Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2016 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/18/2016 12:29:28 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Anyone think #2 pick and Julius Randle for Blake Griffin is a fair trade?

Probably not. Unless Doc loves Simmons or Ingram as a SF.

But even then I'm not sure the #2 pick has enough weight in this draft.

And its a gamble for the Lakers. Do Russell, Clarkson and, say DeRozan (since he seems frequently linked to LA) form enough of a core for Blake to resign after the season? I'm not so sure.

My pie in sky hopes would be this trade, Durant and Ezeli.

More realistic is Ezeli, Barnes or DeRozan and keep #2.
Post #: 151
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/18/2016 12:40:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

And its a gamble for the Lakers. Do Russell, Clarkson and, say DeRozan (since he seems frequently linked to LA) form enough of a core for Blake to resign after the season? I'm not so sure.

My pie in sky hopes would be this trade, Durant and Ezeli.

More realistic is Ezeli, Barnes or DeRozan and keep #2.

Russell/DeRozan/Ingram/Randle/Ezeli

Its interesting. I'm not sure how high the upside is, because I don't see a superstar on that roster - but they could be fun to watch.
Post #: 152
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/21/2016 11:44:58 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

No way.

Keep the pick, take whoever is left between Simmons and Ingram.

Then you've got 3 young players with cheap contracts. Maybe you deal Randle for someone who is a better fit into what they are trying to accomplish AND works with the salary structure in the mid-term.

The core and $68 million should suffice without getting cute with trades.
Post #: 153
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/21/2016 11:50:00 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Russell
Clarkson (?)
Ingram (hopefully)
Whiteside (FA)
PF. Nance may end up being as valuable as Randle so trade Randle for something.

Still a pretty thin roster.

Bring in two starting free agents.
Post #: 154
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/21/2016 11:51:11 AM   
Bill Johanesen

This is like previous Vikings drafts... too many holes to fix in an offseason.
Post #: 155
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/21/2016 1:36:50 PM   
Bill Jandro

Ingram looks like he could hide behind a flag pole

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 156
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/21/2016 4:48:16 PM   
Stacey King

Don’t expect Kris Dunn to be donning green anytime soon … at least not Celtics green.

The agents for Providence College guard Kris Dunn reportedly are attempting to push the Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns away from selecting him in next month’s NBA draft, according to The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Dunn’s camp, per the report, has concern about the presence of an established point guard on both teams. The Suns feature a talented, young backcourt of Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight, while the Celtics have Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier and (potentially) Evan Turner regularly handling the ball.

Dunn is prepared to withhold medical records and refuse both workouts and interviews with both teams, Wojnarowski added. Moving down in the draft from the potential third pick to the fifth or lower could have financial repercussions for Dunn. By not wanting to play for the Celtics or Suns, Kris Dunn would be giving up $5.4 million on his rookie deal from 3rd pick to 5th.

As Wojnarowski points out, though, a team could trade up to select Dunn. “People are gonna want to see those (medical reports) to make a decision on him,” Wojnarowski said, as transcribed by CelticsBlog. “And now his group is gonna maybe be able to control this process and get him to a place where a team is gonna trade up into No. 3 or 4 for him. (His agents) can’t stop them from drafting Dunn, but will those teams do it without his medical records, without a personal workout, without an interview with him?”

Boston likely would have to move one of those young guards if they want to add Dunn, but if they like him enough, a trade to accommodate the athletic prospect wouldn’t be surprising. As CelticsBlog’s Kevin O’Connor notes, Dunn, who stands 6-foot-4 with a 6-foot-10 wingspan, has a similar defensive makeup to Smart but is “significantly more advanced offensively,” and is a better shooter off the dribble than Rozier.

Because of those résumé boosters, Woj doesn’t think a trade is out of the realm of possibility. “I think those picks will be in play and you’re gonna see teams further back in the draft want to (target Dunn and Dragan Bender),” Woj said. “You’re going to see a bidding process, I think, with Boston, Phoenix.

I think there’s going to be a lot of deals in this draft and it’ll be a lot of fun.”

< Message edited by Stacey King -- 5/21/2016 4:51:19 PM >
Post #: 157
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/21/2016 8:03:58 PM   
Matt Lang

Eff him. I don't like it when draftees pull that prima donna BS.

If he had any stones, he'd figure he'd go there and beat out the other PGs for the starting job.
Post #: 158
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 12:05:01 AM   
Black 47

Hopefully Thibs is taking notes.
Post #: 159
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 8:34:34 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

If he had any stones, he'd figure he'd go there and beat out the other PGs for the starting job.

Does he think he can beat out Rubio? Whatever. Celtics and Suns wouldn't draft him anyway. He's just making himself look bad.
Pulling stunts like this IMO also make it less likely somebody is going to trade up for him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 160
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 9:08:18 AM   
Stacey King

Top 2 picks set.

and Bender will not get to 5.

0dds are if Wolves keep pick at 5, two of these three players will be there to select from:

Jaylen Brown
Kris Dunn
Jamal Murray

I'd say we are moving the pick.

odds are it will be for a vet but if a trade is made to move back then Denver with picks 7, 15 & 19 is the one with ammo. Unless they want to go even higher than 5...say Boston's slot at 3.
Post #: 161
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 10:11:44 AM   
David Levine

The problem with trading for a vet is who are you going to get?

You aren't getting a Jimmy Butler. Do you gamble on a mediocre player that is going to be due for a new high contract shortly at the expense of a rookie that you'll control for ~9 years?

If we use our cap space on a vet and take back salary in a trade, can we still afford to keep guys like Zach and Dieng as they get more expensive?

I can't think of a player that would be available for the #5 that makes more sense than taking a chance on a rookie.
Post #: 162
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 10:13:07 AM   
David Levine

quote:

It worked for Steph Curry. He refused to workout/interview for Golden State (and us)...
Post #: 163
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 10:14:09 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

Top 2 picks set.

and Bender will not get to 5.

0dds are if Wolves keep pick at 5, two of these three players will be there to select from:

Jaylen Brown
Kris Dunn
Jamal Murray

I'd say we are moving the pick.

odds are it will be for a vet but if a trade is made to move back then Denver with picks 7, 15 & 19 is the one with ammo. Unless they want to go even higher than 5...say Boston's slot at 3.

Would pick 15 be enough to move up from 7-5. Seems like pick seven could be odd team out as IMO there is a definite top six in this draft. If they offered 7-15-19 I would of course be all over that, but probably have to throw them a bone back in the deal.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 164
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 10:17:53 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

It worked for Steph Curry. He refused to workout/interview for Golden State (and us)...

LMAO he refused to work out for GS and they took him anyway.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 165
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 10:30:07 AM   
David Levine

I'm starting to think I'd take Baldwin or Korkmaz over Murray, Dunn or Hield.

I think both have more upside potential.
Post #: 166
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 11:21:52 AM   
Steve Lentz

If it can be worked out the Wolves will trade. None of Murray, Hield or Dunn come without flaws that the Wolves can afford. Thibs like defense, but Dunn is not a great ball handler or shooter that the Wolves really need. Hield and Murray would supply some outside shooting, but do little to upgrade the defense. This team needs a sold veteran if possible and at the worst gather up some extra picks by trading down.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 167
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 12:10:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

If it can be worked out the Wolves will trade. None of Murray, Hield or Dunn come without flaws that the Wolves can afford. Thibs like defense, but Dunn is not a great ball handler or shooter that the Wolves really need. Hield and Murray would supply some outside shooting, but do little to upgrade the defense. This team needs a sold veteran if possible and at the worst gather up some extra picks by trading down.

Somebody on the Timberwolves Central site pointed out that if we trade pick five for a solid vet not only do we lose the draft pick but we also lose the cap room. We could likely keep the pick take BPA and get somebody FA about as good as we could trade the pick for. I'm not in favor of trading the pick unless somebody makes an outrageous offer for it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 168
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 12:52:24 PM   
Stacey King

zgoada

One thing to keep in mind as workouts progress & the draft approaches: Kris Dunn is represented by CAA, which also reps Thibs and KAT

Thibideau makes it a point to bring up defense in most of his blurbs/short answers to questions lately. Dunn can play D.
Post #: 169
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 1:05:14 PM   
Stacey King

IIRC from zgoda's live chat mid week:

Payne will be looked to be off loaded hard

KAT & Wiggins are THE two pieces to build around as far as this regime is considered. (LeVine not mentioned as a 3rd was surprising given his improvement in latter stages of this season)

Taylor wants to go full steam ahead now. Thibodeau and Layden can be very aggressive if opportunity is there

LeVine, and Rickey even could be on the table if Thibodeau sees something do-able trade wise to jump start the winning.

Threw out the 76ers as a Rickey possibility. a dark horse if a trade was really possible
Post #: 170
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 2:19:14 PM   
drew

Would Zach and #5 be even a starting point for Butler?
Post #: 171
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 2:22:21 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

Doubt it.

Chicago isn't going to trade a star to Thibs unless it's an incredibly one sided deal.

The entire Chicago media is still on Thibs' side over GarPax, so if they lost a deal to him...
Post #: 172
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 2:29:03 PM   
Stacey King

If we would have gotten #1 overall it would have been at least in the realm of possibility.
Post #: 173
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 2:31:44 PM   
drew

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

Doubt it.

Chicago isn't going to trade a star to Thibs unless it's an incredibly one sided deal.

The entire Chicago media is still on Thibs' side over GarPax, so if they lost a deal to him...

Yeah, I was listening to Barreiro right after we hired Thibs and he had on some columnist from Chicago. He basically said every argument Thibs had with GarPax has eventually shown Thibs to be right. They probably would get run out of town.

I think Butler would be perfect here though. Defensive minded and him and Wiggins would be a helluva combo at 2/3. Having those two athletes covering the wings would be pretty special.

I better stop my fantasy, though!!
Post #: 174
RE: 2016 NBA Draft - 5/22/2016 2:33:48 PM   
David Levine

I'd still happily take Davis at #5. He's the guy Thibs could mold into a killer defender.

I just can't get excited about Murray, Dunn or Hield.
Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2016 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode