Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2016 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 8:24:31 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I think Rubio becomes more tradable after this new money kicks in. Free agent salaries will go through the roof. Meanwhile Rubio's salary will look pretty reasonable in comparison.

Truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like to be challenged.
Post #: 1126
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 8:58:54 AM   
Phil Riewer

I agree...I think the trade market stunk for Rubio during the draft and we were low balled in Layden/Thibs 1st offers.....After FA starts teams will be willing to up the ante due to the dearth of FA PG. No sense selling low if that is what needs to be done.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/28/2016 9:01:14 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1127
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 9:02:43 AM   
TJSweens

I heard SP Sports Guy again yesterday and he basically thought the plan would be to go into the season with Rubio as the starting PG. They have playoff ambitions and that is a pretty heavy burden to put on a rookie PG. Plus as much as they like him, they really don't know what level he will perform in the NBA.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1128
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 9:59:55 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I heard SP Sports Guy again yesterday and he basically thought the plan would be to go into the season with Rubio as the starting PG. They have playoff ambitions and that is a pretty heavy burden to put on a rookie PG. Plus as much as they like him, they really don't know what level he will perform in the NBA.

I think if Thibs could add Butler, he would have been willing to move Rubio to get the deal done. He also offered him to other clubs to put pressure on the Bulls. How much is this a real willingness to move Rubio and how much was it a head game to get back at the Bulls? Now that This has Dunn, he needs Rubio to mentor him and he gets him at a reasonable price.
Post #: 1129
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 10:20:19 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I think Rubio becomes more tradable after this new money kicks in. Free agent salaries will go through the roof. Meanwhile Rubio's salary will look pretty reasonable in comparison.

And it also makes him more attractive to the Wolves to stay.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1130
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 10:22:07 AM   
David Levine

quote:

I think everyone is under the assumption that Thibs would be bringing in someone else to start with Dunn hopefully taking the role sooner rather than later.
Post #: 1131
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 10:31:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

It would be nice to have the Butler and Rubio combo but not at the expense of any of the combo of Dunn/Wiggins/Lavine....

Post #: 1132
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 10:52:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I think everyone is under the assumption that Thibs would be bringing in someone else to start with Dunn hopefully taking the role sooner rather than later.

I don't who are they going to bring in who can run the show for a playoff caliber team? They really have know idea how quickly Dunn can adjust to the NBA game. I believe Leyden and Thibs are both smart enough to know that if they aren't being offered value for Rubio there is no need to rush to move him.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1133
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:03:22 AM   
David Levine

Rubio trade talk on the FA Vertical podcast with Woj and Mannix:

More or less Woj says that they’ve been shopping him before they got Dunn, he might be on the roster on opening night, but probably on trade deadline or next summer he’s gone. He says that Rubio wanted to stay because he loves the place and the support he receives but it seems like that won’t happen.
Post #: 1134
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:04:02 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't who are they going to bring in who can run the show for a playoff caliber team? They really have know idea how quickly Dunn can adjust to the NBA game. I believe Leyden and Thibs are both smart enough to know that if they aren't being offered value for Rubio there is no need to rush to move him.

My fear is Rondo.
Post #: 1135
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:27:06 AM   
TJSweens

Post #: 1136
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:46:14 AM   
El Duderino

quote:

More or less Woj says that they’ve been shopping him before they got Dunn, he might be on the roster on opening night, but probably on trade deadline or next summer he’s gone. He says that Rubio wanted to stay because he loves the place and the support he receives but it seems like that won’t happen.

This still makes no sense to me. I can't help but think that once Thibideau actually starts working with Rubio and sees first hand how high his BBIQ, defensive ability, and work ethic all are, that he won't want to let him go.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 1137
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:47:08 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

quote:

This still makes no sense to me. I can't help but think that once Thibideau actually starts working with Rubio and sees first hand how high his BBIQ, defensive ability, and work ethic all are, that he won't want to let him go.

That's my hope.

But the next week or so is going to be pretty tense.
Post #: 1138
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:50:44 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

Post #: 1139
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:51:32 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My fear is Rondo.

From what I heard Rondo was toxic in Dallas. Is he a FA or is Dallas trying to unload him?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1140
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:53:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I was thinking more like Chalmers, Conley, Augustin, Foye, and even Lin over Rondo...

Post #: 1141
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 11:55:54 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's my hope.

But the next week or so is going to be pretty tense.

The thing that puzzles me is that Rubio seems like he would be a Thibs PG. Elite defender at the position, phenominal court vision and high BBIQ. If he is hell bent on moving him, he damn well better get a good return.

Post #: 1142
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 12:14:00 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My fear is Rondo.

From what I heard Rondo was toxic in Dallas. Is he a FA or is Dallas trying to unload him?

He signed a 1-year deal with the Kings last offseason.
Post #: 1143
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 12:19:32 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I was thinking more like Chalmers, Conley, Augustin, Foye, and even Lin over Rondo...

Chalmers: May not even be ready to play at the start of the year. Ruptured his Achilles 3 months ago.

Conley: We're not giving a 4-year Max contract to a guy we hope will start for a year or less.

Augustin and Foye are fine back-ups, but if we're thinking playoffs, you need better.

Lin: He might make more than Rubio this year. And I don't think he's what Thibs is looking for.
Post #: 1144
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 12:58:45 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

I heard AP sports guy on KFAN say basically the same thing. Flip wasn't a huge Rubio guy in the beginning either. Remember getting Rubio was Kahn's big project, not Flip's. Flip inherited Rubio.

But Rubio grew on Saunders after being exposed to the defense and work ethic, and basketball IQ on a daily basis. Maybe Rubio will grow on Thibs too.

Truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like to be challenged.
Post #: 1145
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 1:48:00 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

I heard AP sports guy on KFAN say basically the same thing. Flip wasn't a huge Rubio guy in the beginning either. Remember getting Rubio was Kahn's big project, not Flip's. Flip inherited Rubio.

But Rubio grew on Saunders after being exposed to the defense and work ethic, and basketball IQ on a daily basis. Maybe Rubio will grow on Thibs too.

I hope he realizes, even if he's married to Dunn, that he's not going to find a better PG (on a better contract) to start while he hopes Dunn grows into the position.
Post #: 1146
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:02:12 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chalmers: May not even be ready to play at the start of the year. Ruptured his Achilles 3 months ago.

Conley: We're not giving a 4-year Max contract to a guy we hope will start for a year or less.

Augustin and Foye are fine back-ups, but if we're thinking playoffs, you need better.

Lin: He might make more than Rubio this year. And I don't think he's what Thibs is looking for.

I don't think any of them are better than Rubio---I am talking about better than Rondo. All of them have warts....Conley/Chalmers--Bad Health and Augustin and Foye are basically career backups but I would rather have them than Rondo.

Doesn't the serious money kick in next year....so if something weird happened with Rubio....any of them might just want a 1 year contract?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/28/2016 2:04:18 PM >

Post #: 1147
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:18:24 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think any of them are better than Rubio---I am talking about better than Rondo. All of them have warts....Conley/Chalmers--Bad Health and Augustin and Foye are basically career backups but I would rather have them than Rondo.

Doesn't the serious money kick in next year....so if something weird happened with Rubio....any of them might just want a 1 year contract?

I'd guess Thibs would rather have Rondo. He absolutely adored him in Boston and he's basically an older version of Dunn.

And no, the serious money kicks in in 4 days.
Post #: 1148
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:22:54 PM   
Black 47

Rondo is a special player, but he needs a special coach. He'll play for Thibs.
Post #: 1149
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:23:22 PM   
Black 47

I know this stuff.
Post #: 1150
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode