Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Wolves 2016 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> Wolves 2016 Game Day Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 8:49:00 AM   
TJSweens

New season starts 0-1. Towns looked like one of the best players in the NBA for a quarter and couldn't get his head out of his ass for the next three.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 9:06:00 AM   
lylej

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

New season starts 0-1. Towns looked like one of the best players in the NBA for a quarter and couldn't get his head out of his ass for the next three.

Yup....free throw shooting killed them also!

Good pitching will beat good hitting any time, and vice versa.
Post #: 2
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 10:06:51 AM   
kgdabom

That loss hurt more than any opening loss in any sport I can remember. I have such high hopes for this team and we had so many opportunities to win. Towns calls Marc Gasol the toughest opponent he has ever faced. Maybe giving him too much respect or letting him get inside his head.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 10:26:48 AM   
lylej

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

That loss hurt more than any opening loss in any sport I can remember. I have such high hopes for this team and we had so many opportunities to win. Towns calls Marc Gasol the toughest opponent he has ever faced. Maybe giving him too much respect or letting him get inside his head.

Well, the Grizzles have made the playoffs in at least the last four years.....however, I expected better defense from our group!

Good pitching will beat good hitting any time, and vice versa.
Post #: 4
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 11:03:26 AM   
David Levine

Game 1 thoughts:

KAT: Brilliant 1st quarter, but I'm not sure playing all 12 minutes was a good idea. After that he floated too much. Took some poor 3s when other guys were open for better shots. Marc Gasol is one of the best big defenders in the league, but I would've liked to have seen KAT use his quickness against him more. 4 rebounds and 1 FTA in 36 minutes is not acceptable. The 5 assists were nice to see. He also struggled defending the perimeter - one of the reasons I don't like him at PF.

Drew: Other than forcing some tough shots, and too much iso ball, there was a lot to like. 14 FTAs, 7 rebounds, and his defense looked improved. I actually saw a defensive stance, and his timing on help defense was better than I've ever seen from him.

Zach: He needs to figure out what to do when he gets near the basket on drives that don't result in dunks. His finishing around the rim is worse than Ricky. It looks like he's flinging the ball near the rim hoping to draw contact.

Ricky was OK. We're super reliant on him to run any kind of half court offense. Did not look confident in his shot last night. Defense was good, Conley is a tough cover for everyone in the league and Rubio held him in check when he was on him.

Dieng: Felt like an "empty" 12/14 night. He got lost a lot on defense - especially against the PnR, had no chance trying to guard ZBo, and just seems a couple steps slow in decision making.

Dunn: His first stint was a mess, This pulled him, yelled at him and he was much improved when he came back in. Did not take bad shots, did a good job attacking inside and showed some serious defensive chops - but plenty of rookie mistakes too. When he learns the league he has a chance to be an elite defender. Did not show much aptitude for running a half court offense.

Also this:

Cole: Solid in his 9 minutes.

Bazz, Rush, Bjelica: We may have been better not playing any of them last night. Brutal.

Overall:

Way too little movement on offense, way too much ISO ball. The 2nd half Memphis started really pressuring off the ball and it just choked off all movement and pretty much eliminated "drive and kick out" opportunities. When Memphis got physical, we did not respond well.

Way too many missed FTs.

Defensively we were much improved at the rim, but we got absolutely killed on perimeter screens. Every Grizz screen led to a totally open 3 point attempt.

Takeaway:

No one on the Wolves really had a great game and we still almost beat a playoff team on the road.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 10/27/2016 11:05:41 AM >
Post #: 5
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 11:09:49 AM   
David Levine

And much more of this, please:

Post #: 6
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 11:18:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Drew: Other than forcing some tough shots, and too much iso ball, there was a lot to like. 14 FTAs, 7 rebounds, and his defense looked improved. I actually saw a defensive stance, and his timing on help defense was better than I've ever seen from him.

Drew seemed to get better as the game went on. I agree on the iso ball. There were times when he looked like he couldn't decide what he wanted to do, but damn it he was going to do something. Those usually ended with him going through every move he had as fast as he could and throwing up a bad shot.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 7
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 11:38:09 AM   
McMurfy

Maybe if we all stopped calling him Drew, as if he was our nephew, he'd start paying like an All Star.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 8
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 11:56:15 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Maybe if we all stopped calling him Drew, as if he was our nephew, he'd start paying like an All Star.

Need Gardy-isms

Wiggy

Town-dog

Zachy

Ruby

G-dog

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 12:02:59 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

OK, why don't you supply us with a list of McMurfy approved names.

Post #: 10
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 12:18:38 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Really?
Memphis is a tough match up and we were at their place. Gasol is too strong and smart for Towns at this point. We don't have the physical players to handle their front line and Conley always gives us trouble. Memphis was also missing a couple key players. The West is really loaded. I see us at around 42 wins this year.
I was disappointed in our bench and our ability to defend the 3 point line as that has been discussed so much. Need to give Thibs some time with this young team.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 11
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 12:35:45 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

Andrew
Wiggins
Andrew Wiggins

Mr Fantastic

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/must-see-a-very-young-andrew-wiggins-calls-himself-mr-fantastic/

< Message edited by McMurfy -- 10/27/2016 12:38:10 PM >

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 12
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 1:06:37 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Andrew
Wiggins
Andrew Wiggins

Mr Fantastic

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/must-see-a-very-young-andrew-wiggins-calls-himself-mr-fantastic/

What else you got?

Post #: 13
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 1:35:55 PM   
David Levine

Positives, posted by Toom1 at Canis:

PTS in the paint MIN 44 MEM 34
Second Chance pts MIN 22 MEM 20
Fast Break pts MIN 13 MEM 5
Total TOV MIN 11 MEM 13
OFF-REB MIN 15 MEM 10
AST MIN 20 MEM 19
AST% MIN 56 MEM 53%

DEF-REB% MIN 73% MEM 69%
DEF-REB was allways a weakness of in the previous 2 years

And the most important stats of the night: almost every MEM shot was contested by our players
DEF contested-shots MIN 78/80 MEM 76/86

And Cole Aldrich didn’t allow his opponents to grab any OFF-REB

----------------

So basically if Memphis doesn't hit a normally unsustainable % of 3s, it likely would've been an easy win.
Post #: 14
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 2:01:42 PM   
David Levine

Also from Toom1:

Opponents efg% (weighted for 3FGM)
Bazz 58%
Kat 58%
Bjeli 55%
Dunn 54%
Brush 54%
LV 51%
RR 50%
Wiggs 49%
Dieng 46%
Aldrich 46%

Min total OPP EFG% 51%, OPP regular FG% 45%
MEM total OPP EFG% 45%, OPP regular FG 45%

KAT allowed at the rim 63% 7/11(last year he allowed 49%)

So, it was all 3%, and KAT at the rim defense
Post #: 15
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 2:17:33 PM   
David Levine

1 more thought about the game. Its going to be a bit before we really look good defensively.

This defense is very synergistic between the players. We saw when all 5 guys were in sync, Memphis could barely get a shot off. But as soon as 1 or 2 guys are off, it creates holes in the system.

Now Memphis features a bunch of veteran players. Gasol, ZBo, Conley, Carter...These guys have a lot of experience playing against Thibs, and they probably understand some of our defensive concepts better than our own kids do.

Basically, when we screw up, they know how to exploit it.

Not at all a fatal flaw. Just growing pains. As we get better, and things become second nature, those screws will become less and less frequent.
Post #: 16
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 4:47:08 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Andrew
Wiggins
Andrew Wiggins

Mr Fantastic

What else you got?

AW?
Post #: 17
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/27/2016 5:15:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Really?
Memphis is a tough match up and we were at their place. Gasol is too strong and smart for Towns at this point. We don't have the physical players to handle their front line and Conley always gives us trouble. Memphis was also missing a couple key players. The West is really loaded. I see us at around 42 wins this year.
I was disappointed in our bench and our ability to defend the 3 point line as that has been discussed so much. Need to give Thibs some time with this young team.

As you stated they were missing some players. We had the huge lead. We had the 4 point lead with 2:49 to go. We simply found a way to lose the game. That is why I was so disappointed. Regardless of Gasol being smart and strong Towns should be able to use his superior gifts to overcome that. The loss hurt a lot.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 18
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/28/2016 7:58:06 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Really?

As you stated they were missing some players. We had the huge lead. We had the 4 point lead with 2:49 to go. We simply found a way to lose the game. That is why I was so disappointed. Regardless of Gasol being smart and strong Towns should be able to use his superior gifts to overcome that. The loss hurt a lot.

The Wolves have to move the ball very quickly to be successful. Once the ball movement slows, physical teams have an advantage. KAT needs to learn how to properly use his assets against players like Gasol, who gives him and most players fits. Too bad Pek can't play against Gasol. KAT will bulk up soon too.
Post #: 19
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/28/2016 8:19:46 AM   
El Duderino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Andrew
Wiggins
Andrew Wiggins

Mr Fantastic

What else you got?

AW?

That gives me visions of him gliding into the lane and putting up a root beer floater.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 20
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/29/2016 1:49:37 PM   
Steve Lentz

Joerger and Thibs tonight. Battle of defensive minded coaches.

Post #: 21
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/29/2016 11:22:37 PM   
Steve Lentz

Timberwolves have blown an 18 point lead and are now down 9 points.
Kings are shutting us down completely in the 3rd quarter.

Post #: 22
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/29/2016 11:49:05 PM   
Black 47

Rubio injured. Could be a blessing in disguise.
Post #: 23
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/29/2016 11:53:28 PM   
Black 47

Rubio goes out. Offense comes alive. Tie game. 3 minutes to play.
Post #: 24
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/29/2016 11:57:26 PM   
Black 47

Not impressed with Rubio as a defender either. He gives great effort, but out of control? Is that a fair description? Seems his guy is always draining the open 3.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> Wolves 2016 Game Day Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode