Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

2016 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> 2016 NBA Draft Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2016 NBA Draft - 4/5/2016 3:32:02 PM   
TJSweens

We need an entire new bench. Who looks like they could provide needed depth to this team?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/5/2016 3:56:59 PM   
David Levine

This looks like a perfect draft to find bench players. Very little (if any star power in this one).

I'd be looking to trade down with Denver or Boston to grab a couple guys and maximize our chances because I'm not sure I've ever felt less comfortable picking who will or won't succeed in a draft.

My current targets (in no particular order):

Brice Johnson: Defense, energy and rebounds. Should hopefully be able to guard big 3s and small 4s, while still letting us maintain a rebounding edge. Not much offense, but he can hit his FTs. The ideal version of him is a perfect fit between Drew and Towns. BUT...I'm not sure he has the mass to bang, and games like last night are red flags, as he was unable to get anything going against guys 5" shorter than him.

Tim Luwawu: Crazy athlete, great NBA body with super long arms, offense coming around. He's young and raw, but he could end up being a guy who can defend 1-4. Potentially a swingman version of Giannis. Maybe even a bit of Kawhi. Needs to work on his handle, and his outside shooting needs to be more consistent. May be too much of a project for a team with Drew and Zach already on it. Absolutely love his upside.

Taurean Prince: Glue guy that may be this year's Jae Crowder. I worry about his rebounding, but he should be able to defend those big 3s and small 4s that absolutely kill us.

Denzel Valentine: Love him, but he scares the crap out of me too. Almost as good of a shooter as Hield, but much better rebounder and playmaker. Legit PG instincts/ability which is fantastic as a secondary ballhandler. But a well below average athlete, and not a very willing or able defender. Might be a guy who can lead a second unit. I think he's a tier below the first 3 guys for me.

Thoughts on other guys:

I like Ivan Rabb as a project PF.

Tyler Ulis is a stud. Currently the best player on Kentucky (although not the one with the most upside), but its going to be TOUGH for him to make it at his size. He does have elite speed, but at 5'8, you better be a monster to be more than a roleplayer.

Sabonis is interesting. He can rebound the hell out of the ball, has some scoring, and he dominated, likely lottery pick, Poelti head-to-head. But I'm not sure he has the length or quickness to defend the PF position at the next level. Maybe he's a poor-man's Zach Randolph?

Buddy Hield I like in a trade down, but IMO, he's bad value in the Top 8. He's much more Anthony Morrow than Steph Curry. Great shooter with icewater in his veins, but not a guy to create offense for himself or others, and doesn't really do anything other than shoot at an NBA level. Not a guy I really want, but wouldn't be too upset getting him.

The guy that scares the shit out of me is Henry Ellenson. A "stretch" 4 that is projected to be taken around our pick. The idealized version of him is very much a need. A 3pt shooting, rebounding PF. But he's only a 29% 3pt shooter, he's a good, but not great, rebounder, and while he has good length, he doesn't appear to be enough of an athlete to provide much defense at PF. IMO, he's a poor man's Ryan Anderson.
Post #: 2
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/6/2016 1:13:25 PM   
kgdabom

NBAdraft.net and NBA Draft Express have very different mocks up but both have Simmons and Ingram going 1-2 only flip flopped. In Draft.Net both Hield and Dunn are gone before we pick so I prefer the Draft Express Scenario. After the 35 point explosion can we count on Bazz sticking around and holding off competition from this draft. Can we count on Tyus Jones or would he be quickly replaced by Dunn if available. If we look big who is our favorite prospect? Sabonis? Johnson?
Post #: 3
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/12/2016 4:21:35 PM   
David Levine

Wolves Lottery Odds:

1st: 8.8%
2nd: 9.7%
3rd: 10.7%
4th: 0%
5th: 26.1%
6th: 36.0%
7th: 8.4%
8th: 0.4%
Post #: 4
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/12/2016 4:23:39 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Wolves Lottery Odds:

So if you had the #1 pick, who would you take? Sorry if that's been posed to you David. What would your draft order of "need" be for MN??

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/12/2016 5:03:31 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Wolves Lottery Odds:

So if you had the #1 pick, who would you take? Sorry if that's been posed to you David. What would your draft order of "need" be for MN??

I'd still take Simmons. He has some red flags, and his shooting is abysmal - but his rebounding, defensive potential and playmaking would be a really good fit between KAT and Drew. And with KAT's shooting ability, it could lessen the need for Simmons to do more than score around the hoop and be a "garbage man" on offense.

Ingram would likely have to play SF for a few years and you'd have to hope he'd grow into being a PF, so I'm not sure about developing Ingram, Wiggins and Drew at the wing all at the same time.

I might even be persuaded to take Bender over Ingram. He didn't do much this year, but its tough for an 18 year old kid to be playing with mature, older players. I'm guessing he'd have had a pretty good year if he was in the NCAA instead.

So Simmons I could see as an early starter for us. Ingram and Bender would hopefully grow into being starters. I'm not sure anyone else in the lottery would be more than a bench player for us. Its a pretty shitty draft.
Post #: 6
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/12/2016 6:38:06 PM   
Matt Lang

I would love to trade this pick for a solid starting caliber player in their mid 20s
Post #: 7
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/12/2016 6:47:43 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

I would love to trade this pick for a solid starting caliber player in their mid 20s

I bet we could do that too. I bet we could have had Tobias Harris for this pick.
Post #: 8
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/12/2016 7:10:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I'd have no problem with that.

The worry though, unless we're in the Top 3, I'm not sure how much value we're going to get for it. "Young solid starter" is likely worth more than a mid-lottery pick in this draft. Maybe if there is a team that still likes Bazz, we could add him to the pick for a player.
Post #: 9
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/12/2016 7:21:44 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Robert Sacre is available via trade.
Post #: 10
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/12/2016 9:45:11 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

"Young solid starter" is likely worth more than a mid-lottery pick in this draft.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of some of those GMs!

< Message edited by Matt Lang -- 4/13/2016 12:08:35 AM >
Post #: 11
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 8:47:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I bet we could do that too. I bet we could have had Tobias Harris for this pick.

Bad contract on that one...you want a mid 20s player with a decent contract or keep the pick.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 12
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 10:48:01 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Bad contract on that one...you want a mid 20s player with a decent contract or keep the pick.

I don't care what the contract is if the player is worth it. Harris actually has a reasonable contract (that goes down each year). The problem with him is he's not that good and a poor fit on our team.
Post #: 13
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 10:58:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't care what the contract is if the player is worth it. Harris actually has a reasonable contract (that goes down each year). The problem with him is he's not that good and a poor fit on our team.

I think we are saying the same thing DL....14 million in his last year or 16 million this year is way too much for Harris....even if he was playing like he was 2 years ago.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/13/2016 11:00:41 AM >

Post #: 14
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 10:59:25 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Virtually every analysis I have seen on Harris is that he had a quite team friendly contract. I like Harris. Just a solid all around player. Scores, rebounds, shoots threes at a respectable clip. Can play SF/PF.
Harris is the definition of a solid (notice not star) player in his mid 20s.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/13/2016 11:02:33 AM >
Post #: 15
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 11:02:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Virtually every analysis I have seen on Harris is that he had a quite team friendly contract. I like Harris. Just a solid all around player. Scores, rebounds, shoots threes at a respectable clip. Can play SF/PF.

He makes 2.5 what Wiggins makes (6 million)---I don't see the value. I would rather have the draft pick/cheaper talent. Sign him as a UFA in 2 years.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/13/2016 11:04:04 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 11:04:26 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think we are saying the same thing DL....14 million in his last year or 16 million this year is way too much for Harris....even if he was playing like he was 2 years ago.

I'm saying he's on a decent contract for who he is. Especially with the cap jumps coming. I'd happily trade our pick for a guy on a 15M/year contract if he fits the team.

I just don't like him - especially for our team. Rebounds horribly at PF, and isn't a good enough defender. He's a better shooting, worse defending version of Thad Young.
Post #: 17
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 11:04:39 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He makes 2.5 what Wiggins makes (6 million)---I don't see the value. I would rather have the draft pick/cheaper talent. Sign him as a UFA in 2 years.

Of course he makes more than Wiggins. He is on a second contract after playing quite well on his first. if you want cheaper talent than you don't like the originally proposed idea of trading the pick for a solid starter in his mid 20s.
Post #: 18
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 11:06:06 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course he makes 2.5x what Drew does. Rookies are the most underpaid players in the game.

In 2 years, Harris likely gets 20M+/year on his next deal.
Post #: 19
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 11:07:48 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm saying he's on a decent contract for who he is. Especially with the cap jumps coming. I'd happily trade our pick for a guy on a 15M/year contract if he fits the team.

I just don't like him - especially for our team. Rebounds horribly at PF, and isn't a good enough defender. He's a better shooting, worse defending version of Thad Young.

Once again that is par for the course for a solid starter in his mid 20s. If Harris isn't good enough for you to trade the pick than you don't like the original proposal.
Post #: 20
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 11:08:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

No crap guys...why is there so much love for Harris? Judas. Pay 20 Million for someone that can actually dominate the game or trade the pick for someone that isn't a 2 inch taller version of Bazz. We already have enough stretch 4s...

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/13/2016 11:12:04 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 11:13:03 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

No crap guys...why is there so much love for Harris? Judas. Pay 20 Million for someone that can actually dominate the game or trade the pick for someone that isn't a 2 inch taller version of Bazz.

I like him. I wouldn't say love him. He is a player that I would want on our team. After being traded to Detroit he did a very nice job for them supplanting Ersan Ilyasova and Stanley Johnson.
I'm not a genius about who plays good defense and who doesn't. I have not heard of him being a defensive liability before. He will most likely be a better player at least for the next few years than whoever we can get with our pick in this years draft.
Of course he will cost a lot more of our cap than whoever we could get in this years draft.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/13/2016 11:15:15 AM >
Post #: 22
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 11:31:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

No crap guys...why is there so much love for Harris? Judas. Pay 20 Million for someone that can actually dominate the game or trade the pick for someone that isn't a 2 inch taller version of Bazz. We already have enough stretch 4s...

Guys?

I've been saying I don't like Harris - but he's worth his contract in today's NBA. The numbers that are going to get thrown around this summer are going to make your head spin.

Actually the 4 is the position where we really need to find an upgrade.
Post #: 23
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 12:02:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Guys?

I've been saying I don't like Harris - but he's worth his contract in today's NBA. The numbers that are going to get thrown around this summer are going to make your head spin.

Yepper. I know why Wiggins is cheaper than Harris and he is good value for some teams. Not our team. I would rather get another athletic big or killer defense SF/SG....Harris reminds me of Bazz, albeit a little bigger. We don't need 2 of that type.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/13/2016 12:04:07 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 4/13/2016 12:51:49 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Guys?

Yepper. I know why Wiggins is cheaper than Harris and he is good value for some teams. Not our team. I would rather get another athletic big or killer defense SF/SG....Harris reminds me of Bazz, albeit a little bigger. We don't need 2 of that type.
Better than Bazz in virtually every way. As I'm saying if Harris isn't good enough for you to trade our pick than forget about trading our pick. We will not be getting someone better than Harris for it.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> 2016 NBA Draft Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode