Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2016 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  48 49 50 [51] 52   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/1/2016 9:38:06 PM   
David Levine

Moved.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 7/1/2016 10:21:04 PM >
Post #: 1251
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 1:03:24 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I don't think he's being traded.
They drafted BPA who also can spell two guard positions and provide depth.
Rubio's not going anywhere, none of them are at least for this season.

There's no way Dunn, the #5 pick and the first point guard taken was drafted simply for depth. Let's get that out of the way right now.

But I believe what's going on is, as I've said, they want to deal Rubio but they're going to be patient and only do it if and when the right deal comes along. That could be this summer, it could be next year at the trading deadline, it could be next off-season.

And in the meantime they will co-exist, out of necessity not out of grand master plan. Thibs has said they both could play together occasionally and I believe they could. This isn't like David Kahn pretending to know basketball and saying Jonny Flynn and Rubio can play together. But in today's game there are certain times and situations where it's not so much who plays the '1' and and who plays the '2', it's just having two ball handling distributing guards.

The other thing it does if they do both stay around this year is it allows you to hedge your bet on Dunn and see how he plays out and how good he's going to be. If he flops then you still have Rubio around.

We already have solid starters at every position IMO. Dunn certainly could have been drafted for depth. He probably wasn't but he could been.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1252
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 5:42:41 AM   
ruffenach

Dunn was drafted because he was the best player available. It has been reported that Thibs had him as the best player in this draft. I believe that more than I believe a lot of other rumors. Rubio has never been a media favorite. There has been rumors in the media that the Wolves have been trying to trade Rubio since the day he was drafted. Now with the Wolves drafting Dunn, the media will double down. They believe that they are infallible and nobody could disagree with them. All they do is provide entertainment and enjoy creating controversy.
Post #: 1253
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 8:23:48 AM   
ruffenach

Looks like Bazemore signed a big deal with the Hawks after turning down bigger deals from the Lakes and Mavs. David should be much relieved. Wolves are not just throwing money at marginal stars, praying that they can lead them to the prize. Just reshuffling chair on the titanic.
Post #: 1254
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 8:55:41 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

Looks like Bazemore signed a big deal with the Hawks after turning down bigger deals from the Lakes and Mavs. David should be much relieved. Wolves are not just throwing money at marginal stars, praying that they can lead them to the prize. Just reshuffling chair on the titanic.

I think paying marginal players big money is something we all are going to have to get use to.

I also haven't seen any evidence of the Wolves throwing big money at anybody as of yet.
Appears they are being very prudent and backing out of the bidding when it gets too high.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1255
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 1:01:26 PM   
ruffenach

The Wolves have to decide how well Bazz and Deing fit into the teams long term future. And to so, what price? It is better to over pay your own players and someone you know then to over pay subs on another team. The teams that will do the best long term are the teams who can best manage their cap. If you over pay for another teams subs, you are going to create a lot of bad will on your team when you are unable to do the same for your loyal players.
Post #: 1256
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 1:09:20 PM   
ruffenach

4 years, 72 million dollars for Dieng to sign with the Lakers is sticker shock. Good to see that Thibs did not get into this re-union too deep. Bests moves are the ones you did not make. We need minutes for Zach and see how much Dunn can handle a a shooting guard on the NBA level. See how much of a game Jones can develop too. Just say no to insanity.
Post #: 1257
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 1:10:09 PM   
Bill Jandro

Agree. But we still need a few better bench players. I hate not landing Deng because he would just move some players down the totem pole strengthening the bench.

I wonder if we will buy out Pek or KG?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1258
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 1:16:14 PM   
David Levine

We will not buy out Pek. Not when there is still a chance for a medical retirement.
Post #: 1259
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 1:49:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

So can anyone help do some analysis on the Lakers signings? I'm ok with 4/50 to reup Clarkson. But then they signed a stiff for 4/55, some guy named Mazgov or whatever. Then Deng for 4/72.

I know they have cap room but did they blow it? How is Deng? Is he a PF? Anything on the Russian stiff?
Post #: 1260
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 2:10:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

There are unconfirmed reports Mozgov's year 4 is a team option, and year 3 is only partially guaranteed. Still. Guess they have to rebuild in layers.
Post #: 1261
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 2:15:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

So can anyone help do some analysis on the Lakers signings? I'm ok with 4/50 to reup Clarkson. But then they signed a stiff for 4/55, some guy named Mazgov or whatever. Then Deng for 4/72.

I know they have cap room but did they blow it? How is Deng? Is he a PF? Anything on the Russian stiff?

Deng is great. Can be a big SF or a small PF. Decent scorer, decent shooter, good defender. 4 years may be a bit much.

Mozgov is a decent role player. Big body, some skills.

LA has a ton of solid role players, not sure they have any stars.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 7/2/2016 8:55:58 PM >
Post #: 1262
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 2:58:59 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Deng is great. Can be a big SF or a small PF. Decent scorer, decent shooter, good defender. 4 years may be a bit much.

Mongol is a decent role player. Big body, some skills.

Thanks. I guess they have to wait for the young core (DeAngelo, Ingram, Clarkson, Randle) to grow and in the meantime sign some role players. I think Nance Jr is a sleeper.

Just another team at this point.
Post #: 1263
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 3:27:12 PM   
Matt Lang

Mozgov was pretty good in the finals for Cleveland last year. This year he didn't do so much
Post #: 1264
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 7:34:38 PM   
Steve Lentz

• The Celtics have won the Al Horford sweepstakes, agreeing to a four-year, $113 million deal with the center. While the Hawks made a late push, and Horford dropped his demand of a full five-year max deal, the two sides were ultimately $6 million apart. At one point, Horford even preferred the Wizards. (Adrian Wojnarowski, The Vertical)

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1265
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 7:36:10 PM   
Steve Lentz

• The Celtics’ meeting with Durant was still going on as of 7:30 p.m. ET, meaning the two were in the same room when Horford agreed to sign with Boston. (Sam Amick, USA Today)

Post #: 1266
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 8:10:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Hmm. The rich get richer. I'm going to hate the Celtics, now.

"You're betraying your whole life if you don't say what you think--and you don't say it honestly and bluntly." --Charles Krauthammer
Post #: 1267
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 8:14:07 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Even more.
Post #: 1268
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/2/2016 8:14:17 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Because they signed Horford?

Post #: 1269
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/3/2016 6:45:32 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Well, it looks like Horford and Durant.

"You're betraying your whole life if you don't say what you think--and you don't say it honestly and bluntly." --Charles Krauthammer
Post #: 1270
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/3/2016 7:11:15 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

Well, it looks like Horford and Durant.

Yes, at least that is what his agent is pushing for. They are still going to visit with the Heat, but i don't think that the Heat have enough men for Durant to go there.
Post #: 1271
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/3/2016 8:52:12 AM   
Steve Lentz

I sincerely doubt Durant is going anywhere.

Post #: 1272
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/3/2016 10:19:20 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks. I guess they have to wait for the young core (DeAngelo, Ingram, Clarkson, Randle) to grow and in the meantime sign some role players. I think Nance Jr is a sleeper.

Need another defender(Byombo, Ezeli) to get to respectability(30-35 wins) imo.
Post #: 1273
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/3/2016 11:18:15 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Biyombo signed with Orlando.
Post #: 1274
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 7/3/2016 2:43:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually they need the current group to learn to play defense because they already have the following as their top 8:

Russell
Clarkson
Lou Williams
Randle
Nance
Ingram
Deng
Molotov

Seems Deng and Molotov are the only ones who even know what defense is. Maybe Ingram does.

The rest of them will have to play D to go anywhere no matter who is signed because they have the bulk of the minutes.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 7/3/2016 2:46:32 PM >
Post #: 1275
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 50 [51] 52   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  48 49 50 [51] 52   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode