Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2016 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 11:25:00 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

If the Wolves are serious about being in the playoffs, I think it's time for KG to call it a career. That's what I think He represents the past, not the future and I think that "mentoring" of an older player is way overrated. That's the job of the coaches.

I think players react differently when the same thing is said by a coach and when it is said by a peer. KG has a significant value IMHO. The Wolves brass seem to be moving very slowly on everything. I am more concerned by the lack of speed by which they are filling the front office, scouting and coaching staff, then if Thibs is speaking to KG. Both guys should be mature enough to handle the communication issues and their differences. If Thibs disagrees with my assessment, then pick up the phone and call KG and thank for his years of play, but state that the Wolves need to go in another direction. I am more concerned about the inability of these men to assemble a staff to assist them in a quick and efficient manner, end the family feud with the bulls brass, evaluate peoples on their abilities and not on you hurt feelings, be decisive, be bold and lay out a vision and a foundation. Flip laid a foundation and had a vision of this team and it was more than just his personal feelings. I believe this team needs a front office and coaching staff that is willing to build on that rather then develop their own personal Fiefdom and rather than becoming the Bulls II..

I don't know--they have been pretty busy...they were prepping for the draft as soon as they were hired. Thibs also is on the USA Basketball team as an assistant.
He did get a bench coach from Toronto and has Ryan Saunders under contract yet.....not sure why the angst as long as Thibs is there and a full staff is assembled by Training Camp.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1176
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 6:17:39 PM   
shakeywalton

David Adelman has been let go.
Post #: 1177
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 6:25:25 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

Yes, a while ago. He's been interviewing with Orlando the past couple weeks. Officially hired this morning.

He was the coach's son we should've kept...

< Message edited by David Levine -- 6/29/2016 6:26:25 PM >
Post #: 1178
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 6:29:24 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

If the Wolves are serious about being in the playoffs, I think it's time for KG to call it a career. That's what I think He represents the past, not the future and I think that "mentoring" of an older player is way overrated. That's the job of the coaches.

I think players react differently when the same thing is said by a coach and when it is said by a peer. KG has a significant value IMHO. The Wolves brass seem to be moving very slowly on everything. I am more concerned by the lack of speed by which they are filling the front office, scouting and coaching staff, then if Thibs is speaking to KG. Both guys should be mature enough to handle the communication issues and their differences. If Thibs disagrees with my assessment, then pick up the phone and call KG and thank for his years of play, but state that the Wolves need to go in another direction. I am more concerned about the inability of these men to assemble a staff to assist them in a quick and efficient manner, end the family feud with the bulls brass, evaluate peoples on their abilities and not on you hurt feelings, be decisive, be bold and lay out a vision and a foundation. Flip laid a foundation and had a vision of this team and it was more than just his personal feelings. I believe this team needs a front office and coaching staff that is willing to build on that rather then develop their own personal Fiefdom and rather than becoming the Bulls II..

I don't know--they have been pretty busy...they were prepping for the draft as soon as they were hired. Thibs also is on the USA Basketball team as an assistant.
He did get a bench coach from Toronto and has Ryan Saunders under contract yet.....not sure why the angst as long as Thibs is there and a full staff is assembled by Training Camp.

Thibs has to figure out where his priorities are. He is the POBO and that job must come first before the USA basketball team. He let got the entire front office and scouting staff, knowing that this draft and this free agent period would be the biggest in the Wolves recent history. He needs to evaluate a lot of people very quickly and this is an extremely difficult task for only two people. You also have summer league and its going to be difficult for two guys to run that show. I would hope that we replace the staff, before we do permanent damage to our future. I would have thought that he had a group of guys already lined up to call upon. It appears like he does not and it gives the impression that we have two guys willing to go it alone and to shoot from the hip. This appears to be a potentially dangerous combination.
Post #: 1179
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 6:30:38 PM   
Black 47

That's a bummer. He was a bit dopey, but I liked him. (Adleman)

< Message edited by Black 47 -- 6/29/2016 6:33:16 PM >
Post #: 1180
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 6:44:08 PM   
David Levine

Jon Krawczynski‏@APkrawczynski 8h8 hours ago
Among players in David Adelman's corner: Andrew Wiggins. So much so that he wanted him to go for head job when it opened. Lot of respect

Zach HarperVerified account ‏@talkhoops 9h9 hours ago
Orlando Magic pick up David Adelman for Frank Vogel's assistant staff. Really liked his development work with the Wolves.

Jon Krawczynski ‏@APkrawczynski 8h8 hours ago
Got a 3-year deal. Incredibly valuable to Wolves last season in reshaping offense over 2nd half of season
Post #: 1181
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 7:41:40 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Yes, a while ago. He's been interviewing with Orlando the past couple weeks. Officially hired this morning.

Time will tell.
Post #: 1182
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 8:02:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Time will tell.

By all accounts, he was the much more highly regarded coach.
Post #: 1183
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/29/2016 9:30:14 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Time will tell.

By all accounts, he was the much more highly regarded coach.

I am a little disappointed as how things are shaping up. There seems to be real questions on Thibs ability to accurately judge people. I understand he can coach players up. But having some difficulty with accuracy, may become a bigger problem down the road. Will wait and see, but it appears to be a problem in the making.
Post #: 1184
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 4:32:38 AM   
Elliot

Are we really bemoaning the fact that the Country Club has basically been dismantled?

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 1185
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 6:18:28 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

Are we really bemoaning the fact that the Country Club has basically been dismantled?

Absolutely not! I am bemoaning the fact we are replacing one form of ineptitude with another, which maybe equally bad, if not worse. We appear to be throwing out everybody without even looking to see if they were competent. We appear to be doing the same thing with the players. We are keeping Ryan as an olive branch to Glen. We are very slow in replacing people. There appears to be a real infatuation with players whose skills are in decline. Payback seems to be an important consideration.
Post #: 1186
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 6:45:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

I remember when Kahn didn't have a Head Coach and he did a draft. Thibs has Ryan Saunders and a couple others on staff....odds are he has more and they haven't announced it yet. This isn't ineptitude.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/30/2016 6:46:31 AM >

Post #: 1187
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 8:46:30 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Absolutely not! I am bemoaning the fact we are replacing one form of ineptitude with another, which maybe equally bad, if not worse.

Based on Dave Adelman being let go? When a new coach comes in he has specific roles in mind for his staff and most likely has people in mind for those roles. It's not a matter of Adelman being competent or not. It's Thibs wanting his own people. Saunders fills a different role. He is the analytics guy. Not really seeing the problem here.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1188
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 8:48:37 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Absolutely not! I am bemoaning the fact we are replacing one form of ineptitude with another, which maybe equally bad, if not worse. We appear to be throwing out everybody without even looking to see if they were competent. We appear to be doing the same thing with the players. We are keeping Ryan as an olive branch to Glen. We are very slow in replacing people. There appears to be a real infatuation with players whose skills are in decline. Payback seems to be an important consideration.

It's not unusual for a new coach (Not to mention POBO) to clean house. That's the norm in fact. I'll wait and see how things shape up before judging. It's June.

But I do hope he remains open to new ideas and input and doesn't just re-assemble a gang of old cronies. Good coaches need to change with the times and players and situations a little bit.

I have hope that he will try to incorporate new things. Remember he spent a lot of time last season travelling from team to team and absorbing how they do things. So he at least has shown a desire to not just live in the past.

C’mon man
Post #: 1189
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 8:51:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

Would you rather have Sam, Sidney, Wittman, Adelman, and Saunders stay as Asst. Coaches?

One thing I was wondering is if the Saunders Family still is part owner of the TWolves? I thought Flip had 5-10% ownership? Food for thought since I haven't heard anything on it...

Post #: 1190
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 8:55:01 AM   
TJSweens

Well thankfully it looks like Noah is going to sign with the Knicks for a reported $18M per year. That puts an end to the threat of wasting money on him here. My God are the Knicks stupid. What a waste of money.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1191
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 8:55:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

The main guy Thibs picked up is Andy Greer....Toronto Def Bench Coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Greer
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/assistant-coach-andy-greer-leaves-raptors-join-timberwolves/

Post #: 1192
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 9:06:25 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/assistant-coach-andy-greer-leaves-raptors-join-timberwolves/

And that's a crony route that I was talking about. Greer has a long history with Thibs.

And that might be fine, I know nothing about Greer. I just don't want to replace one country club with another. I hope he incorporates at least some new along with the old.

C’mon man
Post #: 1193
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 9:13:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

And that's a crony route that I was talking about. Greer has a long history with Thibs.

And that might be fine, I know nothing about Greer. I just don't want to replace one country club with another. I hope he incorporates at least some new along with the old.

True, Toronto had a hell of a defense last year with him. Casey didn't want to lose him.

Post #: 1194
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 9:35:15 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Found this on Greer.

Renewed defensive strategy has Raptors alive in conference finals

Sounds pretty good.

Only part that raises concern:

quote:

The Raptors admitted they were too preoccupied with Cleveland’s three-point shooting and temporarily abandoned the defense that got them to the Eastern Conference.

“We overemphasized the three-point shot,” Casey said. “Our whole thing the whole year has been protect the paint. We’ve always done that. Against this team, you have to do multiple things. You have to take away the three and defend the paint.”

and

quote:

Greer’s defensive philosophy is centered on reducing the number of the times the ball goes into the paint and getting back in transition defense. Paint touches break down the defense, and quick offense can burn a team not in position.

Protecting the paint is great, but you have to be able to adapt against a great 3 point shooting team.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 6/30/2016 9:37:54 AM >

C’mon man
Post #: 1195
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 9:51:34 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Protecting the paint is great, but you have to be able to adapt against a great 3 point shooting team.

That and defending the P&R are Thibs biggest strengths as a defensive coach.
Post #: 1196
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 9:53:40 AM   
David Levine

quote:

I just don't want to replace one country club with another. I hope he incorporates at least some new along with the old.

He's going to have to. None of his other old assistants are available.

Adams is in GS.
Pinckney is the lead assistant in Denver.
Griffen is in OKC.
Post #: 1197
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 9:57:54 AM   
David Levine

quote:

One thing I was wondering is if the Saunders Family still is part owner of the TWolves? I thought Flip had 5-10% ownership? Food for thought since I haven't heard anything on it...

Yes, Debbie Saunders still owns Flip's shares. I believe its less than 5% - definitely not enough to have any say in matters.
Post #: 1198
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:02:08 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Based on Dave Adelman being let go? When a new coach comes in he has specific roles in mind for his staff and most likely has people in mind for those roles. It's not a matter of Adelman being competent or not. It's Thibs wanting his own people. Saunders fills a different role. He is the analytics guy. Not really seeing the problem here.

For me the issue is Adelman was the developmental coach that had the great rapport with the players. You'd think that would be the guy you'd want to keep to help ease the transition and to give you insight into the players.

Ryan had a much less important role in the team. To me it feels like a concession to keep him - a tribute to his father.
Post #: 1199
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:03:36 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

That and defending the P&R are Thibs biggest strengths as a defensive coach.

Yes I know, Thibs defense is very much good at defending the perimeter. And Greer's defense did successfully limit Cleveland's 3 point shooting somewhat. But apparently at the expense of what had been their bread and butter, defending the lane. They maybe overreacted? I didn't see hardly any of that series so I don't know.

But Cleveland is a team that does a lot of things well offensively, so it is admittedly a tall order to shut them down for a best of 7 game series.

C’mon man
Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode