Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2016 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:11:48 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Protecting the paint is great, but you have to be able to adapt against a great 3 point shooting team.

That and defending the P&R are Thibs biggest strengths as a defensive coach.

Yes I know, Thibs defense is very much good at defending the perimeter. And Greer's defense did successfully limit Cleveland's 3 point shooting somewhat. But apparently at the expense of what had been their bread and butter, defending the lane. They maybe overreacted? I didn't see hardly any of that series so I don't know.

But Cleveland is a team that does a lot of things well offensively, so it is admittedly a tall order to shut them down for a best of 7 game series.

Thibs >>>> Casey
Post #: 1201
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:13:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

One thing I was wondering is if the Saunders Family still is part owner of the TWolves? I thought Flip had 5-10% ownership? Food for thought since I haven't heard anything on it...

Yes, Debbie Saunders still owns Flip's shares. I believe its less than 5% - definitely not enough to have any say in matters.

I only wanted to know that because Doogie never mentions it....I would think Debbie has zero influence on what happens for the operations. I know the players like(d) both Saunders and Adelman.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/30/2016 10:31:14 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1202
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:30:24 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

I remember when Kahn didn't have a Head Coach and he did a draft. Thibs has Ryan Saunders and a couple others on staff....odds are he has more and they haven't announced it yet. This isn't ineptitude.

If I were going to pick a person that stood for ineptitude, I would certainly pick David Kahn! He followed up with many draft day disasters with hiring an equally, if not more Incompetent, head coach. If he hired some moderately competent, before the draft, he might have drafted Curry instead of Flynn.
Post #: 1203
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:34:43 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

One thing I was wondering is if the Saunders Family still is part owner of the TWolves? I thought Flip had 5-10% ownership? Food for thought since I haven't heard anything on it...

Yes, Debbie Saunders still owns Flip's shares. I believe its less than 5% - definitely not enough to have any say in matters.

I only wanted to know that because Doogie never mentions it....I would think Debbie has zero influence on what happens for the operations. I know the players like both Saunders and Adelman.

I don't think its mentioned because its not really a story. Its not enough shares to impact anything, now or if Taylor eventually decides to sell.

According to Britt, Adelman had a lot more impact with the players.
Post #: 1204
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:35:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

I remember when Kahn didn't have a Head Coach and he did a draft. Thibs has Ryan Saunders and a couple others on staff....odds are he has more and they haven't announced it yet. This isn't ineptitude.

If I were going to pick a person that stood for ineptitude, I would certainly pick David Kahn! He followed up with many draft day disasters with hiring an equally, if not more Incompetent, head coach. If he hired some moderately competent, before the draft, he might have drafted Curry instead of Flynn.

Keeping Lawson or drafting Cousins instead of Wes....a lot of mistakes.

Post #: 1205
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:40:50 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Anything less than 50% is not enough to have say in matters, if there is one owner who owns more than 50%.

Trivia. Calvin Griffith only ever owned 26% of the Twins. But his sister Thelma owned another 26% and deferred all decision making to Calvin giving him an effective 52% controlling interest.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 6/30/2016 10:44:17 AM >

C’mon man
Post #: 1206
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 10:42:13 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

Keeping Lawson or drafting Cousins instead of Wes....a lot of mistakes.

Kahn is the poster boy of incompetence. I am happy with his top assistant. I am looking for a scouting department, to assist with free agent evaluations and trades. I still have concerns, but he hasn't done anything too poorly, as of yet.
Post #: 1207
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 2:45:02 PM   
ruffenach

Do the Wolves have any trade exception money let over from old trades or is it all expired? Seems to me there are teams like Atlanta which are looking for
CAP space to sign a free agent. Could the Wolves trade KG and Smith and the acquiring team cut them to free up CAP Space?

< Message edited by ruffenach -- 6/30/2016 2:46:48 PM >
Post #: 1208
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 2:55:32 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Do the Wolves have any trade exception money let over from old trades or is it all expired? Seems to me there are teams like Atlanta which are looking for
CAP space to sign a free agent. Could the Wolves trade KG and Smith and the acquiring team cut them to free up CAP Space?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If a team trades for KG and cuts him, they still owe 8M against their cap.

Greg Smith is not under contract - and I'm pretty sure he was making the minimum.
Post #: 1209
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 3:38:03 PM   
ruffenach

ou
quote:

quote:

Greg Smith is not under contract - and I'm pretty sure he was making the minimum.

That is what I thought. Is there a different rule at the deadline? I see a lot of guys being traded at the deadline and then being immediately cut by the acquiring team. I have read that Smith was on the roister for 2016-17 season. Maybe that was a team option, who knows. Doesn't; make much difference any ways.

< Message edited by ruffenach -- 6/30/2016 3:39:53 PM >
Post #: 1210
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 3:44:16 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I see a lot of guys being traded at the deadline and then being immediately cut by the acquiring team.

Those are generally guys with small contracts and the team opts to eat the salary to clear a roster space.
Post #: 1211
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 3:52:31 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I think you are asking about the Team Option, team trades player, and Team Option is then declined.

Post #: 1212
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 4:11:57 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

I think you are asking about the Team Option, team trades player, and Team Option is then declined.

I don't think that's legal. At least not in the offseason. You can trade for a player with a team option before the deadline during the year and then when the offseason rolls around, you can decline it for the next year.

From Larry Coon:

quote:

Note that players with ending contracts (including players whose contracts might end due to an option or ETO) cannot be traded after the trade deadline (players whose contracts are not ending can be traded after the last day of the team's season and before July 1

And after July 1st its a new NBA year, so the player is either a Free Agent (exercised option) or under contract for the upcoming year (did not exercise option).

< Message edited by David Levine -- 6/30/2016 4:13:14 PM >
Post #: 1213
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 4:19:18 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ou
quote:

quote:

That is what I thought. Is there a different rule at the deadline? I see a lot of guys being traded at the deadline and then being immediately cut by the acquiring team. I have read that Smith was on the roister for 2016-17 season. Maybe that was a team option, who knows. Doesn't; make much difference any ways.

Apparently Smith was under contract:

Shams Charania ✔ @ShamsCharania
Sources: Minnesota has waived center Greg Smith. Smith signed a multiyear deal with the T'Wolves in March.
2:14 PM - 30 Jun 2016
Post #: 1214
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 5:21:40 PM   
shakeywalton

Although I don't like it or agree with it, I'm starting to accept the fact that Rubio will likely be dealt soon. I'm just hoping Thibs holds out like Flip did with Love for a decent return.
Post #: 1215
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 6:32:56 PM   
McMurfy

I don't think he's being traded.
They drafted BPA who also can spell two guard positions and provide depth.
Rubio's not going anywhere, none of them are at least for this season.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1216
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 6/30/2016 6:42:43 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Most of us hope you're right.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1217
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 8:03:28 AM   
ruffenach

The wolves seem to be broken down into 4 groups. Core: KAT, Wiggins, Lavine and Dunn. Next: Bjellica, Rubio and Dieng. Bubble: KG, Pek, Bazz and Jones. Out: Rudez, Prince, Smith and Payne. Of this group the player to net the biggest return is Rubio. If the Wolves want to make a block buster trade, they have to include Rubio. If they want a winning team in the next two seasons, Rubio's skills will be the hardest to replace.
Post #: 1218
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 8:21:21 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

There's no way Dunn, the #5 pick and the first point guard taken was drafted simply for depth. Let's get that out of the way right now.

But I believe what's going on is, as I've said, they want to deal Rubio but they're going to be patient and only do it if and when the right deal comes along. That could be this summer, it could be next year at the trading deadline, it could be next off-season.

And in the meantime they will co-exist, out of necessity not out of grand master plan. Thibs has said they both could play together occasionally and I believe they could. This isn't like David Kahn pretending to know basketball and saying Jonny Flynn and Rubio can play together. But in today's game there are certain times and situations where it's not so much who plays the '1' and and who plays the '2', it's just having two ball handling distributing guards.

The other thing it does if they do both stay around this year is it allows you to hedge your bet on Dunn and see how he plays out and how good he's going to be. If he flops then you still have Rubio around.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 7/1/2016 8:22:51 AM >

C’mon man
Post #: 1219
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 8:37:42 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Sometimes the best deal a team can make is no trade at all.

"You're betraying your whole life if you don't say what you think--and you don't say it honestly and bluntly." --Charles Krauthammer
Post #: 1220
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 9:38:11 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

There's no way Dunn, the #5 pick and the first point guard taken was drafted simply for depth. Let's get that out of the way right now.

But I believe what's going on is, as I've said, they want to deal Rubio but they're going to be patient and only do it if and when the right deal comes along. That could be this summer, it could be next year at the trading deadline, it could be next off-season.

And in the meantime they will co-exist, out of necessity not out of grand master plan. Thibs has said they both could play together occasionally and I believe they could. This isn't like David Kahn pretending to know basketball and saying Jonny Flynn and Rubio can play together. But in today's game there are certain times and situations where it's not so much who plays the '1' and and who plays the '2', it's just having two ball handling distributing guards.

The other thing it does if they do both stay around this year is it allows you to hedge your bet on Dunn and see how he plays out and how good he's going to be. If he flops then you still have Rubio around.

Playing in the manner as I have described gets him 28 minutes a game as a Rookie.
More if Rubio misses anytime.

So yes, Depth.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1221
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 10:14:49 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Playing in the manner as I have described gets him 28 minutes a game as a Rookie.
More if Rubio misses anytime.

So yes, Depth.

If we sign Luol Deng, there likely won't be any SG minutes for Dunn if we keep Ricky.
Post #: 1222
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 10:27:08 AM   
TJSweens

Is signing Deng a near certainty or is it speculation? If we don't sign Deng and Dunn, playing a combo role is successful, it could conceivably turn out to be a long term scenario. Keep in mind Kevin McHale made a couple of All Star games as a 6th man. Before anyone jumps on me I AM NOT PREDICTING IT! I am just pointing out that sometimes plans change when plan B turns out to be successful beyond expectations.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1223
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 10:36:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Is signing Deng a near certainty or is it speculation? If we don't sign Deng and Dunn, playing a combo role is successful, it could conceivably turn out to be a long term scenario. Keep in mind Kevin McHale made a couple of All Star games as a 6th man. Before anyone jumps on me I AM NOT PREDICTING IT! I am just pointing out that sometimes plans change when plan B turns out to be successful beyond expectations.

Speculation.

But even if we don't sign Deng, we're looking at a number of guys that play SG. Moore, Lee, etc.

Thibs has been stressing we need more shooting - and a Rubio/Dunn backcourt doesn't help there.
Post #: 1224
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 10:53:10 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I'm just not buying into this talk about Dunn getting minutes at SG. I think it's just wishful thinking as a way to not cut into Rubios minutes.

It would be out of position. It makes about as much sense as Lavine at PG.

C’mon man
Post #: 1225
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode