Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2016 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:27:23 PM   
Phil Riewer

Rumors flying that Rondo may want to go to the Nets as a FA to stick it to Boston....who can swap picks with New Jersey in 2017.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1151
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:30:16 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black 47

Rondo is a special player, but he needs a special coach. He'll play for Thibs.

What he needs is his old knees back. He's a shadow of the player he once was - especially on defense.
Post #: 1152
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:32:28 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Rumors flying that Rondo may want to go to the Nets as a FA to stick it to Boston....who can swap picks with New Jersey in 2017.

Like how he led the Kings to the lottery last year?
Post #: 1153
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:54:30 PM   
Black 47

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

What he needs is his old knees back. He's a shadow of the player he once was - especially on defense.

Doesn't seem like he's been around that long, but I guess he has some mileage.
Post #: 1154
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 2:56:27 PM   
Bill Jandro

For the Kings Rondo avg

11.9 pts
11.7 ast
6 reb
2 stl
3.9 TO

I highly doubt he is anywhere near as good as Rubio on defense. Esp at only 6'1"

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1155
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 3:09:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Doesn't seem like he's been around that long, but I guess he has some mileage.

Lots of injuries have sapped him of his quickness/explosiveness.
Post #: 1156
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 3:44:56 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Like how he led the Kings to the lottery last year?

I doubt he could lead a blood hound to a t-bone at this point.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1157
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 3:46:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

For the Kings Rondo avg

11.9 pts
11.7 ast
6 reb
2 stl
3.9 TO

I highly doubt he is anywhere near as good as Rubio on defense. Esp at only 6'1"

That's a very good rate of assists. Is that number correct? Rubio averaged 8.6.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 6/28/2016 3:47:30 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1158
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 3:56:14 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

For the Kings Rondo avg

11.9 pts
11.7 ast
6 reb
2 stl
3.9 TO

Numbers lie.

Kings played at the fastest pace in the league last year and Wolves were 20th. Rondo also played 5 more mpg. Even with the pace issue favoring Rondo by so much, they were less than 2 assists apart per36.

Rondo also has a reputation as a "stat-padder" in regards to assists. He'll frequently pass up open layups to get the ball to a guy with a much worse chance of converting. He also gets left in at the end of blowouts a lot more than most star players. Its not uncommon for him to pick up 4 or 5 assists in the last few minutes of garbage time.
Post #: 1159
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 4:01:50 PM   
Matt Lang

He'd also probably wreck our good locker room chemistry
Post #: 1160
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 4:06:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

Probably. Rick Carlisle is one of the 3 best coaches in the league and he couldn't wait to get rid of him.

*Maybe* he respects Thibs enough to stay in line. And *Maybe* if KG is here he'd listen to him (although I'm starting to think its likely KG isn't at all involved with the Wolves this season at any level).
Post #: 1161
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 4:15:52 PM   
Elliot

Maybe Thibs figures he can grab a guy like Aaron Brooks off the scrap heap to start until Dunn is ready. Who knows. For me, it just doesn't make sense for the Wolves to close the book on Ricky, especially before the current regime has worked with him for 20 games.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 1162
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 4:16:19 PM   
Black 47

quote:

quote:

Probably. Rick Carlisle is one of the 3 best coaches in the league and he couldn't wait to get rid of him.

*Maybe* he respects Thibs enough to stay in line. And *Maybe* if KG is here he'd listen to him (although I'm starting to think its likely KG isn't at all involved with the Wolves this season at any level).

I agree, seems like a huge risk. I'll trust Thib's judgment, but upon further review it doesn't seem like a good fit. I'll support anything Thibs does as long as he keeps the big 3 together. If he trades Lavine I'll lose my mind. I hold him in higher regard than Wiggins.
Post #: 1163
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 7:16:21 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

I'm not seeing a role for Garnett under Thibs. Starting and playing 12 minutes, for about 25 games until various nagging injuries bench him for the rest of the year? Nah. It was fine last year when we were trying to set a tone and show these guys about being pros. But that time is gone.

KG has had a good run. Time to hang it up. What's his contract status though?

Truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like to be challenged.
Post #: 1164
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/28/2016 7:32:45 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

I'm not seeing a role for Garnett under Thibs. Starting and playing 12 minutes, for about 25 games until various nagging injuries bench him for the rest of the year? Nah. It was fine last year when we were trying to set a tone and show these guys about being pros. But that time is gone.

8M guaranteed for this year. But if he retires, then its 0.

He also might take significant less on a buy out to go to a different team.
Post #: 1165
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 5:39:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree, seems like a huge risk. I'll trust Thib's judgment, but upon further review it doesn't seem like a good fit. I'll support anything Thibs does as long as he keeps the big 3 together. If he trades Lavine I'll lose my mind. I hold him in higher regard than Wiggins.

That could change with Thibs...I like both Lavine/Wiggins working with Thibs.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1166
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 8:25:36 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

8M guaranteed for this year. But if he retires, then its 0.

He also might take significant less on a buy out to go to a different team.

He might want to stick around under Thibs. How did they get along in Boston? It would be a a fitting finish for him. End up with the team he started with, but with part of the regime that he won a championship with, in a year where if everything goes right, we could have a legitimate shot of getting back to the playoffs.

I just don't think his body is up to it any more though.

Post #: 1167
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 9:24:49 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

For the Kings Rondo avg

11.9 pts
11.7 ast
6 reb
2 stl
3.9 TO

Numbers lie.

Kings played at the fastest pace in the league last year and Wolves were 20th. Rondo also played 5 more mpg. Even with the pace issue favoring Rondo by so much, they were less than 2 assists apart per36.

Rondo also has a reputation as a "stat-padder" in regards to assists. He'll frequently pass up open layups to get the ball to a guy with a much worse chance of converting. He also gets left in at the end of blowouts a lot more than most star players. Its not uncommon for him to pick up 4 or 5 assists in the last few minutes of garbage time.

Thanks, David. I really appreciate your insight. It seems to me that Rubio's strength is how he can see the floor and his eager distribution to others to those who are in position to score. It looks like to me that Rubios scoring stats last year are very comparable to Rondos and I think that that would surprise a lot of people.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1168
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 9:27:19 AM   
Bruce Johnson

If the Wolves are serious about being in the playoffs, I think it's time for KG to call it a career. That's what I think He represents the past, not the future and I think that "mentoring" of an older player is way overrated. That's the job of the coaches.

Post #: 1169
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 9:38:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

He might want to stick around under Thibs. How did they get along in Boston? It would be a a fitting finish for him. End up with the team he started with, but with part of the regime that he won a championship with, in a year where if everything goes right, we could have a legitimate shot of getting back to the playoffs.

He and Thibs apparently had a falling out some time after he left Boston. The two haven't spoken since we hired Thibs.
Post #: 1170
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 10:16:32 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

He and Thibs apparently had a falling out some time after he left Boston. The two haven't spoken since we hired Thibs.

That's a shame. KG is the face of this franchise. I would live him being a coach.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1171
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 10:30:21 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

If the Wolves are serious about being in the playoffs, I think it's time for KG to call it a career. That's what I think He represents the past, not the future and I think that "mentoring" of an older player is way overrated. That's the job of the coaches.

I think players react differently when the same thing is said by a coach and when it is said by a peer. KG has a significant value IMHO. The Wolves brass seem to be moving very slowly on everything. I am more concerned by the lack of speed by which they are filling the front office, scouting and coaching staff, then if Thibs is speaking to KG. Both guys should be mature enough to handle the communication issues and their differences. If Thibs disagrees with my assessment, then pick up the phone and call KG and thank for his years of play, but state that the Wolves need to go in another direction. I am more concerned about the inability of these men to assemble a staff to assist them in a quick and efficient manner, end the family feud with the bulls brass, evaluate peoples on their abilities and not on you hurt feelings, be decisive, be bold and lay out a vision and a foundation. Flip laid a foundation and had a vision of this team and it was more than just his personal feelings. I believe this team needs a front office and coaching staff that is willing to build on that rather then develop their own personal Fiefdom and rather than becoming the Bulls II..
Post #: 1172
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 11:12:07 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

That's a shame. KG is the face of this franchise. I would live him being a coach.

I don't think he has any interest in being a coach if I recall correctly.

I thought the rumor was they were going to work out some sort of minority ownership deal with him and the Wolves once he was done.

Post #: 1173
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 11:18:09 AM   
El Duderino

His exact quote, as I recall, was:

"HELL NAW."

The Dude Abides
Post #: 1174
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 11:20:53 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I don't think he has any interest in being a coach if I recall correctly.

I thought the rumor was they were going to work out some sort of minority ownership deal with him and the Wolves once he was done.

I think he'd be a terrible coach - and I think he knows it too. Much too volatile.

My guess is the ownership thing is much less likely to happen without Flip.
Post #: 1175
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode