight minutes in 1999, after we lost to Atlanta. My daughter just got engaged to a kid who grew up in California but moved to Minnesota 10 years ago, he is cursed and bleeds purple too! In fact he was at the game two days ago, said it was a long ride home to Nisswa.

That is my Purple Blood story and I am sticking to it. Passing the blood letting on to future generations as best I can.

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 53
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 4:23:21 PM  1 votes
kurt bilben

It's not the years, it's the mileage-51

I can say without a doubt (Eventhough I love the Blazers) nothing other then family tugs at my emotions like the Minnesota Vikings.

First recollection was a tandem of Gary Cuozzo, and Norm Snead as our QB's. My pops family was from Walker, MN.

From Lake Oswego, OR, I'm sure I would've hated the Seahawks even if they were around in my early years.

Tough not to love those 70's years that we got Fran back. Crushed with every SB loss, but the one advantage I had when we moved to SoCal was that we owned the Rams!

I was fortunate enough to play quite a lot of golf with a former Viking player in the early 90's, and got to hang with those guys.

A couple of my favorite comments/ moments (Hope I'm not boring anybody). Walking into a fairly rough looking bar in San Diego, and having Anthony Carter grab me by the shoulder to say "I got your back in here" He was the smallest dude in our group.

Or getting carried out of the Blue Tattoo nightclub VIP room through a full dance floor (because I had just had ACL surgery) by Chris Doleman, and Henry Thomas crutches, and all....

These dudes were as cool as they could be. Golfers not so much so (Except my buddy Vencie who got pretty good)

I wear my emotions on my sleeve about my boys! (The Vikes) If I've gotten hot with some of you guys (Especially on the GD thread) I apologize. This is the one entity of my life I can remember being huge to me since I was literally 5 yo.
Post #: 54
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 6:54:43 PM   
ratoppenheimer

born in the university of minnesota hospital while my father was a student there

moved to west hollywood, california when i was three

i would put together epic sandlot football games at west hollywood park friday nights when i was eight years old - we'd play until midnight and walk home

fell in love with the vikings 1969 - carl eller was my favorite player

had a wonderful romance with the vikings through the '70s - zero vikings' news on the west coast...had to call the sports line by telephone to get updates/scores

was known as the 'vikings fan' by everyone and had a fierce rivalry with my friends - rams fans all

always invited to all the rams' home games by a television producer friend of my fathers from minnesota - i always rooted against the rams...still do

when i run into people that haven't seen me for years one of the first things they ask me is if i'm still a vikings' fan - when the vikes lose a tough one or a nationally televised game i know there are hundreds of people out there thinking of me...cussing me out and loving my pain a little

i'll be a fan forever...win or lose...only one team for me

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 55
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 6:57:00 PM   
Art

Been a good thread Dan ... definitely enjoying it.
Steve, we're ALL pulling for ya.
Todd O, I think your fingers typed some wrong numerical keys in your post
This has been a good exercise in learning for me ... about some of the people I've been [talking] to for many years, but also in understanding there is a human side to sports whether it's our players or us fans.

What happened?
Post #: 56
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 7:13:34 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

Been a good thread Dan ... definitely enjoying it.
Steve, we're ALL pulling for ya.
Todd O, I think your fingers typed some wrong numerical keys in your post
This has been a good exercise in learning for me ... about some of the people I've been [talking] to for many years, but also in understanding there is a human side to sports whether it's our players or us fans.

Yeah, 36 and Bill Brown don't work very well together do they?
Post #: 57
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 7:42:22 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Loving the backgrounds
Keep em coming please.

Yup. Been great.

Can't believe someone got a negative rating for sharing theirs. Got a guess on who slapped it on there. Someone who would never share in something like this, only trolls, and should be given the boot.

Crazy, aint it?
Always great to see ya, Skilz.

Ditto, brotha. Life's been crazy again, but had to come back in for a bit after that. Uggh. Will catch up soon on the Twins; probably around spring training, which is a month away!

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 58
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/12/2016 11:49:33 PM  1 votes
Ian Joseph

Saw this thread earlier and had to get in on it.. this is EASILY the best thread we've ever had on this site.

I'm the youngest 39 ever. I became a fan during the 87-88 season, when the Vikes beat the 49ers ass in the playoffs (I actually got a chance to re-watch that game in 2013 when TOE hooked up his video archive at the house the brethren rented). Now, granted I was only 11 at the time of the game, but that's when I chose ranks.

There wasn't a particular time that serves as the point that I bled purple, but more so just being older and learning more about the team. But, if there was a moment where that occurred, it was Dennis Green's first year. That was the first year that I experienced joy and heartbreak with the team, most notably when they lost to the Redskins in the wild card round. From then on, my fandom grew, most notably, when my extended relative, one Warren Moon, signed with the team. I actually knew about it a week before it was announced.

I've only grown to be a bigger fan, which probably began to peak (and still is) when I found The Strib and all you jokers. I knew a couple of Vikings fans, but none were all that passionate; there is nothing like sharing space and time with someone that shares your passion, in this case the Minnesota Vikings. People like Art, Kurt, Jason, Todd O, Toddy (he misses that, I think), Dustin, Greg, David, Delain, Ricky and everyone else that I could list for a week have taught me what its like to share that love of being a Vikings fan and the experiences I've had and will continue to have with them are special.

Being a season ticket holder isn't the ultimate, but its made me fully feel comfortable with the fact that although I live in Los Angeles, it will never feel more like home when I'm in Minnesota at a Vikings game. Attending my first game in Minnesota (Ponder's first start versus Green Bay) was actually weird from the sense of being there; it felt surreal and almost awkward. But, I knew it was where I belonged, at least as a fan. The game a few weeks ago did nothing to except further cement that fact.

I have no idea what to expect with the new stadium and how it will further cement my love for this team, although it will be the first time I get to share the experience with my older daughter. And of course, I have no earthly idea how it will be WHEN this team wins a super bowl. I know I'll cry. I know I'll act a fool. And I doubt that anybody will be happier than me, except maybe a bunch of you.

Love all you guys, even those that get their troll on.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 59
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 12:43:20 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

First game I can remember was the Pittsburgh Superbowl. I'm sure we had watched games before that, but that one was such an event that it stuck in my mind and I can remember all kinds of moments from that one to this day.

My uncle Jim is the guy who made me want to be a Vikings fan. He was just such a cool guy and he knew so much about football. I wanted to be like him.

Of course when I was a kid playing football, I always had myself as Fran Tarkenton or Chuck Foreman. Always had to scramble around as QB and even tried the spin move from time-to-time when I'd run the ball. Can't say I was ever any good at either position (!) but I was always good at catching the ball.

When our Vikes beat SF in 1987 I was absolutely sure that was our year. I immediately went out and had horns tatooed on either side of my skull. Every once in a while, I shave the sides of my head... people I've known for years will say they didn't know I had them !

I did that once for a Bears game at Soldier Field. Nearly got into at least a dozen fights that day and it got worse as the game (and the alcohol) wore on.

Of course 98 was a gut punch. The moment we drafted Randy Moss, I felt like we were probably the most talented team in the league. While losing to a 14-2 Atlanta wasn't an embarassment (like some other times I could list), it definitely felt like we underachieved in the circumstance. That was literally the exact opposite feeling as the one I have right now, about these guys.

Nevertheless, to this day my best memories were all PPE. Sneaking out of bed to watch the Monday Night highlights on a little POS 13" rabbit-ears TV. Relishing every moment of the few games I could watch in real time. Collecting football cards of my favorite guys. That is how I will always think of my Vikings, even after this group wins a Superbowl.

Thanks for sharing this crazy journey with me.

PPE II baby
Post #: 60
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 4:01:42 AM   
Brian Nagel

Good stuff, always kinda wondered how people become fans of respective teams, especially out of State-ers.

I'm 49, born/raised in Minny. I come from a pretty big family (10 kids), with 5 brothers. Ever since I can remember, Sundays were Vikings and playing football outside before and after the game. Hell, even the dog played. We'd use him as a blocker because he'd always run with the guy who had the ball and we'd cut back behind him and he'd take somebody's leg's out. Bread bags in the snow boots, an old slippery football from who know's when and snot bubbles flying everywhere. Fumbles were encouraged, just for the scrum. We were Chuck Foreman, Dave Osborne, Boom Boom, Eller, Page, Krause...everyone loudly announcing who they were while the action unfolded. We had a rule before the official horse collar penalty. It was called "hood tackles". NO HOOD TACKLING! I still yell out "HOOD TACKLE!" when I see a horse collar during a game. We'd stack up inner tubes in a pile and do the goal line Walter Payton end zone dive over them. Man, Payton was awesome. I always wished he was a Viking.

Missed a few seasons while in the Marines. Tried to stay current through the newspapers, always hungry for more information than the box score. Good times bantering about everyone's favorite team with fellow Marines, from coast to coast.

Lived in Florida, Maine, and Ohio before moving back to Minnesota. Got my Vikings fix in those Sates by hitting the local sports bars to catch the game.
Post #: 61
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 5:04:25 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

I'm 36, been a fan since I was old enough to understand the concept of football, my earliest memory included guys like Paul Flatley, Tommy Mason, Bill Brown, the PPE were soon to come. Used to dive over the snow piles on the side of the street "Bill Brown leaps over the line into the endzone touchdown!".

I call major Bull shit...

36 means you were born in either 1979 0r 1980

brown played football for the Vikes until 1974 and Mason until 1966.. impossible for you to have "early memories..

now if you meant 56 or 66 then yea.. ok...

"Thou shall not bear false witness"
There will be hell to pay.
Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the “M” is silent.......
Post #: 62
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 5:12:29 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

He started counting backwards year-by-year once he hit 75.

PPE II baby
Post #: 63
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 3:56:09 PM   
Lars

I'm 45 and moved to MN in grade school in the late 70s. Lived in MI before that. My family is scattered all over the country, and my folks were not sports fans, so I did not have any connection to any sports team. I liked the Vikings as a kid (Foreman was my fav), but also liked the (gulp) Cowpukes a little. I liked some of their players (Dorsett in particular). I abandoned them pretty quickly and had decent interest in the Vikes, but not tons. I knew all along, however, that I was NOT a fan of the Packers. :)

The 87 Vikes got me interested, big time. I remember those playoff games like yesterday. That was the moment I was hooked. My fandom increased over the next few years and hasn't let up since.

I moved to MI in 1990 and brought my purple blood with me. Surrounded by CHI, GB and DET fans. Have had DirecTv for years (since the 90s) so I would not miss a game. Been to many games at the Dome.

98 crushed me. I was soooo geeked when we drafted Moss and knew that was our year. I was really down for several days after that loss.

41-0 was just an embarrassment. It was different than 98.

2009 was kinda like 1998. But it felt weird cuz it was Favre. I thought we should win it all, but the loss didn't bother nearly as much as 98 because I almost felt like we would have needed an asterick because Favre was the QB. I will say the officiating in that game and the numerous non-calls for hits on Favre almost caused me to quit watching FB. I was disgusted.

I really love the grit and style of this coach and most of the team. It is a no-BS approach and I love it. I feel better about the outlook for this team than I have in a long, long time.

I have been friends with people on here going back to the old Strib board days. That says a lot about us, folks. Think about that.

When we win that SB, and I truly believe it is coming soon, we need to have a TalkVikes SB party to celebrate. It would be one for the ages.

SKOL Vikings!!

<this space for rent>
Post #: 64
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 5:33:37 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

I'm 36, been a fan since I was old enough to understand the concept of football, my earliest memory included guys like Paul Flatley, Tommy Mason, Bill Brown, the PPE were soon to come. Used to dive over the snow piles on the side of the street "Bill Brown leaps over the line into the endzone touchdown!".

I call major Bull shit...

36 means you were born in either 1979 0r 1980

brown played football for the Vikes until 1974 and Mason until 1966.. impossible for you to have "early memories..

now if you meant 56 or 66 then yea.. ok...

It's 66, Dan.
Post #: 65
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 5:38:16 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brian Nagel

Good stuff, always kinda wondered how people become fans of respective teams, especially out of State-ers.

I'm 49, born/raised in Minny. I come from a pretty big family (10 kids), with 5 brothers. Ever since I can remember, Sundays were Vikings and playing football outside before and after the game. Hell, even the dog played. We'd use him as a blocker because he'd always run with the guy who had the ball and we'd cut back behind him and he'd take somebody's leg's out. Bread bags in the snow boots, an old slippery football from who know's when and snot bubbles flying everywhere. Fumbles were encouraged, just for the scrum. We were Chuck Foreman, Dave Osborne, Boom Boom, Eller, Page, Krause...everyone loudly announcing who they were while the action unfolded. We had a rule before the official horse collar penalty. It was called "hood tackles". NO HOOD TACKLING! I still yell out "HOOD TACKLE!" when I see a horse collar during a game. We'd stack up inner tubes in a pile and do the goal line Walter Payton end zone dive over them. Man, Payton was awesome. I always wished he was a Viking.

Missed a few seasons while in the Marines. Tried to stay current through the newspapers, always hungry for more information than the box score. Good times bantering about everyone's favorite team with fellow Marines, from coast to coast.

Lived in Florida, Maine, and Ohio before moving back to Minnesota. Got my Vikings fix in those Sates by hitting the local sports bars to catch the game.

Hey Brian, you're me, only 13 years older.
Post #: 66
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 6:28:58 PM  1 votes
Ed_Marotske

Good Stuff in Here

I turned 28 for the 21st consecutive year in December. (48)

My story is a little different. I was born behind enemy lines in Milwaukee Wisconsin. At the age of 5 my parents split up and my biological father who was an alcoholic took off with my younger brother and I and we lived out of a car for a period of time. There were times though that we stayed in hotels or at other people's houses Some of those times football was on. He'd always make us stand up and put our hands on our hearts during the National Anthem. What really stands out from that time to me was the old Monday Night Football theme, Howard, Frank and Dandy Don.

Anyway, my biological father ended up being taken to jail and I and my brother were put into a foster home in Pelican Rapids and then a different foster home in Detroit Lakes with a different family. We moved with this Baptist Pastor and his family to Fosston Minnesota when I was 77(?). It was here that I found the Vikings. Every Sunday we'd get home from Church and the entire family would huddle around the black and white television in the basement and watch the Vikings. For the next 4 years my blood turned purple.

The summer after my 4th grade year the courts sent us back to Wisconsin to be with our mother and step father. I couldn't be turned though. I watched plenty of Packer games over the years and a lot of those with my grandfather. I remember the first time I watched a Vikings vs Packer game with him...it was the last Vikings vs Packer game I ever watched with him. I wasn't allowed to come over when they played each other. LOL

The first time I ever attended a Vikings game was at the age of 12. I had won the fundraiser for the boys club I was in and the as the winner I won a ticket to the game with kids from the other boys club's (each elementary school had one) winners. The game was at Milwaukee County Stadium and in the end the Vikings lost. As a 12 year old who wore his emotions on his sleeve, in the 4th quarter, with the outcome no longer in doubt, I stood up and yelled at the top of my voice, THE PACKERS SUCK! I felt better, but the glares I received from Packer fans were priceless. LOL How could that kid yell that HERE?

At the age of 18 I joined the Marine Corps and watched the Vikings from many different climbs and places thanks to AFN. In 1998 I was stationed in 29 Palms California and watched the Gary Anderson miss sitting on the arm of my love seat. A little bit of me died that day. This year with the Walsh miss, all I could say was "oh no" and then listen and watch my own kids sink into the abyss that is Vikings football....

It takes a certain type of person to be a die hard Vikings fanatic. We are a rare breed of football fan. There isn't a game we can't win or a Super Bowl we can't reach when we start a season. We take losses worse than any other fan and usually win with a certain level of dignity. If we ever do win a Super Bowl the rest of the NFL can stand the F%$# by because the celbration that will take place will be unprecedented.

My heart and soul are Purple.....and forever will be. I'd like to see us win a Super Bowl before I leave this purple world, but, if not, I'd rather bleed purple and lose than to ever put on the green and gold of Fudge Packer Nation.
Post #: 67
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 6:39:28 PM   
Thomas O. Eliason

quote:

can stand the F%$# by

LOL - now that's a Marine Corps saying !

PPE II baby
Post #: 68
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 8:02:33 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I joined the Marine Corps and watched the Vikings from many different climbs and places thanks to AFN

This makes me LMAO.

I was in Korea in 97 and the Vikes were coming on "live", which meant like 3 AM. I invited all my buddies to watch the game, it was the Vikes after all and we were FINALLY on TV. It was a massive deal. I had food, beer, cokes ect....I was READY.

I had one guy come down and he was barely awake. I was like "WTF, it's the Vikes". He was "WTF, it's 3 AM". Guy had no perspective.
Post #: 69
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 9:20:49 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I joined the Marine Corps and watched the Vikings from many different climbs and places thanks to AFN

This makes me LMAO.

I was in Korea in 97 and the Vikes were coming on "live", which meant like 3 AM. I invited all my buddies to watch the game, it was the Vikes after all and we were FINALLY on TV. It was a massive deal. I had food, beer, cokes ect....I was READY.

I had one guy come down and he was barely awake. I was like "WTF, it's the Vikes". He was "WTF, it's 3 AM". Guy had no perspective.

i watched the vikings/randy moss monday night game against the packers in '98 from seoul - yes, about 3am...i've watched the vikes from bangkok...vikes' playoff games from bars in europe....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 70
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/13/2016 10:59:27 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ed_Marotske

Good Stuff in Here

I turned 28 for the 21st consecutive year in December. (48)

My story is a little different. I was born behind enemy lines in Milwaukee Wisconsin. At the age of 5 my parents split up and my biological father who was an alcoholic took off with my younger brother and I and we lived out of a car for a period of time. There were times though that we stayed in hotels or at other people's houses Some of those times football was on. He'd always make us stand up and put our hands on our hearts during the National Anthem. What really stands out from that time to me was the old Monday Night Football theme, Howard, Frank and Dandy Don.

Anyway, my biological father ended up being taken to jail and I and my brother were put into a foster home in Pelican Rapids and then a different foster home in Detroit Lakes with a different family. We moved with this Baptist Pastor and his family to Fosston Minnesota when I was 77(?). It was here that I found the Vikings. Every Sunday we'd get home from Church and the entire family would huddle around the black and white television in the basement and watch the Vikings. For the next 4 years my blood turned purple.

The summer after my 4th grade year the courts sent us back to Wisconsin to be with our mother and step father. I couldn't be turned though. I watched plenty of Packer games over the years and a lot of those with my grandfather. I remember the first time I watched a Vikings vs Packer game with him...it was the last Vikings vs Packer game I ever watched with him. I wasn't allowed to come over when they played each other. LOL

The first time I ever attended a Vikings game was at the age of 12. I had won the fundraiser for the boys club I was in and the as the winner I won a ticket to the game with kids from the other boys club's (each elementary school had one) winners. The game was at Milwaukee County Stadium and in the end the Vikings lost. As a 12 year old who wore his emotions on his sleeve, in the 4th quarter, with the outcome no longer in doubt, I stood up and yelled at the top of my voice, THE PACKERS SUCK! I felt better, but the glares I received from Packer fans were priceless. LOL How could that kid yell that HERE?

At the age of 18 I joined the Marine Corps and watched the Vikings from many different climbs and places thanks to AFN. In 1998 I was stationed in 29 Palms California and watched the Gary Anderson miss sitting on the arm of my love seat. A little bit of me died that day. This year with the Walsh miss, all I could say was "oh no" and then listen and watch my own kids sink into the abyss that is Vikings football....

It takes a certain type of person to be a die hard Vikings fanatic. We are a rare breed of football fan. There isn't a game we can't win or a Super Bowl we can't reach when we start a season. We take losses worse than any other fan and usually win with a certain level of dignity. If we ever do win a Super Bowl the rest of the NFL can stand the F%$# by because the celbration that will take place will be unprecedented.

My heart and soul are Purple.....and forever will be. I'd like to see us win a Super Bowl before I leave this purple world, but, if not, I'd rather bleed purple and lose than to ever put on the green and gold of Fudge Packer Nation.

Now that's a signature line!!!
Post #: 71
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/14/2016 3:54:04 AM   
Brian Nagel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brian Nagel

Hey Brian, you're me, only 13 years older.

Bread bags in the boots too, eh?

Getting tackled on a frozen gravel driveway that served as the end zone....that'll make you keep your legs moving, I tell ya.
Post #: 72
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/14/2016 3:56:43 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

We used to dream of having bread bags. And boots !

PPE II baby
Post #: 73
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/14/2016 9:11:09 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

How in the hell did I get that old? Born in Minneapolis and there my first 12 years. Got to go to a game their 1st year. I've been through every loss in the franchises history.

Was on a cruise and instead of visiting St Thomas with about 12 couples I stayed on the boat and saw them lose to Atlanta in 98. I sat through every Super Bowl loss.

I remember watching Tommy Mason and when we drafted Clinton Jones, Gene Washington and Alan Page. Been Purple my whole life and wear my colors proud.

I can't tell you how many times inlaw get togethers just happened to fall right on a big Viking game day.

The last HUGE blowup when I decided to stay home around the holidays as opposed to going to a family function was the playoff game we whooped the Pack's arse in Lambeau "Disgusting act, and all" Wife was really pissed I missed that one, I wasn't.

Never actually living in the Twin cities I'm sure there is some doozy stories of what many of us had to do to get our Vikings on in bars around the country pre- Directv...
Post #: 74
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/14/2016 9:49:16 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

This makes me LMAO.

i watched the vikings/randy moss monday night game against the packers in '98 from seoul - yes, about 3am...i've watched the vikes from bangkok...vikes' playoff games from bars in europe....

That's badass! I was stationed in Seoul right out of HS. I had just turned 18 and grew up on a small farm. That was a bit of an eye opener
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Just Out Of Curiosity Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode